455 Harvard Street
Brookline, MA 02446Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cognacbistro.com/
- Phone: 6172325800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Cognac Bistro
Cognac Bistro is North Brookline's up and coming neighborhood destination, offering a menu that showcases classic French cuisine imbued with the heart of New England. A focus on fresh local seafood, extensive raw bar, and sustainable, organic ingredients throughout make Cognac Bistro truly an experience to savor. Accompanied by a robust wine list and full bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cognac Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Really wonderful French fare.KennVIPDined on 9/21/2013Really wonderful French fare. I will definitely miss this spot, as I understand it is relocating to Vermont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FarewellonthemoveDined on 9/15/2013Went to Cognac Bistro for a farewell meal, the place was bustling and the food wonderful - even though they are shutting the doors the quality was maintained. We have really enjoyed this place and are quite sorry to see it moving out of the neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, small spaceDianeDined on 9/12/2013My friends and I go to Cognac for the oysters, and stay for the sangria and other entrees. This past time I think we went through 2 dozen oysters, and split the Rainbow Trout. All of it was delicious, as always! Note on the sangria: the red is the best by far. This restaurant is not good for groups greater than 4, especially when it gets cold out. The restaurant itself is fairly small, and most of the tables are 2-person tables. Also, you're always going to need a reservation. If you don't have a reservation, then you'll either sit outside (weather willing) or sit at the very small bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've been several times.JudyDined on 8/28/2013We've been several times. We didn't like it the first time, shortly after it opened, but went back with friends and had a better experience. Each time since has been better, and this last time was very good. The waitress was especially attentive, and accommodated some unusual requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So sorry you are leaving Brookline.nonameVIPDined on 8/20/2013So sorry you are leaving Brookline. We will miss you--Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/15/2013One of my favorite restaurants! Their brunch is especially great - the lobster hash, eggs benedict, french toast, and smoked salmon are all amazing. The restaurant is cozy, and the people are very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Greater BostonBertDined on 8/12/2013I found the restaurant on NECN's reviews... The food was excellent, with a strong French influence. Prices were reasonable and the selection was wide enough to fit everyone's likes. The free parking was an unexpected plus. I'll definitely return!Special Features:
- overall great experience andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/10/2013overall great experience and would recommend to anyone.Special Features:
- We will miss Cognac Bistro!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2013This has been a wonderful place for dinner since it opened. Have been there dozens of times. We're distraught about its closing in September. Some of the class Parisian bistro dishes are very well prepared!Special Features:
- I am so sad to hear that thisJeffVIPDined on 8/7/2013I am so sad to hear that this has now closed. It was my wife's and mine favorite place to go for the french bistro experience. I am happy that we were able to eat there one last time before it closed its doors.Special Features:
- AwesomeMargaretDined on 7/26/2013Just love coming here. Good is always good never great but way above average for a neighborhood joint. Sad to see them close. FABULOUS drinks from Mike at the bar!Special Features:
- Date Night at Cognacstargirl428Dined on 7/23/2013It was a cute little restaurant - heard about it through a friend that had been for brunch. Very small, but visibly popular. Decor and ambience was alright, but the food really was delicious. I had the Monkfish and Mussels and it was superb. Very flavorful. Also, the cute individual desserts were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MaPaVIPDined on 7/18/2013This restaurant is one to recommend, and we have. Fresh seafood. Excellent pricing for food and wine. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good meal.stevegVIPDined on 7/12/2013Enjoyable meal. Food ( salad, chicken, sea bass ) all very good. Truly have captured feel of Parisian bistroSpecial Features:
- One of our favorite BrooklineOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2013One of our favorite Brookline restaurants. It will be a great loss to the area when they close later this year.Special Features:
- Perfect Neighborhood BistrocassandraVIPDined on 7/3/2013We love this place for its solid seafood, well-priced menu, and consistently good-natured service. It is what a neighborhood bistro should be: good at what it does, comfortable in its skin, and ready to welcome you every night.Special Features:
- Great foodMoshupDined on 6/28/2013The chicken dinner is the best I've ever tasted, and my wife says the same about the trout Great food at a great price. Just that simple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunchDebbieVIPDined on 6/23/2013Nice price fixe Sunday brunch menu with tasty omelettes and homemade breads. Quaint neighborhood restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2013If you are looking for fresh, high-quality oysters and seafood but don't need an overtly "flashy" location, this is the place to go. The drink menu nicely complements the seafood selection and offers non-traditional selections. Even for those who are not seafood lovers, the menu offers fantastic options (the French Onion Soup, Frisee Salad and burger are phenomenal!)Special Features:
- great food, local restaurantACM1Dined on 6/15/2013We decided to try Cognac Bistro because of the good reviews, and as it is right " in the neighborhood". Great choice. This is French comfort food, and the menu has something for everyone. It is interesting in that it appears to be in a converted auto service station, but is lovely, with a cute bar section as well. The server was excellent, the bread fantastic. We only had entrees, but the half roasted chicken was just right... not overly seasoned, moist, tender. My daughter had the duck and also proclaimed it excellent.. Not much was left on either plate. We will return and make sure we have room for more courses the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful French in BrooklineBostonJayhawkDined on 6/13/2013I have never been big on French food...until I had a wonderful experience at Cognac Bistro. They presented traditional French dishes in a fresh and savory manner which has made me reconsider the entire genre. To top it all off we had a Cognac Flight...and it was fantastic. Book a night and go to Cognac.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious. OystersMariyaDined on 6/11/2013The food was delicious. Oysters were decently priced and tasted delicious! The duck was not dry and had the perfect amount of seasoning..(medium to rare). The only thing that bothered me is that when my boyfriend and I came on time, we expected them to seat us given our reservation. Unfortunately, we had to wait by the entrance for a good 10-15 minutes before we were finally seated...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the lamb burger and ofsushiVIPDined on 6/2/2013Love the lamb burger and of course everything else is good too.Special Features:
- We love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2013Weeknight pris fixe menu is a great bargain! Come before 6:30 and it's around $20 a person. They always have $1 blue point oysters too. Yummy food, cozy ambience and great value. We hope to sit outside next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!AllyDined on 5/30/2013This is a Brookline Gem!! I try to take as many people as I can when they come into town! My foodie and wine enthusiast friends from around the country are in love with this place. The duck is cooked so perfectly it is melt in your mouth amazing. Excellent reasonably prices oysters and and awesome bar. They made a smoked rosemary drink for us that permeated the smell through the whole restaurant. Truly a gem. If you are in the neighborhood take a walk or drive over!Special Features:
- Lovely Brunch SpotDrLydiaGrayVIPDined on 5/25/2013We had a lovely brunch at Cognac Bistro for a small family reunion. We were able to make a reservation easily, although other brunch spots near Coolidge Corner do not take them, and have long waits. We had delicious brunch entrees, including omelets with oysters, smoked salmon and eggs, Croque Madame, and light, delicious French toast. We had wonderful and attentive service in a relaxed atmosphere. We'll definitely be back! The onsite parking was a plus for our older relatives.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/24/2013The food was very good--liked the Frisee salad and cheese rolls and Fig and Burrata Croustade...my friend liked the oysters and paella. If you are in the area, don't hesitate to drop by for a bite. I did have a fairly awful specialty cocktail called Printemps--sounded intriguing, but had to return it. Next time, I'd get wine.Special Features:
- I love this restaurant-- casualnonameVIPDined on 5/21/2013I love this restaurant-- casual atmosphere but very good food and wine-- and their oysters are fabulous with $1 Bluepoints always available. Good service, friendly and efficient and attentive. Tiny bar, but pleasant people and the same great food and wine.Special Features:
- great oysters. reasonableluv2dineDined on 5/18/2013great oysters. reasonable selection to choose from croque madame delicious, not too heavySpecial Features:
- Fresh and DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/15/2013Cognac is one of those places that you can taste the freshness with every bite. In addition, the waitstaff is excellent, knowledgeable, and answers your questions honestly and intelligently. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Simple and delicious, likeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2013Simple and delicious, like a true French bistro. Everything tastes really fresh and portions are the right size (not those overwhelming and overloaded plates). Service is pleasant and efficient, and ambience is casual and inviting. A true neighborhood gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smokin'StuartDined on 5/11/2013This is a great place overall. Every course we had (4 people) was excellent. The Warm Frise´ salad was to die for, and the hanger steak was excellent. If you haven't been give this place a roll, it's smokin'.Special Features:
- Not worth the wait... Sorry.melijerVIPDined on 5/10/2013We waited for one hour and a half for our entree... It took 45 minutes to get the appetizers (which were oysters... the ones that they have already in display...). I also read the reviews before my reservation and was more patient than usual because I knew they were slow but after an hour and 15 min waiting for food I had to tell the waitress we were leaving so she said the food was already on its way and a couple minutes after we had our food in the table. since it is french food, it disappeared in 2 minutes. The waitress was really nice but it is just not worth the wait. I hope they read this and the many other reviews of customers complaining about the exaggerated time it takes to be served.
- Not up to my expectationsJay2theSeaDined on 5/10/2013I have to admit that I was a little disappointed. I went to this restaurant solely based on people's reviews and, although I would recommend this place, I'd let people know that they are better French restaurants around Boston. Food was quite good, but not great. White sausage (boudin blanc) was phenomenal (excellent balance of flavors) but the duck that I ordered was a bit off-flavored. Don't get me wrong here: meat itself was outstanding, cooked to perfection. However, the layer of creamy mayo (with herbs) and the red sauce next to it were both overpowering and way too sweet. Too bad for such a quality of duck. Green beans or spinach would have been greatly appreciated. Service was too slow, but our waitress was professional and nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pace of service and qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/10/2013Pace of service and quality of food were excellent. Highly recommend. A lovely place to meet friends for dinner. Will be back this summer to enjoy the patio dining!Special Features:
- A little quirky, a lot tastygarridogalDined on 5/10/2013Cognac Bistro is located in a former gas station and that's apparent. So, while it's not very traditional looking, if you like quirky and different its esthetics will appeal to you. Their outdoor seating did not appeal to a friend who I dined with, due to the fact that's nestled between their parking lot and busy Harvard Avenue, but it would not have bothered me. That being said this was my second time eating there; the first time was for brunch and both times I have greatly enjoyed their food. For this dinner, we split the fried calamari which were wonderfully prepared with peppers and olives. And then we both had the monkfish with mussels. It was wonderfully prepared with a wonderful broth, perfect for soaking up with bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My food was absolutely fantastic.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/7/2013My food was absolutely fantastic. I started with the field green salad and had the trout for my main course. It came out piping hot but still moist. The green beans served with it tasted fresh. Finished with a berry crisp "mini dessert." Again, it came out hot, tasted fresh and light with a notable absence of that corn syrup flavor so often present desserts like this. The dessert was perfect as it satisfied my sweet tooth without the indulgent serving size. It only cost $3! Service was good but not as good as the food. Two servers were trying to attend to the entire restaurant. They were very pleasant and helpful, but it took a few minutes to get a menu and place a drink order. Courses came out in a good cadence, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood (and largerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/30/2013Great neighborhood (and larger community) place. Too bad, they are leaving to head North.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedSmokeyDined on 4/30/2013First time here since they closed Kozina in Waban and I found the same good food and owners doing a great job . I like it because the menu is simple and I always have a number of choices. The prices are reasonable and wait staff pleasant. I did not sit outside but this is a great new option and we will be going back to try it out. I also like that there is more space at this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood resource.notgr8Dined on 4/28/2013Great neighborhood resource. Even better now the sun is coming out: we can sit outside!Special Features: