354 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 312-888-9195x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Monday: 5pm - 10:30pm
Tuesday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:30pm
Friday - Saturday: 5pm-12:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Cocello
Welcome to Cocello, the newest addition to Hogsalt Hospitality. We feature a Northern Italian menu, hand-made pasta, Italian wine, espresso, strong amaro based cocktails, and digestifs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocello reviews from OpenTable diners
160 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (96)romantic (77)neighborhood gem (63)hot spot (48)special occasion (47)great for outdoor dining (33)notable wine list (29)good for groups (29)late-night find (14)vibrant bar scene (12)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- yummy yummy yum yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/19/2014everything about our experience here was amazing!!!! food was exquisite!!! service was impeccable and a lovely night to enjoy out door dining (thought inside was very romantic!). and the olive oil cake with orange and fresh mascarpone? that could've been the last meal ever, and I would've been happy. highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, but.....MikeFVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food and service were great, and worth going back for, however, the music was way too loud and betrayed the elegance of the food. We found ourselves talking too loud just to be heard across the table, and over the music. Not a place you'd want to have an intimate business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, bad serviceKhillVIPDined on 9/13/2014We arrived on time for our 8:15 reservation and were seated pretty quickly. The problem started when we did not see our server for over 20 minutes! We had to go to the bar to order our drinks. The manager brought the drinks over to us and picked up the tab for the drinks and let us know the service would be better. The server apologized for not coming to our table for over 30 min.. This is all well and nice, too bad the service never got better. On the other hand we loved the food!! We stared with Jerusalem artichoke and ouctopus wich were both great. We loved what we ate and hope that the service was just a one time problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014As fans of Maude's, Bavette's, and Gilt Bar we picked Cocello for our anniversary dinner and couldn't be happier with the decision. The service was superb (thanks Ryan) and the food was delicious. The Artichoke, Octopus, and Pork Belly receive special mention.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely FabulousmissditkaDined on 9/13/2014I got taken to Cocello for a work event on a Wednesday, and immediately made a reservation for myself and my fiancé for that Saturday night. I love the overall aesthetic of this place and everything I've had here is amazing. From the Little Gem Hearts Salad, to the bay scallops, to the Egg Yolk Raviolo, to the Tagliatelle, to the gelato, everything was spectacular. Their wine selection is excellent and not over the top pricey and their cocktails are also excellent. All around great date spot. And for a 5/6-course meal it's not overly expensive, totally do able on a standard Saturday night. I love it so much, I'm taking my future mother-in-law there on Friday night (3 times in 2 weeks for me speaks volumes).Special Features:
- CocelloGreenmommyMDDined on 9/12/2014Very happy they have some vegan options on the menu and were accommodating to my requests. Wish they had a vegan entree like a pasta dish as well. Beautiful restaurant. Though a bit too dark. Would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeIrishlassieDined on 9/12/2014Amazing food and wine list. Stellar service. Unique presentation of the best Italian food. Great place to share plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014We really enjoyed the dinner. The food was excellent, great choices but not particularly innovative. The waiter was always there when he needed to be, food came on time. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014In a town that sometimes seems to be awash in good Italian choices, Cocello really stands out. Octopus, pasta, salmon, all among the best we've had. Service was flawless.Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and Service!AMAZINGDined on 9/5/2014Not only was everything we ordered unbelievably good, but our waiter was amazing! He gave us food and drink suggestions and allowed us to try any kind of drink we wanted. He let me send back a drink I wasn't crazy about because it was not a taste I preferred and brought me another amazing drink! We had the grilled octopus. Most amazing flavor and texture ever. Prices not bad at all either. I will definitely be going back!Special Features:
- so good, why was it empty?BigRedDined on 9/2/2014I went here on a Tuesday for my anniversary. What caught my attention is that they hand-make all their pasta daily. We made a reservation, but when we arrived the dining room was empty save for one couple finishing dinner. This is often a bad sign. However, everything we experienced, from the food to the wait staff (great),was top notch. The fresh bread was served warm and delicious. All of the food we had was thoughtfully prepared, and came out quickly. We had the fried artichokes, cacio e pepe, beef cheeks, and fried polenta. All were quite good. The atmosphere and design of the place is very neat, with dark wood walls and plush booths. I just can't understand why it was near empty! I hope more people visit this place. It really was good.Special Features:
- SuzfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014Agree with previous reviewers that restaurant was a bit dark and music was a little loud, but neither would keep me from going back. The artichoke appetizer was a bit salty but the eggplant was absolutely delicious. The pastas are definitely al dente but that is how fresh pasta should be. Meatballs were excellent. Tried 4 different pastas and all were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was Disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Upon walking in, I was struck by how nice it looked on the inside! I really looked forward to trying their food! However, I was very disappointed. We ordered the Lobster Risotto and the mussels with their homemade pasta, both of which were under cooked. I would recommend the polenta appetizer, this was very good. They also have 1/2 bottle of wine on Wednesday's which we took advantage of-which was nice! Service was very attentive and overall good. Unfortunately, I would most likely not return, there are so many other choices to make in Chicago with better food.Special Features:
- What a find!MadamAVIPDined on 8/26/2014Loved Cocello! Cozy and warm - like Brendan Sodikoff's other great places, but with lighter food. Great pastas, starters and salads. I could have the Little Gems salad every day of the week! And our friends indulged in the panna cotta and affogatto with great delight. Don't miss this one!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treasure!NorthfieldVicVIPDined on 8/25/2014Went early with 3 gal pals. We all enjoyed our dinners and were well taken care of by a very nice waiter. Great find!Special Features:
- delicious, but too dark!go4lesVIPDined on 8/23/2014when we arrived, the room was lit dimly, which made for a nice vibe. we ordered, and when the burrata arrived with a lovely array of tomatoes, and the shaved vegetable salad was placed next to it, we marveled at the wonderful selection of colors on the two plates. but not for long - in less than a minute, someone dimmed the lights even further, and those gorgeous colors disappeared and became murky grays and browns. all for a little mood lighting, but this was over the top - and we noticed that nearly every other table was using an iPhone light to read the menu. "we eat first with our eyes," as the saying goes - don't be afraid to let us see your wonderful plating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Evening OutFoodEnvyDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had a fantastic first experience at Cocello. Our waiter was superb, the food was exceptional and I would say we were given the best seat in the house. We brought a bottle of wine we had been holding onto to celebrate a new job and instead of being charged a corkage fee we were asked to share a glass with another diner. What a great concept. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Some rough edgesNoliciaDined on 8/22/2014I gather that Cocello had been open a few months when we dined there. Cocktails: interesting and excellent. Our server was enthusiastic, but seemed to have too many tables, and thus, was slow on the uptake on bringing drinks. Main course came too quickly after appetizers. There were other signs that the place needs to simmer down and get organized. Salads, particularly heirloom tomatoes and burrata were very good. Main courses: tagliatelle undercooked (way beyond al dente) and same could be said for the lobster risotto. Flavors were good but could not make up for those cooking errors. The music was also too loud for our table, but after several requests, the server did get it turned down for us. This place needs a bit more seasoning.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FindJanetVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great place. We had the roman style artichokes (fried, but flavors that burst on your palate), roasted chicken (amazing-moist, flavorful - beats out the best chicken I've had - Zuni's in San Fran), and linguine with clams. The pasta was still good, but a so-so dish. Broccoli was fabulous - so flavorful! Great wines, affordable and not seen on many lists. Our server made wonderful recommendations and was attentive and knowledgeable. Love that they ask if you WANT bread. And theirs is really great. Would like the tablecloths returned. Changed the atmosphere and not necessarily for the better. But we will be back for the food - probably at the bar as we're not sold on the atmosphere at the tables.Special Features:
- My new favoritechrisbDined on 8/22/2014Finally a great restaurant opens here where so many others just didn't make it. Owned by same group as Guilt Bar and Babette's, etc. The menu is perfect offering just the right amount of selections and the food is delicious with incredible favors. The plates are perfect size for sharing, which I love to do. Great wine. Staff very attentive and didn't mind we sat outside from 6:30 to midnight. Will return as often as I can as I live next door!! I dined here once prior, sat at the bar, and enjoyed everything just as much. Met Chef Cameron for this restaurant group and it was exciting to hear his approach to foods, favors, and pairings. Plus you could see how much respect the employees have for him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Molexa1Dined on 8/21/2014Too dark - decreased lighting at about 7:30.. One little candle on the table; hard to read menue Too noisy. We were near a speaker and I asked if the volume could be turned down. Didn't happend Pasta tasted very good, but was so al dente Too Too. Not even in Italy did I taste pasta this hard. Not going back
- Comfortable Dining, Delicious FoodChiTownGirlyDined on 8/19/2014Great atmosphere for dinner with friends. You can actually hear the people at your table talking! Very relaxed with attentive service and an edited menu. Handmade pasta is great. Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceJbon215Dined on 8/16/2014I've always been a fan of the HogSalt group, and Cocello was no exception in the groups ongoing list of restaurants. The Italian fair was well thought out, the drinks were large, and the portions were manageable. When I was called to confirm the reservation a few days prior to the meal, I was asked if this was a "special occasion" which it was, and, our party of four was comped both a round of Prosecco (when seated), as well as a pasta dish. The wait staff was friendly, honest, and attentive. I would go back in a heartbeat and highly recommend this place for anyone who doesn't have children.Special Features:
- Cocello a pleasant findgarrisonwoodsDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed the food and ambience. Service was pleasant, and well paced. The room is visually appealing, and comfortable.Special Features:
- Dinner in a pretty settingsandiVIPDined on 8/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner here very much. Had both the octopus starter (Arrosto di polpo) as well as the chili Roman-style artichoke were fabulous. My fish of the day was salmon and it was the best salmon I've had in a very long time. The other 3 ordered pasta dishes, and they loved them. Pasts dishes are quite large, so can definitely be a main.Special Features:
- The food was really good...SarahDined on 8/9/2014Came Saturday for late dinner with friends. Our party was -1 vs. reserved and the restaurant was nice about the change (although there were tons of empty tables, so no reason for them not to be nice). The cocktails - esp the 'light' ones - were really tasty. The food was also good, and portions were generous. The polenta appetizer was amazing! We tried 4 pasta dishes and all were great. One friend has a parmesan allergy... Beware: seemed like virtually every dish is covered in cheese! More so than other Italian restaurants. Only real downer was the service. Generally slow, and the waiter was pretty rude when we ordered fewer dishes than suggested (and we still had leftovers!). I'd try again, but hopefully with a different waiter.Special Features:
- BethVIPDined on 8/8/2014Service was great; food a little disappointing, especially the wild mushroom pasta, which was very dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice placeYaknireVIPDined on 8/7/2014The place was very nice, the food was great, the service was on point too. I just wish it felt a little different then the rest of his places.Special Features:
- Just keeps getting betterMadamAVIPDined on 8/6/2014Wonderful setting for satisfying food for all appetites. We enjoyed the many choices, portion sizes, good wine list, attentive but not hovering service. The Little Gems salad is terrific, as are the pastas and lighter entrees.with a dieter and a vegetarian I hour group, all were satisfied as were the traditions I eaters! Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious foodHamBergensteinDined on 8/5/2014I made a reservation for two and added a note that I would prefer to have an outdoor seat. As soon as we got there we were greeted very kindly and led right to our seats. We were given a very good amount of time to look over the menu and our waiter made excellent suggestions. He actually was a great part of my experience there. Very cool and collected as well as very knowledgeable. The only reservation I have about the experience was the small portion of what we ordered, especially for the price. It was absolutely delicious, but just a bit small. The bread was tasty, soft and warm - always a plus!! Oh, and the nice design on my flavorful latte was the cherry on top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceGreatFoodandServiceDined on 8/2/2014Service was outstanding! Our waiter John was very personable and took great care of our group. All of our food had great flavor. Everything we ordered came in a timely manner. I highly recommend Cocello.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood ResidentthornlawVIPDined on 7/29/2014This is the third restaurant at this location and I have eaten here three times (twice outside and once inside) This place has a chance...but...service must improve, attitude must improve, food must get better (sometimes it came warm at best, overcooked pasta another, too long between portions), the wine list should be expanded for a few more reasonably priced bottles. The outside dining is the best for conversation, but they need to tone done the "vibrancy" a bit inside so that you can have a reasonable conversation.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!LaurenVIPDined on 7/26/2014I went to Cocello this past weekend with my boyfriend, having never been before. The ambiance was impressive and noticed how nice the decor was (very similar to Maude's, Bavette's). We were seated just past the bar in the small room with the fireplace. We were immediately greeted by John, by far a stellar server. He was very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, passionate about the menu and friendly. His service was outstanding. The food was just as good - we ordered quite a few items but those that stood out the most were the polenta frittata, pork belly and the egg yolk ravioli. The one thing we did discuss was the wine list was a little pricey. Would have been nice to see some lower priced bottles but the House Red was delish! We will be back!Special Features:
- Did he really call us "Girls"...LavineDined on 7/25/2014The food was great but the service was atrocious. To be fair, I can only blame our Server for this since everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be well attended to. It doesn't help that he kept referring to our group as "girls".. Seriously, we are all adults here. I would go back but would run for dear life if I got the same Server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was fantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The previous reviews and recommendations were very accurateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food, Ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/18/2014The food was absolutely wonderful, with the gnocchi and octopus being my favorite dishes I tried. Also, the drinks were very well balanced. However, the service was very slow despite the restaurant being quiet on a Friday, and did not meet my expectations for a HOGSALT restaurant.Special Features:
- Decadent small plates for foodiesDlicious1Dined on 7/12/2014While I've been here once before, I still did some research as to what to order, as I made the reservation for 4 ppl. The last time I was here, my friend ordered the kale & sausage pasta while I ordered yellowtail crudo. I was infatuated with her dish and disappointed by the portion size of mine so I mentioned it to the server this time around and she said they increased the portion size and they did. It was delicious!!! According to the review that I read, it was wise to stick with the homemade pasta dishes, as they are outstanding, so that's what we did. We ordered multiples of the kale & sausage pasta, the ravioli, the clams linguine, yellowtail crudo, & ????...but don't forget to order the olive oil cake & an affegato!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/11/2014The decor is actually nicely done. The menu is well rounded and the polenta and spring vegetables are truly excellent. Would like to see a rich chocolate dessert added to the menu. We made a reservation for next week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedTrixieVIPDined on 7/9/2014What a great meal! We read some of the reviews and it was hit or miss. We thought it was a huge hit! Don't miss the roasted octopus (spicy!!!) and the roasted cauliflower!!!! Delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNotEasyToPleaseDined on 7/9/2014From the welcome, to the staff, to the right amount of attention bestowed upon our group, to the depth of menu knowledge, and refreshing honesty about the selections of wine starters entrees sides and desserts, all I can say is ask for Megan. Oh the food? Flavores that mingle and delight. One dish better than the next. And priced right. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.