Coast Guard House
40 Ocean Road
Narragansett, RI 02882Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Coast Guard House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thecoastguardhouse.com/
- Phone: (401) 789-0700
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Summer Hours
Lunch: Deck Only Weather Permitting
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm – 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar open till 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Angel Cardona & Raymond Montaquila
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us directly for a special event or wedding information.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 4017890700x
- Entertainment: Tribeca on the deck 3- 7pm on Mondays
Mac Odom on the deck 3-7pm on Wednesdays
A word from Coast Guard House
Originally a historic US Coast Guard Station built in 1888 by famed architects McKim, Mead & White, now a spectacularly located waterfront restaurant overlooking Narragansett Bay. Offering an array of creative dishes from lobster & sweet corn tamale, lobster ravioli, grilled swordfish, crab mac & cheese, & organic chicken; we supporting all aspects of sustainable agriculture and aquaculture. We use local farms when possible and source produce for quality and sustainability. Our seafood is sourced from purveyors that are dedicated to locating species from areas that produce the best tasting and highest quality seafood available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coast Guard House reviews from OpenTable diners
3 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (3)scenic view (3)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)fit for foodies (1)good for groups (1)neighborhood gem (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- FantasticLiza9184Dined on 8/15/2014Beautifully redone!!! Food, service, and view was perfection! We can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TonyDined on 8/3/2014The Coast Guard restaurant is an institution in Narragansett, and though we have been here before never dined at this restaurant. Off course the ambience and view is to die for, updated interior was modern and comfortable. The menus was varied and prices reasonable. Great serviceSpecial Features:
- The following 93 reviews are from the Coast Guard House reviews archive.
- Great updateDeniseDined on 7/23/2014The food was excellent. I had scallops and the person I was with had salmon. Both were outstanding. The wine was very nice and the restaurant was lively and had a nice upbeat vibe. The wait staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and having a good time. I like how the interior has been updated - very classy!Special Features:
- Great ViewswhrileyjrDined on 7/23/2014We went to the Coast Guard House when it reopened after Hurricane Sandy. The view was great and the food very good. The service was excellent. We would go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining with a viewNodineDined on 7/22/2014Great view of the ocean while dining on good food..we enjoyed the new decor. Nice to have valet parking in such a busy area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice eveningTman24Dined on 7/21/2014Had a great seat and a great meal. The place has an awesome view and the food was awesome.Special Features:
- will give it another trychipDined on 7/20/2014Couldn't wait for the coast Guard House to open - they did a wonderful job!! Not sure about the kitchen - over priced in our opinion. We ordered swordfish which unfortunately was very dry. We also ordered bok choy and brussel sprouts. To our amazement there were 4 pieces in each dish - thought $6 for each dish was just way over the top for no real vegetable. The tip calculator was also interesting. The tax was part of the amount used to calculated the tip !! We know the Coast Guard House should be better than our experience. We will give it one more try and hopefully have a better review next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- welcome back coast guard houseCLNYVIPDined on 7/19/2014Closed for a long time due to hurracane sandy, back in a grand fashion. food and service were great my appertizer of lamb chops with a mint seasonig and my entree of roasted monk fish were superb as were my guests meals also. glad to have restaurant backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautifuljmelDined on 7/19/2014They have done a fantastic job with the remodeling after the hurricane. The view is not like any other in the area. The food was spectacular and the service was excellent. I have eaten inside in the dining room and outside on the deck. Their pasta is homemade, the lobster was in generous proportions and the sides were good.Special Features:
- Great all around...hope itsPORTAUKIDined on 10/27/2012Great all around...hope its still standing after the hurricane!Special Features:
- Maybe not for a romantic evening.zen4foodVIPDined on 10/20/2012We had a special evening planned and requested a window seat. We were seated next to a bus station/bar serve area. When we first arrived we had requestd a window seat again. The hostess said they were full and first come first serve, without seeing how quickly they would be vacated. Before we received our first glass of wine three tables were vacated and we were not asked if we would like to move. We spent a lot of money on wine and food and felt a little disappointed. We did not tell our excellent waiter,Chris,of our desire to have a window seat feeling it was the hostess responsibility to assure that patrons were seated at requested tables as soon as they were available. So if you have a special evening planned.this may not be the bestSpecial Features:
- Having now dined here a numberOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2012Having now dined here a number of times, this place consistently delivers. Attentive waitstaff, very good food in a comfortable dining room. A very solid choice!
