930 Tchoupitoulas St.
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5045882123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Donald Link & Stephen Stryjewski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Entertainment: From Cajun to Elvis to rockabilly, Cochon features a lively atmosphere and a diverse mix of southern-styled music.
A word from Cochon
Cochon captures the true essence of Cajun and Southern cooking. Chefs Donald Link and Stephen Stryjewski bring their love for southern Louisiana foods to every plate at Cochon. Donald's experience cooking with his family at their homes in Crowley and Rayne allow guests to share in his passion for real country and home cooking. The food is focused and simple, featuring roasted meats with natural sauces, homemade sausages, and fresh local seafood. The menu compliments the rustic, yet contemporary setting of the dining room. The Bar at Cochon features signature cocktails as well as the classic libations of New Orleans. A diverse beer selection with an emphasis on local micro-brews offers a cool contrast with the sometimes spicy cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Cochon reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (31)hot spot (29)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (23)special occasion (12)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Pig!earlydinerDined on 10/17/2014Cochon was a great find in NOLA! Service and food were outstanding. We dined on small plates and apps for an early dinner and couldn't have been happier with the quality and variety. Servers were very attentive and helpful - especially by being non-judgy as we "pigged out."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014We ate at Cochon at lunch. Wow! The ribs were awesome as a combo the the gumbo. My wife loved the Oyster and Bacon sandwich. Worth the hike from the French Quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Restaurant. Ever.r2d2Dined on 10/13/2014Every dish I tried here was not just excellent but outstanding. Great cocktails, casual vibe. Around the corner is Butcher which is great for lunch/take-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Definitely a delicious dinner. I recommend the meat pie for sure. Our waitress had excellent suggestions about what to order. My husband had a peanut butter pie for dessert which he loved. Also the rabbit stew was delicious. Excellent beer and wine selection. Service good. No complaints at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerbooyaDined on 10/3/2014I had been once before,on business and had a great time. Took my wife for our anniversary and had one of the best meals ever. Great food, great drinks. Highly recommend it. Would also highly recommend making a reservation in advance if you want to get a table in a time slot that's not too early or late.Special Features:
- Cochon butchery's food is delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014We found parking in front of Cochon Butchery. The smell of the food from stepping out of the car prompt us to step in and ask about their menu. The cashier was very friendly & knowledgeable about their food selection. The food is fresh and served hot. We ordered a few different sandwiches and side items for lunch. All breads and meat cuts served for each sandwich had different texture and taste. Their pickled onions compliment their sandwiches well. I recommend the duck postrami sliders. Their mac and cheese was on point, reminds me of one of Alton Brown's recipes. Apart from the food, the tables and chairs are high chairs bar style, which isn't ideal for smaller younger kids. Next time I'll try Cochon dining itself and see how it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunchtime treatLilyflowerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went to Cochon for the first time, although I've been to New Orleans before. Lunch was delicious, especially the gumbo.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirthdaygirlDined on 9/22/2014We had heard so much about Cochon including from family who lives in New Orleans. The fried alligator and pork cheek appetizers were very good. We were disappointed with the Louisana cochon. The soft shelled crab special was better but just okay. The dessert menu was average-nothing special. The Mime on a Bike was good. Spicy lovers need to try Hey, Jack. I would go back just for the appetizers/small plates but not the entrees. Maybe it was an off night-we were there on an early Monday evening.
- Great food but long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Cochon is a happening place situated in the middle of nowhere but fortunately it is a short drive from the city center. Food is excellent but the service is slow but friendly due to overwhelming crowds that pile in during dinner time. For a group larger than 2 a reservation is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ate Like KingsGaBrooklyniteDined on 9/1/2014Boudin balls, mushroom salad, rabbit and dumplings, Louisiana cochon. Everything was so delicious and my boyfriend and I were beyond full. I must say, the mushroom salad blew me away with it's marinated beef jerky. And we still got dessert! Peach cobbler is phenom.Special Features:
- Yummy Yummy!EABFoodieDined on 8/30/2014I am glad I was able to get in at Cochon. The food is amazing. My sister and I had the mac & cheese, pork ribs, lima beans and the cucumber salad. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum...you know you're in the south when there are lima beans on the menu! Great atmosphere, great service - I will definitely try and make it back here to try other items on the menu!Special Features:
- Great food let down by the servicePorkloverDined on 8/29/2014We had read great things about this place and were really looking forward to it. Food choice was fine, and although it wasn't pork out of this world, it was lovely for a lunch. Great flavours, tender tasty meat and lovely sides. Service was sadly not up to standard. Bread arrived after the entree, waiter rarely came over to ask how we were doing so had to walk up and ask for bread. Waiter looked like he didn't care.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 8/28/2014Went here for lunch. I had the wood-fired oyster roast, fried livers with pepper jelly and toast, and the smoked pork ribs with watermelon pickle. Everything was delicious. The place is nice and bright, Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- I'll be back!ExecutiveDinerDined on 8/14/2014Great Oysters to start...and I don't normally eat oysters. Entree - Who knew pulled pork could have such flavor? Also Nice decor. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!AKmathteacher1Dined on 8/9/2014Cochon is a great place to eat. The rabbit and dumplings were awesome, and my husband's cochon dish was incredible too. We had the boudin and fried alligator for appetizers, and those were incredible too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodCMoneyVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was incredible. Cannot miss while in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchkikuyuDined on 7/26/2014Had the amazing oysters and boudin balls, and the gumbo was great too. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Delicious foodVouvouDined on 7/25/2014We were hungry one day and went on open table to find a great Resturant We were lucky to get a reservation, because open table claimed they were full. They weren't in reality. We along with three or four other group were completely alone. Then again it was three in the afternoon. I recommend the Louisiana Cochon for a main meal. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was AMAZING!!FoodiesForLifeDined on 7/19/2014I was excited for my wife and I to try Cochon together for the first time. The restaurant is quaint, but casual with the smell of oak wood smoke in the air. A/C was broken... YIKES! Anyhow we, toughed it out and shortly after the A/C began to work. The Mime on the Bike cocktail which was very refreshing and balanced. Had some great priced bourbons, as well. For starters, we tried the crawfish and green tomato casserole... Both very good! The bread, was so decadent and flaky! For our entrees, we both ordered the Cochon dish. Braised pork shoulder with spices and on a bed of cabbage with homemade cracklins on top... Are you kidding me!!?? Simply awesome!! We also had the Lima beans and the Mac & Cheese sides.. both good. A must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susiVIPDined on 7/12/2014Very good food just a bit too much salt for us. Peanut butter pie wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!LuvNOLAfoodDined on 7/11/2014Cochon's food and energetic atmosphere are always a delight. We ordered several appetizers to share and were thrilled with the results. I had the pork cheek appetizer for the first time and can't believe the flavors Chef brought to this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeartreesDined on 7/10/2014While the meal was innovative and delicious, the service could have been a little more accommodating A request was not even communicated to the chef it was turned down by the server. I expected a little more than "we can't do that". Other than that Cochon is at the top of my listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mdxjpkh16Dined on 7/3/2014Great food.great service. Great overall experience. Would like to try a dinner service. Waiters on top of there job and seating goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotACharlDined on 6/28/2014Food was amazing. We had a few servers and the level of service was inconsistent. One was great and the other was aloof. Casual vibe inside. Great place for lunch. Butcher next door is also amazing for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Fantastic main courses. The signature dish Couchon was fantastic. Appetizers were flavorful.Special Features:
- Lives up to the hype!GFoodieSVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great food, great service! Liver appetizer was amazing and the Cochon with turnips was the best pork dish I have ever tasted!!!Special Features:
- The following 890 reviews are from the Cochon reviews archive.
- good foodfishccyVIPDined on 6/16/2014the fried alligator was very good. the rabbit & dumpling dish was not so much - it was more like chick pot pie replaced with rabbit waitstaff was friendly, but service was slowSpecial Features:
- Good appetizersHankeyVIPDined on 6/14/2014We had the fried alligator and pork cheek for appetizers. Both were tasty and cooked right. However, the Louisiana cochon failed to live up to the hype. It was essentially a coagulated ball of pulled pork and although tender, it was extremely salty. We could not finish the plate. Service was decent and the restaurant has a nice semi open kitchen.Special Features:
- Luv2EatVIPDined on 6/13/2014Great BBQ Pork Ribs with a sneaky sauce that gets warm in the back of the throat. BBQ Short Ribs tasty, but a bit too charred for my liking.Special Features:
- Pricey but worth itKinsaleVIPDined on 6/7/2014Very innovative cuisine with unique flavor combinations. Try the rabbit and dumplings. It's clear pork is not the only specialty of the house. The decor was pleasantly minimalist but the room was noisy at dinner time. Certainly one of the top 10 restaurants in New Orleans. We'll be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!af26Dined on 6/7/2014The food was really great and modern whole still ver fresh. Qe has the chilli glazed shrimp and riba And where great. The cochon and the whole oven roasted fish were amazing. For dessert we had the chocolate peanut butter tart which was delicious and not overly sweet. Out waitress was so sweet and even have us recommendations for other restaurants to try during our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swine HeavenChefjoyDined on 6/3/2014I love pork and apparently so does the chef at Cochon. The pork cheeks were divinely tender. I highly recommend also a visit to the Cochon Butcher around the corner. The make the best blood sausage, hot dogs and deli meats.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014This restaurant was amazing! The rabbit and dumplings were so good that I to the sister restaurant Coch on Butcher and had a sausage hamburger. I was overly impressed!Special Features:
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/30/2014Cochon was recommended to us by a friend who said we absolutely had to go there. I'm not sure why. The appetizers were the best part of the meal -- the kohlrabi salad is unusual and delicious and the fried alligator was very good -- but for a place that is named "pig," the pork should be better. My husband had the ham hock and, although well-flavored, it was as dry as a bone. I had the signature dish, Cochon, which is basically pulled pork cakes. It was so salty I could barely finish it and, worse than that, salt seemed to be the only flavoring they used. It had fried pork rinds on top that tasted like the ones that come out of a bag. Service was mostly indifferent, like they're a little too hip to actually be happy you're there.
- TheFotiniListVIPDined on 5/29/2014Fabulous food served in a casual warehouse style setting. Try the oyster Beinville and the cochon. Absolutely fantastic.Special Features:
- Great Service, Great Food!GailDined on 5/26/2014This was my first time to Cochon and it was referred to by friends that used to live in New Orleans. i understand why they would refer this wonderful place. The atmosphere was delightful, the service was impeccable and the food was delicious. I tried the red fish that was prepared in such a way that it would be hard to duplicate at home. It makes you have to go back. My daughter had the beef brisket. Finished off with the banana bread pudding and call it a night. You have to make reservations in advance because it is so popular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go!JBBBVIPDined on 5/26/2014We had eaten at Cochon before but it was bad this time. They were out of ribs. The shrimp appetizer wasn't deveined and the heads were served on the plate fried seperately. The fried alligator was tough. The chicken was uninspired as were the bed of black eyed peas it was setting on. The ham hock was fine but everything served with it was not. Both desserts were bad. The service was disinterested. The rolls were good. I will definitely not return.
- Good for dinnerchicagovisitorDined on 5/24/2014Good choice for dinner, I would return. The ham hock was really great, we also liked the fried alligator. The gumbo was a thinner consistency than I am accustomed to, but flavorful. The pork ribs were dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ribsSupergirl15Dined on 5/24/2014We booked two weeks in advance and could only get a 4pm reservation so make sure you book early!! Amazing food, ribs and crawfish pie to start then ham hock and Louisiana Cochon. Both very very good. Service was fine and relatively quick. I found it too quick but every other restaurant tin NOLA was the same so I think it's the way here. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great place!noladinerDined on 5/22/2014The food was wonderful and the service even better. We highly recommend Cochon.Special Features: