Cocina del Barrio
5036 France Ave S
Edina, MN 55410Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cocina del Barrio
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://barriotequila.com/barrio/#!/CocinadelBarrio
- Phone: 9529201860x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm,
Dinner: Sunday & Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm,
Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
HAPPY HOUR: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Adam Ruplinger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: • Full Service or Drop Off
• Beverage Service Including Signature Cocktails
• Custom Menus
• Seated Dinners, Buffet Dinners, Appetizers and our Build your own Taco Bar
• Fresh, Local and Authentic Recipes and Ingredients
- Private Party Facilities: Warm, inviting and flexible, our private dining room offers seating for up to 18 people and standing space for 30. Completely customizable for your event, order off of the menu or let us create a custom selection for you. Complete with 55" plasma, HDMI hook ups and iPod input for your audio, this room is sure to be a hit for meetings, celebratory dinners or casual gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Tyler Lineburg 952-920-1860x
A word from Cocina del Barrio
Our focus is chef-driven Latin cuisine that always uses the best ingredients available. Our menu is designed to change to reflect the season, using the freshest, local, natural and sustainable ingredients available. We offer unique cocktails along with craft beer selections with a local emphasis as well as an extensive wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocina del Barrio reviews from OpenTable diners
45 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (20)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (14)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (7)great for lunch (6)special occasion (6)hot spot (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)romantic (2)Show More
- The BarrioBuzzDined on 9/12/2014We, a party of 4, did not wait for a table. We had reserved it in advance. The noise level was deafening. Our waiter was very attentive. Two of us sent our entrees back to the kitchen for warming. We did get a discount on our dinner which was very kind. Would we return? No.Special Features:
- Date night!Ksalz9348Dined on 9/6/2014Went there for a fun evening out! The food is always delicious and the service was, like usual, perfect. The Edina location on a Saturday night isn't that busy so if you're looking for a relaxed, non busy restaurant this location is your pick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentDined on 8/9/2014There were inconsistencies. As the only people in the dining area and they seated a screaming toddler right next to us. The restroom stall had a single recessed light with no working bulb and the bath tissue bin was empty with a roll on top almost gone. Our waiter was new and very good but it was clear no other wait person would help him at all. The team was not working together. It was so loud, I ate my date’s taco because neither of us could hear what another staff person brought, The snapper ceviche was good but I would not recommend the tacos, salsa or margaritas – and I tried the Trinity and the Skinny Momma (or whatever it was called). And the bar – the bar – was so behind we waited 10-15 minutes for drinks. Inconsistent.Special Features:
- An Evening at Cocina del BarrioRichHDined on 7/12/2014Met expectations of good, south of the border cuisine. Uneven training of staff -- spilled water on table, dropped glassware.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased with the food!MNMomVIPDined on 7/6/2014We came to the Edina Barrio when it first opened a few years ago and were not impressed and hadn't been back. But, we live really close and decided to give it another try after looking at the menu online. The food was great! Our 4 year old loved the shrimp and tortilla soup and crab empanada. And we liked everything we ordered. We will definitely be going back. We went for an early dinner on July 6th when most people are still out of town so it was very quiet. It is usually very busy though in the evenings.Special Features:
- Great place to take out of townersnewfoodieDined on 7/3/2014The atmosphere is one of a kind. The food is amazing and the drinks are even better. If you want a margarita then you have to get the Trinity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/13/2014My husband and I went to dinner here for my birthday. 1st time here. We were early for dinner so not too crowded and quieter. Chips and salsa was great. I especially liked the verde salsa. Husband had a chicken enchilada & a pork enchilada. Both good, loved the chicken best. I had the chicken enchilada & a steak taco. Loved the chicken enchilada best, steak taco needed a little salt but good also. Husband said we will definately go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my faves!JesspDined on 6/5/2014Barrior NEVER disappoints! I took two of my girlfriends from out of town. They also were in love. Great cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalMexicanFoodieDined on 5/31/2014The food was incredible! We loved the cilantro rice.Special Features:
- portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014very overpriced for the size of the portions. nice atmosphere but not worth the drive and price. not impressed
- Good, reliable, and funNancySGVIPDined on 5/30/2014We took our kids for dinner here on a Friday night. There are lots of small plate and entree choices for teenagers and adults. Friendly service and fun drinks. We will be back.Special Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Cocina del Barrio reviews archive.
- First impressionCaj89VIPDined on 5/17/2014This was the first time visiting Barrio and it was for a late lunch with a friend. The place was virtually empty but I think it was because it was so late. My friend and I both opted for the burrito. Mine was steak which was very tasty. It came with home made chips which were also yummy. The serving was enormous and we both took home half our meals. It was just as good for lunch the next day! I'm looking forward to visiting again someday to try some small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedSparksthatfadeDined on 5/12/2014Food was over priced and not that good. Went there with a large group of people and everyone seemed bummed out by the food that showed up in front of them. I ordered the adobo quesadilla and it was very bland. The waitress was attentive but not very engaging. I do appreciate her patience, as our group arrived at various times. Parking in Edina around 7pm was also a challenge (on a Monday).
- Ladies NightHappycoupleVIPDined on 5/9/2014I made a reservation for out of town guests and we were warmly welcomed and very well taken care of throughout the evening. Excellent service and food. Small plates so we were able to sample a lot of different offerings. All were delicious!!!! I'll bring my husband next time.Special Features:
- If you are just up for drinks...gordonDined on 5/5/2014and tapas it's great. If you actually want dinner I would go elsewhere. The tapas plates are very small and really aren't good for sharing. They are however beautifully prepared and everything but the Mahi taco we had was great. The Mahi tasted like it had been kept 1 day too long. Mahi is tough that way, a very delicate fish to transport. I'm kinda mixed on this place, it's very good for what it is but maybe it's just not what I like. The small plate thing just never satisfies my hunger, and if you get something you really like you are torn between ordering more of it or trying something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cinco De MayoShannonDined on 5/5/2014Had a great lunch special which was outstanding. Margaritas were even better. It was perfect for girls lunch. Great location being on 50th and France. All around great value, service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and uniquebabinaDined on 5/3/2014Served as tapas, this meal was absolutely delicious!! Unique combinations and flavors were incredibly fun to explore. Wait staff was incredibly prompt and helpful. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Great eats. Great prices.FromMinneapolisDined on 5/3/2014I always enjoy coming here. Great eating at a terribly decent price. The problem with most 'authentic' Mexican restaurants is that all their entrees, burrito, taco, tamal, etc. taste basically the same; built from the same basic spice and herb mix. Barrio's menu items actually offer different flavor mixes. And at surprisingly low prices!Special Features:
- Great for sampling!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/30/2014Our work group enjoyed sharing lots of different small plates - the portions are indeed "small plates" - you have to order a lot to share with a table full of people. We had very attentive service & good recommendations. Everything we tried was very fresh & tasty.Special Features:
- Amazing foodHJfoodiesDined on 4/26/2014Great food selection with an amazing tequila bar. Definately take part in the tequila flights you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Our group came for a late lunch on Sunday and we loved the food and the place. Thanks!Special Features:
- rickyDined on 4/12/2014Great place - we always love eating here! The food & service is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy NoshingTommyDined on 3/29/2014Service was attentive, non-obtrusive, friendly and helpful. Could not have been better. Food was yummy, Our party of six ordered 10 different small plates. Everyone found something they liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun!ColleenKVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food at Barrio was great! (As always!) The guac is always delicious and we didn't have anything we didn't truly enjoy. Their drink, Enter the Dragon, is really flavorful. I love the sweetness and the hint of spice that does follow. Our server was attentive and had great appetizer suggestions.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerJamsDined on 3/14/2014The service was outstanding. The food was fabulous. We tried many items. All good! It was cold though. If I went again in the Winter I would keep that in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodPatbDined on 3/8/2014Good fast food. Authentic and the burritos are awesomeSpecial Features:
- Love the atmosphere. It remindedguru35Dined on 3/4/2014Love the atmosphere. It reminded me of a place a good looking devil would hang out if he loved mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Latin?DisgustingDined on 2/28/2014The ambiance is all Spanish and they serve tapas but all of the food is Mexican. It's OK food, some tapas were good, others not. Some were priced fairly, others expensive.
- First visit and we'll be back againPamGDined on 2/22/2014The overall experience was exceptional. Our waitress suggested several menu options and all lived up to the recommendation. We enjoyed the variety of selections on the menu as well as their presentation. This was a wonderful sample of Latin, Spanish and Mexican cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $$$$ little bitesOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/22/2014Expensive...decent food but really loud and the tables for 2 are impossibly small since you have a billion platters. The heating AC is problematic, as we kept getting hit with cold bursts from the back doors despite being in the middle dining room. The staff was very helpful and made good recommendations. We eat out frequently so its unusual to have the wait staff rate so much higher than the facility.Special Features:
- Overall this is a great place.GillyDined on 2/16/2014Overall this is a great place. My only complaint was that one of my entrees was not hot when served.Special Features:
- AwesomeBellaDined on 2/15/2014I was so impressed with Barrio! They did a great job for a last minute reservation for my birthday! I will definitely be going back again :)Special Features:
- Food Review 34OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014It had food, it was pretty great latin inspired food. The tables were really close to together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best customer service I'veOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Best customer service I've ever had. Went above and beyond for our questions and requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Obnoxious neighbor, in my lapOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014If you make reservations for two here you might as well make them for three and then say you had someone cancel at the last minute once you are sitting. If not, you run the risk of sitting literally on top of the person next to you. After I was seated (luckily it wasn't a date) the couple next to me (verbally annoyed they had to move their coats out of the seats) proceeded to talk about absurd topics at nothing less than a fog horn level decibel rating. Additionally, there were many open two person tables but I was put about 9 inches away from these people. Food was good, per usual. Next time I will try the '3' people on the reservation so I never have to suffer through that again.Special Features:
- Sit in front rooms onlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/7/2014The front rooms wih the bar and booths have nice ambiance, but the back room was like a harshly lit bathroom with high intensity can lighting, unpleasant breeze from the heating system, and inattentive slow service. Like going to two different restaurants. I will never sit in the back room again, what are they thinking?
- Class ActCHamDined on 1/25/2014Seated immediately, friendly efficient service, delicious food. A little loud for my taste but well worth another (and another) visit.
- My favorite tortilla soupjajdDined on 1/18/2014I've been eating at barrio for 4 or more years now, since the opening of the Nicollet Mall location. They serve a fabulous tortilla soup. My favorite one to date. Fun drink mix - always good to try a few of them. They must only service the white sangria in the summer as they didn't have it in January. Great place. Give it a try!Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceJulieWIDined on 1/18/2014I love going to Barrios! There food and drinks are always great! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mom's Night OutCrabbyMrsJDined on 1/10/2014Barrio was great for six mom's who needed at "time out" from work and their kiddos. The staff was so wonderful, considering how each of us arrived at different time, required a cocktail immediately upon arrival, and was generally slow to make up their mind about what to eat. So yeah, we're a challenging crowd for servers to manage--but manage they did! (Putting us in the room in the back was nice too!) The best part? When we settled our tab, it turns out they already had separate checks ready for us. Amazing! THANK YOU!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.