930 Tchoupitoulas St.
New Orleans, LA 70130Neighborhood:
CajunPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cochonrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (504) 588-2123
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Southern, Cajun
- Executive Chef: Donald Link & Stephen Stryjewski
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Entertainment: From Cajun to Elvis to rockabilly, Cochon features a lively atmosphere and a diverse mix of southern-styled music.
A word from Cochon
Cochon captures the true essence of Cajun and Southern cooking. Chefs Donald Link and Stephen Stryjewski bring their love for southern Louisiana foods to every plate at Cochon. Donald's experience cooking with his family at their homes in Crowley and Rayne allow guests to share in his passion for real country and home cooking. The food is focused and simple, featuring roasted meats with natural sauces, homemade sausages, and fresh local seafood. The menu compliments the rustic, yet contemporary setting of the dining room. The Bar at Cochon features signature cocktails as well as the classic libations of New Orleans. A diverse beer selection with an emphasis on local micro-brews offers a cool contrast with the sometimes spicy cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Cochon reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (61)great for lunch (42)hot spot (38)neighborhood gem (31)good for groups (31)special occasion (13)great for brunch (7)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (5)notable wine list (4)romantic (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014The menu is small but every item we tried was delicious. My wife has several food allergies, and the servers and manager took great care -- including several visits from the manager -- to ensure that my wife's meal included nothing that could cause her trouble. I have never had better service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jcmeatloverVIPDined on 11/19/2014Pork Cheeks was so appetizing and delicious. Cochon was a must get!! Tender and very flavourful! Oyster & bacon sandwich was very good as well. Grits went well with everything! Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was AwesomeFatKidDined on 11/11/2014The food was on point the smoked ham and spetzel was awesome and the cocktails were greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJMarksDined on 11/6/2014Tasted amazing with tons of flavorful spices and Louisiana style!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+++++++++++RobertBVIPDined on 11/1/2014Classic New Orleans flavors but with a flare for the original. Excellent service. Excellent ingredients. We had a fantastic lunch and everyone around us was having a great time as well.Special Features:
- Amazing food!lakewolfeVIPDined on 10/31/2014Wow, amazingly fresh food. If you enjoy pork, this place is for you. Really one of the food highlights of our trip. Just far enough from bourbon street to be a nice mixture of locals and in the know tourists. Close to World War II museum, so great for lunch or dinner on either side of the museum visit.Special Features:
- luscious cajun food and charcuterieCheddarVIPDined on 10/31/2014Fantastic food, perfect for lunch but not really a setting that I would pursue for a special event or dinnerSpecial Features:
- kathVIPDined on 10/29/2014Great place! Oyster/Bacon/Tomato sandwich & Pork Cheeks were excellent.Special Features:
- Not impressedRamaDined on 10/28/2014I wasn't particularly impressed by the food. After going over the entire menu I ended up with Mac & cheese and collards. Overall the experience was ok. I most likely would not go back and would not recommend. Don't get me wrong the food is fine just not amazing.Special Features:
- Worth visiting while in NOLAAlanDined on 10/25/2014Service was warm, and food was enjoyable. The well equipped bar is a plus.Special Features:
- Amazing food - so so serviceclaudiadDined on 10/24/2014I love this place. I dream about the food and have gone to both the restaurant and the Butcher every time I visit New Orleans. This time, our table service was fitful (the bar service was great). We started with one waiter whom we could barely hear, he spoke so low. Halfway through we had a new waiter who never came back to ask is we needed anything else. We did - we needed more drinks, but could not flag either the new or the old waiter to place a drink order. We then had to ask for two additional cream refills for our coffee (one from a random waiter as we couldn't locate our waiter). Still love the food - but next time I'll try something new as if felt a bit like the staff's hearts just weren't in it anymore. Too bad.Special Features:
- Lived up to the HypeMarried2aChefVIPDined on 10/20/2014I cannot say enough great things about Cochon. We packed a lot of eating into a long weekend visit to NOLA, including going to some of the best fine dining places, and Cochon- by far- was our favorite. Cool, laid-back atmosphere, great service and amazing Southern comfort food. The wood-fired oysters, rabbit & dumplings and Louisiana Cochon were all ridiculously good. We will definitely return the next time we are in town!Special Features:
- Great Pig!earlydinerDined on 10/17/2014Cochon was a great find in NOLA! Service and food were outstanding. We dined on small plates and apps for an early dinner and couldn't have been happier with the quality and variety. Servers were very attentive and helpful - especially by being non-judgy as we "pigged out."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014We ate at Cochon at lunch. Wow! The ribs were awesome as a combo the the gumbo. My wife loved the Oyster and Bacon sandwich. Worth the hike from the French Quarter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Restaurant. Ever.r2d2Dined on 10/13/2014Every dish I tried here was not just excellent but outstanding. Great cocktails, casual vibe. Around the corner is Butcher which is great for lunch/take-out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014Definitely a delicious dinner. I recommend the meat pie for sure. Our waitress had excellent suggestions about what to order. My husband had a peanut butter pie for dessert which he loved. Also the rabbit stew was delicious. Excellent beer and wine selection. Service good. No complaints at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerbooyaDined on 10/3/2014I had been once before,on business and had a great time. Took my wife for our anniversary and had one of the best meals ever. Great food, great drinks. Highly recommend it. Would also highly recommend making a reservation in advance if you want to get a table in a time slot that's not too early or late.Special Features:
- Cochon butchery's food is delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014We found parking in front of Cochon Butchery. The smell of the food from stepping out of the car prompt us to step in and ask about their menu. The cashier was very friendly & knowledgeable about their food selection. The food is fresh and served hot. We ordered a few different sandwiches and side items for lunch. All breads and meat cuts served for each sandwich had different texture and taste. Their pickled onions compliment their sandwiches well. I recommend the duck postrami sliders. Their mac and cheese was on point, reminds me of one of Alton Brown's recipes. Apart from the food, the tables and chairs are high chairs bar style, which isn't ideal for smaller younger kids. Next time I'll try Cochon dining itself and see how it is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunchtime treatLilyflowerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Went to Cochon for the first time, although I've been to New Orleans before. Lunch was delicious, especially the gumbo.Special Features:
- DisappointedBirthdaygirlVIPDined on 9/22/2014We had heard so much about Cochon including from family who lives in New Orleans. The fried alligator and pork cheek appetizers were very good. We were disappointed with the Louisana cochon. The soft shelled crab special was better but just okay. The dessert menu was average-nothing special. The Mime on a Bike was good. Spicy lovers need to try Hey, Jack. I would go back just for the appetizers/small plates but not the entrees. Maybe it was an off night-we were there on an early Monday evening.
- Great food but long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014Cochon is a happening place situated in the middle of nowhere but fortunately it is a short drive from the city center. Food is excellent but the service is slow but friendly due to overwhelming crowds that pile in during dinner time. For a group larger than 2 a reservation is a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeJaySeeVIPDined on 9/5/2014Cochon is a good as the reviewers say! What a great meal. We wanted to try everything on the menu, but with just 2 stomach, we needed to make some choices...wood fire oysters... fried alligators....oyster/bacon sandwich.... oven-roasted gulf fish.... mac/cheese..... gumbo... can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Ate Like KingsGaBrooklyniteDined on 9/1/2014Boudin balls, mushroom salad, rabbit and dumplings, Louisiana cochon. Everything was so delicious and my boyfriend and I were beyond full. I must say, the mushroom salad blew me away with it's marinated beef jerky. And we still got dessert! Peach cobbler is phenom.Special Features:
- Yummy Yummy!EABFoodieDined on 8/30/2014I am glad I was able to get in at Cochon. The food is amazing. My sister and I had the mac & cheese, pork ribs, lima beans and the cucumber salad. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum...you know you're in the south when there are lima beans on the menu! Great atmosphere, great service - I will definitely try and make it back here to try other items on the menu!Special Features:
