227 Water Street
Excelsior, MN 55331Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coalitionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9522831952x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-4;00pm
Dinner, Monday-Thursday: 4:00p,-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Eli Wollenzien
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Coalition
Coalition Restaurant combines an inspired menu with a casually sophisticated setting in a historic downtown Excelsior main street building. The menu takes its inspiration from classic American dishes like beef, lamb, pork and walleye, creatively prepared, vibrantly presented, and influenced by cuisines around the world reflecting the global, sophisticated, expanded palates of today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Coalition - Best Restaurants in Excelsior ›
Coalition reviews from OpenTable diners
226 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (141)fit for foodies (131)special occasion (59)hot spot (55)romantic (50)great for lunch (48)great for outdoor dining (27)vibrant bar scene (25)good for groups (23)notable wine list (22)late-night find (10)great for brunch (5)scenic view (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Enjoyable evening with my familyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/17/2014I recently brought my uncle and his wife, along with my family of five, to Coalition for dinner. The service was hospitable and the atmosphere was lovely. The food was excellent, with one minor exception, which was dealt with promptly and kindly by the waitress and manager on duty. We have eaten at Coalition for lunch and dinner multiple times with both large and small groups. We have enjoyed each experience. I highly recommend Coalition to anyone (just make a reservation for large parties in advance). We are so glad to have this gem of a restaurant in Excelsior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJeatsVIPDined on 9/15/2014This was my second time in a week that I had the great pleasure of a meal/lunch at Coalition. What a marvelous spot. The food is the star here & the service is second to none. Everyone is friendly without overdoing and the preparation, flavor, imaginative cuisine makes this restaurant a marvelous addition to the west suburbs finally. It's not a sports bar with TV's everywhere but I ate the very best burger there I've ever had! The bison burger. Amazing flavor with a delicious bun & the fries are the kind I dream about. Hand cut, flavorful...just delicious. But everything I've ordered is delicious including the chicken and biscuits, brussels sprouts & their version of a BLT with avocado on amazing bread. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Upside/DownsideColliecookhuhDined on 9/13/2014Four us went on a Saturday night-the place was hopping. I felt bad for the patrons who had tables near the door. No space and people surrounded them. Ick. Our table was fine and we were greeted by a server filling up the water. Our waitress arrived and the attitude she had was off putting. Kind of tossed the menus and drink menu on our table & asked what we'd like to drink. Perhaps a moment? That set up our night with her-flippant, would take our order-forgot half-need to ask again. Write it down! The walleye ordered by two of us was great. The chicken looked ok-not a great presentation. My spouse had the ribeye and said it was pretty good. Dessert & drinks were an afterthought for our waitress. Half of us got one. Strange behavior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 9/12/2014Great food; server was very helpful, friendly--even a bit entertaining. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedHungryTravellerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was great, server very attentive despite being very crowded. Everything was reasonably priced and delicious. The house wine was very good and vegetable special of broccoli and cheese curds was a favorite at the table. We took a client and I will definitely be back with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisySusanDined on 9/9/2014Packed with people and very load. Not great for a business lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Disappointing. Another restaurant trying to be upscale and failing miserably. It would be great if a restaurant could focus on simply making consistently good food. And if only the servers could use some common sense: don't serve the plate if half the entree and most of the garnish is charred.
- Improvements needed.dddddddddddddDined on 9/6/2014Seafood Pasta was good. but looked like a luncheon size...this was an evening meal. Steak sandwich was small but also good. I would suggest putting the size steak on the menu....it included a very small salad. Blue cheese dressing tasted good but had very minimal blue cheese. Service was good but inconsistent at times. Water not filled for lengths of time....it was my beverage. Once I was finished with my entrée, someone should remove plate....it took a long time. Consider adding white tablecloths. Window seating comments: stools are very slippery and uncomfortable especially without a back. We welcome the new restaurant, only open since mid-June. I know you will improve with suggestions. We will try you again later. Best wishes!
- Always SO GOOD!!!InTheLightsDined on 9/6/2014We shared meals; initially insisting that each of us sample the delicious meal in front of us, eventually stealing bites off of plates! It was my parents first visit and they were both extremely happy with their meals: halibut and walleye. Our desserts were decadent! Had we not been in public, I'm positive we'd have licked our plates clean. Always consistent, delicious and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Surprise!JimLDined on 9/6/2014We've dined at this location in the past when it was Bella, which we loved. The new restaurant Coalition is even better -- delicious food, a creative presentation and warm atmosphere made this a great surprise.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodItalianDined on 9/5/2014Great presentation and tasty food. Lovely ambience, but music was a bit loud, which made conversations louder and difficult to hear. Crowded space, however, we will definitely go again, as the food was the best we've had in Excelsior, or anywhere around Lake Minnetonka or the Metro area. Highly Recommend.Special Features:
- birthday lunchenjoyyourfoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was my third visit. Food was wonderful. I had the Bibb lettuce salad with watermelon. The flavors are bright and the fresh produce is the star. I added shrimp that were done to perfection. My friend had the chicken and biscuit sandwich w/coleslaw. It was a hearty portion and tasty. It was a Friday and very busy but our server did not rush us and was attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise find!jdfoodieDined on 8/31/2014This is one of the better new restaurants we have found. Stumbled across the Coalition for lunch one Sunday and decided to come back for our anniversary. Great food and the servers were all friendly and seemed to be enjoying their evening as well. Makes me hungry just thinking about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodreviewerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding service. Table was ready when we arrived at 7:45 p.m. Attentive servers with good coordination from the entire service team. Lamb with pasta was excellent. Three of us ordered fish. Halibut, walleye & salmon were all very good. The grilled pound cake with fresh strawberries was a nice dessert to share. Great first impression and we will go back.
- Sidewalk lunchEyeHepDined on 8/30/2014On a warm summer day in Excelsior, you couldn't pick a nicer spot for lunch and people watching. The service was attentive and the food was pretty amazing. I loved the roasted chicken. The rhubarb martini is well worth a sip as well.Special Features:
- Excelsior just keeps getting betterbobdubDined on 8/28/2014We had a reservation at 8pm. As we walked in at 8:02 they were giving our table away. Other than that it was very good. Great atmosphere but very loud. Had the steak sandwich and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, fresh foodMidwesternMomDined on 8/27/2014We made reservations but needed to wait for a table outside, Sally the hostess took great care of us while we waited. Our party of 3 ordered the pea bruschetta to start and it was very good. Two of us ordered the halibut and one the walleye - we all enjoyed our meals. We split a dessert (chocolate brownie something) and it was good but pretty average. Plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.gr8foodVIPDined on 8/26/2014We enjoyed our dinner very much. The fresh corn salad was a treat. Thanks for dividing it for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014Fun location on Main Street Excelsior. Started with the mussels, broth was great. Some had steak, some had the roasted chicken ....everyone was happy. One thought this was the best food he has had out in ages!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Food.MeganVIPDined on 8/23/20144 of us went to dinner at Coalition on Saturday night. I was pleasantly surprised that our table was ready for us right away, that doesn't always happen when going out to dinner - especially on a Saturday night. 2 from our group got the chicken and absolutely raved about it. I got the salmon and the lemon cream sauce made the dish! It was served with brussel sprouts and some small potatoes, I really enjoyed it. We also had really great cocktails. The area was loud but not unbearable. It's great to have a more upscale restaurant in Excelsior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/23/2014Way too much noise. Unbearable. Couldn't talk with the couple with us. Glad to get out of the restaurant after eating. Won't go back on a weekend for sure. When it was Bielas, went there a lot. Also, too crowded. Tables jammed together. Steak sandwich is excellent. But not good enough to bring us back to endure to noise level.
- Great new spotkatiemarieDined on 8/22/2014Great for foodie girl night or cozy date night. Great food! Reasonably priced, but creative cocktails!Special Features:
- Really great drinks & foodjenmenkeDined on 8/22/2014We were sad when Biella closed and have eagerly awaited the new Coalition opening. We loved it! We tried several items. Of note were the mussels, the spinach salad (with the add of $7 steak, it was hands-away the best value. It was quite large, plus the steak was even better than the flat iron which cost double) and the drinks. Highly recommend the mule and -- i can't remember the name of it... the Coda? -- it was a mint and cucumber/vodka drink. Ridiculously good. We scored an outdoor table on a beautiful night. It was magical.Special Features:
- Good food but noisyGrimmeisterDined on 8/21/2014Five of us went here after Ladies Night Out. The hostess was very pleasant and our table was ready when we arrived. Our server was persistent but not so that she was intrusive. All of our meals arrived at the same time and the servers knew exactly who had what meal. (It always irritates me when servers come to the table and shouts out "who had the xyz". Not so here). The food and drinks were very good and reasonably priced. My only complaint was the noise level which could have been partly because we were seated near the back of the restaurant. It was really hard to hear the other guests. When the server came back with our charge cards, again she knew exactly whose was whose. I'd come again but maybe try to sit more toward the front.Special Features:
- Nice Meal at CoalitiondebbiebDined on 8/20/2014The restaurant provided us great service, great food and has a very energetic environment. The only notes to make are if you have more than about 6 people in a group, it is hard for them to do decent seating as they are smaller and trying to get as many in as they can. We had a group of 8 and to fit us, our tables were side to side touching a table with a group of 6, so felt like our groups were mixed. Keep it to smaller groups or go with 14 :). In addition, it is a loud room, so if you want a quiet, romantic dinner you are better off elsewhere or come at 5PM before it fills up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to Water St.3eateroutVIPDined on 8/20/2014Coalition is off to a great start, with their attractive remodeled interior & the interesting & locally sourced menu. We had lunch outside on the sidewalk. We would definitely go back & try dinner. The food is modern but not weird.Special Features:
- Lakeside winnerIrishgirlDined on 8/19/2014Our first visit to Excelsior's new Coalition was an enjoyable experience. The menu had a variety of creative choices. We tried the burratta with rhubarb pepper jam asparagus and prosciutto which was great. The favorite fish was the warm spinach salad with roasted potatoes green beans and whole grain mustard dressing. Our walleye shore lunch seemed perfect for a lakeside meal. The service coulldn't have been better and the chef checked in with us to see what we thought. The noise level is high so maybe next time we might sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleased indeedParkCityVisitorDined on 8/16/2014This restaurant is a fantastic addition to downtown Excelsior. I love that the menu incorporates very approachable burgers made w fine ingredients as well as some other plates such as halibut and lamb sugo. The lamb sugo was very tasty and the pasta perfect - don't miss on the fingerling potatoes and the chicken wings. Which by the way could be ordered as a meal themselves perhaps with another side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 8-16-14OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Date night-dined outside. We had the Lamb Sugo and the Pork. Both dishes were good but not fantastic. The portion for the pork was fine but the serving size of the Lamb Sugo was small. Another restaurant with B level food, at high prices, so the value is medium.
- Great new place in ExcelsiorWestsidefoodieDined on 8/15/2014Celebrated our anniversary on Coalition. Great service was matched with great food and a relaxing atmosphere. We asked to see the chef to personally compliment him on the meals, veal pasta dish and ribeye were both perfect. Great ambiance and easy location. Will be returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lost OpportunitynotimpressedDined on 8/15/2014I was excited to experience Coalition for the first time with a foodie friend of mine who used to be a wine rep. I asked for a table outside but they did not reserve one for us out there. The acoustics of the indoor dining is really loud, but we did have a nice table at the window. The waitress was very friendly but service was slow. Luckily we were in no hurry and had PLENTY of time to chat. My friend liked what she chose, but mine was average. I would have thought that a new restaurant trying to make a good first impression would pull out all the stops and make the experience over the top, especially for an Excelsior local who would potentially be dining there year round. I have no huge desire to return. Did not see the value.
- great food, but.......chaoticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/20147:45pm reservation on a wednesday. confusing entrance with no hostess station. when hostess found her iPad, she seated us promptly. many people just milling around inside front door waiting. it took the server a bit of time to make contact. when he did, he was knowledgeable and friendly. wife got the very good sally's cosmo. food came promptly - i had steak sandwich (possibly the best i have ever had) and wife got spinach salad with chicken (this was also excellent). server forgot my daughter's french fries, and then brought them when we were almost done. he accepted total responsibility and comped them on the bill. the staff was overmatched for the full crowd. the servers were also bussing tables. extremely noisy.Special Features:
- Tough Meat - Disgruntled ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/13/2014Arrived at 5:30 on a weeknight in a good mood. Server was not. Attempted pleasantries by us failed. We were sorry if she had life troubles. Ordered the chicken wings - they were very good; nice spice to them. The pork loin was tough as well as the flank steak (which can be anyway). Brussel sprouts and carrots were undercooked and hard. The seasonings were good, though. The location was convenient so we thought we would try it. Not sure if we would go back.
- Celebrated at CoalitionMsgundyDined on 8/10/2014a great addition to the restaurants in Excelsior, very fresh food, delicious combinations of ingredients, mostly reasonable prices. a little noisy.Special Features:
- i wouldnt recomnend this placejonkitchensideDined on 8/10/2014I enjoy so many restaurants in the Minneapolis area. I enjoy so many things, but my main thing I enjoy is always the food. Coalition is a average price to a little above average. Though the food was probably a .5 out of 10. Most terrible and poorly cooked food at any decent establishment in Minnesota. No flavor to the food I think a spice jar didn't make it into there kitchen when we were there. We had tasted all the fish entrees and each one was over cooked and the quality of the fish was poor at best. 1 thing working decently for coalition was the atmosphere and servers. I had to cook when I got home though. As the meal couldn't be eaten at coalition
- you can do betterIlovetoeatgoodfoodVIPDined on 8/9/2014The server recommended the pork so my husband had that and I had the chicken. The pork was really dry. They offered something else so he asked for the chicken which they said would be another 15 minutes or so. I finished my meal and his finally arrived. They did not comp his meal after the problem and subsequent wait nor did they offer to take off dessert. We did call the manager over and she did take off the dessert but that was disappointing to have to ask and is all they did. The server either isn't empowered to take care of issues or lacks experience in how to handle problems. There are a lot of options for restaurants in the western suburbs and this isn't even close to GREAT food or GREAT service we have received elsewhere.Special Features:
- Coalition .HeidiHoDined on 8/9/2014The food was good, some unique preparations. The lamb sugo was hearty, great pasta, tender lamb but unimaginative sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Special occasion was noted in Open Table but not acknowledged by the server/restaurant. Server brought bread to every table abour us but not to us; when we mentioned that when closing out orucheck, the server grudgingly apologized and asked if we wanted bread to take home--how absured!Special Features:
- CoalitionCocoDined on 8/8/2014Very noisy, hard to talk and hear. Did not like seating arrangement. High and low tables felt awkward. My Martini came with out olives or a twist and was not real cold. Staff was very pleasant and food was OK but waited a long time between salad and main course. We were not offered bread or anything during the wait period. we like the bar area better than the main area. We will try again in the winter when they be less busySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/8/2014Food at Coalition was decent enough but the service was unbelievably poor. Generally speaking, the service was slow and unknowledgeable on both the food and wine menus, which by itself wouldn't normally have been a huge issue. Beyond that though, my wife was served halibut when she order salmon. When this was pointed out to the server, she emphatically stated that the white fish my wife was served was indeed salmon and that was just how they cooked it, and that perhaps the low lighting was to blame for it looking the way it did. For my meal, I ordered chicken which was served with a tostada, which a separate server delivered with her bare hand, needless to say, I didn't try it. I live 1/2 mile from Coalition but will not go back.