500 Brannan Street
San Francisco, CA 94107Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://coco500.com/
- Phone: 4155432222
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00 pm;
Friday: 11:30am - 11:00pm;
Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian
- Executive Chef: Loretta Keller
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: There is no event too large or too small for COCO5OO.
- Private Party Facilities: Our dining room can be sectioned off to create a private dining area for 20 to 40 people. We can also reserve the entire restaurant for parties of up to 75 people.
- Special Events: We are pleased to offer the restaurant for large groups up to 60.
A word from COCO5OO
Loretta Keller's new south of market hotspot brings in the crowds to enjoy its warm, modern vibe and bold, stimulating flavors. Italian glass tile, Douglass fir, chocolate tones and rich teak finishes set the mood in this 1906 wood structure that anchored the corner of Fourth and Brannan as Bizou since 1993. The restaurant's commitment to high quality, small production ingredients begins in the kitchen, extends through the wine list, and forms the foundation of the new-fashioned bar. Cocktails at COCO5OO are handcrafted utilizing organic ingredients - fresh squeezed juices and premium, small production spirits.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
COCO5OO reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (17)romantic (10)special occasion (10)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- A farewell to CocotoddxVIPDined on 7/9/2014It was an honor to dine at Coco500 on it's final open night. And, as I expected, the food and the service did not disappoint. From the squash blossom and truffle flatbread to the Moroccan chickpea stew to the transcendent beef cheeks, I was in food heaven. Getting to see and hear Loretta Keller's farewell to her final diners at Coco was a bittersweet cherry on top of a wonderful night. My heartfelt thanks to her and the staff, especially Jean and Peggy who were always lovely. I will miss Coco, but I look forward to Loretta's future projects.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time Travel to Coco500BonAppetitDined on 7/5/2014My husband and I made a reservation as soon as we heard that Coco500 is closing July 9, 2014. The staff is superb, the setting chic and comfortable, and the food just right - simple, straightforward, fresh. We shared the classic batter fried green beans, so crisp with a refreshing yogurt dill, cucumber, red onion dip. A killer heirloom tomato salad. The beef cheek was incredibly tender, with a whole seed mustard crust, perfect with horseradish sauce and lots of watercress. And of course the Coco Cups for dessert. I had a sparkling rose and my husband enjoyed the Pinot Noir. We thanked the staff and sent our appreciation along to Loretta Keller and best wishes on her ongoing endeavors. So get in your time machine, travel back and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COCO500 closing and it showstablebeckDined on 7/2/2014Since the restaurant is closing next week (which we didn't know) it is probably not necessary to review, but there was no AC and it was sweltering, the noise was overwhelming and the service was apathetic. We couldn't even get our water glasses filled. The signature green beans were good and nothing else impressed me, but when your senses are so assaulted by noise and heat and irritating service, nothing tastes good anyway.
- We'll really miss Coco500Stella480VIPDined on 6/30/2014We've loved going to Coco500 and are quite sorry to know that they'll be closing next week so that Loretta Keller can focus on education. Everyone should try to get in one last meal - especially a Vacherin for dessert - before they wrap up. Glad to know that the staff are landing in good places, and we'll look forward to seeing them at other restaurants post-Coco500.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingJr49erDined on 6/27/2014Food was outstanding. Our second time before a home game, won't be our last!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/19/2014The fish from the wood fired oven and the buttermilk panne cotta with rubarb compote and fresh strawberries was deluxe! U nay try to dupicate it at home with the fresh fruits of the season. Interesting wine selectionwith fewer bottles from California than many restauranrs made us venture into welcome new wine territory. although it gets bustling, the dining space is fairly small and tables are far enough apart to hold separate conversations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!AvidDinnerVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food was great! 2 of us shared fried green beans, kale and potato flatbread, and warm brussel sprout salad. You CANNOT go wrong with any of those options. While we typically would have chosen a different appetizer, we read so many great reviews of the fried green beans we just had to get. Waiter was not as knowledgeable (may have been new) but would find out answers and come back ASAP.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the barWeimdineDined on 6/13/2014Arrived early so started at the bar, and never moved away from there - Luis and Matt the barmen did a great job maintaining the flow of great cocktails and recommending bar food suitAble for me and my vegan friend. We enjoyed the evening and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome pre-Giants dinnerlauraVIPDined on 6/7/2014We hadn't been in years, but needed a special place to go before the Giants' game. It's perfectly located and the food was just as good as we remembered. Parking will also be readily available and cheap when the Giants aren't playing. Can't beat the battered green beans, beef cheeks, halibut, and whole fish. Dense chocolate cake also great. The squash blossom flat bread was just okay. We love this place.
- VeggieOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/6/2014First off, I'm a regular and rate Coco500 as one of my top SF choices. Tonight, however, I dined with a friend who is a vegetarian, so no tripe or beef cheek or pork for me. The four shared dishes we had were all excellent and I actually didn't miss having meat. Great job Coco500.Special Features:
- The following 839 reviews are from the COCO5OO reviews archive.
- Amazing desserts!sweettoothDined on 5/29/2014We had a team dessert event here. Perfect atmosphere for team-building, and the food was delicious, and service was truly professional and amazing! Definitely try the chocolate vacherin - it's their signature dessert. :)Special Features:
- Wine & food both excel!HannaVIPDined on 5/22/2014Great variety in the menu-eat light or heavy -great food choices. Wines by the glass excellent choices. Would go back here again & again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kind of strangeItsallgoodDined on 5/21/2014we ordered the ceviche, and it was the strangest ceviche I've ever had ... it seemed to have mayonnaise in it ... it was way more like tuna salad than ceviche ... it wasn't bad, it just wasn't ceviche. And the waiter was nice, but he wasn't a good waiter - very chatty and friendly - he even sat down at our table for a moment, but didn't keep up on our drinks ... I had to track him down to order wine ... and then I wanted a second glass and asked for one, but it never came. Finally, we just asked for our check instead of waiting for a second glass ... and we went to 25 Lusk and had our second glass of wine ...Special Features:
- Really Good Unassuming PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014Enjoyed the staff, ease of parking and overall experience. My party had the deep fried green beans, garlic soups, flatbread, warm brusselsprout salad and the halibut. All were excellent. We topped it off with a wonderful panna cotta with a rhubarb/strawberry complement. A great experience at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coco 500GiGiDined on 5/16/2014I love this place! The food, service & atmosphere were all sublime!Special Features:
- Consistently excellentSlug74VIPDined on 5/6/2014Always a great meal here with a changing menu and fresh ingredients. One of the best restaurants in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too loud!!ClarkDined on 4/22/2014The food was wonderful but we were so uncomfortable with the intense noise that all six of us will not return.
- Great food for SF visitorsMedillguyDined on 4/17/2014Got an introduction from one of friends as a top SF restaurant. 2 Japanese persons went for a dinner with several dishes, beer and wine. Good local wine recommendations that delighted my friend. Every dish came with wonderful tastes. Would love to come back here next time again.Special Features:
- Worth the $$SFGirlVIPDined on 4/12/2014COCO 500 has an eclectic menu which accommodates a variety of food tastes. Pizza for kids, veggies for Vegetarians and meat for the carnivore. The atmosphere is casual an friendly. The service efficient and unobtrusive. I will recommend COCO 500 and we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Among the best in San FranciscoOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 4/11/2014When visiting San Francisco, there are an overwhelming choice of superb restaurants and I'm always torn between trying someplace new and old favorites. However, I always have one meal at CoCo500. It is truly one of the finest in San Francisco. Consistently innovative with farm to table ingredients, perfectly prepared fare and professional, knowledgeable wait staff. A group of 6 foodies, we ordered a wide variety of items and shared tastes. Everything was delicious and perfectly prepared. Also, the pricing is moderate making the experience an extraordinary value. An easy walk from Market St, I also like that it is outside the overwhelming crunch of tourists along the Embarcadero and Union Square.Special Features:
- A SOMA favorite for 10+ yearsSFLizVIPDined on 4/11/2014Coco500 is reliably great for artisan cocktails, a great by-the-glass wine list, the bar snacks are perfect (deep fried green beans!) and lunch is solid.Special Features:
- Good findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Second terrific experience. Friendly, attentive staff. Inventive and savory dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go-to neighborhood spotAmbianceDined on 4/4/2014Coco500 is my favorite lunch or after-work drink spot. Get there early, before the noise level becomes distracting. Great food, great cocktails, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the bean stewAlfieVIPDined on 3/31/2014All the food was great. I loved the bean stew. Staff was great and considerate. I definitively would recommend trying!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fun and always deliciousNovatoeatsDined on 3/26/2014Always fun and always delicious and creative food. Truffle flatbread, ceviche salad, brussels sprouts salad, NY steak... all were fantasic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine night outJGNjrVIPDined on 3/12/2014COCO500 has it all -- excellent food, friendly professional service, attractive contemporary decor. We really enjoyed our dinner and will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/1/2014Simple, delishous, non pretentious. A great restaurant for chefs to eat at. Solid. Left satisfied and that's saying a lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding servicefoodloverVIPDined on 2/28/2014The staff was exceptional. Two people in our party fell just before we entered the restaurant and the staff could not do enough for us; bringing ice and bandages. Their concern was very much appreciated. The meal was also delicious.Special Features:
- The FoodpingVIPDined on 2/26/2014As I had been to Coco500 only once 5+ years ago I found the food to be better than expected. The menu is pleasingly varied with unique offerings, such as the deep fried green beans which were al dente but with a wonderful crispy dredging and fry. We also had the asparagus soup, the duck liver crostini, the pear and red pepper pizza, albacore and capellini, gingerbread and sorbets/gelato with cookies. The Grenache blend was just ok, but certainly the right not too intense body. There was a long wait between the green beans and next course. Service was helpful and engaging.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint lunch spotJD12Dined on 2/24/2014I had a great lunch while entertaining a client who was in town for the day. The decor was tasteful and the service was great. A nice selection of options for lunch that lent itself to many discussions. I will definitely come back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!BabblesVIPDined on 2/22/2014Great food, wonderful service, delicious cocktails (and mocktails) and an intimate setting. Couldn't ask for anything more! Definitely get the tuna-stuffed piquillo peppers!Special Features:
- Very satisfied!SOMAExecVIPDined on 2/19/2014This trip, the food was fantastic as usual. And, I am very happy to see the beans back as a permanent app. The service was even friendlier than usual -- the hostess kept me entertained while I waited for my colleague to join for lunch. Coco has become my favorite spot for work-related lunches in the SOMA area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulCCLWDined on 2/18/2014I truly don't know how to write about a restaurant that is so on point. It is my favorite restaurant in the city, from the ambiance, to the amazingly created dishes, to the diligent and knowledgeable staff. I have loved Loretta Keller's dishes since this was Bizou, and she just keeps getting better. It is always a joy to go to COCO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food w variety andOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/12/2014very good food w variety and plenty of healthy options; festive cocktail menu; good and friendly service; place was quite full on a Wednesday nightSpecial Features:
- great flatbreads, entreesdc4916Dined on 2/11/2014We had two of the flatbreads as appetizers, which were both perfect. I had the whole fish special and it was almost perfect - really fresh-tasting and flavorful. My friends had the steak (cooked to a perfect medium-rare), the beef cheeks (good, but not mind-blowing), and the vegetarian entree. Drinks and cocktails are right on the high-normal range for the city ($10-15/drink) and the ones we had were all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good place for a weekday dinnerhmehrVIPDined on 2/4/2014Good choices of food and not too noisy. The wine list is good too. Everything is just good and make it a great place for a nice weekday sit down dinner to chat with your friend. The staff are maybe too nice, they drop by one too many time though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The vegetables were particularlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/3/2014The vegetables were particularly wonderful. We ordered three.Special Features:
- Mixed review on meal and serviceBurlpersonVIPDined on 1/30/2014I wish some of the entrees had a better description or that our waiter had been better at description. He didn't ask if I wanted more wine or a coffee refill either. Food was uneven..it was more like 2.5 stars, not 3. My entree was really tasty. My husband said his was not as flavorful as he would have liked. As to the noise level, it is more than energetic. Really loud. It wasn't overly crowded, but they seemed short one staff person. The bus man was really on top of it, more so than the overworked waiter.
- Quick solid business lunchMarcusDined on 1/30/2014Perfect place as my counterpart was coming up from the South Bay. Great food. I had the Duck Confit, but my friend had the ham and gruyere sandwich... wish I had had that one!Special Features:
- Not as good as it used to beYummyFoodForagerDined on 1/27/2014Coco500 used to be one of my favorites but it's started to decline. I'd still recommend it as a place that is near the Caltrain but alas, both the service and the food just aren't what it used to be a few years ago. For instance, we ordered the olive oil (comes with bread), but the bread was sitting on the plate with the olive oil. In other words, it was already quite oily before we even picked it up, making for oily hands. Most places I've been to put the bread on a separate plate or basket. We also felt rather rushed with the ordering, and just not particularly welcomed. The green beans are still amazing though.