931 E. Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coastrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4147275555
- Hours of Operation:
Guests to Coast are invited for: × Dinner - 5:00 - 9:00 pm Tuesday through Friday. × Sunday Brunch - 10:30 am – 1:30 pm. Guests may enjoy sit down and station service with options for the whole family. × Happy Hour martini bar - 4:00 - 7:00 pm Tuesday through Friday. × Private dining - Coast offers private dining for anniversary parties, birthdays and special family celebrations. Contact our event planner to make a reservation.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Chef Justin Riege
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: About Zilli Lake & Gardens Coast is just one of several Zilli Lake & Gardens venues available to clients for meetings or special events. From outdoor patios overlooking Lake Michigan to private, high-tech meeting rooms, each Zilli Lake & Gardens rental space features unique design elements and built-in amenities.
- Private Party Facilities: Meetings By Design The Zilli family has a wide variety of venues to consider when planning your next meeting or special event. From outdoor patios overlooking Lake Michigan to private, high-tech meeting rooms, our facilities are guaranteed to meet your needs.
- Private Party Contact: Candy Zilli 4142771056x411
- Special Events: Zilli Lake & Gardens will be hosting special events including New Year's Eve.
A word from Coast Restaurant
MILWAUKEE, Wis. —May 25, 2009— Whether you’re meeting for a drink after work or entertaining corporate clients, Coast is the place to go for great food and drinks with a view. The popular downtown Milwaukee restaurant has reopened after extensive renovation with a new menu, a happy hour martini bar, and weekday evening, private and holiday dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coast Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Better for a group eventwh0caresVIPDined on 7/10/2014I stopped in for happy hour/early dinner. I was the first one there at 5:00 and another party didn't arrive until close to 6:00. Server said they are more for special occasions and groups. Food was okay. I ordered from their happy hour appetizer menu where you got special price on one appetizer and drink. Small portion but can't complain about the very cheap price. Service was poor. Great view of the Milwaukee Art Museum. Very, very quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 152 reviews are from the Coast Restaurant reviews archive.
- Trendy StationsJEDINITEDined on 5/11/2014Champagne bellini bar was a great choice! lovely background music, cooked-to-order omelet station, extremely creative station setups. We all love love loved it. Oh I forgot to mention the chocolate fountain that was a lot of fun dipping.Special Features:
- Brunch with a view enjoyed by allfishfryfanaticDined on 5/11/2014we dined at Coast for Mothers day. We had a group of 10 and were extremely happy. Our server was very good but a bit too talkative. It is not a huge ponderosa buffet but what they do offer is high quality. We also went to Boerner for Brunch on Easter Sunday which was very well enjoyed. Kind of bummed out that the gardens were not ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Easter BrunchkkgfDined on 4/20/2014This wasn't your average brunch! The food was excellent and price was reasonable. We will definitely do this again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchGoodyDined on 4/20/2014It had been a few years since I was at Coast resteraunt so I was sure what to expect. Our party of five all enjoyed the food that was hot and fresh, which doesn't always happen at bruch stations. We had excellant service and would highly recommend Coast to others.Special Features:
- Service not as good as the foodCowboy07Dined on 4/20/2014My family went to Coast for Easter brunch and the food was OK, it was good. The place is situated in a very nice area, by the lake and the museum. The service on our table was weak though; it always took a long time to see our waitress for the additional drink, removing the dirty dishes and even getting the check.Special Features:
- Easter BrunchJenLovesFoodVIPDined on 4/20/2014Very enjoyable - tasty - wish there was a mimosa bar not a bloody Mary bar - it clashes with the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were the only ones in theJudesDined on 2/18/2014We were the only ones in the restaurant. It was great from a service perspective, but a bit odd when trying to host a business dinner for people in from out of town... just strange. The waiter/bartender was great and helpful and the food was good.
- New Years EveNancyDined on 12/31/2013A Great spot for a special New Year's Eve. The "Speakeasy" theme was fun and well executed. A fun evening!Special Features:
- Coast is a downtown great secretRieslingDined on 12/17/2013Coast is a wonderful spot to dine downtown. Their is parking in the adjacent parking structure that is validated, the ambience is excellent as is the views, food and service. It is a best kept secret for downtown dining!Special Features:
- Great place for all occasions!MargoDined on 11/19/2013We would definitely recommend this restaurant (Coast) to celebrate any occasion. The staff is very accommodating. While there was plenty to choose from the menu, we still wanted more variety for our big party, especially appetizers and deserts. The Beverage Director took care of that. He also helped to choose wines. The table was set and laid just as we wanted. Very good service.Special Features:
- 30th wedding anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/14/2013A gift of a Zilli's gift card brought us to Coast. Coast is Zilli's only remaining restaurant and it is open to the public only Tues thru Fri as Zilli's focuses on their catering business. Our server informed us that the limited number of entrees (5) was reduced by one as the sirloin steak was not available. My wife and I then both elected for the filet, done medium well. Most restaurants will butterfly filets ordered medium well, but Coast did not. The order took awhile, but the filets arrived perfectly medium well. We ordered the calamari appetizer, which was fine and desserts which were also fine. Food and service were both very good. We had a lot of privacy as there were at most 4 tables going while we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $$OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013I expected better food for the money...I've had much better food for the money at other restaurants. The Mother's Day brunch was way over priced.Special Features:
- The only reason I rated thechspDined on 5/12/2013The only reason I rated the "ambiance" lower is because it was very warm in the area we were sitting. The place is beautiful!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day 2013RedlyDined on 5/12/2013Coast was striving to do a nice brunch for Mother's Day and they succeeded. I personally would have appreciated more fresh salads and a different desert option rather than a chocolate fountain but the bellini bar was a nice touch and ALL of the food was exceptional. Our server, Logan, was very attentive and the servers overall seemed to work as a team to clear plates and fill waters. We will definitely be going back! The only drawback is the different "levels" of the restaurant for an elderly person to manuver for a stationed brunch. As long as other customers keep their young children from running amuk the ambience was lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day Brunch was veryIzzyDined on 5/12/2013Mother's Day Brunch was very good!! Service was very attentive. Definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2013It was a nice brunch...not over the top with selections, which was refreshing. Four of us dined and we each had our favorites. There was enough to appeal to everyone, but not so much that you felt over-endulged. It was expensive. Therefore, I may be inclined to consider other options next go round. Did not look at the regular menu, but assume brunch price was indicative of the regular fare. If so, I may frequent only on special occasion. That would be unfortunate, because it's a beautiful location.Special Features:
- food was good sliced beefOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013food was good sliced beef in the au jus made it a bit tougher - was great if you got it before it was drowned a bit too hot by the windows server only came around for the bill basically - but the water guy / busser he was Great! Thanks!Special Features:
- Not sure what to make of itOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/8/2013My son and I dined there. I made reservations thinking it would be busy (most restaurants are on a Friday night at 7:00 pm). We hadn't been to eat here for a couple of years, and my first impression was that the place hadn't changed at all (which surprised me since they had closed & opened to accommodate their emphasis on large groups). I'm never quite sure when they're open to the public. The menu hadn't changed at all either. The place was deserted-- just my son and I all evening. The bartender was nice, but he was on his laptop in between serving us (couldn't really blame him). The food wasn't very good, I'm afraid-- it was overcooked and perhaps had been frozen a little too long. It was a disappointment.
- The meal was cold, the favorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013The meal was cold, the favors were nothing special. I would not return, when there are so many better options in Milwaukee.
- Coast is usually a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Coast is usually a favorite of ours. We were hoping at least a portion of the regular menu would be available on Valentine's Day, it wasn't. Will dine again, but not on Valentine's Day.Special Features:
- We were there for ValentinesTyutyiDined on 2/14/2013We were there for Valentines Day- but for a Girls Night- and we were surprised that it was so empty! The food was very good and the service too! Only tiny minus - on that day they had the Valentines Menu and they didn't gave us the obvious choice of the a la carte... plus the server should know what kind of champagne he`s serving... (but maybe thats justs me being spoiled by Switzerland) Overall a wonderful night with great food- anytime again!Special Features:
- The service was ok, but theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012The service was ok, but the waiter was absent for significant periods of time. The soup was good, but everything else was horible. We each had new york strip, but I have never seen a strip with so many muscle segments and connective tissue. The need a new butcher and chef. The worst steak I have ever had.
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012I Have been outside having cocktails in the summertime but this was my first experience inside for dinner. My wife and I both enjoy great food. The combination you created and the quality delivered on a busy night was outstanding. The flavors, pairing of the wines and presentation of each dish made our dinner delightful. We have already mentioned it to several friends. We did not stay for the evening. We were hoping that the entertainment Coast booked for New Years eve would be "for us" but realistically, the piano is not a party instrument. This caused us to search for entertainment at the last minute.Special Features:
- My husband and I had a veryfoodymeDined on 12/31/2012My husband and I had a very romantic lovely dinner on New Year's Eve. We didn't know we could not order off the menu, so we had to go with the New Year's Eve menu which was very lovely. I would have preferred a choice of a filet of beef, rather than chicken which is what I ordered only because I didn't care for the other two choices. It was delicious though, and the lobster bisque was very good as well as the ceviche bar. Overall it was a very lovely experience. I look forward to going back to Coast restaurant some other time.Special Features:
- I went here to celebrate aOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/7/2012I went here to celebrate a 23rd wedding anniversary on Friday, December 7th and hoping for a quiet, romantic evening. Unfortunately there were a loud group of young children and a baby that was crying most of the night. I realize this was out of the restaurant's control but it was not pleasant. Food was excellent, service was good but seemed a bit understaffed. Restaurant was clean and decorated tastefully.Special Features:
- Had a great meal and a goodJohnDined on 10/12/2012Had a great meal and a good time. Hopefully they stay as a restaurant and not go into 100% bookingsSpecial Features:
- THe place was almost empty,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2012THe place was almost empty, in fairness it was the first night of Summerfest but I was still surprised by how empty the restaurant was including the bar. Very limited entree menu. My dining guests ordered the tenderloin filet and it was fine. I ordered the cedar plank walleye and it was dry and unremarkable. The simple selection of beer was a problem as it was cool at best and definitely not cold. I ordered my second one with a glass of ice. The wine was fine. We did not sample the deserts.
- Don't waste your money or timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012The service was very poor. There were only about 15 people in the restaurant with 3 people on the waitstaff. It took about 10 minutes until our waitress approached our table, and then didn't take orders for drinks (she said someone else would). 5 minutes later, another waitor did and then we waited another 10 minutes to actually get our drinks. It was then another 20 minutes until we ordered our entrees. The disturbing part was that other tables that had larger groups seemed to get more attentive staff than our table did. After our dinner, we requested the raspberry cheesecake. We were told that they don't carry that (even though it is on the menu) and they suggested a different cake. Overall, a very poor experience....
- We always get great food andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/13/2012We always get great food and service at Coast's Sunday Brunch. Loved the newest feature, a bottomless Bellini Bar. It was a beautifully, sunny day, which made the experience even greater. Thanks for a wonderful Mother's Day Brunch!Special Features:
- There for Mothers Day. GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012There for Mothers Day. Good selection on brunch. Service poor as far as keeping table clear. When we did need extra help it was slow in coming.Special Features:
- Service and food was excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/13/2012Service and food was excellent, highly recommended for brunch. We go every year for Mother's Day.Special Features:
- We were surprised to arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2012We were surprised to arrive with our group of 10 to a beautiful, but empty restaurant. There were only 2 other tables of diners there at 8 pm. The manager explained that it is really a catering restaurant, but they are still open to dining. The appetizers were very good. They did not have bottles of wine, but only by the glass. The menu was limited. Many of us had walleye and it did not have much taste. We would not return.Special Features:
- I am a florist who has notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2012I am a florist who has not yet used your venue. We came out to check logistics for an upcoming event. The staff was very helpful and we know the wedding flowers will only embellish the current facility. The food was outstanding and I believe we will be visiting your location again in the near future just to enjoy the food. Thanks again for your helpSpecial Features:
- Was my first time dining andOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/3/2012Was my first time dining and everything from the service to the food to ambiance was perfect!Special Features:
- Wonderful waiter and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/2/2012The waiter, John, was outstanding. He was attentive but not intrusive. He made great suggestions. Most impressive is that he did not push the most expensive item on the menu to boost the bill for his tip. One of the best waiters I have had in a long while. I will return based on this experience.Special Features:
- Was there for Valenetine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Was there for Valenetine's Day dinner. My filet was excellent but my date's fish was very bland. The desert (velvet cheesecake) didn't seem all that fresh. Gave our jackets to the coat check girl/hostess, but she was nowhere to be found when we were leaving. Was there for a company outing last year and it was excellent, but this time I was very disappointed, especially for the price ($55 per person). The meal did come with two servings of wine that was passable. May try again, but probably not anytime soon.Special Features:
- Delicious and Romantic!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012My Fiance and I went to Coast on Valentine's day and loved it. The food was some of the best we ever had. This has got to be one of the top restaurants in Milwaukee. I strongly suggest giving Coast a shot. You will want to go back!Special Features:
- Nice, but too priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012My husband and I went here for Valentine's Day and were impressed by the quiet, romantic atmosphere, friendly service, and gourmet food, however, because the price was so high, we unfortunately will not be returning.Special Features:
- New Year's Eve PartydbetlejDined on 12/31/2011We had reservations for 10PM on New Year's Eve for their special food & wine pairing dinner. The symphony pops concert ran long preventing us from arriving until almost 11PM. While food service appeared to be ending, they still accommodated us after confirmation from the manager. The food was outstanding, even if the wine choices were average at best. The new year's eve band was mediocre (did not play one slow song the total time we were there) but we had a good time in spite of it. My complements to their whole staff for being prompt and smiling on what for them is a difficult night.Special Features: