354 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 312-888-9195x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5pm-10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Cocello
Welcome to Cocello, the newest addition to Hogsalt Hospitality. We feature a regional Italian and American-Italian menu, hand-made pasta, Italian wine, espresso, strong amaro based cocktails, and digestifs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocello reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (97)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (64)special occasion (52)hot spot (47)notable wine list (30)good for groups (27)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- slots of good choiceWilmetteBoxerDined on 10/19/2014The menu resembles that of Dilman's, which used to be here--a nice mix of small plates and larger ones. Among the excellent dishes we tried was the spare rib, suave and satisfying, and the scallops served with a dash of creamed corn. Not as good: orecchiette w/ sausage, too hot. The bread has too much fennel but a sensational crust. Deserts were good across the board, especially the olive oil cake. They stress communal dining but we were happy w/ small plates and salads to start, bigger plates--a more traditional approach. Service was excellent. We'll go back.Special Features:
- perfect evening!JRSDRSVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had a gorgeous evening. The restaurant is like sitting in a cozy bar with beautiful ambient lighting and well spaced tables. You forget how wonderful it is to have your own space! The service by Alexander was amazing. We truly enjoyed spending our evening with him and his recommendations were perfect. We were disappointed they were out of the famed raviolo but everything else was perfect. The wine was well priced and food size was fun to share several dishes. Thank you for a wonderful date night in Chicago!Special Features:
- CocelloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Excellent food and service. Great Italian. ravioli was the best dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodIBUDDLEDined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious and the lemon panna cotta was out of this world. Prices where very affordable and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic housemade pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/9/2014Two things made this dinner very special. First, service was fantastic from the moment we walked through the door. A friendly welcome, immediate seating, a great waiter and well-paced service. The food was also excellent. Particularly impressive was the egg yolk raviolo. This is always one of my favorite pasta dishes, but I will say that I can't recall it ever being prepared better than at Cocello - stunning and delicious. While the raviolo was the highlight, also excellent were the roast chicken, linguine & clams and complementary sourdough-fennel bread. Overall, a fantastic meal and a restaurant I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- egkjcmDined on 10/9/2014We had a fabulous meal here. I would go back again and again. Thanks for a really great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/9/2014I had been looking forward to this girls' dinner for quite a few weeks and was a bit underwhelmed. Our server barely came to our table. She never checked in with how the food was and we found ourselves looking for her when we were ready for dessert and the check. We had the burrata appetizer which was good. I had the raviolo as my entree. It was one palm sized ravioli (a little small for an entree portion) and the pasta was a bit undercooked. My girlfriend had penne a la vodka which was nothing special. We shared a bottle of the house red wine. And had the olive oil cake for dessert which was delicious. I was expecting much more from this dinner. Not sure I'd return.
- MarkDined on 10/8/2014Incredible little spot, tucked on the west outskirts of River North. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocellohd2102Dined on 10/7/2014Dim, intimate, small but powerfully flavorful plates. The olive-oil cake was outstanding.Special Features:
- Best Italian in the cityBruceEDVIPDined on 10/7/2014Best pasta in the city! Superb pasta sauces, the house made bread with the fennel is incredible! The polenta appetizer with the poached egg and truffles is not to be believed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Chicd8nvnDined on 10/4/2014Atmosphere is comfortable and sophisticated. Lots of room between tables allows you to stretch out without worry of encroaching on others. Much of the food is small plates meant to be shared. Home made pasta dishes are to die for. The ability to share conversation, great food in an inviting atmosphere makes Cocello just about perfect. As they have been open only six months,you might need to be a little patient with the servers as they fine tune work assignments. Overall we were impressed and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JavakingDined on 10/4/2014Their cappuccino was the best I've had and the pasta was fresh and very goodSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous meal, gorgeous tableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014This is an outrageously beautiful restaurant. We shared a handful of things, all decadent (note: small plates, meant to be shared, and the ones we chose were rich). Server was fine, but the wait assistant was outstanding - notably so. A very romantic spot, also saw several groups of girls having a stylish night out.Special Features:
- Worth a second tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014Great atmosphere, very cozy and warm. Service was a little slow, waited for about 10 minutes before a server acknowledged us. The meal itself was decent but not exceptional. The pasta was a little too al dente, could have used more flavor and the portion sizes were very small. The atmosphere was wonderful and I would give it a try again but I wasn't wowed.Special Features:
