1521 Hyde St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocottesf.com/
- Phone: 4152924415x
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to sunday 5:30pm - 10.00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, French
- Executive Chef: Mikael Audry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cocotte is also specialized in catering business. Call us to organize your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are planning a Rehearsal dinner, a Wedding reception, a birthday party as well as a Corporate Event or a friendly get together for the coming Holidays, Cocotte is happy to welcome you in its warm and cozy main room where we can accommodate up to 50 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: aurore martinez 8776857490
- Entertainment: Live music for French and American Holidays.
- Special Events: Cocotte, charming and cozy restaurant, is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. Please visit the "Private Dining" page for more details.
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (61)romantic (47)special occasion (27)notable wine list (24)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)good for groups (5)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Everything great but way too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/15/2014Food, service, and ambience are perfect. My only complaint is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRP2BRP2Dined on 10/11/2014Our first two visits to Cocotte were worth five stars. This third time suffered from two faults. The mussels contained sand. The wait for service before the restaurant filled up was annoying. The absence of the owner may have contributed to this latter problem. Otherwise, the food was its usual five star quality and the ambience that of a true French bistro. The duck confit is the best I have had outside of France, and the roast chicken rivals Zuni's for the best in San Francisco. The cocottes are consistently interesting and excellent. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for the quality of the food. I highly recommend Cocotte, especially for Francophiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost ReservationNotGoodExperienceDined on 10/10/2014When we arrived to the restaurant Cocotte could not find my OpenTable reservation. They they found the reservation by typing in my last name and it magically appeared. I then asked how this happened and he said "This happens all the time". I then watch the host seat a walk-in right after we arrived. The solution to mitigate the problem was seating us at the bar for 45 minutes just as if we walked in. We were lucky enough to be offered the option to eat our meal at the bar *sarcasm. Not sure what the purpose in making reservations is. I was excited to try this restaurant but reception experience was terrible. Only after I said we were leaving the hostess apologized.
- Total gem -- a new favoriteEJoyDined on 10/7/2014Went with a group of 4 for Mom's last night in town as a special dinner to wrap up the visit. Everything on the menu, even the more bizarre things (squid!) were truly outstanding. We made an effort to try everything. The wine was incredible, the server gave great recommendations... though I think there was no way to go wrong with anything we would have ordered. The cozy space and genuine French staff made it a really special experience. The banana creme brulee was the outstanding dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great deal on french foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Had the duck platter appetizer, rabbit and mustard fettucine, squid, brussel sprouts, 2 desserts, and a bottle of wine for $120. Food portions were decent size and very tasty.Special Features:
- Delicious!lswarDined on 10/4/2014The food was perfect and the staff accommodating. As it is a small place it is loud so beware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I had room for moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014Walked by this restaurant several times and venue is small cute romantic. Not the most easy to get a reservation on a weekend night but such is the sf dining scene. Lobster salad with beets-very fresh and a good light option before the richness arrives. Chicken liver parfait-standard but good, just a little goes a long way. Rabbit and mustard pasta-flavorful, moist, but a bit salty. Beef Wellington with bone marrow-perfection, beef was sooo render, pastry rich and savory, bone marrow is the icing on the cake. Will return most definitely and highly recommend to others!!Special Features:
- Great food - short pour...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/27/2014I love Cocotte. Amazing menu. Spectacular wine list. Great great food. A lot of the staff has changed though - and that concerns me - but I'll keep an open mind. The new bartender - Yuri (sp?) - pours the shortest glass of champagne I've ever seen. That's just bad form. Fill the flute to the top please - especially when you are getting the $15 a glass stuff. He wasn't as attentive as other bartenders either - we kept having to flag him over. (And by the way - the bar is NOT that big!) But in his defense - I do think he was waiting tables too. That the restaurant might regroup on that. The bartender should tend bar - the waiters tend to the food/table patrons. But hey! - that's just my opinion. Wonderful food though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good but short of greatLocalVIPDined on 9/26/2014The mains we had -- rotisserie chicken and beef wellington -- were very good (the porcini sauce served with the chicken was excellent!) and the cocottes were delicious (esp the cauliflower!). We did not have appetizers because nothing grabbed us, but we ordered an extra cocotte as an appetizer (good choice). Desserts were on the dull side: the molten chocolate cake was pretty flavorless (not very chocolatey at all) and the tarte tatine was mushy but had been overfinished with the blow torch, its topping was too crunchy and sticky, an unpleasant contrast with the soft cake. If you are going to eat dessert calories, they should be excellent and these were not. So concentrate on the mains and cocottes. Wines Wines were fine.Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedFancyFoodieDined on 9/23/2014Very friendly staff. Duck was too salty and slightly over cooked. White wine was not chilled enough. Overall a disappointment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great duck platter appetizer. One out of our four entrees was salty (rabbit ). Otherwise good. A bit pricey. Waiter was suggesting (too many) appetizers and expensive wine.
- Evening out in the CityChrisDined on 9/20/2014We went to SF for an afternoon and evening out. We want a nice dinner place without being too formal, sort of like an upscale casual Friday equivalent. We found it at Cocotte. The food was great. I love duck and had the duck platter, very nice. I did not have their famous chicken, but did have the pork chop, which was also excellent. Cooked through but still juicy. My honey had the lobster salad and rabbit, both were excellent. Service was friendly. As the place got busier, the service attention slowed down, but was still fine. But the noise level did go up. We arrived early. It was quiet. By the time we left at 8 PM the place was crowded and noise level was energetic. We had a very time time and a great dinner.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemHovattJ83Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food, have to go with their famous chicken. Really loved the chicken liver parfait and banana creme brûlée as well. Only complaints were the noise level and how close the tables are to each other. We literally were part of two other couples' dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but?luncherVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our food and service were excellent but.......we were a party of 6. We ordered wines by the glass at the bar as our table wasn't ready. We brought 3 bottles of wine and were happy to pay the $20. corkage. But, they only allowed one corkage per table. Table for 2 and table for 6 same corkage allowance? Consequently we didn't order more bottles of wine. They lost $40.00 on our table for 6.Special Features:
- Noise place, food okGustavoDined on 9/6/2014The night started there with the host trying to sit us in a table they have under a stair or something like that: terrible idea and we refuse. How could they believe that is adequate? It is almost impossible to serve that table and don't bother the adjacent table...... And it is an uncomfortable sit: dark, tied, claustrophobic maybe. The owner should rethink his ideas about that table. The food was ok: the half chicken is huge (I suggest you to share that plate and the waiter should had suggested it), the 3 sauce taste nothing, but the potato side was delicious!! I ordered the duck leg and it was good. Finally, that is a small place and it is very, very noise!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service, nice people. Great value in a small comfortable setting. We will return.Special Features:
- LOUDklsjDined on 8/30/2014It was loud, couldn't have a conversation. But the food was delicious. The reason I gave only 3 stars is because of the noise and service was slow at times. It took over ten minutes to get the check after dessert plates were removed and the entire table was cleared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood spotChristDined on 8/29/2014Delicious food and attentive service. A great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EattravelVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great little neighborhood spot. Food was good, not great. Charming ambiance and good service.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We had a delicious dinner and a fabulous time at Cocotte. We were the first table to arrive and the food, wine, and service were all excellent. We ordered several plates to share and even shared an entree. The server was very helpful in selecting the perfect wine for us. We even had desert which is unusual for us but delicious as well. We all 4 would highly recommend Cocette.Special Features:
- French on HydeTwofootsDined on 8/20/2014Cozy and cool French bistro on a great SF block. Very good coq au vin. Slightly weird tarte tatin. WTF no capuccino????Special Features:
- It was a good experiencewelove2eatwellDined on 8/16/2014The noise was a shock to we elderly, but the friendliness of the host and the wait staff were terrific. The food was innovative. Try to reserve the "alcove" table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic BistroJessVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very authentic and delicious French bistro food with a great ambiance and charming service. Go for a little trip to France.Special Features:
- Really great! Rich and satisfyingKimmy28VIPDined on 8/14/2014Try the mussels! The service is awesome and so is the food and wine! It's a tiny place though, so expect to hear everyone's conversation as you dine. I highly recommend sitting at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations are no good heretermzeroDined on 8/13/2014Got an Opentable reservation for 7pm for party of three. Although they had my name on the system, our table was not reserved and had to wait 45 to 50 mins.
