227 Water Street
Excelsior, MN 55331Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coalitionrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 9522831952x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am-4;00pm
Dinner, Monday-Thursday: 4:00p,-10:00pm, Friday-Saturday: 4:00pm-11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Eli Wollenzien
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Coalition
Coalition Restaurant combines an inspired menu with a casually sophisticated setting in a historic downtown Excelsior main street building. The menu takes its inspiration from classic American dishes like beef, lamb, pork and walleye, creatively prepared, vibrantly presented, and influenced by cuisines around the world reflecting the global, sophisticated, expanded palates of today.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Coalition - Best Restaurants in Excelsior ›
Coalition reviews from OpenTable diners
263 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (174)fit for foodies (160)special occasion (70)hot spot (63)great for lunch (56)romantic (55)good for groups (33)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (28)vibrant bar scene (25)late-night find (12)scenic view (6)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Try too hardOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014Salads were delicious and fresh. The mussels and seafood risotto flavors were overwhelmed by the spices. The pound cake tasted like smoke. The wine selection was excellent.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemfabfoodDined on 10/18/2014If you live near or are visiting Excelsior, you'll want to check this spot out. The food is organic, locally sourced and delicious and the ambience and staff are great.Special Features:
- farm to tablefrogDined on 10/17/2014Great menu. Liked seeing where food comes from. Food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodloverDined on 10/17/2014I grew up five blocks south of this restaurant and booked a table for a small reunion with my brother and sister, both from out of state, on a whim. We toured the neighborhood and ended with the most fabulous meals ever! Great food, great service, and I'm going back for more as often as I can!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014I had a mixed reaction to your restaurant because I had pork and it was tough and cold as did my business partner. My mother had an excellent steak but the salad had a strong vinegar taste and the vegetable was bland. The noise level made it very difficult to have a good conversation which I had hoped to have because my business partner is from Brazil and we had things to discuss over dinner. I know you are new to the area and it takes time to improve things; therefore, my comments.Special Features:
- WldoneDined on 10/17/2014Good food and service in a lovely intimate restaurant setting. Definitely recommend this new spot in downtown Excelsior.Special Features:
- Oh4AParOh4AParDined on 10/17/2014I met a long-time friend here for lunch. We really were more interested in talking than eating. However, it was hard to avoid the wonderful homemade wild rice/mushroom soup and the delicious sandwiches on focaccia . Our waitress Marley was wonderful and respected our table space. It was a very nice experience and perfect for our lunch and conversation,Special Features:
- NancyDined on 10/11/2014Our table was ready when we arrived; waiting line outside! Great food;; great server. We'll be back....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still thinking about my meal!3fordinnerDined on 10/10/2014We had wanted to go to Coalition since it opened and finally had the chance. It truly was everything we expected and more! The Hostess is lovely and makes every guest feel like family. The setting has a cool vibe to it with a small but nice conversational bar. The menu is a little small but no need for it to be large as everything on it is amazing. My husband had Lamb it was done perfectly! Our son had the Flat Iron steak he loved it and I had the Salmon so yummy.The only downfall of the night was the waiter. We could tell he was not pleased we were a table of 3 not 4 and that my 14 year old son was with us. For desert we had the Grilled pound cake it was over the top great . I would recommend this restaurant and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TacketDined on 10/8/2014This is an excellent, small neighborhood restaurant in the heart of Excelsior. The food is very good - but, honestly, it is way, way too noisy. Lots of restaurants are noisy - but this is at the top of the list. By the time we left - the four of us were hoarse and our throats hurt. This really detracts from the enjoyment of going out. I will not go back to eat inside - I will only go back in the summer to eat outside. Also, our waitress could not describe some of the entrees very well - and I don't think she was new - she was just bored with her job......Special Features:
- Nice urban setting.foodieDined on 10/5/2014Fun urban setting for dinner. Quiet eating for a Sunday night. Great apple brie salad. Menu items are well prepared, good presentation. I would go there again for a nice restaurant in the SW suburbs with an urban feel and food experience without having to drive into Minneapolis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date NightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014My wife and I went out for a bite. Great experience!!! Fantastic tasting entrees and the buffalo wings are in the top 3 I have ever had. We will certainly be returning!!!Special Features:
- Not overly impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Unfortunately there were not any vegan options for my husband. He ordered the side of asparagus because the menu said it had quinoa and he was hoping to get some protein. However, the quinoa was hard to find on the plate. It was our first time dining at Coalition and when I made the reservations I stated that fact. We were disappointed to be sat at the worst table in the restaurant. There was another table one foot away from us. We were also given an incompetent server. I later discovered that she was basically told that night that she was going to serve for the first time instead of busing. Poor management in my opinion, to send an untrained server out on the floor for the first time on a Saturday night during the dinner rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShellyKDined on 10/3/2014Great dining experience if you don't want to drive into the city. Love the atmosphere & service is always good.Special Features:
- Visit to CoalitionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014We had wanted to try Coalition since it opened. It is really loud, but I don't think that can be fixed given that it is such a small space. The food was good. I felt like they might of used the same sauce on my potatoes as they did on my sprouts and that was a little too much. I also felt the halibut was dry, but not terribly. Other menu items that went by looked great and my husband loved the chicken. I will be excited to see the changes for the Fall. We met the Chef/Owner and he is a great guy with lots of experience. His love for the restaurant will make the place a success.Special Features:
- BEST DINNER EVEROpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014I thought the food was one of the top 5 BEST Meals of my life! LOVED!Special Features:
- Girls nite outHawaiianGirlDined on 10/2/2014Food presentation nice, food good, different. Everyone was very nice.Special Features:
- Fit58Dined on 10/2/2014Love the lighting and the ambiance,. The hostess and the serving staff were friendly and helpful. We had red wine, mussels and the charred corn salad with chicken. All were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun local experiencetonkadinerDined on 9/25/2014Perfect for excelsior but remember to get a reservation - the place is very popular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HughDined on 9/24/2014A very good experience. , we will certainly go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and feel, stiff serviceBrewingCoupleDined on 9/23/2014I will start by saying that my wife and I had a great time at Coalition. The cocktails are very well made and well balanced. The appetizers were very good (the broth that comes with the mussels was outstanding), and the entrees were spot on. The only comment I would have to be a negative is that our waitress was very stiff. She was not unprofessional or rude, but just very matter of fact. No smiles, no chit chat, nothing of the sort. If we had gotten a more personable server, I would give them 5 stars. I will definitely be returning, but I will be hoping for a different waitress.Special Features:
- HomecookDined on 9/20/2014Food, wine and service were great. Space can be loud which can run the gamit from energetic to overwhelming. More soft surfaces could help. Waitrons uniform should be consistent with upscale casual feel of the space, food and price point. This is not a western or burger themed venue. Get rid of the jeans and ill-fitting shirts. Consider black pants, shirts and long aprons. This really bugged me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Way too loud for dinner. More suitable for a bar atmosphere.
- foodieDined on 9/19/2014The food was terrific! The noise level was very loud, and it made it difficult to carry a conversation. I think it would be a great lunch place, the lunch prices seem reasonable. We will definitely try it again.Special Features:
- tastyluv2dineDined on 9/18/2014This was my second time eating here The food is excellent and the menu descries the food so you know what you are getting The one thing missing on dinner menu is having a sandwich for vegetarians Also booked reservation thru open table but unfortunately didn't show n their tabletSpecial Features:
- Enjoyable evening with my familySafflowerDined on 9/17/2014I recently brought my uncle and his wife, along with my family of five, to Coalition for dinner. The service was hospitable and the atmosphere was lovely. The food was excellent, with one minor exception, which was dealt with promptly and kindly by the waitress and manager on duty. We have eaten at Coalition for lunch and dinner multiple times with both large and small groups. We have enjoyed each experience. I highly recommend Coalition to anyone (just make a reservation for large parties in advance). We are so glad to have this gem of a restaurant in Excelsior!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticJeatsVIPDined on 9/15/2014This was my second time in a week that I had the great pleasure of a meal/lunch at Coalition. What a marvelous spot. The food is the star here & the service is second to none. Everyone is friendly without overdoing and the preparation, flavor, imaginative cuisine makes this restaurant a marvelous addition to the west suburbs finally. It's not a sports bar with TV's everywhere but I ate the very best burger there I've ever had! The bison burger. Amazing flavor with a delicious bun & the fries are the kind I dream about. Hand cut, flavorful...just delicious. But everything I've ordered is delicious including the chicken and biscuits, brussels sprouts & their version of a BLT with avocado on amazing bread. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Upside/DownsideColliecookhuhDined on 9/13/2014Four us went on a Saturday night-the place was hopping. I felt bad for the patrons who had tables near the door. No space and people surrounded them. Ick. Our table was fine and we were greeted by a server filling up the water. Our waitress arrived and the attitude she had was off putting. Kind of tossed the menus and drink menu on our table & asked what we'd like to drink. Perhaps a moment? That set up our night with her-flippant, would take our order-forgot half-need to ask again. Write it down! The walleye ordered by two of us was great. The chicken looked ok-not a great presentation. My spouse had the ribeye and said it was pretty good. Dessert & drinks were an afterthought for our waitress. Half of us got one. Strange behavior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NancyDined on 9/12/2014Great food; server was very helpful, friendly--even a bit entertaining. Definitely will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedHungryTravellerVIPDined on 9/11/2014The food was great, server very attentive despite being very crowded. Everything was reasonably priced and delicious. The house wine was very good and vegetable special of broccoli and cheese curds was a favorite at the table. We took a client and I will definitely be back with my husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisySusanDined on 9/9/2014Packed with people and very load. Not great for a business lunch.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2014Disappointing. Another restaurant trying to be upscale and failing miserably. It would be great if a restaurant could focus on simply making consistently good food. And if only the servers could use some common sense: don't serve the plate if half the entree and most of the garnish is charred.
- Improvements needed.dddddddddddddDined on 9/6/2014Seafood Pasta was good. but looked like a luncheon size...this was an evening meal. Steak sandwich was small but also good. I would suggest putting the size steak on the menu....it included a very small salad. Blue cheese dressing tasted good but had very minimal blue cheese. Service was good but inconsistent at times. Water not filled for lengths of time....it was my beverage. Once I was finished with my entrée, someone should remove plate....it took a long time. Consider adding white tablecloths. Window seating comments: stools are very slippery and uncomfortable especially without a back. We welcome the new restaurant, only open since mid-June. I know you will improve with suggestions. We will try you again later. Best wishes!
- Always SO GOOD!!!InTheLightsDined on 9/6/2014We shared meals; initially insisting that each of us sample the delicious meal in front of us, eventually stealing bites off of plates! It was my parents first visit and they were both extremely happy with their meals: halibut and walleye. Our desserts were decadent! Had we not been in public, I'm positive we'd have licked our plates clean. Always consistent, delicious and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Surprise!JimLVIPDined on 9/6/2014We've dined at this location in the past when it was Bella, which we loved. The new restaurant Coalition is even better -- delicious food, a creative presentation and warm atmosphere made this a great surprise.Special Features:
- Fantastic FoodItalianDined on 9/5/2014Great presentation and tasty food. Lovely ambience, but music was a bit loud, which made conversations louder and difficult to hear. Crowded space, however, we will definitely go again, as the food was the best we've had in Excelsior, or anywhere around Lake Minnetonka or the Metro area. Highly Recommend.Special Features:
- birthday lunchenjoyyourfoodVIPDined on 9/5/2014This was my third visit. Food was wonderful. I had the Bibb lettuce salad with watermelon. The flavors are bright and the fresh produce is the star. I added shrimp that were done to perfection. My friend had the chicken and biscuit sandwich w/coleslaw. It was a hearty portion and tasty. It was a Friday and very busy but our server did not rush us and was attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprise find!jdfoodieDined on 8/31/2014This is one of the better new restaurants we have found. Stumbled across the Coalition for lunch one Sunday and decided to come back for our anniversary. Great food and the servers were all friendly and seemed to be enjoying their evening as well. Makes me hungry just thinking about the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodreviewerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014Outstanding service. Table was ready when we arrived at 7:45 p.m. Attentive servers with good coordination from the entire service team. Lamb with pasta was excellent. Three of us ordered fish. Halibut, walleye & salmon were all very good. The grilled pound cake with fresh strawberries was a nice dessert to share. Great first impression and we will go back.
- Sidewalk lunchEyeHepDined on 8/30/2014On a warm summer day in Excelsior, you couldn't pick a nicer spot for lunch and people watching. The service was attentive and the food was pretty amazing. I loved the roasted chicken. The rhubarb martini is well worth a sip as well.Special Features: