1874 Notre Dame O
Montreal, QC H3J 1M6Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.codeambiance.com/
- Phone: (514) 939-2609
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Bastien Gerard
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Code Ambiance
Under the guidance of the experienced Chef Bastien Gérard, Code Ambiance offers contemporary French cuisine, with signature dishes including “Au Torchon duck foie gras,” fillet of lamb with Antep spices, and milk fed calf liver. An extensive wine list comprises numerous private imports, all served in a setting that is, at once, fashionable, relaxing, and welcoming. Jazz and lounge music complement the dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Code Ambiance reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (5)fit for foodies (4)notable wine list (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)romantic (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Neighbourhood treasureLittleBurgundyLouDined on 6/20/2014We stumbled upon this understated "boite" partway between the two ends of the "hip strip" that Notre Dame West has become and have become regulars, thanks to the elegance of the French-inflected cuisine and the fresh local ingredients. On our last visit, the catch of the day was eperlan -- smelts -- from the St. Lawrence River, beautifully prepared. The scallops from the Iles de la Madeleine and the duck are also reliably delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet wonderful restaurantTankDined on 5/7/2014All dishes were excellent beautifully presented and sized for a multi course meal. When it was time to order dessert everyone selected a dish. the atmosphere was relaxed and quiet and the service was excellent. Not everyone in our group was comfortable in French and we spoke English between ourselves. The waiters switchEd back and forth between languages and we were all given English menus. The message was we are here to make every effort to ensure our customers are comfortable and at ease. Great food great service in a restaurant where you do not have to shout at your companion to be heard. We had a relaxing wonderfully evening and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bistro+ejmtlxVIPDined on 4/26/2014CA is a small, quiet, stylish space with an excellent kitchen and Maitresse D' who is on top of everything. Bistro fare with a bit more "haut cuisine" than most. Portion sizes are perfect. Easy street parking nearby. A great place to go with foodie friends with whom you want to have a conversation, because the noise level is appropriate for dining, and is not a night-club scene. I have also had lunch and they do a good table d'hote if you are looking for a full meal/business lunch.Special Features:
- Great placeFmc69Dined on 4/9/2014Friendly owner, good food, nice ambiance, quiet, nice wine list. Silver forks, Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Belle expérience pour le lunchbenoitl33VIPDined on 4/9/2014Excellent, agréable, bon service. Pour le lunch, super. Faudrait essayer en soirée.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Un restaurant qui vaut le détourCyrilDined on 1/31/2014C'est toujours un plaisir d'aller au Code Ambiance. Le menu du soir est exquis, les choix sortent de l'ordinaire des restaurants montréalais, le tout en demeurant très abordable. Bastien et Nathalie savent vous faire passer un moment agréable. Un endroit dont on ne se lasse pas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice little spotMaggystuffDined on 10/17/2013What we really liked was the most items can we ordered at an appetizer or a main course. We ordered 3 appetizers which enabled us to try more Loved each dish! Tatar salmon, scallops were wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is poor: we had tobecassineVIPDined on 9/24/2013Service is poor: we had to wait for our bill until the owner and the waiters finished their lunch!!! They finally came after we went back to them a few times asking for the bill. Sorry, that's a no no...
- Saturday dinnerLLMTLDined on 9/21/2013A wonderful experience. Food, ambiance and knowledgeable, friendly staff made the evening special. We will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!MadisonDined on 8/15/2013Excellent contemporary French food and very attentive, personal service from the owner. We were very well taken care of and he made the evening feel very special. Modern interior design with a lovely bar area where we enjoyed excellent cocktails before dinner. All In all a great evening. Will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat Yourselfbburnett13VIPDined on 7/6/2013Unfortunately, OpenTable does not provide sufficient characters to do this place justice. Feel free to visit TripAdvisore for a detailed description of an amazing meal and ambiance.Special Features:
- Excellent service and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/26/2013Excellent service and great food. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- "I love the relaxed feel ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/19/2013"I love the relaxed feel of this place. The onion potage was amazing. Excellent meal and Service was well-timed and friendly.I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:
- Un des meilleurs resto duLouismVIPDined on 2/19/2013Un des meilleurs resto du coin ! Best option in Griffintown!Special Features:
- Great food, outstanding serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2013Great food, outstanding service and a nice quiet ambiance.Special Features:
- owner / maitre D very pushy,callawayDined on 12/21/2012owner / maitre D very pushy, better restaurants steps away from this one.
- This owner operated neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012This owner operated neighborhood gem is worthy of a visit and re-visit; I will absolutely do so when next in Montreal. The staff and management are very attentive; this personal attention makes for a delightful experience. The menu was varied in its selections and dishes were plated to please the eye. I do recommend Code Ambiance when in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Wanted to like the place...NetwarkDined on 11/10/2012Went for a tasting menu. The first course was very bland. Actually, I would have had to say it was wet bread with some lobster on it. The wine that accompanied it was amazing. The main course was Sanglier, which was great, (a little on the luke warm side). Since it was a tasting menu, I can understand that it may simply be the case when the same meal being mass produced. My guest had the volaille which was also bland. The wine served was amazing (1 glass). The next course was Foie Gras. This was my first time tasting, and it was interesting, but my guest thought it bland. Leaving most of the Foie Gras unfinished, the waiter made a snide remark which I didn't appreciate. Dessert was great along with last wine (half glass).
- Stressful manager/ownerNikkiDined on 11/9/2012We went to Code Ambiance during the Taste Montreal event and we had the 39$ menu which was quite good. Lots of points for being generous and including fois gras. The food was good the service was good too...but the owner or manager of the place needs to seriously relax :) She was fretting about and making everyone a little nervous for no apparent reason. I won't go back there and she is the reason why! When it came time to pay she became a stress case because we wanted to pay with a visa/interac card and she wouldn't accept it for the world. We finally had to pay with crdit card which was not the issue anyway, it was her attitude towards us as paying customers! Disappointing
- Bad service and bad foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/8/2012This was by far my worst experience during "MTL à Table" (and I went to 9 restaurants in total). Our server was definitely curt when she noticed we weren't going to order any wine (by the way, they only offer bottles or pairings - no wine by the glass), and looked annoyed when we chose tap over bottled water. I was expecting an amazing meal to make up for the rude service but... no. The starter (some kind of crab/lobster terrine) was borderline inedible. The main course was correctly executed but had no salt whatsoever (and there was no salt shaker on the table, so we had to ask our rude server for it). My dessert (ice cream torrone) tasted like freezer burn. In a nutshell, this place simply lacks any redeeming qualities. Not going back.
- Overall a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2012Overall a great experience from start to finish! Lovely decor, very good wine and food largely great (small portions but tasty) but wild boar was really chewy and rare - luckily I swapped with my partner. Foie gras was divine as was the cucumber ice cream!Special Features:
- Food was so so although withOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2012Food was so so although with the fancy ingredients. We were warned that the plates were hot when food was served but the food itself was lukewarm. We had to keep the same knife and folk throughout the meal (?) although we had fish for starter, meat for main course and foie gras. The dessert was very good and we didn't leave hungry, but it was hardly a pleasure to eat at that place.
- Good food poor locationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/31/2012It was halloween night. We reserved (party of 2) We were the only guests Ordered a Sancerre, expecing to get a white wine - most common Sancerre wine. Waiter brought a red - should have verified requirement (whit or red) before bringing the bottle. Ambieance was poor as the restaurant was empty. No person answered phone when I wanted the reservation but merssage reffered me to the internet. Name was changed it Code Ambiance but internet address reflects old name. Restaurant location just off the beaten track - expect difficaulty surviving even though the food was excellant.