354 West Hubbard Street
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
Contemporary ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cocello.com/
- Phone: (312) 888-9195
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Wednesday: 5pm-10:30pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5pm-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Wine
A word from Cocello
Welcome to Cocello, the newest addition to Hogsalt Hospitality. We feature a regional Italian and American-Italian menu, hand-made pasta, Italian wine, espresso, strong amaro based cocktails, and digestifs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cocello reviews from OpenTable diners
168 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (105)romantic (90)neighborhood gem (79)special occasion (58)hot spot (47)notable wine list (40)good for groups (35)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (12)vibrant bar scene (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Oh my...table42VIPDined on 11/21/2014On our second visit to Cocella last Friday evening we were once again impressed with this cozy little River North spot. The food here is outstanding, yes outstanding. We started with the simply dressed greens; fresh greens with a light lemony dressing, perfect for splitting. Then we tried the Scampi a la Scampi as a second course which we also split. This dish was comprised of 3 huge langoustines, split in the shell and perfectly cooked, topped with a gorgeous scampi sauce that was perfectly balanced. Too often scampi can be overwhelmed with garlic... not this version. The garlic was plentiful but cooked in a way to mellow out the sharpness that raw garlic can have. For our last course we each had a pasta dish. I had the Egg Yolk Raviolo and my husband had the Pasta all'Amatriciana. The Raviolo was absolutely stunning to look at and to eat! Decadent, rich, and oh so comforting! Breaking into the pasta the beautiful yolk flows onto the plate enriching the brown butter sauce. Really... you will dream about this dish long after you taste it! The Pasta all'Amatriciana is complex and rich, full of roasted tomatoes and guanciale. We had no room for dessert but next time we will be sure to try some. Finally, the wine list... a wonderful selection of Italian wines that have been thoughtfully selected. On this visit we tried an orange wine (yes orange - look it up - made in Sicily) very rarely will you find these on a wine list. The wine paired perfectly with the all of our dishes. Run, don't walk to Cocello!!! Bravo to the chef!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, atmosphere - will be back!KathyDined on 11/21/2014We loved everything about this dinner...the Scampi a la Scampi was delectable, the ambience was beautiful, our table was perfect with comfy chairs, tucked in a corner. We will definitely plan another dinner there again soon!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip spotHeatherVIPDined on 11/21/2014Atmosphere is very warm and inviting. Food was tasty and the service was fun because the people that work there are alternative, super nice and knowledgable hipsters. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/17/2014Gem in River North. Way to go Brandon great food, great service, ambiance and best of all house wine delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing Notable Here - Menu Items Not AvailableJayCharlesVIPDined on 11/16/2014We had a 7:30 p.m. reservation on a Sunday Evening. The ambiance is quite nice - like sitting in a large living room. The menu is not extensive. One of the items on the menu that my wife wanted to order - the lasagna - was not available. It looked to be the best item on the menu, and one wonders how, with such a limited menu, one of the key items would not be available. The same with the desert menu. Not that much on it, but the Lemon Panna Cotta, which we wanted to order, was also not available. We started with salads, which were average and unmemorable. I had chicken, which was good, and my wife had pasta, which was average. There is simply nothing memorable here, and I would not go back or recommend the restaurant to anyone looking for a fine dining experience.
- Delicious food and decent over solicitous servicecaferienneDined on 11/13/2014Fantastic cocktails and fun to watch the talented bartenders make the beautiful drinks, though the bartender didn't have a warm or inviting personality and took quite a while to greet me and take my order. I have found this to be true at many Italian restaurants but I liked the starters and pasta more than the entrées. The truffle polenta with poached egg was perfect. The alla amatriciana was very good, rich and unctuous bursting with flavor if slightly greasy and not the pasta cut I would have selected. The scallops were good but overly sweet (really need the squeeze of lemon juice to cut sweetness) and lacked a balance of texture. The first short rib we got was mostly fat but our server quickly brought out a new non-fatty piece, which was pretty good but not anything new. The one low point was the service of the supporting team - busboys, runners, etc. They kept coming by trying to take our unfinished plates and it felt like they were pressuring us to leave. Although it was a very good experience overall, no one said anything as we left which seemed a bit too nonchalant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a viable lunch optioneatoutalotVIPDined on 11/12/2014Love what I had for lunch (and dinners when I've visited), but the menu is far too limited to be a viable lunch option. Need to add some lighter protein options (pasta at lunch is not appealing) and also an additional salad or two.
- JessicaJessicaDined on 11/10/2014I have lunched at Cocello now two times since they opened for lunch last week. The menu is delicious. Note that the menu is different than the dinner menu - for those who are familiar with the dinner menu. The lunch menu offers several very healthy choices - which for lunch during the week is great- including the broiled salmon, the minestrone soup and multiple different salad choices. For the meat lovers, the Classic Italian Beef Dip looks delicious. The Cacio e Pepe pasta is delicious as well. Cocello brings to River North an awesome new great choice for lunch. Totally recommend it.Special Features:
- An Italian gemScooterDined on 11/9/2014Eat here before this one is discovered like their other restaurants. Great for a "date night" or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!susanVIPDined on 11/9/2014We were looking for a nice low key restaurant on an extended stay in downtown. This was perfect! Good food and service with a nice cozy feeling.Special Features:
- Amazingchuckles722Dined on 11/4/2014If you love Gilt Bar, Au Cheval and Bavettes, you will love this. Best Old Fashioned in the city. Must try the Egg Yolk Raviolo- one of the best things I've ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocello is a FIND!RockVIPDined on 11/3/2014The ambiance is red leather and wood. Very comfortable and club-like. The service was excellent but not overbearing. While the menu is limited. the food was terrific. Their homemade bread (especially the fennel bread) is worth the trip alone. Went with friends and would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- Great dinner, as usualsandiVIPDined on 10/28/2014We live next to Cocello so we come frequently, and the food is still just as good as always.Special Features:
- Fantastic spotJulietDined on 10/28/2014Simply and perfectly prepared Italian fare in a gorgeous space. Taking it from its previous iteration as a deli to this homey, cozy, warm and inviting space was an overwhelming success. Glad to add it to the list of restaurants I'll go to regularly.Special Features:
- Small but tasty menuCloverMayVIPDined on 10/27/2014Convenient location for after work. The server was knowledgeable about the wines and menu selections. Although the menu is small, there is a variety of choices and the quality was very good. The server disappeared for periods of time but we were not in a rush.
- A great Find!mischaDined on 10/25/2014This is a great find! Very beautiful interior. Nice bar area, too. We felt like we were in someones comfortably elegant home. Also refreshing that we could actually hear one another talking unlike some of the other "hot" restaurants in town. The menu was selection was also good, not too many choices, but what was offered was delicious. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- charlieDined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful experience at Cocello. It is an intimate atmosphere with lots of space between tables and the perfect place to actually be able to hold a conversation!! Our waiter was very friendly and efficient and the food was amazing. We were a party of 4 and shared entrees and appetizers and everything we ordered was fabulous!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and atmosphereJvmurphDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time at Cocello and we will be going back again several times. The food was excellent and our server was very knowledgable about the food and the wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meatball HeavenJTeatsDined on 10/24/2014My husband and I visited Cocello for the first time with another couple visiting us from out of town. We had to wait to be seated about 30 minutes past our reservation, but they made it up to us with the best table in the house and two complementary antipasta starters. Dinner was delicious. We had the octopus, two meatballs and the lasagna. So much food and so good! The candleabras, red/black/white and textures (velvet seats and exposed brick) make for a romantic date night or nice night out to dinner!Special Features:
- Dark, Lovely and DeliciousalisebDined on 10/23/2014You won't regret trying Cocello. Perfect spot to share a bottle of wine and small plates with a few friends or for date night. The wait staff is very knowledgeable, attentive and friendly. The ambiance is beautiful, like an old fashioned library made modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JoeMDined on 10/22/2014Food came out hot and the service was excellent, not much else to saySpecial Features:
- slots of good choiceWilmetteBoxerDined on 10/19/2014The menu resembles that of Dilman's, which used to be here--a nice mix of small plates and larger ones. Among the excellent dishes we tried was the spare rib, suave and satisfying, and the scallops served with a dash of creamed corn. Not as good: orecchiette w/ sausage, too hot. The bread has too much fennel but a sensational crust. Deserts were good across the board, especially the olive oil cake. They stress communal dining but we were happy w/ small plates and salads to start, bigger plates--a more traditional approach. Service was excellent. We'll go back.Special Features:
- perfect evening!JRSDRSVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had a gorgeous evening. The restaurant is like sitting in a cozy bar with beautiful ambient lighting and well spaced tables. You forget how wonderful it is to have your own space! The service by Alexander was amazing. We truly enjoyed spending our evening with him and his recommendations were perfect. We were disappointed they were out of the famed raviolo but everything else was perfect. The wine was well priced and food size was fun to share several dishes. Thank you for a wonderful date night in Chicago!Special Features:
- CocelloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Excellent food and service. Great Italian. ravioli was the best dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodIBUDDLEDined on 10/11/2014Food was delicious and the lemon panna cotta was out of this world. Prices where very affordable and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic housemade pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/9/2014Two things made this dinner very special. First, service was fantastic from the moment we walked through the door. A friendly welcome, immediate seating, a great waiter and well-paced service. The food was also excellent. Particularly impressive was the egg yolk raviolo. This is always one of my favorite pasta dishes, but I will say that I can't recall it ever being prepared better than at Cocello - stunning and delicious. While the raviolo was the highlight, also excellent were the roast chicken, linguine & clams and complementary sourdough-fennel bread. Overall, a fantastic meal and a restaurant I look forward to returning soon.Special Features:
- egkjcmDined on 10/9/2014We had a fabulous meal here. I would go back again and again. Thanks for a really great experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/9/2014I had been looking forward to this girls' dinner for quite a few weeks and was a bit underwhelmed. Our server barely came to our table. She never checked in with how the food was and we found ourselves looking for her when we were ready for dessert and the check. We had the burrata appetizer which was good. I had the raviolo as my entree. It was one palm sized ravioli (a little small for an entree portion) and the pasta was a bit undercooked. My girlfriend had penne a la vodka which was nothing special. We shared a bottle of the house red wine. And had the olive oil cake for dessert which was delicious. I was expecting much more from this dinner. Not sure I'd return.
- MarkDined on 10/8/2014Incredible little spot, tucked on the west outskirts of River North. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cocellohd2102Dined on 10/7/2014Dim, intimate, small but powerfully flavorful plates. The olive-oil cake was outstanding.Special Features:
- Best Italian in the cityBruceEDVIPDined on 10/7/2014Best pasta in the city! Superb pasta sauces, the house made bread with the fennel is incredible! The polenta appetizer with the poached egg and truffles is not to be believed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Chicd8nvnDined on 10/4/2014Atmosphere is comfortable and sophisticated. Lots of room between tables allows you to stretch out without worry of encroaching on others. Much of the food is small plates meant to be shared. Home made pasta dishes are to die for. The ability to share conversation, great food in an inviting atmosphere makes Cocello just about perfect. As they have been open only six months,you might need to be a little patient with the servers as they fine tune work assignments. Overall we were impressed and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JavakingDined on 10/4/2014Their cappuccino was the best I've had and the pasta was fresh and very goodSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous meal, gorgeous tableOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/30/2014This is an outrageously beautiful restaurant. We shared a handful of things, all decadent (note: small plates, meant to be shared, and the ones we chose were rich). Server was fine, but the wait assistant was outstanding - notably so. A very romantic spot, also saw several groups of girls having a stylish night out.Special Features:
- Worth a second tryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2014Great atmosphere, very cozy and warm. Service was a little slow, waited for about 10 minutes before a server acknowledged us. The meal itself was decent but not exceptional. The pasta was a little too al dente, could have used more flavor and the portion sizes were very small. The atmosphere was wonderful and I would give it a try again but I wasn't wowed.Special Features:
- Dinner at CocelloChgo81VIPDined on 9/27/2014The host staff called the incorrect party with same last name, so our reservation was 45 minutes behind. They asked us to cash out at the bar before we were to be seated. I asked the bartender if we could cash out so we could go to our table. I noticed she went on to the next customer. I checked back in to see if we could cash out. She was extremely rude and said she was with someone else and that I needed to wait. I was stunned at how rude she was, especially given she was "helping" me before the other customers. Based on her attitude and the mixed up reservation, we will not be going back. I'd also not recommend this restaurant. Our waiter, John, was fantastic. He was a breath of fresh air after the terrible service we had thus far.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gemBMACTVIPDined on 9/27/2014Being Italian, I am very picky with my Italian food. This place exceeded my expectations. Delicious food all around. I had to try the homemade pasta which was amazing and cooked to perfection. The place is gorgeous inside and the small outdoor area is quaint and quiet. We had great service and they have a notable Italian wine list. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- appetizers were greatappetizersVIPDined on 9/23/2014The appetizers were very good. The main courses we had needed seasoning but over all OK. Very cool feel and will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best handmade pasta in chicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/21/2014We were excited to finally try this restaurant and were blown away by the outstanding pasta dishes - the egg yolk ravioli is amazing! All of the other dishes we tried were great, including one delicious piece of olive oil cake. Love the cozy decor and attention to detail. Service was well timed. Eager to go back and try more of the menu, especially in the approaching colder weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy yummy yum yum yum!!!!!!!!!!!!kcatlovesyumfoodDined on 9/19/2014everything about our experience here was amazing!!!! food was exquisite!!! service was impeccable and a lovely night to enjoy out door dining (thought inside was very romantic!). and the olive oil cake with orange and fresh mascarpone? that could've been the last meal ever, and I would've been happy. highly recommend!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.