1521 Hyde St.
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocottesf.com/
- Phone: (415) 292-4415
- Hours of Operation:
tuesday to sunday 5:30pm - 10.00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, French
- Executive Chef: Mikael Audry
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Cocotte is also specialized in catering business. Call us to organize your next event.
- Private Party Facilities: Whether you are planning a Rehearsal dinner, a Wedding reception, a birthday party as well as a Corporate Event or a friendly get together for the coming Holidays, Cocotte is happy to welcome you in its warm and cozy main room where we can accommodate up to 50 seated guests.
- Private Party Contact: aurore martinez 8776857490
- Entertainment: Live music for French and American Holidays.
- Special Events: Cocotte, charming and cozy restaurant, is the perfect place to celebrate a special event. Please visit the "Private Dining" page for more details.
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Cocotte restaurant merges the timeless essence of the traditional French rotisserie with avant-garde flavors inspired by Califonia’s farm-fresh palate.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (73)fit for foodies (57)romantic (40)special occasion (19)notable wine list (19)hot spot (7)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Mixed ExperienceTravelerDined on 11/22/2014Very noisy and cramped. Ambiance not helped by loud reggae music. Duck platter and signature roast chicken were quite good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placejillkVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great neighborhood spot, small, lively, great food and wine. First time had excellent service, second time on crowded sat night a bit slower but super friendly. will go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- johnVIPDined on 11/15/2014There seems to be abundance of staff here, however, they seem to be working w/o any direction; very difficult to figure out who was our server as the only time we had interaction with the staff was during ordering and getting up and directly walking up to the sous chef asking for sugar and teaspoon for my expresso. One more note, my "BUTCHERs Cut" was not of high quality and definitely less than 9oz; I took a look at the same order served nearby me after dinner and noticed the cut and presentation was very different ( much thicker cut and less fat ) what gives?
- great rabbit!cyberbobDined on 11/14/2014Good entree like Rabbit and mustard and of course good desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit of Paris in San Francisco.BRP2Dined on 11/14/2014This was my fourth visit to Cocotte, and it lived up to my very high expectations once again. The cuisine is French bistro style made with fresh ingredients and cooked exactly right. My favorites include the coq au vin and the confit de canard, the latter being the best I have had in San Francisco. For the true duck lover there is an appetizer plate (big enough for a main course) of charcuterie all of which is made from duck. The soups are excellent as are the lobster salad and smoked trout rilletes as starters. Our dinner companions had a variety of dishes each of which was greeted with enthusiasm. "Cocotte" refers to side dishes cooked and served in small containers. Look up the slang definition yourself! I have had several cocottes, all of which have been excellent. I bring my own wines for a reasonable corkage, fee. Most of the wines on a small list are standard bistro wines reasonably priced. The ambiance is quite Parisian. The restaurant is small, and I strongly recommend making reservations. The servers are prompt, friendly, knowledgeable, but not intrusive. My only cavil is the noise level. It's fine for four people, but I found it difficult with a party of six. On the other hand, all of us were over 70 so the hearing issue may be ours, not Cocotte's. The other downside is the difficulty in finding street parking. Cocotte has an arrangement with a nearby parking lot.See the website for directions. In summary I consider Cocotte an exemplary bistro experience which I intend to repeat often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TorbenDined on 11/11/2014Excellent french food in a nice restaurant with good serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JulesDined on 11/11/2014Service, wines, & food remarkable. Wine recommendations were great. Cow du vin outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overrated Small SpotGGHDinerDined on 11/8/2014As soon as we arrived we saw 2 parties sitting outside enjoying some water looking over the menu. We proceeded to enter and were told to wait for 10 minutes before they actually open at 5:30 PM. (The door was wide open and host, servers, and kitchen staff were walking around preparing, I guess.) They were nice about it but it just seemed kind of weird how the ladies that were there before us got offered seats and water while we just got a smile and be told to wait somewhere. Long story short...We got a bad table even though we were one of the first people there. Service was spotty with somewhat snobby attitudes. Ordered some cocottes...They were fine. Squid and rabbit dishes were way too salty. Wife didn't even want dessert.
- Great Coq au Vin!gretelsmamaVIPDined on 11/7/2014Been wanting to try this place for a while. I know the space - it's very cute and cozy and feels like you're in France (which I love). While the service was pretty darned slow ( took a while just to see a menu), the food was impressive! I had the Coq au vin which was full of flavor and so juicy. The sides of goat cheese and potato gratin and brussel sprouts were also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocotte Delight!mksevycaliDined on 11/7/2014We dined at Cocotte to celebrate my son's birthday and it was delightful. It's a charming little spot and the food is absolutely amazing. So many flavors! The brussel sprouts, the duck, the amazing rabbit pasta, all just delicious. I would absolutely return and recommend highly!Special Features:
- Hyde Street Cocottegourmet2dayDined on 10/22/2014Cocotte was so sophisticated. The restaurant, though small was very inviting. They are particularly well known for their rotisserie chicken, which you can see rotating in the oven from anywhere in the restaurant. My family and I found all of the dishes we ordered to be well above average and very good! The dish that was a particular hit was the the squid entree with the forbidden rice - super delicious.Special Features:
- Formidable!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed everything! Maybe take the cable car to get there for dinner.Special Features:
- Everything great but way too loudWackosuzanneVIPDined on 10/15/2014Food, service, and ambience are perfect. My only complaint is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRP2BRP2Dined on 10/11/2014Our first two visits to Cocotte were worth five stars. This third time suffered from two faults. The mussels contained sand. The wait for service before the restaurant filled up was annoying. The absence of the owner may have contributed to this latter problem. Otherwise, the food was its usual five star quality and the ambience that of a true French bistro. The duck confit is the best I have had outside of France, and the roast chicken rivals Zuni's for the best in San Francisco. The cocottes are consistently interesting and excellent. The prices are surprisingly reasonable for the quality of the food. I highly recommend Cocotte, especially for Francophiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost ReservationNotGoodExperienceDined on 10/10/2014When we arrived to the restaurant Cocotte could not find my OpenTable reservation. They they found the reservation by typing in my last name and it magically appeared. I then asked how this happened and he said "This happens all the time". I then watch the host seat a walk-in right after we arrived. The solution to mitigate the problem was seating us at the bar for 45 minutes just as if we walked in. We were lucky enough to be offered the option to eat our meal at the bar *sarcasm. Not sure what the purpose in making reservations is. I was excited to try this restaurant but reception experience was terrible. Only after I said we were leaving the hostess apologized.
- Total gem -- a new favoriteEJoyDined on 10/7/2014Went with a group of 4 for Mom's last night in town as a special dinner to wrap up the visit. Everything on the menu, even the more bizarre things (squid!) were truly outstanding. We made an effort to try everything. The wine was incredible, the server gave great recommendations... though I think there was no way to go wrong with anything we would have ordered. The cozy space and genuine French staff made it a really special experience. The banana creme brulee was the outstanding dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great deal on french foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/4/2014Had the duck platter appetizer, rabbit and mustard fettucine, squid, brussel sprouts, 2 desserts, and a bottle of wine for $120. Food portions were decent size and very tasty.Special Features:
- Delicious!lswarDined on 10/4/2014The food was perfect and the staff accommodating. As it is a small place it is loud so beware!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wish I had room for moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/3/2014Walked by this restaurant several times and venue is small cute romantic. Not the most easy to get a reservation on a weekend night but such is the sf dining scene. Lobster salad with beets-very fresh and a good light option before the richness arrives. Chicken liver parfait-standard but good, just a little goes a long way. Rabbit and mustard pasta-flavorful, moist, but a bit salty. Beef Wellington with bone marrow-perfection, beef was sooo render, pastry rich and savory, bone marrow is the icing on the cake. Will return most definitely and highly recommend to others!!Special Features:
- Great food - short pour...OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/27/2014I love Cocotte. Amazing menu. Spectacular wine list. Great great food. A lot of the staff has changed though - and that concerns me - but I'll keep an open mind. The new bartender - Yuri (sp?) - pours the shortest glass of champagne I've ever seen. That's just bad form. Fill the flute to the top please - especially when you are getting the $15 a glass stuff. He wasn't as attentive as other bartenders either - we kept having to flag him over. (And by the way - the bar is NOT that big!) But in his defense - I do think he was waiting tables too. That the restaurant might regroup on that. The bartender should tend bar - the waiters tend to the food/table patrons. But hey! - that's just my opinion. Wonderful food though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good but short of greatLocalVIPDined on 9/26/2014The mains we had -- rotisserie chicken and beef wellington -- were very good (the porcini sauce served with the chicken was excellent!) and the cocottes were delicious (esp the cauliflower!). We did not have appetizers because nothing grabbed us, but we ordered an extra cocotte as an appetizer (good choice). Desserts were on the dull side: the molten chocolate cake was pretty flavorless (not very chocolatey at all) and the tarte tatine was mushy but had been overfinished with the blow torch, its topping was too crunchy and sticky, an unpleasant contrast with the soft cake. If you are going to eat dessert calories, they should be excellent and these were not. So concentrate on the mains and cocottes. Wines Wines were fine.Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedFancyFoodieDined on 9/23/2014Very friendly staff. Duck was too salty and slightly over cooked. White wine was not chilled enough. Overall a disappointment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Great duck platter appetizer. One out of our four entrees was salty (rabbit ). Otherwise good. A bit pricey. Waiter was suggesting (too many) appetizers and expensive wine.
- Evening out in the CityChrisDined on 9/20/2014We went to SF for an afternoon and evening out. We want a nice dinner place without being too formal, sort of like an upscale casual Friday equivalent. We found it at Cocotte. The food was great. I love duck and had the duck platter, very nice. I did not have their famous chicken, but did have the pork chop, which was also excellent. Cooked through but still juicy. My honey had the lobster salad and rabbit, both were excellent. Service was friendly. As the place got busier, the service attention slowed down, but was still fine. But the noise level did go up. We arrived early. It was quiet. By the time we left at 8 PM the place was crowded and noise level was energetic. We had a very time time and a great dinner.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemHovattJ83Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food, have to go with their famous chicken. Really loved the chicken liver parfait and banana creme brûlée as well. Only complaints were the noise level and how close the tables are to each other. We literally were part of two other couples' dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but?luncherVIPDined on 9/11/2014Our food and service were excellent but.......we were a party of 6. We ordered wines by the glass at the bar as our table wasn't ready. We brought 3 bottles of wine and were happy to pay the $20. corkage. But, they only allowed one corkage per table. Table for 2 and table for 6 same corkage allowance? Consequently we didn't order more bottles of wine. They lost $40.00 on our table for 6.Special Features:
- Noise place, food okGustavoDined on 9/6/2014The night started there with the host trying to sit us in a table they have under a stair or something like that: terrible idea and we refuse. How could they believe that is adequate? It is almost impossible to serve that table and don't bother the adjacent table...... And it is an uncomfortable sit: dark, tied, claustrophobic maybe. The owner should rethink his ideas about that table. The food was ok: the half chicken is huge (I suggest you to share that plate and the waiter should had suggested it), the 3 sauce taste nothing, but the potato side was delicious!! I ordered the duck leg and it was good. Finally, that is a small place and it is very, very noise!!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service, nice people. Great value in a small comfortable setting. We will return.Special Features:
- LOUDklsjDined on 8/30/2014It was loud, couldn't have a conversation. But the food was delicious. The reason I gave only 3 stars is because of the noise and service was slow at times. It took over ten minutes to get the check after dessert plates were removed and the entire table was cleared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood spotChristDined on 8/29/2014Delicious food and attentive service. A great neighborhood spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EattravelVIPDined on 8/28/2014Great little neighborhood spot. Food was good, not great. Charming ambiance and good service.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/27/2014We had a delicious dinner and a fabulous time at Cocotte. We were the first table to arrive and the food, wine, and service were all excellent. We ordered several plates to share and even shared an entree. The server was very helpful in selecting the perfect wine for us. We even had desert which is unusual for us but delicious as well. We all 4 would highly recommend Cocette.Special Features:
- French on HydeTwofootsDined on 8/20/2014Cozy and cool French bistro on a great SF block. Very good coq au vin. Slightly weird tarte tatin. WTF no capuccino????Special Features:
- It was a good experiencewelove2eatwellDined on 8/16/2014The noise was a shock to we elderly, but the friendliness of the host and the wait staff were terrific. The food was innovative. Try to reserve the "alcove" table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic BistroJessVIPDined on 8/15/2014Very authentic and delicious French bistro food with a great ambiance and charming service. Go for a little trip to France.Special Features:
- Really great! Rich and satisfyingKimmy28VIPDined on 8/14/2014Try the mussels! The service is awesome and so is the food and wine! It's a tiny place though, so expect to hear everyone's conversation as you dine. I highly recommend sitting at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations are no good heretermzeroDined on 8/13/2014Got an Opentable reservation for 7pm for party of three. Although they had my name on the system, our table was not reserved and had to wait 45 to 50 mins.
- frendly servicesushiloverDined on 8/12/2014Everything was good as expected. The only problem was the parking. I had to park my car 8 blocks away from the restaurant. However, this is a perfect neighborhood place for special occasions. Noise level was quiet because the restaurant was not completely full when we got there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodieVIPDined on 8/12/2014Wonderful roasted chicken and delicious sides. Our favorite sf restaurant. We will be back. Great place. 5 star plus.........take a taxi ,difficult parking or park on lot on Polk st and walk
- Solid food good wineDinealotVIPDined on 8/12/2014The appetizers were nicely portioned -- not too little not too much. The salad was really French-inspired -- none of that tired balsalmic drizzle. Dinner for 3 with a bottle of wine and tip runs $250 or thereabouts, so it's not cheap. It's definitely a small place, but a grown-up place for grown-ups. Great rabbit dish and a very good Beef Wellington. The overall experience was very good. I would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.