- frendly servicesushiloverDined on 8/12/2014Everything was good as expected. The only problem was the parking. I had to park my car 8 blocks away from the restaurant. However, this is a perfect neighborhood place for special occasions. Noise level was quiet because the restaurant was not completely full when we got there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful roasted chicken and delicious sides. Our favorite sf restaurant. We will be back. Great place. 5 star plus.........take a taxi ,difficult parking or park on lot on Polk st and walk
- Solid food good wineDinealotVIPDined on 8/12/2014The appetizers were nicely portioned -- not too little not too much. The salad was really French-inspired -- none of that tired balsalmic drizzle. Dinner for 3 with a bottle of wine and tip runs $250 or thereabouts, so it's not cheap. It's definitely a small place, but a grown-up place for grown-ups. Great rabbit dish and a very good Beef Wellington. The overall experience was very good. I would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and contemporarySueFoodyDined on 8/9/2014Warm casual atmosphere, earthy but contemporary decor, excellent service. Wine list is small but excellent selection that changes with seasons. Great information about wines and pairings from someone who knows and cares! Food was excellent French bistro, contemporary. The small dishes or cocottes are delicious as sides, to share like tapas, or to hoard -- the ratatouille and the potatoes were both excellent! Charcuterie duck dish was smokey, lean and tasty with nice contrasts. Food to warm the heart whether you are a comfort food lover or a French food snob!Special Features:
- Wonderful!ClergyfleaDined on 8/8/2014Had friends visiting from Virginia and wanted to take them somewhere special. Cocotte didn't disappoint. Learned about it from Check Please. Will return just for the squid. Truly lovely setting, service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseLAguyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Found this gem of a spot by doing a little research. Had never heard of it before and was excited to try. I didn't have high expectations as the menu looked very simple. To say that I was beyond impressed, would be an understatement. This place was excellent from start to finish. The staff was super friendly and attentive. The food was hit after hit after hit. I highly recommend and will be dining there again soon.Special Features:
- Cocotte is perfectGeorgeDined on 8/2/2014Our visit to Cocotte was perfect. The food was absolutely extraordinary. Lobster salad, liver parfait, and mushroom soup appetizers were exceptional. And the entrees -- from the Rotisserie Chicken to the Coq au vin to the butcher cut of the day (an absolutely delectable flank stake) were incredible . . . and tried all the cocottes themselves (potato gratin, cauliflower gratin, broccoli gratin -- all sumptuously worthy of the restaurant's name!) Service was warm and friendly, starting with Vincent's greeting. The small size of the restaurant actually adds to the warm and friendly ambiance. One of our friends, who lives in Paris, said she wished this restaurant was there! Merci, Cocotte, pour une expérience culinaire sensationnel!Special Features:
- Bday DinnerWDing88Dined on 8/1/2014I went there because my friend Sonia Hunt review this place at Bay Area Check Please ...(give me an idea where i want to go for my Bday dinner) We (hubby & i) ordered -> Mussels Mariniere ( i wish there's some spinach in it), Rabbit And Mustard ( he's fav), Branzini Sea Bass (my fav) & Banana Creme Brulee ( Our fav) =)) The only set back--> not easy to find parking...as we drove from Novato to Hyde St, just to have this meal .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristDined on 8/1/2014I have been to Cocotte several times and have always had a flawless evening. I recommend it to friends and they always get back to me and tell me of the wonderful and delicious meals they had experience. I will continue to go and recommend Cocotte. However, duirng my recent visit (Reservation for 4) I didnt have a stellar experience. Everyone raved about thier dishes and how fabulous everthing was. Unfortunately for me (after having duck confit several times times before), my duck was dried out and not as flavorful as I have had it in the past. I was a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- Paris in San FranciscoBRP2Dined on 7/27/2014A corner of Paris in the heart of San Francisco. Small with the atmosphere of France. Friendly, competent servers who don't try to be one's new best friend. I am addicted to the duck confit, the best I have ever had in many experiences in the U.S.,but I am assured by friends that the other dishes are equally excellent. The sight of roasting chickens on the spit is enough to make anyone's mouth water.Special Features:
- Excellent local spot!shelman88VIPDined on 7/24/2014This place was a last minute pick up after our schedule got pushed back and we had to cancel dinner at a different spot. It was well worth the later reservation - the food was excellent, atmosphere was very energetic, and the service was great. I was very pleased with my Sea Bass and the wine list was great!Special Features:
- loved it!skippygDined on 7/24/2014it was a beautiful warm san francisco evening so sitting near the front, which is completely open to the street, added to the comfortable feeling. everything was delicious... but the hors d' oeuvre's were killer. i'd come back and sit at the bar just to have the cantal cheese churros (amazing) and the butter lettuce salad. toss in a banana creme brûlée and call it a night!Special Features:
- Authentic french cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Wonderful little neighborhood eatery---very charming!---true french cuisine--with all the classics and some creative dishes with a twist as well. Chicken and sauces--superb! the cocottes are excellent! Everything from the bread to the desserts were wonderful and service very friendly personable and knowledgable. Many dishes to share. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2014Loves the food. Ambiance and service was good too. The only problem we have is finding a parking spot. We had to park all the way to Polk street.. 4 blocks away from cocotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shockingly bad servicemcxmcVIPDined on 7/19/2014We liked the food and overall ambiance here, but the service is just as bad, if not worse, than many of the poor reviews say it is. After we were seated, it took 20 minutes for our waiter to even stop by our table, and the rest of the evening it was nearly impossible to get his attention to ask for more water, another glass of wine, or the check. The only time he took any interest in us was when he asked us to move to another table to accommodate a larger party. At that point he promised a free glass of champagne that never materialized. The only redeeming part of the evening was that the food was good and reasonably priced, but that's easy to find in SF, so I doubt we'll be going back.