One Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/restaurants/santa_monica_beach_restaurant.html
- Phone: 3105871707
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: 7am - 11am (Daily)
Lunch: 11am - 4pm (Mon-Fri)
Brunch: 11am - 4pm (Sat & Sun)
Happy Hour at the Bar: 4pm - 7pm (Mon-Thurs)
Dinner: 4pm - 10pm (Mon-Sun)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Isaac Gamboa
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Go to www.shuttersonthebeach.com
- Private Party Facilities: Have your next celebration, social gathering or corporate event at the beach! Shutters on the Beach provides a wide variety of unique and memorable settings for every occasion.
- Private Party Contact: Stephen Friddle 3105871705
- Special Events: The Coast Farmer's Market Menu is every Wednesday night from 5:00pm. Come see what the Chef has selected fresh from the morning Santa Monica Farmer's Market. A 3-Course menu is designed around the Chef's picks of the Day at the Market.
A word from Coast
This beachfront cafe boasts indoor and outdoor seating, a causal but sophisticated bar and fresh California dishes from Seared Ahi Tuna and Shaved Prime Rib to the popular Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. Open early morning to late evening, with an impressive Happy Hour, savory weekend brunches and Wednesday Farmer's Market dinners, Coast is the place to dine, drink and relax at the beach.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
66 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (52)great for outdoor dining (32)great for brunch (25)great for lunch (25)special occasion (17)neighborhood gem (15)romantic (14)kid-friendly (13)fit for foodies (13)good for groups (10)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- A really fine experienceAzdave56Dined on 8/31/2014This was our first time at Coast. Everything was great. The food was really fresh and imaginative. Two of our party had the prix fixe Farmer's Market dinner (highly recommended, even including Sweet Corn crème brulee for dessert garnished with Cracker Jacks). I had a beet salad with arugula, grilled shrimp, and a slab of over-the-top chocolate cake. The service was friendly and efficient. And the setting -- watching the sun set over the Pacific -- could not be beat. We will definitely be back. This is a great place for a really good, not inexpensive but not blowout-priced, casual dinner.Special Features:
- Perfect Setting and more......EllenTHVIPDined on 8/26/2014Coast is located at the Shutters Hotel. This place feels a lot lot it was transported from Martha's Vineyard. Coast is the more casual restaurant for this hotel. It has a relaxed vibe, but it is sophisticated, too. The setting is perfect, but so is the service and the food. Don't forget to pick up a piece or two of the salt water taffy at the front desk as you leave!Special Features:
- good food, good servicefoodcriticDined on 8/14/2014You can't beat a beautiful view of the beach. Our waiter was great, recommended great food and was very friendly.Special Features:
- Perfect end to our honeymoon!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014We dined at Coast on the last night of our three week honeymoon and it was my wife's birthday as well. We had a window seat which looked out onto the boardwalk and the beach. Wonderful fresh seafood, great service and a lovely little complimentary birthday cake with candles for my wife. We are based in the UK and this was a recommendation from another English friend who had eaten at Coast a year or two before and it was a great recommendation. Hope to eat there again whenever we are next in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great people watchingBlessedDined on 8/1/2014Had a window right on the boardwalk so fun watching all the strollers, skaters, joggers go by. Great for an after dinner stroll down to the pier. A little pricey but you pay for being right on the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coast was a disappointmentFoodcastDined on 7/25/2014We had made a reservation well in advance, and checked it earlier in the day, but were still kept waiting for a table even though others were arriving and were being seated. To be fair, they did give us a complimentary bottle of wine in compensation. That said, we thought the food was indifferent. The meat was dried out and the fries were cold. If I were to return, it would be for the location on the beach with a view of the pier (if you get a table by the window), and I would probably send the food back to the kitchen, and ask for it to be cooked better. We did not do this as we were already running so late. The server was pleasant enough. It was not cheap; I have had far better meals for much less money.Special Features:
- DeliciousKateDined on 7/20/2014My fiance and I went for restaurant week, so we got to sample a few of their dishes- everything was amazing! Beautiful, delicious, and portion sizes were not too small like you might expect at either a "fancy" restaurant or during restaurant week. The view also can't be beat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice place; bland foodPrimatesDined on 7/20/2014the restaurant is lovely however food was very bland. Nice portions and presentation but no flavor. I had ahi burger, fish tacos, salt caramel fudge brownie. I was underwhelmed and disappointed by lack of flavor with each of theseSpecial Features:
- Beautiful view, yummy foodyumyumchopDined on 7/19/2014The food was great! We went for dinela and got their taco side; calamari; clam pasta and tuna burger. All the food was so tasty! I loved the sauces for the taco and the tuna burger! The tuna burger was nicely filled with avocado! The clam pasta was delish! You can tell the pasta was hand made and not store bought. The calamari was ok. I wasnt too fond of the tartar sauce. The food came out real quick! We sat outside and had a beautiful view of th he beach. It was so nice and felt like we were on vacation. My husband's dessert was the chocolate brownie and that was AMAZING!!! my berry parfait was ok. Overall it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Early DinnerSCP2013VIPDined on 7/12/2014We had a great early dinner there, my husband and I shared the sliders fabulous, and a Asian salad which was over the top delicious, fish and chips were so so for sure weird breading on them! Would totally go back!Special Features:
- It was OK.probablyelectricDined on 7/10/2014I had high hopes for coast after spending quite a bit of time in the car. Unfortunately, I was met with a generic menu and lackluster service. The servers that did eventually wait on us were really friendly, but you could tell they were overworked. I expected more from the food considering the high rating, but it was only hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries and spaghetti with tomato sauce. The view was amazing, so we went for an after dinner walk on the beach to make-up for the generic dinner we just had.Special Features:
- Leisurely and deliciousSusanSDined on 7/8/2014Loved dining at Coast for a reunion with a dear friend. They took wonderful care of us, let us gab for more than an hour after we finished our delicious meals and lovely wine. Servers were attentive and so friendly, but unobtrusive - there when we needed them and not hovering when we didn't. The meal was delicious: fresh, lively flavors and beautifully presented. It's a gorgeous spot along the beach, and we were treated to a beautiful sunset in the bargain. Other diners included an A-list actor, a mixed-generation family of 8, a couple of businessmen bowed to their devices, several couples of varying ages. Clearly, Coast appeals to all, even the adorable wrens that visited now and again.Special Features:
- exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2014Our waiter was exceptional. As was food and view. Great place!!Special Features:
- brunchYummyFudDined on 6/20/2014great place to meet friends, have good food and service and catch up. Right next to the beach so you can walk off brunch in a flash.Special Features:
- Nice and Quiet LunchSallyLDined on 6/16/2014Service was pretty laid back for a quiet Monday afternoon. Our server could have been a bit more attentive, but he was fine. The salmon was especially good as was the fish and chips (although the fries were just OK); desserts were delish - SusieCakes red velvet cake, peach cobbler and root beer float. We weren't rushed and it wasn't crazy-busy as it usually is here; it was a very nice and quiet lunch.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/15/2014The ahi tuna burger and fish and chips was mediocre at best. The appetizers and dessert were good though. We had to follow up with someone in order to get served. I would not recommend this place. We love fine dining but this was an insult to the hard earned money we paid!
- Good beach respite-type restaurantDougDined on 6/14/2014Seafood platter was very good. The salmon was simple to the point of lacking in taste. Great vibe here in the late afternoon, though, with gentle breezes coming through the narrowly calibrated-open windows. And the bar is wonderful place to simply stop for a drink after walking on the boardwalk or beach. It's also a pleasant place to linger as we did over coffee and dessert--which was also very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great VenueSaph3Dined on 6/13/2014Coast is a good restaurant at a great spot, but the food seemed a bit overpriced -- even given its high quality. We ordered a Lobster Roll for $28 and Small Seafood Platter for $48. Both were terrific, but I cannot imagine going back there again, even for special occasions, as there are many other equivalent options for about 2/3rds the price.Special Features:
- Great food!foodies4lifeDined on 6/7/2014Great food! Enjoyable ambiance! Excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time after Time ...Lunch1Dined on 6/4/2014For years I have been taking visitors to Coast for lunch or brunch and One Pico for dinner. In addition to being a really good restaurant, Coast is a memorable experience. East Coast Beach environment set in Santa Monica inside the wonderful Shutters Hotel. A friend and I chose Coast as our regular lunch spot and meet there every 4-6 weeks. We live 40 miles apart, and Coast happens to be about midway. We used to take turns recommending restaurants, until first time we lunched at Coast. She declared this as our official meeting place.Special Features:
- Very nice!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/2/2014What a pretty location and atmosphere for brunch! We sat outside on the patio and enjoyed the gorgeous weather and perfect beach view. I had the lemon ricotta pancakes, which were served with fresh berries, and they were very tasty. Service was good too. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good alternative to One PicoDinerVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a great spot. It isn't as fancy as One Pico, but has a nice menu and a very reasonably priced wine list. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Good food with an even better view!EastcoastDined on 5/22/2014The food is good, nothing crazy to rave about but definitely met my expectations. Delicious and simple, but come to Coast for the beautiful setting. Beach view, lovely decor, and a pleasant crowd. One of the prettiest places I've eaten in.Special Features:
- Great placeEditBoyDined on 5/21/2014Great food. Great Service. Very relaxed. Not stuffy. You could were anything reasonable and not feel underdressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coast Dining ExperienceluvveganDined on 5/14/2014The ambience is one of my favorite dining places, a casual, chic, beach feel. One can be entertained watching the beach path skaters pass by. The wine was good, but service was friendly, but slow, and the food was a disappointment, although I have had better here in the past. I ordered the black bean veggie burger. The bread was not fresh, the burger mushy, and the fries were cold. It was an off night for us.Special Features:
- The following 395 reviews are from the Coast reviews archive.
- Great location but mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/4/2014Overall this was a disappointing experience. I am not opposed to paying a premium price for an exceptional meal but our meals were mediocre at best. I had the Mac and cheese which was almost watery not creamy. Others in my party had the hotdog and french fries. Again just mediocre. You are definitely paying for the location which is exceptional. Unfortunately the food is mediocre.Special Features:
- Overrated and OverpricedAhFoodDined on 4/20/2014Have eaten at Coast before and it was great - not this time. We booked for Movie on the Beach & were notified 2 days before it was cancelled b/c of Easter. They had an Easter menu before - didn't they realize when it was? When we went over to reconfirm we would still be coming - the hostess snottily said "we'll honor your reservation." Why wouldn't they? It wasn't even busy! Waitress didn't know specials and after taking our order disappeared for good. The waiter who took over was much better at his job but didn't make up for the rest of the attitude. Menu lacked interest and was far over priced for the quality. Will not return unfortunately as too disappointed in everything.
- Underwhelmed yet again.2travelersVIPDined on 4/19/2014Unfortunately, Coast continues its slow, steady slide into full-fledged mediocrity, more befitting a common chain restaurant than one of LA's best hotels. The menu seems stuck in the last decade, which wouldn't be so troubling if the kitchen were up to par. On a recent visit, a skirt steak was as chewy as saddle leather, and fish entrees were dry, overcooked, and alarmingly small. Inexplicably, Coast insists on adorning its tables with packaged and thoroughly unremarkable breadsticks rather than offering the kind of local/artisanal bread selections that are easily found (and enjoyed) at so many other local establishments. It's hard to understand how the hotel's management can seem satisfied with this level of underachievement.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/15/2014food was good & service was good. What I didn't like were the prices. I had a Bloody Mary, a Cobb Salad & cappuccino - my bill was $42. My friends had similar and there bill was 1/2 as much. When I questioned why the Bloody Mary was more than Rum & Coke, I was told it was because of the Tomato Juice. The other issue was, I requested bread with my salad and I was told that would be an extra charge. I've be to Coast several times before and never felt that the prices were out of line. I probably would not go back. Ellen BrownsteinSpecial Features:
- Great location but poor serviceMikeDined on 3/19/2014We had a couple of meals at this restaurant and each meal had multiple mistakes (I.e., brought wrong food/drinks or just missed items) and while the servers were friendly (except the host who was was almost comically surly) they were exceptionally slow. It didn't really matter because we were on vacation with our kids and not in a rush, but service was slow/off enough that it became a running joke to see what odd thing would happen next....we repeatedly had the wrong food/drink served but the highlight was watching the server pour hot coffee into a half-full water glass. The food was fine and the convenience of eating in the hotel where we were staying was certainly a big draw, but for future trips, we will plan on getting out more.Special Features:
- My friend who was with mescoutVIPDined on 3/14/2014My friend who was with me told the waiter it was my birthday. I thought he should have acknowledged that someway - like with a complimentary dessert.Special Features:
- Restaurant is located rightBeachbumDined on 3/11/2014Restaurant is located right on the beach with fantastic views. The dinner was delicious - steak was cooked perfectly! Loved the "coastal living" atmosphere and staff was very friendly - felt right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our favorite placeFrenchrunnerVIPDined on 3/8/2014This is our favorite place to go to with the kids. Highly recommended if you have little ones.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.SandyPandyDined on 3/5/2014breakfast was great, service was amazing and the only downside was the coffee - but this was from a coffee snob from Australia - not too much to worry about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat at the beachOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/21/2014Always a good choice for lunch at the beach in a relaxing atmosphere. Wait staff always friendly and eager to assure diners enjoy the Coast experience.Special Features:
- "Casul chic" at the beachLoulouandfriendsDined on 2/20/2014I loved the outside patio, and the ambiance"casual chic". The menu was trendy, the good quality food was well prepared and well presented. The service was unobtrusive and present. We drank tea, from a choice menu. The salmon with asparagus was perfectly cooked, and the mascarpone cheesecake delightful. A keeper for another girlfriend's birthday (my friend did not want the candle on the cake, but I saw it was brought at another table). Loulouand friendsSpecial Features:
- Great place for elegant but casualScott425Dined on 2/14/2014The ambiance and food were great. Service was great at times, but a little up and down. (Seemed like it was mostly a matter of mis- or missing communication between staff members, especially since table around us seemed to go quite smoothly.) We had the Valentine's Day special, which was fantastic! It seemed to have items not on the regular menu, which is disappointing since we would love to be able to go back for the amazing lobster salad!! Either way, we'll definitely return to try a few more items on the menu, and hopefully they will all be as good as the specials!Special Features:
- Good food, great beach view!NCKateDined on 2/14/2014The food was good and the views of the beach/ocean was great. Very romantic; went there for Valentine's Day dinner. Our server, on the other hand, came around maybe twice. I asked for a drink the second time she came and I never received the drink. However, she was very fast on giving us our check. I would definitely go back and recommend our family and friends go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for the SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/12/2014Watch the sun go down over the Pacific from the outside patio, from where you can also watch a never-ending parade of people walking the boardwalk. Great location.Special Features:
- Kid friendly with great views!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/1/2014After searching for a kid friendly restaurant in the area we decided on Coast and our experience was excellent. They treated my baby neice and our family with such kindness. The service was attentive and the food was good. The cuisine isn't exactly exotic, fine dining but if you want a good burger, you'll get a good burger. The view was lovely and the atmosphere was relaxed. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.