- Great food let down by the servicePorkloverDined on 8/29/2014We had read great things about this place and were really looking forward to it. Food choice was fine, and although it wasn't pork out of this world, it was lovely for a lunch. Great flavours, tender tasty meat and lovely sides. Service was sadly not up to standard. Bread arrived after the entree, waiter rarely came over to ask how we were doing so had to walk up and ask for bread. Waiter looked like he didn't care.Special Features:
- jsalVIPDined on 8/28/2014Went here for lunch. I had the wood-fired oyster roast, fried livers with pepper jelly and toast, and the smoked pork ribs with watermelon pickle. Everything was delicious. The place is nice and bright, Service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- I'll be back!ExecutiveDinerDined on 8/14/2014Great Oysters to start...and I don't normally eat oysters. Entree - Who knew pulled pork could have such flavor? Also Nice decor. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!AKmathteacher1Dined on 8/9/2014Cochon is a great place to eat. The rabbit and dumplings were awesome, and my husband's cochon dish was incredible too. We had the boudin and fried alligator for appetizers, and those were incredible too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding foodCMoneyVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food was incredible. Cannot miss while in NOLA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 901 reviews are from the Cochon reviews archive.
- Excellent lunchkikuyuDined on 7/26/2014Had the amazing oysters and boudin balls, and the gumbo was great too. Can't wait to come back!Special Features:
- Delicious foodVouvouDined on 7/25/2014We were hungry one day and went on open table to find a great Resturant We were lucky to get a reservation, because open table claimed they were full. They weren't in reality. We along with three or four other group were completely alone. Then again it was three in the afternoon. I recommend the Louisiana Cochon for a main meal. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was AMAZING!!FoodiesForLifeDined on 7/19/2014I was excited for my wife and I to try Cochon together for the first time. The restaurant is quaint, but casual with the smell of oak wood smoke in the air. A/C was broken... YIKES! Anyhow we, toughed it out and shortly after the A/C began to work. The Mime on the Bike cocktail which was very refreshing and balanced. Had some great priced bourbons, as well. For starters, we tried the crawfish and green tomato casserole... Both very good! The bread, was so decadent and flaky! For our entrees, we both ordered the Cochon dish. Braised pork shoulder with spices and on a bed of cabbage with homemade cracklins on top... Are you kidding me!!?? Simply awesome!! We also had the Lima beans and the Mac & Cheese sides.. both good. A must try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susiVIPDined on 7/12/2014Very good food just a bit too much salt for us. Peanut butter pie wonderfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never Disappoints!LuvNOLAfoodDined on 7/11/2014Cochon's food and energetic atmosphere are always a delight. We ordered several appetizers to share and were thrilled with the results. I had the pork cheek appetizer for the first time and can't believe the flavors Chef brought to this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeartreesDined on 7/10/2014While the meal was innovative and delicious, the service could have been a little more accommodating A request was not even communicated to the chef it was turned down by the server. I expected a little more than "we can't do that". Other than that Cochon is at the top of my listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mdxjpkh16Dined on 7/3/2014Great food.great service. Great overall experience. Would like to try a dinner service. Waiters on top of there job and seating goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotACharlVIPDined on 6/28/2014Food was amazing. We had a few servers and the level of service was inconsistent. One was great and the other was aloof. Casual vibe inside. Great place for lunch. Butcher next door is also amazing for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great entreesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Fantastic main courses. The signature dish Couchon was fantastic. Appetizers were flavorful.Special Features:
- Lives up to the hype!GFoodieSVIPDined on 6/26/2014Great food, great service! Liver appetizer was amazing and the Cochon with turnips was the best pork dish I have ever tasted!!!Special Features:
- good foodfishccyVIPDined on 6/16/2014the fried alligator was very good. the rabbit & dumpling dish was not so much - it was more like chick pot pie replaced with rabbit waitstaff was friendly, but service was slowSpecial Features: