1427 North Great Neck Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23454Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coastalgrill.com/
- Phone: 7574963348
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Bryan
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jerry Bryan 757-576-4232
A word from Coastal Grill
Classic, consistent, upscale cuisine is offered in a well-appointed, unpretentious setting in this top-notch nosherie. The mahogany bar invites easy conversation and casual dining. Located on the affluent Great Neck corridor in Virginia Beach, just three miles from the Oceanfront, Coastal Grill is as famous for what isn't on the menu as for what actually is. Executive Chef-Owner Jerry Bryan with Maureen Cucchiaro at the stove offer an extensive list of "blackboard specials," always with a nice assortment of freshly caught regional seafood. This locals favorite has received critical acclaim since its inception over 20 years ago, culminating in being voted the Number 1 Restaurant by Hampton Roads Magazine. With amazing food, exemplary service, Coastal Grill is a sure bet for business dinners, special occasions, or simply unwinding after a hard day. Come celebrate with us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Coastal Grill - Best Restaurants in Virginia Beach ›
Coastal Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (83)fit for foodies (67)special occasion (64)romantic (33)notable wine list (18)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for brunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Dependable ExcellenceFirefox76Dined on 9/9/2014This is our "go to" restaurant for special occasions, dear friends, and a "nice night out." We have always had great food, service and a wonderful dining experience. A true gem. Very excited to experience the new location!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last day before movingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/9/2014Went here for a birthday dinner and it is just as they were preparing to move across the street. Server was not up to the usual level as far as knowledge. I order a draft beer waited then learned the system was off for the shut down then switched to a Pinot Gris wine and she brought a Pinot Gigio, sent that back to then find they were out of the Gris due to shut down comming. Webt again with another choice not in stock then hit a choice they had. It was not cold but still delicious. Food was superb as always! Can't wait to try the new locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable short visits only?briefreviewsnodotcomVIPDined on 9/5/2014After 1 hour 20 minutes of enjoying delicious food, guest and I were politely asked by waitress to leave as there were other diners waiting. this was a bit unsettling and not a great end to a wonderful meal. Guest and I were in midst of a discussion, had not ordered coffee but had enjoyed a bottle of wine. hmmmmSpecial Features:
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/31/2014One of our favorites. Outstanding menu and specials, great fish dishes, lamb, scallops, salads, cooked perfectly. Desserts superb. Solid wine selection. Service is consistently professional and attentive.Special Features:
- Don't overlook the beginner saladsbriefreviewsnodotcomVIPDined on 8/30/2014I am a repeat visitor every chance I get on weekends. This past weekend one of the specials was a chicken liver salad for starters. This is not your mother's overdone funny tasting chicken or calves liver. The salad was divine, the flavors special and a real culinary treat. As usual the tomato and mozarella with very fresh basil steeped in olive oil was also refreshing and tasty. As always, the soft shells were delish, and the corn on the cob has been especially good this summer. One of my guests--not a crab lover-- enjoyed the trout. This place is worth the drive from Sandbridge and other far away places. (I am not a relative or good friends of the owners, just a loyal patron.)Special Features:
- Consistently goodCowboy929Dined on 8/29/2014Same menu with same specials means they continue to meet expectations. Soft shells are the best around. I wish you could get a veggie instead of 2 starches as a side, but everyone knows that's never going to happen so at least it's consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodAlexDined on 8/28/2014Always crowded even on a Thursday. This is always a good sign. Wish there had been more fish selections. A fair number of groups which causes a louder noise level.Special Features:
- DeliciouslovetoshopDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant has served delicious meals everytime my friends, family and myself have gone there for dinner. Always bring visitors for an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry SeabeehungryseabeeDined on 8/22/2014Consistently fabulous!! You can always count on the Coastal Grill to deliver an outstanding meal! We will will be back often!Special Features:
- luv4eightDined on 8/17/2014This is an excellent restaurant; on all of our annual trips to Va. Beach, we have dinner here. Prices are right and food is excellent; fast service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJCT2014Dined on 8/17/2014Have not been to the Coastal Grill in quite a few years and it is still wonderful! The food was some of the best I've had in a very long time and the service was excellent! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SallyDined on 8/16/2014A great restaurant with a long history of serving exceptionally great food. It is a local favorite and becomes the favorite of visiting friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay experiencePuddycatDined on 8/9/2014We dined with another couple last Saturday and had trouble conversing because the restaurant was very noisy! My husband ordered the shrimp and grits and didn't like it because the grits were soupy and it was messy to remove the shrimp tails. I ordered the grilled trout which was okay. I would have preferred a green vegetable instead of 2 starches (corn on the cob and potatoes). For dessert we ordered the apple tart which was disappointing. It consisted of several layers of puff pastry sitting in alot of caramel sauce and some sliced apple on top. Very disappointingl We also ordered decaf coffee that was mediocre. Our friends ordered the chocolate cake which they liked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best of the BeachHowlerDined on 8/5/2014While other restaurants try to be all things to everyone, Coastal Grill has perfected the art of fine dining. It has found a short menu of fantastic offerings and stuck with it. Before you go, you know that what you order will be dependably delicious. The portions are generous but not overly stuffed. The service is always most pleasant and efficient. We look forward to dining at the new location.Special Features:
- Great eatsBillyDined on 8/3/2014Love going here for special occasions. A little price but great food. Been eating here for over 10 years a couple times a year and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have been coming to the coastal grill since it first opened up in 1989 and have never had nothing less than a exceptional meal and serviceSpecial Features:
- lmallisonDined on 8/1/2014My husband and I chose Coastal Grill for our anniversary dinner because it has a romantic atmosphere and great food. I had the fried oysters and my husband had the steak and they were both very good.Special Features:
- We won't be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014We ordered mussels which came with no bread. We had to ask twice for it, which came at the end of the meal. The salad was split and not well. We had to wait a considerable amount of time for our wine. It was not the Coastal Grill experience we had before.
- Tucked awayCharlottesville29Dined on 7/27/2014In Virginia Beach, worth the drive to find this; it has the opposite of a view (strip mall). Indoors, it's pleasant, though people are watching TV at a bar not far from the quiet tables. Trout fillet and salmon specials were truly delicious, the accompanying corn on cob overcooked but tasty. Wine list is good, but very pricey.Special Features:
- MaryDined on 7/27/2014The Coastal Grill is one of our favorite restaurants at VA Beach. Frequently, we order the peppered tuna for our dinner. This time the tuna was very thin ,and, therefore, it was not rare as it should have been. But we will be back soon, I am sure.
- Lovely ambience, delicious food!KycactgirlDined on 7/22/2014I am visiting my daughter, who is working in Virginia Beach, and we were looking for a cozy place to have dinner and be able to converse. Having lived in Virginia a Beach years ago, I remembered Coastal Grill and wondered whether or not it would still be the lovely gem tucked away on a Great a neck Road where we had enjoyed many a fine meal. We were delighted to find that it was! The halibut I ordered was perfectly prepared w/ a tasty tomato chutney. Our server was friendly but not intrusive. A great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another wonderful dinner at CoastalDeliciousVIPDined on 7/19/2014Our family enjoyed another fantastic dinner, can't wait until we enjoy our next. I am happy to say that this restaurants food and service is always as good as it gets!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but saltyVBdinerDined on 7/19/2014Loved the shrimp and grits. Very creamy and I'm not a grits fan usually. Heard alot about the goat cheese app which was basically goat cheese sitting in olive oil with very few roasted peppers and garlic. Grilled baguettes were good. Fish was cooked well but surprised that sides were both carbs...corn and potatoes. No veggie option? Corn was deliciously sweet at least. Overall meal left us very thirsty. Worth checking out at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beyond expectationslovenycDined on 7/13/2014really good meal crispy sea bass was exceptional cheers for black bean soup all four in party totally satisfied and very happy with all aspects of dining at coastal grillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining.GlennDined on 7/12/2014We recently went to the Coastal with a party of six. We all had different entrees and everyone loved their meal. We had a great new desert, a homemade ice cream sandwich. It was excellent.Special Features:
- A little too energeticKenSDined on 7/12/2014Coastal Grill is a perennial favorite, with an excellent 'regular' menu and nightly specials. It suffers for its popularity, though, by being crowded and noisy. Hard to hold a conversation. Rumor has it that they are scouting for a new location, perhaps across the street, that will give them an opportunity to spread out the dining room and have some acoustic control.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor hostess1LadyDiDined on 7/12/2014First time visiting.There for a friends birthday. Four of us including my 84yr old mother who was excited to be there.Waitress was nice and answered all our questions about the menu. Wilted bibb salad and goat cheese plate was delicious. We got the chicken, shrimp and grits and soft shell crab, each was very good.Waitress had just asked us if we wanted dessert when the hostess walked by and said she"needed our table." Waitress said "no, they just ordered dessert." We felt it was extremely rude for her to make us feel it was time to leave when we hadn't finished dining yet. Waitress apologized to us but the hostess should have been the one to do that. We spent $180 and were so disappointed that our visit ended on that tone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super birthday dinnerthecaptdinesDined on 7/12/2014Great food and even better service! Went with a group of six, who after delicious appetizers, ordered five different entrees. From steak to grouper to scallops and shrimp and softshell crab. Everyone gave a thumbs up!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable Venue For Special OccasionRichardGriecoDined on 7/11/2014Food, Menu & Service are always excellent. Only a handful of restaurants in Virginia Beach are as consistently good as Coastal Grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salad surprise!TouristDined on 7/11/2014Liver/spinach salad was exceptional! Scallops w/ fried coating were not very good even though they are one of their specialties.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beverly52Dined on 7/7/2014Our dinner was a get together with friends visiting from out of town. The food was excellent - I had the scallops and they were cooked to perfection. Everyone, including our twelve year old, enjoyed the meal. The server was also excellent and conversant. I would recommend it for a good quality, attentively served casual meal with good friends. Reservations are a must, we were there on a Monday night and it was packed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft shells best in city!HireillyDined on 7/7/2014This place is always busy so apparently everyone enjoys it as much as we do!Special Features:
- Incredible dinner!VabeachtennisDined on 7/6/2014My girlfriends and I had the most incredible dinner at Coastal! Would go back in a heartbeatSpecial Features:
- Coastal Grill is our #1 restaurantCGisGreatDined on 7/6/2014We have been dinning at Coastal Grill for over 20 years. The food and service has been consistently great. We use it many times when taking friends out for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Resturantcrice89137Dined on 7/4/2014This is one of our most favorite resturants. Food is consistently good and the service wonderful. Always a great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/3/2014The food is always outstanding and the service makes you feel like family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Fantastic dinner specials. Great service. Were even so kind to accept a gift certificate that had expired. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DependableKACKIETDined on 6/27/2014Food is consistently good. The best short shell crabs anywhere in tidewater. Good service. Always have the Bibb salad which is delicious and always so fresh.Special Features:
- Excellent and DeliciouslovetoshopDined on 6/27/2014This local restaurant is a treasure. The atmosphere is cozy and friendly. The staff is well versed in the flavor of the foods served. The food is so so wonderful. There is no question that this restaurant deserves and outstanding reputation. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a spectacular meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDrmithraDined on 6/21/2014The food never disappoints and the server was wonderful. Thanks for a great date night for my wife and I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.