San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.coirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153939000x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday through Saturday 5:30pm to 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Patterson
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coi is chef-owner Daniel Patterson's intimate, two michelin-starred restaurant where he serves innovative cuisine from locally sourced ingredients.
- Private Party Contact: Angela Cerreta 8889823207
- Special Events: For special events contact the restaurant directly.
A word from Coi
Chef-owner Daniel Patterson presents innovative cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients. Reservations are taken for our two dining rooms, both which feature a multi-course tasting menu, offered at $195 per guest, as well as an optional wine pairing offered at $135 per guest. Requests for a specific dining room can be expressed while making a reservation, and the restaurant will do it's best to accommodate. Due to the intimate size of the restaurant, we can only accommodate reservations of up to 4 guests in our two dining rooms. Reservations for parties of 5 to 8 guests can be made for our private dining room, which features the same multi-course tasting menu. Please note: beginning September 1 Coi will sell tickets instead of accepting reservations, please visit coirestaurant.com for more information.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Coi reviews from OpenTable diners
112 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (81)fit for foodies (75)romantic (59)notable wine list (51)hot spot (9)neighborhood gem (5)good for groups (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DisappointingWorldtravelorplusDined on 8/7/2014Was going to be the highlight of my trip after going to Saison and State Bird Provisions but ended up to be my worst meal in San Francisco. Good food but service and ambience no where near 2 star Michelin or Top 50 in the world. You will be disappointed with this restaurant for the price. Saison is much better value.
- Much ado about littlefoodie4everVIPDined on 8/7/2014After reading the review in the NYT, I was expecting something akin to Benu. Disappointed! Pretentious presentations and descriptions, cloying service (I can go for 3 minutes without being checked on,) nothing special in the execution or compostiion. One course was a lamb chop. That's it -- a lamb chop. It was a decent lamb chop but nothing approaching the $200+ price tage per person (without wine). If I had to describe Coi in one word: ordinary.Special Features:
- Excellent and calmLu2sfo2014Dined on 8/6/2014A very "feng shui" place because of the aestethic of the dining room and the one of the dinner. Simple and perfect products tasting perfectly thanks to subtil natural exhausted. Try the wine combination merging local and European wines. The rose was not the most interesting one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Coy about liking CoiadelaidevoyagerDined on 8/5/2014This is a stand out restaurant with many high spots. Food is well executed, some plates very memorable. Wine excellent and service very friendly. A couple of the dessert dishes seemed to lack direction, but very happy with degustationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal for special occasionSFDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014My girlfriend and I dined at Coi for her birthday. It was phenomenal. Every one of the 13 courses (8 primary courses and 5 smaller ones) was impressive...interesting tastes, interesting treatments, lovely presentation. While most dishes were so unique I cannot compare them to any others, the lamb was hands down the best we have ever had. The salmon was also great...seared then cooked slowly at low temperature such that it melted in our mouths. We did the wine pairing as well...she had 5 plus champagne to start, I did 8 plus champagne...~2 oz pours for $95 and $135. At $195 each (tasting menu), 18% auto gratuity and tax (inc on "gratuity"), the total was almost $800. So, quite expensive, but worth the splurge for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Worth ItTrixDined on 8/2/2014I bought my husband dinner here as a birthday present and we were not disappointed. In fact we regularly reminisce about the evening : ) The food was unusual yet delicious, and the service was fantastic. We had the partial wine tasting which was wonderful - highly recommend doing this or a full pairing!Special Features:
- Prepare to be AmazedSactokarenVIPDined on 8/1/2014This is a prix fix menu with an exorbitant price. Unlike some restaurants that "perform," this place is all about the food. It comes in small bites and regularly. It's not overwhelming - but you never feel like you're waiting for the next course. In addition to the courses we expected several other tidbits, palate cleansers, and treats were served. We were seated at our table on a U-shaped sofa (it accommodated 2 tables seating 2 couples.) Even with pillows, you aren't comfortably close to the table. Serving plates were of a rustic sort and didn't go with the rest of the restaurant decor. Waiters all wear the same ill-fitting charcoal jackets, as if selected from a closet - the first to get there, get the ones that fit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExperienceessenDined on 8/1/2014Food was excellent. The experience wasn't. Service seemed rehearsed. I cant help but feel that the mandatory 18% plays a part. Worse, We felt that the courses were rushed.At the "end" of the meal, the server placed the invoice on the the table without even asking if we wanted coffee! I have never experienced such rudeness, nor have ever been so aware of having my table turned. We were there 2.5 hours and didn't linger on any course. 2 people, 1 wine pairing, $700. Neighborhood is rough, strip club or two on every block. Ate at Atelier Crenn the night before, wine tasting and tasting menu, food comparable or better, but the experience was everything Coi wasn't. (we didn't leave either restaurant hungry).
- OutstandingChrisVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a wonderful meal and evening at Coi. Each course was absolutely delicious, and we loved how much of the meal was based on vegetables. Our primary server was awesome -- she was pleasant, fun and very knowledgeable with particularly interesting thoughts on the wines through the night. The meal was paced perfectly for us, neither feeling like we were rushed from course to course nor feeling like the night dragged on. We left the evening satisfied without feeling over-done, having had some very interesting, memorable and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary DinnerChristmasevedinerDined on 7/30/2014A wonderful experience...the power was out when we arrived...they had cold Champagne while the neighborhood wide problem was resolved , and the recovery was seamless. The service overall was the highlight. The meals were tasty and innovative, but unlike similar high end experience venues was very heavily vegetable focused. The menu items were taken directly from the Chef's book...same meals that made him famous are featured every night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!AnonymousVIPDined on 7/26/2014I don't have words for how good Coi was, I was blown away with the creativity and taste of every single dish. Hands down the best restaurant and dining experience I have ever had in my life! This is a true experience from the beauty of the space, to the service, the wine and the food. Of course, this place is expensive, but if you have a special occasion coming up there is no better place to celebrate!Special Features:
- Good, But Not 2 Michelin Start GoodMakeMineADoubleDined on 7/26/2014Is it unreasonable to expect a 2 Michelin star restaurant, rated the 49th best in the world, to have all of their dishes be exceptional? Having dined at other top 50 restaurants, I would go as far to say yes and a few of the dishes should be so good they will be remembered for years to come. The dishes should certainly not be average and uninspiring. Of the 13 courses served, the consensus from our party was: 2 dishes were outstanding, 4 were solid and the remaining 7 dishes were fair, but worse, they were also boring (no complexity of ingredients or flavors). Unfortunately, Coi will be more memorable than most of my outstanding restaurant experiences for all of the wrong reasons. At least it was with great company.
- Coi reservation changesMain5ManVIPDined on 7/26/2014You go to Coi for innovative fix priced, fix course menus. I would recommend bringing your own bottle of wine (corking fee =$40) rather than pay for the wine paring. People who want to try Coi should realize that it is expensive ($195 per person) with a mandatory 18% gratuity. And those with large appetites might do better to stick with other restaurants. Coi is food for tasting. Coi is a experience to relax for 2-3 hours and savor some of the freshest, creative food on the planet. Coi said that starting Sept 1, 2014 Coi will no longer accept reservations on Open Table. Coi is changing to a new process where you pay first and eat later. You will purchase a ticket for a date and a meal. Not sure how this will work out, but we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BlackoutPGdinersDined on 7/25/2014We were 3/4 of the way through our meal at about 7 pm when the power went out on the block. The staff was amazing!! They all acted very professionally - calm and kept everyone informed. It was unfortunate, but they had to stop serving and they had to turn away reservations for the rest of the evening. It was a fantastic dinner and the wine pairings were excellent. Worth every penny.Special Features:
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014Food, as always, was excellent and the service personable and precise. Wine pairings were perfectly matched to the food. They told us that they will be leaving Open Table and going to the ticket system like Alinea.I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/18/2014Food was excellent, but definitely not worth the price. Nearly 800.00 with the small wine pairing. Waiter was very nice, but everything was very rehearsed and uninterested. Complained to the manager that the family next to us spent 2 hrs. texting on their cell phones and the lady on the other side was on her Kindle. There are many SF restaurants equally as good and half the price. Also, do not like the mandatory 18% gratuity.
- COI - great foodJegehaDined on 7/12/2014The food was fantastic, the wine pairing was good, but it was very disappointing to be "kicked out" after approx. 2 hours and 30 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TEDISVIPDined on 7/11/2014Overall, a great dining experience. Most, but not, courses were outstanding; I was a little disappointed in the preparation of the lamb.Special Features:
- The Dine of a lifetimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014I saved and saved to attend this restaurant, I am not privileged. I love food and I love beautiful presentation. I love flavor and technique, especially that which I cannot replicate at home. The FOH staff are amazing and seamless. The Sommelier is fantastic, accommodating, and if you choose the wine pairing, is the only constant contact you will have throughout service. You will taste techniques that you may have only read about or seen in foodie shows. Please be respectful; no photos of food or cell phone activity on the dining room. Rise to the occasion, dress well and compliment the staff. The Chef deserves the Best Chef award from James Beard and his kitchen staff are above and beyond. Prepare to be delighted.Special Features:
- A Very Nice ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2014I had read that Coi is one of the top rated restaurants in the world so I decided to give it a try while visiting San Francisco. The food and its presentation was excellent, although I found a few of the dishes to be overly salted. The service was impeccable. It was very expensive ($750 for 2 people) so I doubt I will return frequently but it was a nice once in a lifetime experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing flavors!ChefonTheRunVIPDined on 7/8/2014I cannot say enough good things about my meal and experience at Coi! I spent 7 days eating my way through San Francisco, which wasn't nearly enough time, and Coi topped my list! From the moment I walked through the doors, I was treated like I was the most important person in the restaurant. The attention to detail on each course was perfect and the flavors sang. I was not disappointed by any of the courses. I even liked the course with honeydew melon, which I will not normally eat. This restaurant is worth every penny you will spend. The staff was beyond friendly and professional! Hat tip to Chef Daniel Patterson!Special Features:
- PerfectionjtravelerDined on 6/27/2014Dinner at Coi is a wonderful experience. Everything is perfect. The creativity is amazing--each course was explained and the tastes were sensational. The service was perfect in a most attractive setting. Coi is the best.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!AJABVIPDined on 6/26/2014Everyone was just great (especially Christopher and Zion) and of course the food was spectacular!Special Features:
- Zenlike experienceluvgoodfoodDined on 6/24/2014Upon my request the courses were prepared gluten free and without cream/milk. The chef baked GF bread for me which was served warmed with butter. I recommend ordering the wine pairing with your meal which enhances the overall dining experience. I loved receiving a printed copy of the menu and wine selections at the end of dinner.Special Features:
- Great mealJaxbVIPDined on 6/21/2014Dinner was great, my first time with a fixed tasting menu and wasn't sure how I would enjoy it. So nice to sit down and have yummy tasting dish served one right after another. I probably would not of ordered some of the dishes if they had not been selected for me. Didn't feel so full that I couldn't move as with other tasting menus I've had. Only draw back was service. While it was fine for such an extravagant meal I thought it could of been a bit more personal. We had 4-5 different people serving our meal through out the evening. Other wise a lovely meal. I would go defiantly go back for special occasion. I know the menu changes based on the season/ingredients but the smoke egg with caviar was amazing!!Special Features:
- unbelievable serviceAnnluvsfoodDined on 6/21/2014Wow! Unbelievable service. Prix fix meal, but... "Sir, if you don't like tomatoes we can bring you a different dish." "Don't love eggplant? We can make a replacement dish" Everything was top notch at Coi. The staff was attentive for every wish and desire, but you hardly knew they were there. Great explanations for every flavor in every dish of our 13 courses. Extremely knowledgeable waiter! What a delight. First class service. First class food. Exciting and different flavors in every course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just okayEaterVIPDined on 6/21/2014Maybe we are not with it, but I really have to admit that the food here was just okay. The presentation was nice, but the taste was just not there for us. We really were excited to try this since it had recently won accolades. While the presentation and ambience and service were excellent, the taste of the food was mediocre. I think more attention needs to be paid to unique taste rather than presentation.Special Features:
- Perfect for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/19/2014There's nothing better than enjoying an amazing meal without any thinking. Every course was amazing. We couldn't have been happier with our experience. We chose to just do the wine pairing for ease and tasted some amazing wines. We sat in the first dining room and loved it. We only had one other couple near us so the noise was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food standardVacationDined on 6/17/2014High level of standard and creativity that went into food planning and cooking. The whole course of food builds up momentum to end with the main dish that lives up to the expectation of quality. Very satisfying meal and experience.Special Features:
- Is it worth it?HungryDined on 6/17/2014Bang for the buck, my opinion there are many other restaurants that can beat Coi. Although the pigeon was not to my liking, everything else was superb. Well thought of and balanced. It was a 3 hour dinner - i looked at it as a $200/hr dinner as there were two of us( my wife & i ). Was it worth it? Hhmmmm..... The occasion better be extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful thoughful dishesAjb18foodieVIPDined on 6/17/2014The food was amazing. Beautifully thought out! We dined there for our wedding anniversary and were so pleased!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Coi2bigeatersDined on 6/14/2014Our dinner at Coi was just wonderful. The place is beautiful and quiet. Our waiter, a friendly guy from New Orleans, treated us like friends. Out of the 12 courses, there was only one that was just OK. The vegetables were beautiful. The desserts were fantastic. It is expensive, but it was worth it. I loved the placeSpecial Features:
- Extraordinary Food and ServicezorroVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food and service were extraordinary. We had called in advance to let the chef know that my beloved is a vegetarian, and her vegetarian meal was exceptional as was my meal. We also had called in advance to let the restaurant staff know that my beloved needed some special accommodations for her comfort. From the moment we arrived the staff were clearly aware of this and very helpful. Our evening was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieVIPDined on 6/14/2014The food is very good, the portions very small. Very expensive for the amount of food you get.Special Features:
- Amazing San Francisco RestaurantPearlsDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant has to be one of the top restaurants in San Francisco! The atmosphere is unique, warm, comfortable and very intimate. The service is unbelievable! As a dietitian, the food was excellent using the freshest and healthiest ingredients in the most artistic and creative presentation I have experienced - with a broad spectrum of flavors! I most enjoyed that many of the 11 courses were prepared without cream sauces and fried foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinningguruVIPDined on 6/13/2014Portions much too small. One dish, spotted prawns consisted of a single medium sized shrimp cut into 3 pieces with a Tbsp of sauce. Bread was ordinary and served midway through the dinner. Wines were overpriced. Service was uneven. Left hungry after spending $800 for dinner (for 2) with tax and service charge.
- Memorable Meal!kateVIPDined on 6/6/2014A once in a lifetime experience! It was all sublime, the food, knowledgeable waitstaff, decor ....the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because there was a young child in the dining room, making an age appropriate amount of noise...which was totally inappropriate for such a stratospherically expensive restaurant.Special Features:
- Way overpriced for what you getDP2014Dined on 6/4/2014We went to Coi for a special occasion and found it to be way overpriced. There were three of us and the only option was a price fixed dinner at $195/person with an extra 18% service charge added on. Corkage was $40 for the first bottle and $80 for the second. There were a lot of attentive waiters, but the space was small and lacked much ambience.Special Features:
- Simply Amazing!EmmaMCDined on 6/4/2014We went to Coi for my birthday, and it was a real treat. The food is incredible, the staff attentive and kind, the wine interesting and delicious. As an added bonus, Daniel Patterson regularly delivers courses directly to diners. So wonderful to see a chef as dedicated to the success of his restaurant as he is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!bselvaDined on 5/31/2014I went to San Francisco for three nights and Coi was for sure the best moment on my holiday. The food was amazing, an interesting mixture of flavors and textures that keep you curious for the next dish. I also have to give an A+ for the service. Besides the service during the dinner, they also helped me after I left, when I had a problem with my car. It could have turn my night into a disaster, but they took care for me and made me unconcerned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.