- been here a few times in thechipDined on 10/18/2012been here a few times in the past few years - but the service and food are MUCH MUCH better! actually pretty terrificSpecial Features:
- We wanted a picturesque localratenightoutDined on 10/13/2012We wanted a picturesque local restaurant and this did not disappoint. Our table looked over the water, and we even had some fisherman to watch while we dined. We loved it!Special Features:
- Great Coastal RI Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012The meal-both food and service-was absolutely outstanding! We were there exactly 30 years ago and also had a good experience back then. I also appreciate the wine list, which was neither too large nor too small.Special Features:
- Ordered pasta with LittleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/2/2012Ordered pasta with Little Neck clams. Clams were very large.and very chewy, certainly not little necks. Nor what you would expect from a good restaurant.We had our college grand daughter and did not want to ruin the evening by complaining so we just paid the bill and left. Interestingly we were never asked by our waiter or staff member if we enjoyed our food.The view is wonderful.
- If you do not mind a highRichSDined on 9/26/2012If you do not mind a high noise level this is a great place. Everyone is well-behaved, but the closer to the bar you sit the harder it is to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Our meals were delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012Our meals were delicious. I had the Chicken Franchaise and my wife had the Shellfish Arrabiata. To top off the experience the ocean view is fantastic and our server was top notch. I if you’ve never been I’d recommend you try it before it closes for the season!Special Features:
- The ambiance of the restaurantTravlchik5Dined on 9/15/2012The ambiance of the restaurant was good. Dinner overall was fantastic and had a good experience. There were plenty of options and the specials made it even better. There were somethings that were odd to us, no spoon came with the pasta dishes and once the water glasses were empty, we did not get a refill until 3/4 of the way through dinner. Overall the service was just okay but we would recommend this place for dinner if you are in the Narragansett area.Special Features:
- The food was excellent, weOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2012The food was excellent, we loved the shrimp bruschetta appetizer. My husband had the sesame crusted tuna, which he enjoyed. I had the seafood medley (lobster, scallops and shrimp) over pasta in a tomato puttanesca sauce was delicious with plently left over. The wait staff was helpful and friendly and you can't beat the ocean views!Special Features:
- Unfortunately Hurricane SandyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2012Unfortunately Hurricane Sandy destroyed this gem, but I hear they are rebuilding. I had a wonderful experience there from the food to the view. This was the best choice I have ever made for my sister;s birthdaySpecial Features:
- Food was excellent, properSunshineDined on 9/5/2012Food was excellent, proper portions, and well presented Dining area was a bit noisy even being after the Labor Day holiday We were a group of 5, we were there to each taste some of the food with the possibility of making dinner reservations for our son's URI graduation in May 2013 Being from Pa. we tried local beers and seafood; red drum fish was something none of us had tried, all loved it Lobster " Ravs."melted in your mouth Scallops: fresh and very tender Pasta special's sauce was outstanding; creamy yet light N.Y. strip steak had a wonderful flavor I wouldn't hesitate to bring mom,dad, grandma & pa Dress attire casual or dressy which ever you prefer Didn't get to see the outside decks due to rainy weather that daySpecial Features:
- This restaurant is a find,dancingfoodieVIPDined on 9/3/2012This restaurant is a find, in an old stone building overlooking the water, surf pounding on rocks. It has an active bar scene, not-too-noisy restaurant. The service was good, but could have been more attentive. The menu has several good choices of local seafood, plus fowl and meat to satisfy anyone. Salads are especially outstanding and the food is very good overall.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant! One ofOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2012Amazing restaurant! One of the best I've Ever been to!Special Features:
- Amazing view, great food!FineDinerVIPDined on 9/3/2012We would definitely return. The view was incredible and they granted my request for a table by the window. Fried calamari, mussels and the short rib dumplings were delicious appetizers. My daughter and my mother raved about the Red Drum fish. I loved my lobster ravioli. Desserts were great too.Special Features:
- The location of this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2012The location of this restaurant is spectacular, right next to the landmark bridge that overlooks Narragansett Beach. As far as service, we had a party of seven and we were placed in a separate room, which at first seemed like a nice gesture, until we realized our servers had forgotten about us several times. The whole meal took three hours and we didn't get any drink refills or place any orders without first having to flag someone down. When we finally did get our food, half of us were satisfied and half were disappointed, which just about summed up our entire evening. We were happy with the location but the lack of service and lack-luster food caused us to leave wishing we had chosen a different restaurant for dinner.Special Features:
- RecommendOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/1/2012Beautiful views since it is right on the water. The food($16-$25)and specialty drinks ($11) were very good and so was the service. The feel is dressy-casual to dressy but some people prefer to think every place is casual these days and that's unfortunate. There was a party (wedding reception?) upstairs where there's a long deck with bar and a small dance 'club') which did take away from the evening but overall a really nice place.Special Features:
- Stunning view, attentive staff,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2012Stunning view, attentive staff, nice menu, excellent special additions. Highly recommended. We will be back.Special Features:
- We will not go back. I hadReneePVIPDined on 8/25/2012We will not go back. I had never been and requested an outdoor table. The point of driving there was to enjoy the view. We got forgotten at the bar. The bar is right across from the check in area. We waited 40 minutes after we were told we had a 10 minute wait. My husband had to go over to see the hold up. Our waiter was personable but not attentive. We never got asked to order additional drinks and we had to grab him to get me a spoon so I could eat my chowder. It was delivered sans spoon. The food was ok. Not a fun experience. A sad tourist place and we will not recommend it to anyone. I have never had a simple request ignored before by any restaurant.Special Features:
- My first time at Coast GuardGastronautDined on 8/25/2012My first time at Coast Guard House was wonderful; the place was beautiful, and the view was fantastic. It can probably serve as a great bar scene, but I wouldn't know! Coast Guard House did an excellent job of separating the elegant dinner venue from the energetic bar scene upstairs on the deck, and I didn't have any hint that there was a bar scene there! The menu was exciting, interesting, and very tasty! My only qualm was that, while the waiter had a great personality, we did have to wait for him a while on multiple occasions -- but to be fair, it was a busy Saturday night. With that said, an overall fantastic experience. I can't wait to go again -- and maybe check out the deck!Special Features:
- Great food, awesome service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012Great food, awesome service. Don't remember his name but he attends Iona College in New York. Right on Narrangansett Bay, which really is the Atlantic.So a tremendous view.Special Features:
- We went here for our daughtersWheaton14Dined on 8/24/2012We went here for our daughters 21st birthday...food was very good and interesting! Service was pleasant and accomadating...our waiter was a bit flat and we wished he had a little more personality...but he was pleasant...the ambiance was outstanding...a view to die for!!! It was a memorable evening for all!Special Features:
- We celebrated our 39 weddingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012We celebrated our 39 wedding anniversary at the rest. and I expected a complementary food offering or drink. We left with our anniversary never being mentioned - not very good customer service/attention.Special Features:
- The CGH is on a beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2012The CGH is on a beautiful spot right on the Narragansett Bay, the view is unbeatable! Our waiter was great and every recommendation was perfect. Considering the location and the quality of both the food and service the prices were great too! We will definitely be back and recommending it to our friends!Special Features:
- Nice views, food not nearly as niceBrianVIPDined on 8/18/2012Great views and nice atmosphere but food was overpriced and very mediocre at best. My husband and I both ordered the dinner special, pasta with seafood in a pesto sauce. I was shocked when the bill arrived and it was $29.00!!! We both left hungry and the pasta was very bland. We did enjoy the views, the service, and the bar drinks were great. They need to improve the food and this could be a great restaurant. Would not go back for dinner. Maybe a pre-dinner drink then dine elsewhere!Special Features:
- went for a romantic eveningdsalisburyDined on 8/16/2012went for a romantic evening with my husband. We were seated at a large two-top a little too close to the table next to us, but the view was pretty. My husband's Hangar steak dish with leeks and brussel sprouts was fantastic, I had the lobster ravioli which was packed with lobster but the pasta for the ravioli was too thick, sauce a bit rich for me. Overall a very nice evening.
- We truly enjoyed the entireB2lunchVIPDined on 8/12/2012We truly enjoyed the entire Sunday Brunch experience. The food selection was great and of course, the ocean view is fantastic. Thank you to ALL at the Coast Guard House.Special Features:
- We went to the Coast GuardGrasshopper147Dined on 8/11/2012We went to the Coast Guard House for our anniversary and had a spectacular evening...fantastic apps, dinner specials and deserts, followed by drinks at the Piano Bar.Special Features:
- Great view, great food, greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/11/2012Great view, great food, great service. We were seated next to a table of 10 so noise level was higher than normal.Special Features:
- Rebecca was our server..sheOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012Rebecca was our server..she had a great sense of humor and provided great service. She made the experience most pleasurable.Special Features: