668 N. Wells Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocorosushi.com/
- Phone: 3129432220x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, BYO Liquor, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Yuko Genda 3129432220x
A word from Cocoro
Since 1996,Cocoro East has been one of Chicago's rare Japanese restaurant where fusion takes a back seat to authentic fare. The owner, chefs and even servers are Japanese,so,when in Chicago,the Japanese know where to go for "down home"comfort(and even fancy) food done the exactly correct way. The very experienced, professional staff, however is also quite creative and accommodating. Specialties include sukiyaki, shabu-shabu, ramen and other noodle soups, sushi/sashimi and many other dishes that might otherwise involve a 14-hr plane ride. Gallery folk, other neighbors and annual convention visitors are the regulars for Cocoro's healthy,exotic,delicious food and warm,friendly,relaxed atmosphere. From a full bar to a high-chair or two, Cocoro is ready for your date, group, me-time or special event!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocoro reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelQuiet
fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Authentic JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/24/2014Every time I eat here my first thought is that I need to come here more often. Start with delicious cocktails or choose from excellent saki selections. Sushi melts in your mouth. Some of the best I've ever had. Too many authentic dishes to mention. I haven't tried their ramen, but everyone else raved about it. Must return soon.Special Features:
- Worst Dining Experience EverOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014The server broke a martini glass full of an melontini on the guest of honor, cut her with the glass, charged her for the broke drink and the replacement. Our server, the self proclaimed "manager" wore a bluetooth headset the entire dinner, didn't make any apologies for anything. We also had to wait 25 minutes between EACH ROLL- for 8 women this ended up being a 3 hour dinner, with the only drink refills coming from a different server after one of us sought her out. The website is a joke of a representation of the inside of the restaurant and the online menu is misleading. I wouldn't recommend anyone but the health inspector go there.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Cocoro reviews archive.
- Wonderful AuthenticKlein007Dined on 5/10/2014Authentic Japanese food with very good service. Moderate prices and good portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, high pricesToriVIPDined on 4/11/2014I liked that this place was BYOB, especially in River North that's almost impossible to come by. The sushi we ordered was pretty standard and I liked all of what we ordered, but thought it was a little pricey for the quality. I've had better quality fish for cheaper in the city, but overall had a great experience. It's a quiet little place so it's great for date nights and the ramen bowls are HUGE to share. Definitely recommend getting that - we did a few rolls of sushi and a ramen bowl and were full but not too over stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional Japanese food, great!AllgoodDined on 4/2/2014They had a traditional Japanese menu as well as Soba, Ramen and full sushi, they also had Shabu Shabu tables. Great place, nice servers, price is moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Flavoraccc44Dined on 3/28/2014This place is great, the service is genuine and the food is always wonderful!!Special Features:
- Hidden SpotTraditionVIPDined on 3/12/2014A little hard to find, but I like it a lot. Takoyaki and the eel combination with soup and salad are my favorites. The plum wine is nice too. It's not crowded so I like this place for a get-together. Why does it not have desserts?Special Features:
- Poor service, average sushiSushiLoverDined on 3/1/2014We got seated quickly, and our server was relatively attentive. However throughout the meal, the service seemed to get worse and worse. The food came out sporadically and the man bringing it to the table would set it down in front of random people without knowing who it belonged to. He never spoke a word to explain which dish/roll was which despite that we explicitly asked every time he dropped off a plate. We mostly got sushi rolls, and they were average, but with so many sushi restaurants in the city, I would never feel the need to return to this one.
- Slow service for average foodKinder101Dined on 2/14/2014This place is a block from my house. The service was really slow and they kept serving our table the wrong food - it should have gone to the people next to us. The service was like molasses but once the good came it was decent. Not great of impressive but good. I'd recommend this place as a laid back casual neighborhood sushi bar. Since its so close I'll be back but I wouldn't go out of your way to eat here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocoro strengths and WeaknessesDianaVIPDined on 2/14/2014Quality of the food was overall very good and we were happy to find a neighborhood sushi restaurant that is authentically Japanese and not fusion. Fresh, quality ingredients made for some very good dining. Service throughout the meal was inattentive and, even though we had a reservation, they tried to seat us at a table we did not want, saying the other ones were "reserved." Really? Nabayaki Udon was delivered with two tiny soup spoons so we couldn't get the broth or noodles out. A long-awaited ladle was not much bigger.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Service was very slow and staff forgot couple of items ordered.
- Good local sushi placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/10/2014Could get in on a friday night, the staff was friendly, the food was good, the sashimi was expensive but it is sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/23/2013I can't believe I just found this restaurant! The sushi was some of the best I've ever had, and that was on a Monday. I was shocked. The Una Ju was outstanding. This is an authentic Japanese restaurant, not some chain facsimile. We ordered numerous apps to share and everything was perfectly cooked and delicious. Large sushi plate also delicious. Going back to try the Ramen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunRestauranteerDined on 11/8/2013Brought My girlfriends for a birthday dinner and we had a blast! We had multiple servers and they were all so accommodating (we are somewhat of a difficult bunch). The food was really inexpensive but delicious and we all brought our own wine. No limit to how much and no corking fees made this a very affordable way to celebrate a birthday! I highly recommend this place if you are out with a groups that doesn't want to fork out tons of cash to eat in river north!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The sushi is definitely notlinadinaVIPDined on 11/1/2013The sushi is definitely not the best I've ever had, but by no means bad. I'm still giving the food 5 stars though because everything else on the menu is fantastic and extremely authentic! The service is spot on every time we go. And who doesn't love a BYOB with no corkage fee that ALSO services $5 cocktails on a Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authentic japanesehrubVIPDined on 10/25/2013very well prepared real japanese food without pretension good value, fair prices definitely an excellent venue for cooked japanese food the sushi is very good, but not a go to place for the finest examplesSpecial Features:
- I'm excited about visiting again!ChristinalovesfoodDined on 9/7/2013This place was great! Food, awesome. I never wanted a thing we were so attended to. I'm very happy to have discovered this place, !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2013cocoro japanese restaurant is VERY AUTHENTIC JAPANESE FOOD great sushi and great ramen dishes as well as appetizers. a real surprise..... when we got in front of the restaurant, we thought we would be dissappointed as the buiding inside and outside is very plain. but quality of food made up for that! service was very good also, adn the owner was one of our wait persons!!Special Features:
- Haven't had authentic JapaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/6/2013Haven't had authentic Japanese food like this since going to Japan, definitely not in Chicago. Very fair price, too. Staff is very willing to help and provide guidance, if you ask. Bring a sense of adventure though... there are a few things on the menu that you may be surprised by. And, if you think Japanese food all has spicy mayo and tempura crunch in it, you might be disappointed. That said, they have a big list of rolls that I was too full of appetizers and sukiyaki to try. Next time. There will definitely be a next time.Special Features:
- Food is very good, traditionalKeiJCVIPDined on 4/6/2013Food is very good, traditional Japanese style. Don't know who was our server. This part was confusing. Not sure if they were all working together or not? Also, they didn't have my reservation. Luckily, we're there early so it was not a problem.Special Features:
- food is great, but servicejusyDined on 3/8/2013food is great, but service gets bad when place is overwhelmed~Special Features:
- This place has some greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/12/2013This place has some great authentic Japanese food. Their Japanese curry is delicious and the list of Japanese appetizers must be explored. This was a great find and I plan on returning and trying more of the menu!Special Features:
- Why go?herodotusVIPDined on 1/25/2013Why go to Tokyo when we have Cocoro? Excellent authentic Japanese cuisine. Not pretentious. Very friendly service. One of my favorite restaurants in Chicago.Special Features:
- Service was very slow frombobbyxkrVIPDined on 9/28/2012Service was very slow from the time we walked in to the time we had to pay the bill. On this particular night they appeared to be under-staffed as 2 waiters were serving at least 25 people. My gf and I started off with the kimchi. It was quite mediocre. Maybe it's just not my taste. We also had a platter of various sushi, sashimi, etc... Half were quite good but the rest were not good at all. This particular platter cost $34 and thought it was quite a rip off.
- The food was out of this worldlandlockedseafoodloverDined on 9/1/2012The food was out of this world and the service couldn't have been better. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the three of us--there for a birthday dinner--were able to talk comfortably. Our server, also the owner, recommended dishes when we had a question, and her recommendations were perfect. The shabu-shabu and gyoza were the best we've ever had anywhere. New dish: daikon appetizers were fabulous. The martinis rocked! Is open for lunch as is probably an excellent place for that as well. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Great authentic Japanese food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2012Great authentic Japanese food. The jellyfish was delicious!Special Features:
- Fresh, Fresh, fresh. All ofOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 7/27/2012Fresh, Fresh, fresh. All of our sushi choices were awesome with a beautiful presentation by a master chef. The service was friendly, you felt as if you were in their home, VERY nice. I will returnSpecial Features:
- Ramen Soup was Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2012When I was in Tokyo, Japan a few years ago, I fell in love with Ramen. It's been hard finding a place that has authentic Ramen in the States. I was so happy when I ordered the Ramen and it was just like I remembered. Great food!
- Great food, great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2012Great food, great service and an overall great experience! Thank You!Special Features:
- A wonderful place to eat traditionaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/4/2012A wonderful place to eat traditional japanese food
- Extremly poor services...OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/21/2012Worst dining experience this year...we came specifically for the Shabu Shabu and they didn't have any meat prepared for it. You got the impression that it is rarely ordered. The waiter was apologetic. The edamame was overlooked but the soft shell shell crab was quite good. The really disappointing part was the fact that we never got the main part of our meal, our sushi. In spite of waiting 2 hours...for dishes that reuires no cooking time! In that entire time, we couldnt even round up the waiter to get a second round of drinks. The service was just deplorable.
- Bothering the waitress?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/7/2012Came in right at 8:00 for our reservation, but it was apparent we didn't need one. Despite numerous open tables, though, we weren't seated for 20 minutes. The service only got worse from there. The waitress stopped by our table as little as possible and it was a struggle to even get the check. The sushi was OK, but absolutely not worth what we paid in relation to the service we received. I was definitely hoping for a new neighborhood go-to, but instead found another restaurant I'll simply walk past everyday without any thought of entering.
- OK food, needs a facelift.originalfoodieDined on 2/14/2012Restaurant decor is tired; many tears in carpet, drab colors. Food was good, but not outstanding. Service was attentive and friendly Good location, plenty of street parking.
- fantastic, homestyle japaneseOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/11/2012fantastic, homestyle japanese food. i really enjoyed the nagasaki champon, a gigantic bowl of noodle soup topped with a pile of bean sprouts and other assorted vegetables
- The food at Cocoro was decent,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2011The food at Cocoro was decent, but the service was definitely not up to par. Don't plan on returning. I made a reservation for 7:30 for 11 people, knowing we had somewhere to be at 9:30. People had all shown up at 7:45 and we had to ask multiple times for drink menus, food menus and to get someone's attention to order. Our drinks took about 25 minutes to come out and by 8:45 there was still no sign of food. We told the waitstaff we had to leave by 9:30 and asked if they could bring our check with the food. All of our food finally arrived after 9 and we only had a few minutes to eat. The food was satisfactory - decent selection of sushi, but not the cheapest. They need more people working to handle the customer flow. Not recommended.
- We enjoyed true home cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/14/2011We enjoyed true home cooking of japanese food. I have been telling all my clients all about it.Special Features:
- So far this is the best JapaneseTimeZoneTravelerVIPDined on 10/7/2011So far this is the best Japanese restaurant in the River North. Remember, Japanese food is just not about sushi...the shabu shabu was good and it's nice to visit a Japanese restaurant that is actually Japanese-owned! I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Short and briefly: the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2011Short and briefly: the food was good, but we had to wait for 1.5 hour !!! for the sushi. The service was totally overwhelmed by a big group and all the other guests had to suffer. We got one refill of water during the waiting time. No one ever checked on us or excused the long wait. After we complained more than once they finally offered us a free dessert. But we didn't have the patience to wait for that. By the way it was my birthday dinner...
- Here is an example of a placetommmyVIPDined on 9/10/2011Here is an example of a place that went from special to "won't go there again". Too many people at one table in the middle of the room, all shouting and expanding, so I had to actually move my chair to the other side of my table. The waiters had 4 inches to pass my table, to serve the other side of the room. Literally, my table was bumped 34 times. As we were leaving, I had to ask a man at the adjacent table to move, so my wife and I could pass by. He seemed annoyed. The hostess was new and did not know how to do the job. Tough steak. Maybe it was a bad night, but no one in management seemed to want to deal with anything. In Chicago, there are too many choices.
- The food was excellent--veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2011The food was excellent--very authentic Japanese food, Service was great. Not pretentious at all.Special Features: