9701 Atlantic Avenue
Diamond Beach, NJ 08260Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coastalbluenj.com/
- Phone: 6092241124x
- Hours of Operation:
All Day: 12:00p-9:00p
Late Night: 9:00p-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: LIVE MUSIC 4p-7p every Friday and Saturday
A word from Coastal Blue
Welcome to Coastal Blue, an upscale-casual, eatery inside of the beautiful Hotel Icona Diamond Beach. The seaside chic meeting place offers tastemakers a unique dining experience, featuring culinary delights with a local flair only the south Jersey shore can claim. Our thoughtfully crafted breakfast, lunch and dinner menus often rely on locally sourced products for creations using shrimp, scallops, Angus beef, summer fruits and greens. Whether feasting inside the airy dining room or on the moonlit patio, Coastal Blue offers a sweet finish to the palate that few restaurants can match: a commanding view of the Atlantic Ocean.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Coastal Blue - Best Restaurants in Wildwood Crest ›
Coastal Blue reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)scenic view (20)neighborhood gem (14)kid-friendly (11)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (9)special occasion (7)romantic (7)great for brunch (6)good for groups (5)hot spot (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- differenthappytoeatDined on 10/17/2014Coastal blue was a pretty little restaurant overlooking the ocean in Wildwood crest. The menu was very limited and pricey. Our service was good but the food took a longtime to come. Without a "deal" I doubt I'd go back.Special Features:
- Go for the foodjustmeDined on 10/17/2014The best thing about the place was the food. It was excellent. The crab cakes are a must. The new wait staff were being trained from the summer turnover. They were very friendly. The place is very small so a reservation is also a must. More seating is available outside, weather permitting. I would go again for the food. We had dinner there two nights and breakfast both mornings. Go for breakfast as early as you can because when we left(9:30am) the wait line was long. The hostess(restaurant manager) and dining room manager were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great oceanside dining spotNWKWDined on 10/3/2014Started off with a seat at the bar,and was impressed by the lovely seaside ambiance. It was nice to find some local craft beer on tap. The bartender was friendly and we enjoyed our conversation. At reservation time, we went to see the hostess. We would have loved to enjoy outside dining with such an awesome ocean view, but we opted for inside this time since it was windy. Still a nice view. First calamari, done to perfection. Then salad, which was extremely fresh. Next, one of us had seafood pasta. Delicious and the shrimp were huge! The other had the best crab cake this season, all crab, perfectly seasoned. Excellent service by courteous waitstaff. So pleased to have found this lovely restaurant. Already looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find At the ShoreshortyDined on 9/28/2014The restaurant was a great find on my visit to the shore. Good food and nice surroundings made for a relaxing weekend. Dinner was good and breakfast outside was even better. Definitely worth trying out next season. The restaurant is closing for the season at the end of the month. I will be back in 2015.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden Gem at Diamond Beach!!!KittyKatKuteyDined on 9/27/2014This restaurant/bar is right on the beach, and the staff are completely professional without being stuffy. I was greeted by two lovely ladies, Sherry & Amanda, who made me feel special as soon as I entered the restaurant. I had somewhat of a stressful situation happen right before my reservation, and they put me at ease right away just by caring. They realize people come out to get away from stress, and my entire experience was a delight! The food was awesome (started with Italian lager...so yummy), and then I had calamari, fish tacos and a lobster roll. I had a living social coupon so I ended up taking most of the tacos and lobster home with me. It was even better the next day!!! This place is immaculate & fun! Try the pain killer!Special Features:
- CookieDined on 9/21/2014Made reservations for 10AM for breakfast for 5 people. Had a waiting list for inside of a half hour without reservations. Inside immediate seating. Even though we had reservations, if we wanted to sit inside we were put at the end of the list for inside seating. I don't think that was fair. Other than that, the food was good but the service was fair. Will definitely give it another try.Special Features:
- Bit pricey, tiny menu, good foodtmanbird1Dined on 9/14/2014Restaurant was very nice. Ordered the crab cakes-they were very tasty also had the Summertime salad as well as the chicken wings very good. Very pricey, very limited menu, but very good food, service and atmosphere-recommend for special occasionSpecial Features:
- Patronize if you are a hotel guestjcziiVIPDined on 8/31/2014I would not make this a destination unless I actually stayed at this hotel. They obviously poured money into the restaurant as it was done up very nicely. They food was nothing special but the prices were high. They hire Russians that have trouble understanding. My fried wanted a Ketel 1 Martini. The waiter shook his head yes and came back saying they don't have it. The bar tender had to actually come over to say he never hear of Candy Vodka. This is an example of many communication errors. If you're going to hire cheap Russian labor, don't charge what you are charging!! Better yet, hire the local people. I don't like being served by those that know nothing about customer service. Food came out sporadically, so first served ate cold food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The food was good, service was not. Friendly wait staff but had to wait long for service, and had to ask for water twice before we received it. The table behind us had the same problem. The man actually had to get up and get the waiter to request his check. There were plenty of bus boys around that could have assisted the waiters but did not make eye contact with the patrons to see if they needed help. Also, I think advertising the restaurant as water view is bit of a stretch, as the view is of a swimming pool. If you wanted to look at the ocean you would have to stand up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find!truthDined on 8/27/2014We had had breakfast and dinner. Breakfast was great. Dinner was very good - my only negative was it was a tad on the pricey side. Service great - waiter / waitress great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Costal Blue @ Diamond BeachmoceansylviaDined on 8/27/2014Went to this quaint indoor & outdoor restaurant with my husband. I had salmon entree (gluten free) which was delicious and my husband had the crab cakes which were all crab and no fill.the food was very good. They had music from 4-7 and sat outside which was alot of fun. I made reservations on line and received confirmation back and when we arrived they did not have my reservation. This is not the fault of the restaurant but the website and they found me a great table outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coastal Bluefoodadventurer18Dined on 8/26/2014I went to coastal blue with a group of friends on our last night on our summer trip, this restaurant not only has a great view and great food, the owner and the staff are incredibly sweet, they will try their best to accommodate what you need. I definitely will be coming back here whenever I will be going back to cape may.Special Features:
- First impressions lastOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/26/2014The last week in August is usually quiet at the Jersey Shore. Kids getting ready for school or already at school. But not For the last week at the Hotel Icona that houses Coastal Blue. The food was pretty good, not knock your socks off but certainly fresh and pleasing. Some of the wait staff were better than others. Our waiter did not have any recommendations, did not know if a dish was good or not but I understand his dilemma. He had a hard time understanding us as he did not speak English very well. So goes the last week of August at the Jersey shore. Check out coastal blue for breakfast but be careful with the scrambled eggs. So prep chefs seem to have a heavy hand with the salt. Otherwise like dinner, satisfying.Special Features:
- horribleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014we didn't even make it into the restaurant.....there were seats available and we were asked to sit outside. The hostess was rude and snotty.
- Will definitely go backTime2dineDined on 8/21/2014We were promptly greeted by the hostess who was polite and welcoming. Inside was modern (the right amount, not too modern), new and clean. I was undecided about 2 dishes so the waiter suggested the salmon which was perfectly pan seared, giving it a slightly crispy outside, while keeping the inside buttery and moist--delicious! My wife had the lobster Mac and cheese which she really enjoyed. Service was prompt and polite, although he was still a little green. Oh!-and the bathroom-very clean, but most impressive was the self-cleaning inside door handle (sometimes it's the little things!). Coastal Blue was our best dining experience on our whole trip. Great upscale place with a refined menu; can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceSummerfunDined on 8/19/2014We ate at Coastal Blue for dinner and breakfast while staying at Hotel Icona. All of the servers and staff that we interacted with were excellent. This is how customer service should be, but is so hard to find today. Food and drinks were good. We did not have to wait long for our meals. Overall a very enjoyable experience and definitely would return when staying in the Wildwood area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wildwood No waiting - no linesMomPatsPicksDined on 8/17/2014Great coffee and the Belgian Waffles were delicious. The bacon was cooked perfectly as well.Special Features:
- Loved Coastal BlueAliceDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I recently bought a "living social" deal as we were going to be in the area this past week. Arrived at Coastal Blue which is in a upscale hotel. We were immediately greeted upon walking into the hotel. We proceeded back to the restaurant where the hostess was again very welcoming. All staff was friendly and professional. I ordered the lobster roll sandwich and it was very tasty. It came with a small side salad which was also good. My husband ordered the crab cake sandwich which was also delicious. I was very pleased with this restaurant and would recommend for a nice meal.Special Features:
- Service An Issue...Loves2EatDined on 8/13/2014Overall the experience was lengthy but pretty good. I found the food tasty, but the service lacked and the food took forever to come. My advice would be not to come starving as we waited quite a bit for our salads and had to ask for bread that was forgotten by our waitress. The service we received did not match our expectations considering the price we paid for the meal.
- loved the placeraineyDined on 8/10/2014Greeted and treated very well for sunday night dinner. Food and drinks were excellent. Live music was a bonus. Only drawback was little available parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I give up!MPaulJCVIPDined on 8/9/2014Al's food is outstanding. We were here opening night 2013 & he wowed us. Our server had a panic attack, drinks & appetizers took forever, but he & the manager took pains to visit with us & ask for our understanding. The payoff was a meal that left us awed. It's 2014 so the kinks must be worked out? No. Called 5 times to let them know we were stuck in traffic. No answer. 2 more times: French Canadian hostess couldn't understand us. Arrived 25 minutes late. She says we no showed, remind her we spoke, says no tables til 9. Place is 60% empty! 2nd hostess sees this, immed seats us, manager checks in. Marissa our server is fantastic, orders go in. Quick appetizers, no dinner for 65 minutes, even when half empty. They can't get it together!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014What a great find. Awesome decor. I ordered the Crab Cakes with Mango Slaw and they were awesome!!Special Features:
- MadsMadsDined on 8/5/2014Very disappointed! I read so many good reviews, so made reservations for 7:30. We arrived at 7:20 and stood at the hostess station for 5 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us? We were told that they were running behind and that it would be 7:45 before we were seated. No problem as we had a drink at the bar. At 8:00 pm we left. Why? There were empty tables in the dining room and yet we were not seated. The hostess would not even acknowledge us as we tried to wave her down to inquire about our reservation. The entire time we were at the bar, not a single table was served any food. There seemed to be enough staff working, so not sure what was happening that evening. Was there a problem in the kitchen? The hostess should have informed us.Special Features:
- Modern and classyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/5/2014Friendly and helpful staff; good food and nice atmosphere. Only complaint was the waiter brought the wrong order and didn't notice it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josh the manager was amazingDebizeeDined on 8/2/2014We were treated like royalty from the moment we arrived till when we left. Marissa our server was amazing, and the food was so delicious, I can't wait to return and have the lobster mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oversold itself2yummy4foodDined on 7/3/2014This restaurant sells itself as a casual upscale dining experience, which its not. Its really a noisy family restaurant that teies to bill itself as upscale. Its too bad because the location and ambience are great however that is negated by the slow service, unreasonable noise level and average menu.Special Features:
- Good Food, super slow service!!Lilylou2Dined on 6/27/2014We decided to try coastal blue after looking at the menu online. The food was very good however the portion size for the fish tacos was a bit small and the service was VERY slow. We waited about an hour for our food. They also did not have a kids menu. When we asked they said they were working on it and could make chicken fingers, hot dogs, or a burger for the kids. Our kids eat fish and don't eat those other things so we were limited to what we could order for them. For the future I would suggest that they develop a kids menu that has a few fish options for the kids such as broiled flounder, and fried or broiled shrimp. Especially since they are primarily a seafood restaurant at the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 15 reviews are from the Coastal Blue reviews archive.
- Was OKdaveDined on 9/1/2013Went with a party of 6. 3 said their dinners were really good and 3 didn't like so much. 2 had lobster rolls and 1 had Surf/Turf special. they all liked theirs. 1 other had salmon , 1 had the two pound stuffed lobster and one had another fish. The lobster was dry and not very flavorful. Also when your paying that kind of money 60 bucks for lobster and 40 for surf/turf, you should not have to ask for drawn butter. Also server brought a cracker but not a small fork for getting into the lobster. Had to ask for refills on coffee. Slow to acknowledge our presence upon being seated. Just expected more..
- Great new spot at the Jersey shorehgonetVIPDined on 9/1/2013This restaurant is a great new addition to the restaurants in the wildwood area! One of the only ones with views of the ocean! My tilapia was delicious, my husband's steak was slightly overcooked but still good. Beet salad was fantastic! Overall a good experience and we would go back!Special Features:
- Innovative Coastal CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2013Having an opportunity to sample Chef Al Paris' creative cooking while sitting outside with a view of the ocean was a wonderful treat. The mussels were some of the best , as was the lobster roll. The innovative crab cake was outstanding. . It is new and while there were some glitches, Bobby, the Manager, did a great job in making the experience enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coastal Blue Surprisesdinaglio45VIPDined on 8/17/2013We've had dinner at Coastal Blue twice in the last month. The food is very good. The setting is very cool, attached to a swanky new hotel just steps from the beach. However, the service is amateurish. Soup served w/o a spoon, entrees served that were no longer hot or even warm, and minimal knowledge about menu items. Worse yet is the unfriendly, clueless bartender. These service gaffes could prove to be the undoing of what should be a terrific new restaurant at the shore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared, flavorful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2013The food at Coastal Blue was very good, exceptionally good for the Wildwoods. Flavorful, nicely plated, and interesting. Fried calamari was done perfectly and the accompanying grilled/pickled vegetables provided some balance to the breading. Chicken breast with Moroccan spices was delish! Crab cakes had plenty of large chunks of crab with minimum filling and subtle spices. Dessert list was short, but varied. Wine menu is also short, but included a lot of good-value wines. Our first choice was not available. It looked like the crowd was mainly into beer (craft beers on tap) and mixed drinks. Plates and glasses look nice, but are plastic (makes sense given proximity of pool). Service was very good. Casual in a good shore way.Special Features:
- Needs a great deal of improvementJoanneDined on 8/17/2013Heard a lot of negatives about Coastal Blue but we wanted to try it anyway. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and the theme consistent with a resort atmosphere. The bar staff was very inexperienced. We were a crowd of 8 people and it took 20 minutes for us to get our drinks. One of our guest ordered Crown Royal and they only had enough for 1/2 of a drink and served him 1/2 of a drink. All drinks and dinners are served in plastic barware and plates. We ordered a second round of drinks at the table and the drinks arrived tasting a lot different than the first round of drinks and were not good. Food was good, service slow & inconsistent. Most wait staff did not speak fluent English and made it hard to understand them.Special Features:
- a nice nightOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/17/2013We arrived expecting great food and mediocre service based on other reviews. We were enthusiastically greeted by several servers and quickly seated upon arrival. Our waiter, a college student home for summer, was clearly new to waiting tables but what he lacked in finesse he made up for in attentiveness! Being from Maryland, we are admittedly crabcake snobs. The crabcakes were surprisingly fabulous! The lobster bisque was good but very rich. The beet salad was very tadty! Tilapia with fried bananas were a hit with the two who ordered them and the shrimp tacos were delightful. It got a little loud as the restaurant filled up, but that indicates that folks were having fun! Overall a nice night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need experienced serversOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2013After reading a few reviews and warned by some friends, I was reluctant to try this place. We were seated and greeted promptly. The waitress was hard to understand. It took 20 minutes to get our drinks from the time we ordered. The bar was busy but they had 2 bartenders. I asked the waitress if the chicken was boneless, she said yes. The chicken was bone in, I tried it and it was very good. The crab cakes were excellent. The dining area is not designed well. It is very cramped and every time someone walks by you need to scooch your seat. It took over 20 minutes for my credit card to be ran. Considering the newness of the restaurant, I will give them a try again. The interior is beautiful, Miami Beach like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would try againAnnpDined on 8/16/2013Food was excellent. I had the blackened tilapia which was flaky and moist. There are definite training issues both at the bar and the tables. The manager did his best to address our problems and I think that the early kinks will be worked out. If you are not a stickler on service, give this place a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful deckVacationerDined on 8/15/2013We enjoyed being at this restaurant. The outdoor area is lovely, with a view of the beach, open air on a beautiful night. The seating is comfortable. The servers were highly attentive, and careful. The menu is limited, but the food is fresh. We liked what we ordered, but we didn't love any of it. We started with calamari which was good. Each of our entrees (a pasta dish, and a fish special) had ingredients that weren't mentioned on the menu or during the description of the special, so there were surprises, which isn't ideal. If we went again, we'd ask more questions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I enjoyed my dinning experienceshashaDined on 8/12/2013I enjoyed my dinning experience at Coastal Blue. I had the best crab cakes that I have ever eaten. This was a birthday dinnerwith my family.I would recommend this restuarant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but service needs workOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/10/2013The very fact I am giving this 4 stars is a testament to the food quality, particularly for the shore. The kitchen in this restaurant would shine even in Center City Philadelphia. The service however was so bad it was almost amusing, in a Plan 9 from Outer Space kind of way. It took us 30 minutes and three hostesses/hosts to get seated. Then the head waiter who finally seated us said they only had one menu available and we would have to share. Our waiter was clearly untrained, but at least tried very hard. They ran out of glasses and gave half of us different glasses that still had the price on it. My martini was not close to what I actually ordered. They are new, so hopefully they will get better service to match the food.
- Food in Diamond BeachPKDBVIPDined on 7/27/2013Everyone in our group found the setting and food to be excellent. Appetizers were nicely portioned and tasty. Crabcakes were on e of the best, with no filler. Linguini with seafood was very tasty. Entrees and appetizers were very reasonabley priced. Drinks, were moderately to highly priced but as expected for this beach area. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.