- Dinner at CocelloChgo81VIPDined on 9/27/2014The host staff called the incorrect party with same last name, so our reservation was 45 minutes behind. They asked us to cash out at the bar before we were to be seated. I asked the bartender if we could cash out so we could go to our table. I noticed she went on to the next customer. I checked back in to see if we could cash out. She was extremely rude and said she was with someone else and that I needed to wait. I was stunned at how rude she was, especially given she was "helping" me before the other customers. Based on her attitude and the mixed up reservation, we will not be going back. I'd also not recommend this restaurant. Our waiter, John, was fantastic. He was a breath of fresh air after the terrible service we had thus far.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemBMACTVIPDined on 9/27/2014Being Italian, I am very picky with my Italian food. This place exceeded my expectations. Delicious food all around. I had to try the homemade pasta which was amazing and cooked to perfection. The place is gorgeous inside and the small outdoor area is quaint and quiet. We had great service and they have a notable Italian wine list. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- appetizers were greatappetizersDined on 9/23/2014The appetizers were very good. The main courses we had needed seasoning but over all OK. Very cool feel and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best handmade pasta in chicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014We were excited to finally try this restaurant and were blown away by the outstanding pasta dishes - the egg yolk ravioli is amazing! All of the other dishes we tried were great, including one delicious piece of olive oil cake. Love the cozy decor and attention to detail. Service was well timed. Eager to go back and try more of the menu, especially in the approaching colder weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy yummy yum yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!kcatlovesyumfoodDined on 9/19/2014everything about our experience here was amazing!!!! food was exquisite!!! service was impeccable and a lovely night to enjoy out door dining (thought inside was very romantic!). and the olive oil cake with orange and fresh mascarpone? that could've been the last meal ever, and I would've been happy. highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but.....MikeFVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food and service were great, and worth going back for, however, the music was way too loud and betrayed the elegance of the food. We found ourselves talking too loud just to be heard across the table, and over the music. Not a place you'd want to have an intimate business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceKhillVIPDined on 9/13/2014We arrived on time for our 8:15 reservation and were seated pretty quickly. The problem started when we did not see our server for over 20 minutes! We had to go to the bar to order our drinks. The manager brought the drinks over to us and picked up the tab for the drinks and let us know the service would be better. The server apologized for not coming to our table for over 30 min.. This is all well and nice, too bad the service never got better. On the other hand we loved the food!! We stared with Jerusalem artichoke and ouctopus wich were both great. We loved what we ate and hope that the service was just a one time problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014As fans of Maude's, Bavette's, and Gilt Bar we picked Cocello for our anniversary dinner and couldn't be happier with the decision. The service was superb (thanks Ryan) and the food was delicious. The Artichoke, Octopus, and Pork Belly receive special mention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FabulousmissditkaDined on 9/13/2014I got taken to Cocello for a work event on a Wednesday, and immediately made a reservation for myself and my fiancé for that Saturday night. I love the overall aesthetic of this place and everything I've had here is amazing. From the Little Gem Hearts Salad, to the bay scallops, to the Egg Yolk Raviolo, to the Tagliatelle, to the gelato, everything was spectacular. Their wine selection is excellent and not over the top pricey and their cocktails are also excellent. All around great date spot. And for a 5/6-course meal it's not overly expensive, totally do able on a standard Saturday night. I love it so much, I'm taking my future mother-in-law there on Friday night (3 times in 2 weeks for me speaks volumes).Special Features:
- CocelloGreenmommyMDDined on 9/12/2014Very happy they have some vegan options on the menu and were accommodating to my requests. Wish they had a vegan entree like a pasta dish as well. Beautiful restaurant. Though a bit too dark. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIrishlassieDined on 9/12/2014Amazing food and wine list. Stellar service. Unique presentation of the best Italian food. Great place to share plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed the dinner. The food was excellent, great choices but not particularly innovative. The waiter was always there when he needed to be, food came on time. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014In a town that sometimes seems to be awash in good Italian choices, Cocello really stands out. Octopus, pasta, salmon, all among the best we've had. Service was flawless.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and Service!AMAZINGDined on 9/5/2014Not only was everything we ordered unbelievably good, but our waiter was amazing! He gave us food and drink suggestions and allowed us to try any kind of drink we wanted. He let me send back a drink I wasn't crazy about because it was not a taste I preferred and brought me another amazing drink! We had the grilled octopus. Most amazing flavor and texture ever. Prices not bad at all either. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- so good, why was it empty?BigRedDined on 9/2/2014I went here on a Tuesday for my anniversary. What caught my attention is that they hand-make all their pasta daily. We made a reservation, but when we arrived the dining room was empty save for one couple finishing dinner. This is often a bad sign. However, everything we experienced, from the food to the wait staff (great),was top notch. The fresh bread was served warm and delicious. All of the food we had was thoughtfully prepared, and came out quickly. We had the fried artichokes, cacio e pepe, beef cheeks, and fried polenta. All were quite good. The atmosphere and design of the place is very neat, with dark wood walls and plush booths. I just can't understand why it was near empty! I hope more people visit this place. It really was good.Special Features:
- SuzfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Agree with previous reviewers that restaurant was a bit dark and music was a little loud, but neither would keep me from going back. The artichoke appetizer was a bit salty but the eggplant was absolutely delicious. The pastas are definitely al dente but that is how fresh pasta should be. Meatballs were excellent. Tried 4 different pastas and all were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Upon walking in, I was struck by how nice it looked on the inside! I really looked forward to trying their food! However, I was very disappointed. We ordered the Lobster Risotto and the mussels with their homemade pasta, both of which were under cooked. I would recommend the polenta appetizer, this was very good. They also have 1/2 bottle of wine on Wednesday's which we took advantage of-which was nice! Service was very attentive and overall good. Unfortunately, I would most likely not return, there are so many other choices to make in Chicago with better food.Special Features:
- What a find!MadamAVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved Cocello! Cozy and warm - like Brendan Sodikoff's other great places, but with lighter food. Great pastas, starters and salads. I could have the Little Gems salad every day of the week! And our friends indulged in the panna cotta and affogatto with great delight. Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasure!NorthfieldVicVIPDined on 8/25/2014Went early with 3 gal pals. We all enjoyed our dinners and were well taken care of by a very nice waiter. Great find!Special Features:
- delicious, but too dark!go4lesVIPDined on 8/23/2014when we arrived, the room was lit dimly, which made for a nice vibe. we ordered, and when the burrata arrived with a lovely array of tomatoes, and the shaved vegetable salad was placed next to it, we marveled at the wonderful selection of colors on the two plates. but not for long - in less than a minute, someone dimmed the lights even further, and those gorgeous colors disappeared and became murky grays and browns. all for a little mood lighting, but this was over the top - and we noticed that nearly every other table was using an iPhone light to read the menu. "we eat first with our eyes," as the saying goes - don't be afraid to let us see your wonderful plating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening OutFoodEnvyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had a fantastic first experience at Cocello. Our waiter was superb, the food was exceptional and I would say we were given the best seat in the house. We brought a bottle of wine we had been holding onto to celebrate a new job and instead of being charged a corkage fee we were asked to share a glass with another diner. What a great concept. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Some rough edgesNoliciaDined on 8/22/2014I gather that Cocello had been open a few months when we dined there. Cocktails: interesting and excellent. Our server was enthusiastic, but seemed to have too many tables, and thus, was slow on the uptake on bringing drinks. Main course came too quickly after appetizers. There were other signs that the place needs to simmer down and get organized. Salads, particularly heirloom tomatoes and burrata were very good. Main courses: tagliatelle undercooked (way beyond al dente) and same could be said for the lobster risotto. Flavors were good but could not make up for those cooking errors. The music was also too loud for our table, but after several requests, the server did get it turned down for us. This place needs a bit more seasoning.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindJanetVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great place. We had the roman style artichokes (fried, but flavors that burst on your palate), roasted chicken (amazing-moist, flavorful - beats out the best chicken I've had - Zuni's in San Fran), and linguine with clams. The pasta was still good, but a so-so dish. Broccoli was fabulous - so flavorful! Great wines, affordable and not seen on many lists. Our server made wonderful recommendations and was attentive and knowledgeable. Love that they ask if you WANT bread. And theirs is really great. Would like the tablecloths returned. Changed the atmosphere and not necessarily for the better. But we will be back for the food - probably at the bar as we're not sold on the atmosphere at the tables.Special Features:
- My new favoritechrisbDined on 8/22/2014Finally a great restaurant opens here where so many others just didn't make it. Owned by same group as Guilt Bar and Babette's, etc. The menu is perfect offering just the right amount of selections and the food is delicious with incredible favors. The plates are perfect size for sharing, which I love to do. Great wine. Staff very attentive and didn't mind we sat outside from 6:30 to midnight. Will return as often as I can as I live next door!! I dined here once prior, sat at the bar, and enjoyed everything just as much. Met Chef Cameron for this restaurant group and it was exciting to hear his approach to foods, favors, and pairings. Plus you could see how much respect the employees have for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molexa1Dined on 8/21/2014Too dark - decreased lighting at about 7:30.. One little candle on the table; hard to read menue Too noisy. We were near a speaker and I asked if the volume could be turned down. Didn't happend Pasta tasted very good, but was so al dente Too Too. Not even in Italy did I taste pasta this hard. Not going back
- Comfortable Dining, Delicious FoodChiTownGirlyDined on 8/19/2014Great atmosphere for dinner with friends. You can actually hear the people at your table talking! Very relaxed with attentive service and an edited menu. Handmade pasta is great. Will definitely be returning!Special Features: