1521 Hyde St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocottesf.com/
- Phone: 4152924415x
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to sunday 5:30pm - 10.00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, French
- Executive Chef: Mikael Audry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cocotte is also specialized in catering business. Call us to organize your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are planning a Rehearsal dinner, a Wedding reception, a birthday party as well as a Corporate Event or a friendly get together for the coming Holidays, Cocotte is happy to welcome you in its warm and cozy main room where we can accommodate up to 50 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: aurore martinez 8776857490
- Entertainment: Live music for French and American Holidays.
- Special Events: Cocotte, charming and cozy restaurant, is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. Please visit the "Private Dining" page for more details.
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (96)fit for foodies (75)romantic (58)special occasion (37)notable wine list (29)hot spot (13)late-night find (10)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Neighborhood gemHovattJ83Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food, have to go with their famous chicken. Really loved the chicken liver parfait and banana creme brûlée as well. Only complaints were the noise level and how close the tables are to each other. We literally were part of two other couples' dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but?luncherVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our food and service were excellent but.......we were a party of 6. We ordered wines by the glass at the bar as our table wasn't ready. We brought 3 bottles of wine and were happy to pay the $20. corkage. But, they only allowed one corkage per table. Table for 2 and table for 6 same corkage allowance? Consequently we didn't order more bottles of wine. They lost $40.00 on our table for 6.Special Features:
- Noise place, food okGustavoDined on 9/6/2014The night started there with the host trying to sit us in a table they have under a stair or something like that: terrible idea and we refuse. How could they believe that is adequate? It is almost impossible to serve that table and don't bother the adjacent table...... And it is an uncomfortable sit: dark, tied, claustrophobic maybe. The owner should rethink his ideas about that table. The food was ok: the half chicken is huge (I suggest you to share that plate and the waiter should had suggested it), the 3 sauce taste nothing, but the potato side was delicious!! I ordered the duck leg and it was good. Finally, that is a small place and it is very, very noise!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service, nice people. Great value in a small comfortable setting. We will return.Special Features:
- LOUDklsjDined on 8/30/2014It was loud, couldn't have a conversation. But the food was delicious. The reason I gave only 3 stars is because of the noise and service was slow at times. It took over ten minutes to get the check after dessert plates were removed and the entire table was cleared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood spotChristDined on 8/29/2014Delicious food and attentive service. A great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EattravelVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great little neighborhood spot. Food was good, not great. Charming ambiance and good service.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We had a delicious dinner and a fabulous time at Cocotte. We were the first table to arrive and the food, wine, and service were all excellent. We ordered several plates to share and even shared an entree. The server was very helpful in selecting the perfect wine for us. We even had desert which is unusual for us but delicious as well. We all 4 would highly recommend Cocette.Special Features:
- French on HydeTwofootsDined on 8/20/2014Cozy and cool French bistro on a great SF block. Very good coq au vin. Slightly weird tarte tatin. WTF no capuccino????Special Features:
- It was a good experiencewelove2eatwellDined on 8/16/2014The noise was a shock to we elderly, but the friendliness of the host and the wait staff were terrific. The food was innovative. Try to reserve the "alcove" table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic BistroJessVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very authentic and delicious French bistro food with a great ambiance and charming service. Go for a little trip to France.Special Features:
- Really great! Rich and satisfyingKimmy28VIPDined on 8/14/2014Try the mussels! The service is awesome and so is the food and wine! It's a tiny place though, so expect to hear everyone's conversation as you dine. I highly recommend sitting at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations are no good heretermzeroDined on 8/13/2014Got an Opentable reservation for 7pm for party of three. Although they had my name on the system, our table was not reserved and had to wait 45 to 50 mins.
- frendly servicesushiloverDined on 8/12/2014Everything was good as expected. The only problem was the parking. I had to park my car 8 blocks away from the restaurant. However, this is a perfect neighborhood place for special occasions. Noise level was quiet because the restaurant was not completely full when we got there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful roasted chicken and delicious sides. Our favorite sf restaurant. We will be back. Great place. 5 star plus.........take a taxi ,difficult parking or park on lot on Polk st and walk
- Solid food good wineDinealotVIPDined on 8/12/2014The appetizers were nicely portioned -- not too little not too much. The salad was really French-inspired -- none of that tired balsalmic drizzle. Dinner for 3 with a bottle of wine and tip runs $250 or thereabouts, so it's not cheap. It's definitely a small place, but a grown-up place for grown-ups. Great rabbit dish and a very good Beef Wellington. The overall experience was very good. I would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- warm and contemporarySueFoodyDined on 8/9/2014Warm casual atmosphere, earthy but contemporary decor, excellent service. Wine list is small but excellent selection that changes with seasons. Great information about wines and pairings from someone who knows and cares! Food was excellent French bistro, contemporary. The small dishes or cocottes are delicious as sides, to share like tapas, or to hoard -- the ratatouille and the potatoes were both excellent! Charcuterie duck dish was smokey, lean and tasty with nice contrasts. Food to warm the heart whether you are a comfort food lover or a French food snob!Special Features:
- Wonderful!ClergyfleaDined on 8/8/2014Had friends visiting from Virginia and wanted to take them somewhere special. Cocotte didn't disappoint. Learned about it from Check Please. Will return just for the squid. Truly lovely setting, service and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseLAguyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Found this gem of a spot by doing a little research. Had never heard of it before and was excited to try. I didn't have high expectations as the menu looked very simple. To say that I was beyond impressed, would be an understatement. This place was excellent from start to finish. The staff was super friendly and attentive. The food was hit after hit after hit. I highly recommend and will be dining there again soon.Special Features:
- Cocotte is perfectGeorgeDined on 8/2/2014Our visit to Cocotte was perfect. The food was absolutely extraordinary. Lobster salad, liver parfait, and mushroom soup appetizers were exceptional. And the entrees -- from the Rotisserie Chicken to the Coq au vin to the butcher cut of the day (an absolutely delectable flank stake) were incredible . . . and tried all the cocottes themselves (potato gratin, cauliflower gratin, broccoli gratin -- all sumptuously worthy of the restaurant's name!) Service was warm and friendly, starting with Vincent's greeting. The small size of the restaurant actually adds to the warm and friendly ambiance. One of our friends, who lives in Paris, said she wished this restaurant was there! Merci, Cocotte, pour une expérience culinaire sensationnel!Special Features:
- Bday DinnerWDing88Dined on 8/1/2014I went there because my friend Sonia Hunt review this place at Bay Area Check Please ...(give me an idea where i want to go for my Bday dinner) We (hubby & i) ordered -> Mussels Mariniere ( i wish there's some spinach in it), Rabbit And Mustard ( he's fav), Branzini Sea Bass (my fav) & Banana Creme Brulee ( Our fav) =)) The only set back--> not easy to find parking...as we drove from Novato to Hyde St, just to have this meal .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristDined on 8/1/2014I have been to Cocotte several times and have always had a flawless evening. I recommend it to friends and they always get back to me and tell me of the wonderful and delicious meals they had experience. I will continue to go and recommend Cocotte. However, duirng my recent visit (Reservation for 4) I didnt have a stellar experience. Everyone raved about thier dishes and how fabulous everthing was. Unfortunately for me (after having duck confit several times times before), my duck was dried out and not as flavorful as I have had it in the past. I was a bit disappointed.Special Features:
- Paris in San FranciscoBRP2Dined on 7/27/2014A corner of Paris in the heart of San Francisco. Small with the atmosphere of France. Friendly, competent servers who don't try to be one's new best friend. I am addicted to the duck confit, the best I have ever had in many experiences in the U.S.,but I am assured by friends that the other dishes are equally excellent. The sight of roasting chickens on the spit is enough to make anyone's mouth water.Special Features:
- Excellent local spot!shelman88VIPDined on 7/24/2014This place was a last minute pick up after our schedule got pushed back and we had to cancel dinner at a different spot. It was well worth the later reservation - the food was excellent, atmosphere was very energetic, and the service was great. I was very pleased with my Sea Bass and the wine list was great!Special Features:
- loved it!skippygDined on 7/24/2014it was a beautiful warm san francisco evening so sitting near the front, which is completely open to the street, added to the comfortable feeling. everything was delicious... but the hors d' oeuvre's were killer. i'd come back and sit at the bar just to have the cantal cheese churros (amazing) and the butter lettuce salad. toss in a banana creme brûlée and call it a night!Special Features:
- Authentic french cuisine!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Wonderful little neighborhood eatery---very charming!---true french cuisine--with all the classics and some creative dishes with a twist as well. Chicken and sauces--superb! the cocottes are excellent! Everything from the bread to the desserts were wonderful and service very friendly personable and knowledgable. Many dishes to share. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/20/2014Loves the food. Ambiance and service was good too. The only problem we have is finding a parking spot. We had to park all the way to Polk street.. 4 blocks away from cocotte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shockingly bad servicemcxmcVIPDined on 7/19/2014We liked the food and overall ambiance here, but the service is just as bad, if not worse, than many of the poor reviews say it is. After we were seated, it took 20 minutes for our waiter to even stop by our table, and the rest of the evening it was nearly impossible to get his attention to ask for more water, another glass of wine, or the check. The only time he took any interest in us was when he asked us to move to another table to accommodate a larger party. At that point he promised a free glass of champagne that never materialized. The only redeeming part of the evening was that the food was good and reasonably priced, but that's easy to find in SF, so I doubt we'll be going back.
- Great food and service, very loudVdoubleuDined on 7/19/2014Very cute, cozy French restaurant. The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was very nice. The kitchen is open, and although that added a nice touch to the ambiance because the restaurant is so small it made everything very loud. We often had to shout and repeat ourselves to be heard over the noisy kitchen and so many people packed into a small restaurant. I started with the tomato heirloom salad, which was really good. The coq au vin was fantastic... Very flavorful and well cooked. Beef Wellington was one of the best I've had, although a tad dry. The banana creme brûlée is a MUST HAVE. The flavors and textures were spot on. The perfect way to end a great meal. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bizarre experience.... beware!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014We selected this place to celebrate the engagement day of my great nephew. The following was our evening: 1- although informed when booking, the restaurant did not even say congratulations (much less offer anything), 2- food came we had not ordered, 3- dishes were tepid and had to be rewarmed, 4- one of us was served the chicken 10 minutes after everyone else- no explanation, no apology, 5- the duck confit entree was so tough it was inedible, and finally, 6- we were charged for the duck confit, never asked if we wanted something else, told that the problem was we did not have a sharp enough knife, and, to top it off- the waiter threatened to quit his job if the duck confit was removed from the bill! He is still employed because it wasn't.
- Lovely dinnermeganrehmVIPDined on 7/11/2014We brought some out of towners here for dinner and had an amazing time. Everyone got the half chicken and their own cocotte and as usual it was delicious. The seasonal squash ratatouille cocotte was better than any others I've tried (potato gratin, cauliflower gratin, fries, peas & carrots with pesto, etc). I would go back just to order that. Anyway the table loved the wine we ordered and the service was great - cozy, homey, and just really great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peppy foxPeppyfoxDined on 7/11/2014We went there for my wife's B-day. Arrived early and they seated us immediately. I had put in the open table that it was my wife's B-day and would like a table that was against the wall and relatively secluded. Well, they gave us the lovers closet that has been converted into a intimate little dining nook. Best chairs, lovely lamp and curtains drawn back. The best seats in the place. Food was out of this world. All wait staff was fun and friendly. They wished my wife Happy B-day as soon as I came in and gave my name. Had a great time. Music was a bit loud but makes it intimate for conversation, since no one can hear what you are saying except who you are dining with. Parking could be tough. Got a spot right in front though, very lucky. Go!Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2014This place is amazing!! I went there to celebrate my birthday. The food is wonderful and the service is excellent. Any occasion is a great opportunity to treat myself in this wonderful place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality neighborhood restaurantMiShuTaiDined on 7/10/2014They gave me a special table just as I had asked. It was very pleasant and the maître d' as well as waiters took time and were attentive. The food was good. The crème brûlée at the end however was not kept in the oven long enough to warm so itg came quite cool. A modest oversight. I would go back again many timesSpecial Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Great roasted chicken and spices. Side dishes wonderful hot and tasty.....service fair but food is so good it doesn't matter. Waiter was a winemaker selling his wine to the table next to us...kind of distracting as his voice was rather loud. He sold his wine to them , a case, on the side...we were waiting for the candy and flower people to try to,sell us something. The restaurant is so good they need to tell this guy to either tone it down, or market his personal wine elsewhere.
- Not what we were hoping forGigiVIPDined on 7/2/2014After all of the great reviews, we were really looking forward to dining here. While the space reminded us of restaurants we have enjoyed in France, we were really disappointed with the food, which was nothing like what we've enjoyed in France. Nothing was awful but nothing stood out either. We began with the pardon peppers and the soup. The peppers were fine but the soup was salty. The duck confit was just ok. We also tried a couple of the cocottes and both were under seasoned and just ok.
- Cute place, decent food, good wineLolacatVIPDined on 6/29/2014I liked this place, but with all the outstanding choices in SF, I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to return. It has a good, fairly priced selection of French wine. The cocotte side dishes are all good (and rather rich), but you can't really have just cocottes as a meal, they are not meant to be "small plates". The main courses were good but a little pricey. If you like beef wellington, try this one. They sous vide their beef wellington before putting the crust on it, so it looks VERY pink, but is cooked.
- Excellent Food !CathyVolunteerDined on 6/29/2014Loved my chicken pate and my sea bass! Will go back regularly just for the chicken liver pate !Special Features:
- Cozy, delicious & reasonably pricedLindaLooDined on 6/28/2014We were early for our reservation and had a glass of wine at the bar. Our seating was a delayed but I can't blame them. Our table was so cozy, I didn't want to leave either! We got a table for 2 tucked in a secluded corner that had a velvet curtain we could draw for extra privacy. Once we were seated, we may have been forgotten about. We weren't approached for about 15-20 minutes but we had our drinks from the bar and our cozy nook so we were fine with that. The roasted chicken was crispy skinned, yet juicy and succulent. The eggplant and squash ragout was savory and comforting. The peas and carrot cocotte was divine! Loved every bite. The wine selection was lovely too. Unfortunately we were too full for dessert. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- Low key French bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/26/2014We skipped the starters and went straight to entrees- rotisserie chicken and the butcher's cut, which was a bavette steak. For cocottes, we went with English peas and carrots, cauliflower gratin, and frites. Everything was delicious, and we finished with a tart tatine that was heavy on the apples and light on pastry served with creme fraiche.Special Features: