110 Thompson St.
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocotte-ny.com/
- Phone: (212) 965-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 12:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Basque, French
- Executive Chef: Sebastien Pourrat
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, High Tea, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Cocotte
Cocotte is a South-West French rooted restaurant with accents from the Basque Country. The fusion of the strong basque identity with the French “savoir-faire” has made the South-West of France a gastronomique terroir and way of life both for food and wine for centuries in their most natural and simple ways. Cocotte’s goal is to bring this way of life to your table with carefully selected products on your plate, into your glass, and around you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Cocotte - Best Restaurants in SoHo ›
Cocotte reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (100)neighborhood gem (89)romantic (82)notable wine list (41)special occasion (34)hot spot (27)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (20)late-night find (16)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- French BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/22/2014Fantastic brunch as almost - possibly the best brunch salmon I have had in NYC so far. Great mango bellini too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lexa3fdelVIPDined on 11/16/2014Staff was very warm & charming. Restaurant is small & cozy. Menu was creative & original, if not a little heavy on pork/salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but packs a punchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Great staff and great food. Wine pairings were excellent. Perfect if you want an authentic Parisian underground hole-in-the-wall experience albeit in the West Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tres chic phenomenal foodhkwhVIPDined on 11/15/2014Phenomenal French food and great ambiance. The pictures on their site don't do it justice. We had the beef or "boef" which was cooked in a wine reduction sauce. At first the portions look small because the food comes out in these little Staub cast iron pots. You quickly realize you are completely satisfied as everything is cooked to perfection. Something as simple as sliced potatoes come out crisp. They really get the details and the seasoning. The walls are black and the writing on the walls are in white. Somehow this makes everyone in the restaurant look great. Even as the restaurant got full and people came in waves, we weren't rushed which I really appreciated. Seating is tight and that's the only thing that's a negative. Other than that, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Already made a reservation to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place, mediocre food, only highlighting the..RutalVIPDined on 11/12/2014Nice place, mediocre food, only highlighting the grated cauliflower and letting down the fillet Rossini. (Served in an iron pot with boiling point coming, the cold sirloin were sewn and not as they should be grilled and with a single piece of foie grass on top of one of them. $ 45 for sirloin sewn.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/11/2014Very nice little French restaurant. I found back some of the speciality of the south west of France. Very nice service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great French small dishesychungelleVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is a great cozy little French restaurant that is not pretentious. The food is small-plates style French that are served in "cocottes" (small pots). Everything we tried was great- cauliflower, boef cocotte, pork cheek, duck pate... Duck pate was a nice complement to finish a bottle of red wine and continue our dining/ drinking. In general, I loved that the food wasn't too salty and overly covered in heavy sauce. Authentic French cuisine with a neighborhood/ cozy feeling, which I've been craving since my living experience in Paris. The ambiance is great too- warm lighting, wooden decoration and feel that doesn't feel too rustic or old. Went with two of my girl friends and had a great time! Overall great experience!Special Features:
- Show! Great place.AlbcDined on 11/7/2014Great experience! French basco cuisine. Ambient excelent for a romantic dinner... Tapas in a french mode.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!yvanDined on 11/6/2014I made a reservation and came with a friend that was ten minutes late. Unfortunately I could not seat and had to wait for her coming to be able to check-in. Then the restaurant was full and we had to wait approximately 45 minutes to be seated. The service was attentive and offered some appetizers to compensate for the wait but waiting so long and not being told that the wait would be so long is really annoying. The food was delicious and was the occasion to test new meals and flavors, but unfortunately the wine we had did not suit us - we found it very tanning and not really appropriate for this food. So I would only recommend the restaurant for the food and the service - but I would not come back them, I have a busy schedule and I like drinking wine during my meals.Special Features:
- Great french restaurantJoeLafriteDined on 11/5/2014This is a kind of French restaurant I would like to see more in NYC. I'm french and I've hard time finding gourmet restaurant with great Terroir food. It's usually either the top star restaurant either the old fashioned french restaurant... I recommend Cocotte! The noise level is quite high but it's NYC I guess...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocotte is wonderfulHungryAndThirstyVIPDined on 11/4/2014One of my favorite restaurants in the neighborhood. The food is always excellent, the service is spectacular, and it's always a fun experience.Special Features:
- ReviewerReviewerVIPDined on 10/29/2014Excellent food and attentive waiters, which are the important considerations. However, it is not comfortable and the noise level builds to well beyond the euphemistic "energetic" rating. A better banquette and alleviating the shoulder-to-sholder seating would be well worth adding that cost to the prices.Special Features:
- Delicious brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/26/2014The food was delicious and our waiter was very helpful and attentive. I will return!Special Features:
- wonderful food w/great ambienceDeborahVIPDined on 10/25/2014the food was fantastic. great flavors, nice wine list and perfect portion size. the service was very good. nice intimate restaurant focused on quality. we will be back!!Special Features:
- Good food and serviceTeddygirl1Dined on 10/24/2014Food very good, service excellent and very attentive. Tables not as close as expected! Excellent value.Special Features:
- cozy with good foodanotherPSarchitectDined on 10/21/2014I have eaten here several times, always for lunch. I must come back for dinner some time. Lunch menu is good; salad with hot goat cheese is my favorite. Lentils are excellent. I am not a vegetarian but I have never felt the need to eat a meat dish here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!!SunshineJDined on 10/20/2014Cocotte is one of the best French restaurant in NYC. This little cozy restaurant will serve you perfect food and service. Must go and enjoy!!!Special Features:
- A slice of Basque in NYCseriousfoodie11Dined on 10/19/2014Delicious, authentic food, great bellini, dessert and fantastic service.Special Features:
- Fantastique!Maxiliano11VIPDined on 10/18/2014Great find. My husband and I loved it! Super staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AliciaAliciaDined on 10/18/2014The waitress there was really friendly and helpful. The food was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cool spot in SohoeasymealinsohoDined on 10/12/2014Really enjoyed a wonderful meal. Staff were very accommodating to us with great service and an excellent direction with the menu. Great food, enjoyed every courseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingChelseaDined on 10/12/2014This restaurant was so amazing. The wait staff was so polite. They always held the door anytime anyone entered or exited the restaurant in-between waiting on tables. They were so kind and amicable. The food was AMAZING. I didn't want the meal to end! The restaurant is beautiful inside and very unique. I'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- The food is great but...gourmet101VIPDined on 10/11/2014The tables are very small and the space was tight. You can easily hit the waiter when you stretch and read how much other customers tip. The taste of the food almost can't make up for the jammed feeling during the whole meal... We live in Manhattan for many years and even in Manhattan standard the space was tight.Special Features:
- Delicious and authentic French fooddeincarnatedVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very inventive and authentic French food. Entire staff is French (and sometimes difficult to understand their English, but hardly an issue). Service was decent, but also very...French hahaha. Had a wonderful time, loved the food. Come hungry and ideally after a nice workout - you'll feel guilty after.Special Features:
- Un lugar fabulosoJuangrilloDined on 10/4/2014Cocotte fue la mejor experiencia de este viaje a NY con mi esposa. Es un sitio pequeño, sorprende si ambiente y decoración. Fuimos un sábado para brunch y el "Delicado de Serrano e Ideazabal" es simplemente espectacular. Los huevos con chorizo inmejorables y los jugos franceses deliciosos. Pero lo mejor es la atención cálida y amable de sus dos meseras francesas que nos hicieron pasar un rato memorable. Lo recomendaremos a ojo cerrado y volveremos en cada viaje a NYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overbooked IOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/3/2014We had a 9:15 reservation and did not get seated until 11pm.
- Great Neighborhood FindTommyChardonnayVIPDined on 9/30/2014Cocotte might be my new go-to bistro after my other neighborhood favorite ended its welcoming BYOB policy. Cozy and comfortable atmosphere where you are made to feel at home; unintrustively on-point service. Foodwise, I found the cheese/charcuterie to be a bit overpriced for the portion. The mussels on special were fabulous and the beef and hake were very opposing dishes- great for contrast-and the cauliflower in bechamel was a hit. Enjoyed a fanatastic bottle of gamay- not cheap but very good value.Special Features:
- My new favorite restaurantyummyVIPDined on 9/30/2014I'm not sure when Cocotte opened but I've never heard of it before prior to coming across it on Open Table, doing a bit of cross reference and giving it a try. Wow. I loved everything about this place. Delicious, full flavored tapas. Small, intimate space. Friendly service. Absolutely will be back. It's been many years since I've been so excited to discover a new place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good at brunch, need to returnStuka123VIPDined on 9/28/2014I did like this place, simple mix type of French in the medium size portions. Missing that they don't have cocktails yet.
- Food and staff are so nice!suenycDined on 9/26/2014all food is so nice!! i want to visit here again!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- escape from New YorkMikeDined on 9/23/2014This place is an amazing place that takes you away from ny. The owner and staff are super friendly and the food is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!cflander7VIPDined on 9/22/2014Fantastic food! Absolutely loved it. My girlfriend, brother and mother were all blown away, as was I. The salmon carpaccio is a MUST eat.Special Features:
- WonderfulHungryAndThirstyVIPDined on 9/21/2014Cocotte is always wonderful. The food is incredible, the staff is friendly and legitimately helpful - I've never had a bad experience here. I love it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/13/2014Never had anything at Cocotte that wasn't wonderful. Despite the tight space and noise level, the exquisitely prepared food and especially the warm, welcoming and gregarious personality of the manager (owner?) make every visit to Cocotte memorable and feel like a celebration. One of my favorite restaurants in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagnefiqueEricMDined on 9/13/2014Excellent southern French/Basque cuisine. A short but solid wine list. Went with a party of four, and we had a number of the cocottes and all were excellent. A very small restaurant with a cozy feel but not claustrophobic. I'm sure they could seat more than four but I'm sure you would have to reserve farther in advance than for 2 or 4. The menu is tight and that is good. What they do, they do very well and the staff is very well acquainted with the menu. The cocottes (mini clay pots of a given dish, usually something braised) are great individually or to share.Special Features:
- Very small venueBrettVIPDined on 9/12/2014While the food was excellent, you should be prepared to sit at a table very near others. The room was too small as to be uncomfortable.
- Chic spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/11/2014Lovely atmospher, great service/staff who are super friendly and accomodating, really good menu and different. Very tight quarters but atmosphere and service helps to counterbalance..just wish the bustle didnt make it a little too frenetic and that the next guests werent cramped and practically standing on top of the tables waiting to be seated and your neighbors hear every single word of your conversation... Regardless, I would absolutely return.Special Features:
- French food in a relaxed atmospheredmf13Dined on 9/7/2014Small plate French/Basque food perfect for sharing. We enjoyed every dish but the duck was phenomenal, the hangar steak was perfectly cooked and the piperade was authentic. The service was attentive, we wanted a bottle of wine and we were given several sample tastes to help our decision. As we were leaving it was getting a little loud but we were able to easily converse the entire evening. We can't wait to try the brunch!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyYuriDined on 9/1/2014Foods are pretty good. We had Cocotte hamburger and Egg benedict for brush both were fresh and tasty. Customers were mainly French, so it must be authentic. I will come back next time for the regular menu.Special Features:
- 3 for 3ScottishbrvhrtVIPDined on 8/30/2014Third time there visiting NY and owner remembered me. Even where we sat last time. Great service and even better food. It is small so might not work for a big group. Will be there every visit to NY. 3 visits 3 great meals including Xmas dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.