Cole's Greenwich Village
118 Greenwich Ave.
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cole's Greenwich Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.colesgreenwichvillage.com/
- Phone: 2122425966x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: With three distinct areas of the restaurant, Cole's has the ideal setting for your next private affair. Whether celebrating with family and friends or hosting a business meeting, Cole's can accommodate all your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Private Party Coordinator 8667608640
A word from Cole's Greenwich Village
Inspired by the artistic scene of 1950’s Greenwich Village, Steven Gambrel designed the 94-seat space to evoke the decade that earned the neighborhood the romantic reputation it has to this day. Each one of the intimate rooms has its own distinct feel, incorporating retro and contemporary design elements. Burlap panels in the Dining Room are the backdrop for the art provided by charity partner ACRIA (AIDS Community Research Initiative of America) ranging from ’50s-era sketches to ’90s street art. The Café, situated between The Bottle Room and the Dining Room, is lined with wooden plank booths ideal for groups while The Bottle Room offers seating at the bar and high tables, and is lined with amber-toned panels reminiscent of the warm hues emanated from light hitting a whiskey bottle.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cole's Greenwich Village reviews from OpenTable diners
- KDA123Dined on 5/11/2014I had a terrible experience. I went to Coles for mothers day, with my Mom and Aunty from Australia and Coles was closed. We had to look for another brunch location in the West Village on one of the busiest days of the year. I called Coles and looked on the website but did not receive an answer or reason for the restaurant's closure. I received the confirmation e-mail from Opentable with the correct date, time, year and location so I am slightly perplexed at this.
- Irresponsible, HorribleSfgj456VIPDined on 5/11/2014I arrived on Mothers Day with 6 people and a reservation to find this place CLOSED, and I later learned they'd been shut down for days. Apparently they have no desire or ability -- even with all the confirmation emails flying around-- to let people know of their closure like an upstanding concern might do. Thanks, COLE's, for letting me scramble around on a hot Mother's Day in New York City with elderly women in tow.Special Features:
- A bustSparkyVIPDined on 5/11/2014I made a reservation on Open Table for lunch for Mother's Day and when we arrived at the restaurant it was closed for the day.
- It has closed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/7/2014However, my reservation was accepted on Open Table, but when we arrived at 9 it had closed. No sign on the door. I think it has shut.
- Fabulous Coles in West VillageWVillageDinerDined on 4/30/2014Have had dinner here quite a few times since they opened. Recent dinner was absolutely fabulous with the best kale salad I have ever had. Found out they have a new chef and his craft is superb. Service as always was exceptional. Where do they find the wait staff, they are all so helpful and eager to help with even the craziest request. Love this place, even more so that it's a block away....and there's that kale salad. Yum. Great bar for pre-dinner or anytime drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place, good food.MissMiaDined on 4/21/2014Had an unexpectedly great time at Cole's on a Monday night. The food (especially the gnocchi) and the service (a lovely man came around and topped our wine off, no charge) were very good. The decor and atmosphere were lovely. Bathrooms are clean. The music was a little loud and the genre choice (dance music) was a bit odd, but that's not a reason to stay away.Special Features:
- The restaurant was completely emptyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/2/2014..at 9:00. We chose to eat in the bar area because the restaurant was so dead. Food was very disappointing.
- A Brit's Eye ViewBritsEyeViewDined on 3/29/2014Good decor, buzzy atmosphere, popular and packed with positive people. No record of our booking though but table provided. Waiter as attentive as the number of diners allowed. Looked overworked and perhaps unsupported by his team in that I was offered a tumbler from which to drink my wine because wine glasses had run out! The menu is a little unclear and ambiguous. My choice, listed as squash spaghetti, was neither spaghetti squash vegetable as expected, nor contained visible squash, just plain wheat spaghetti with no sign of squash. Delicious though. My friends' choices of salmon and pork were well presented pieces of protein but could have benefitted from more accompanying vegetables. An enjoyable visit though. Recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite surprisedsbassDined on 3/1/2014I have eaten at Coles before a few times not long after it opened and loved the atmosphere, the convenience to my home, and the food wasn't bad at all. Now maybe there's a new chef or NO chef. The food was lackluster, under seasoned, and just generic. The mushroom risotto had absolutely no flavor AT ALL, the Brussels sprouts were tepid and dull, and the cheesecake, honestly my dog could make a better cheesecake. it was sweet. That's all one can say. If David Rabin is still the owner he needs to look at the kitchen. All his other enterprises are flawless so how is Coles slipping through the cracks?
- CHIC YET HOMEY, GREAT COMBOMIRAONORMADined on 2/22/2014It was a super brunch! Everyone was very happy with what they ordered. The staff were very accommodating to our little group. The waiters are true professionals in the way they pour the wine and make suggestions, as opposed to that all-too-familiar sweet bumbling type so often encountered at other Village restos. Big plus, no annoying loud music in the background so we were able to enjoy our conversation. The egg dishes are nicely done, and the fries are presented in the cute cups one finds in Belgian spots. Sunlight poured through the large windows and played beautiful colors over the amber bottle display. I mean, why this restaurant doesn't have a long line on the street baffles me. Coles is a true find in the West Village. Loved it! Go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every way!JoeVDined on 2/5/2014Went with 3 colleagues, the restaurant has so much character and charm. The service and food were first class. I would recommend this great find to anyone who loves a neighborhood restaurant with incredible character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Listen to the QuietdjjayVIPDined on 1/25/2014...and enjoy your meal. This is a lovely restaurant with good food and a rare thing these days but a place where you can actually hear what your dining companion is saying. The main dining room is nicely decorated, cozy and intimate. The menu is straightforward and the food well prepared. I recommend Coles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2013Given the night the place was empty. It was therefore really quiet. The service was friendly and quick. The food was good but not great. The beet salad was made with lemon rather than vinegar, an excellent choice. The duck breast and the hamburger were good but not great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absent Waiter and Soggy FriesFoodDoctorVIPDined on 12/20/2013Our waiter disappeared and the restaurant was empty so no excuses. The french fries were soggy. There are many other neighborhood places that get it right.
- DisappointingLizBBVIPDined on 12/7/2013Based on the hype and this restaurant being on Urban Daddy's current hot list, we were disappointed with the flow of service and lack of organized timing. The table next to us had to practically beg for bread because their orders were taking too long to come out. Likewise, so did ours...our server was hard to track down because he was busy attending to other tables. He was nice, but didn't do a great job explaining several items on the menu, e.g., my "normal" size appetizer that he said would be fine as an entree was the opposite. For the prices, overall disappointing service. I doubt I will return.
- Sane Place with Great Food/AmbienceimalocalVIPDined on 11/10/2013Noise level was normal and food was great. Good selection of brunch options and friendly staff. And a great Bloody Mary. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a let down.ChristianVIPDined on 10/26/2013Maybe they need better management? There is definitely a chance for this great location/decor restaurant but we were not happy with the horrible service and mediocre food. Sorry.
- Good food, though some itemsElleCVIPDined on 10/23/2013Good food, though some items not served to temperature. Attentive, informative, friendly service. Nice ambience, but little contrived/sterile.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cole has a cool hip vibegwfoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2013I've been to this place before when it was packed and very noisy. But went on Monday night and it was very clam and much easier to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute village restaurantNYCmumVIPDined on 10/4/2013Charming restaurant but we will not go back. Menu is limited and the last room of restaurant is extremely loud on a Friday night. It was especially difficult to enjoy our conversation.
- Very much a scenestaurantNinethreerVIPDined on 9/20/2013Cole's is very much a scenestaurant. The decor and ambiance are great; the cocktails are not bad, even good, compared to other restaurants, but definitely not remarkable. The food, however, was a huge disappointment. We found it to be very overpriced ($30 for a hanger steak) -- but beyond that, very mediocre in quality. My steak and potatoes were extremely over salted and otherwise uninspiring. The appetizers were likewise very appealing on the menu but very poorly executed. Cole's needs to seriously review its choice of Chef and the attention/quality it puts into the food.Special Features:
- Just okayStarvingVIPDined on 8/16/2013Service was good. Waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. Ambience was great. However, food was just okay. Not very flavorful. Very small portions and pricey. Probably won't go back for dinner, but may try the bar.
- Greater interval between mealsLulaDined on 8/2/2013The food was really delicious. The only problem is that they didn't allow a 10 minutes break between the meals, they were all served in a row. I didn't even had the chance to finish my cocktail before the entree... That is not nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service - Food....not so muchGoooooodEating5555Dined on 7/26/2013Right off the bat the service and the staff were surprisingly friendly. Typically the good restaurants below 14th street have a 'stuffy' staff - this was a great surprise. The Bartender Joe was awesome. Hostess was very friendly and accommodating, and the waitress couldn't have been nicer. Unfortunately - the food doesn't live up to the staff. The menu is soo small everything they make should be out of this world - but it wasn't. I would recommend anyone to come in and have drinks. Once they figure out their menu, this place will be a hotspot.
- Good food/drinks, cool designOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2013Cole's is a solid neighborhood spot with great cocktails, good food, polite service, and cool yet elegant design (picture the inside of a Pullman-esque train car). My table ordered pork & hanger steak. The meat was very good - quality cuts, cooked spot on, with just the right balanced, complementary seasoning; the sides with the entrees were less impressive - not bad, but just not nearly at the same level. The fingerling potatoes would have benefited from a chop or smash in their preparation, rather than arriving wholly intact - preventing the seasoning from permeating throughout - and without the satisfying variety of texture or depth of nutty flavor that good caramelization would have contributed. But that said, I ate every last bite.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful decor on a quiet SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/14/2013We went there for Sunday brunch. The decor was beautiful and the food was delicious and the vibe was quiet. Would try it again for lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was great except serviceBoogieGayVIPDined on 7/10/2013Firstly, I love this place. It's a charming space in a great neighborhood. Great bartender Joe who's charming ins gruff NYC way. Great food and simple menu. Our service tho left a lot to be desired the night we were there. I'd definitely recommend it, hoping that it was just and off night with and off server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous menu; all the standardsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/1/2013Fabulous menu; all the standards [calamari, salmon, chicken, steak]; but done with a twist and certainly not the standard meal. Top notchSpecial Features:
- we liked it a lot , only theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/27/2013we liked it a lot , only the noice level was extremely loud....Special Features:
- Great addition to the neighborhoodpknyVIPDined on 6/18/2013Cole's has become my new go-to place for dinner to catch up with friends or just have a one-on-one. Great bar scene and fantastic dining room designed by Steve Gambrel add up to a wonderful experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its terrific, worth a stop inmiloshVIPDined on 6/13/2013Everything about Cole's exceeded my expectations, not easily done after so many years living in NYC. The staff was very attentive, gave us a terrific table and the whole experience was a pleasure. Food was a home run the entire time. My sister is a vegetarian and there were many options, plus the waiter was very flexible to make sure she was happy. We did go on the early side and it fills up very fast and it gets a nice buzzy energy going, but its not too much of a scene, which I no longer am interested in. Its just a lively restaurant for people that enjoy good food and drink and want to kick back for a bit. Its simple, be nice to others and you will get that in return, not just at Cole's, in general.Special Features:
- The food was indelible, notAfmmmmDined on 6/11/2013The food was indelible, not prepared well and the service was inattentive. The waiter never asked if something was wrong with the food, he simply cleared the uneaten entree and disappeared for ten minutes while he chatted with his colleagues.Special Features:
- ChicRaymanDined on 5/21/2013A very pretty place. Feels like what it must have been like in Paris in the 40s. The food is fine.Special Features:
- Value for dollar not stellarNickieDined on 5/21/2013I would have rated Cole's higher overall but its menu is overpriced, especially compared to new and established competitors from Tenth Ave to Seventh and below roughly 20th St.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time here!diego175VIPDined on 5/18/2013They were extremely accommodating to my diet needs. The service was very good and the steak was fabulous. So far so good. At this point I would definitely recommend them. I live in the neighborhood and am happy to find a new place that's so good. A pleasant surprise. I hope it continues to be this good!Special Features:
- Had to leave, just terrible serviceEricDined on 5/11/2013Came for an afternoon brunch with family on Saturday after seeing the Journal's review. Menu looked great - as did the decor. The server must have been having an off day - was just tremendously rude (had three tables including ours). He was gruff and dismissive - and after fifteen minutes we decided it just wasn't worth continuing the experience. Hopefully the wait staff at dinner isn't the same.
- My First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/3/2013The waiter was very helpful and enthusiastic with his suggestions with things to eat. Service was pleasant and efficient. The side dishes were particular good and interesting. While I love duck mine as a bit too done and a bit too salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken had amazing FlavorSocratesDined on 4/26/2013Chicken had amazing Flavor and the Halibut specialWas spectacular. Not to mention the CalamariSpecial Features:
- Perhaps next time it will be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2013I enjoyed my cod fish however the rest of the party were not impressed - up there with price and the service was quite poor. Bar person NOT at all friendly (he needs to get a new job, one that he likes) - I liked the look and feel of the place but wouldn't recommend at the moment..............will give it a 2nd try in 6 months time
- I was surprised and very disappointDicksterVIPDined on 4/21/2013I was surprised and very disappointed after reading about the restaurant in a number of places. My chicken was overcooked, the other mains at our table were not noteworthy. The waiter was sincere and well intentioned...but not a waiter. Overall it was a negative experience.