616 Ward Parkway
Kansas City, MO 64112Neighborhood:
Plaza / Brookside
PizzeriaPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.coalvineskc.com/
- Phone: 8169122690
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Monday, Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Tuesday - Thursday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 3:00pm - 12:00am.
Weekend Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Happy Hour, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Coal Vines
Coal Vines is a casual neighborhood restaurant that brings a piece of New York City to Kansas City's beautiful Country Club Plaza. As a specialty pizza and wine restaurant, Coal Vines is known for its coal fired oven pizza but is also complemented by a full menu and a wine list that is synonymous with quality, at a reasonable price point. We offer a simple menu of seafood, pastas, appetizers and fresh salads in addition to our New York style pizzas. The casual elegance of the restaurant is enhanced by great music and an energetic dining area. A Sunday Brunch is also offered and has quickly become a favorite brunch spot in Kansas City. The patio and open-air dining make this a popular nice-weather dining restaurant and the candle-lit bar and dining room keep the restaurant cozy during the colder weather. The popular Coal Vines Weekday Winedown (Monday-Friday 3:00 p.m to 6:00 p.m.) offers select glasses of wine for $5.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Coal Vines - Best Restaurants in Plaza / Brookside ›
Coal Vines reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (28)fit for foodies (27)great for brunch (26)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (20)good for groups (20)great for outdoor dining (17)romantic (13)hot spot (13)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Reservations a waste of timePlaza2funDined on 8/30/2014I made reservations 2weeks ahead of time and we got a lovely table by the noisy kitchen.all windows were taken which I had requested.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014One of my absolute favorite restaurants! Generous wine pours and very friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favoritesSummerDined on 8/24/2014We love to start with bruschetta - never disappoints. The salad are wonderful and the white pizza is our favorite. The wine list is excellent.Special Features:
- Supper ClubOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I are part of a "Dining Out" Supper Club with 3 other couples and it's our turn to select the next venue. We had heard great things about Coal Vines and checked it out. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was great. It had the feel of a quaint neighborhood Italian restaurant and was a fun location for a Friday night, but not too crowded considering it's on the Plaza. We were seated in a spot where we could actually watch the pizza dough being thrown.Special Features:
- Amazing!NebraskaCoupleDined on 8/9/2014This is my second time to Coal Vines, and the first for my husband. It is absolutely amazing. The wine list is excellent- anyone can find what they're looking for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Restaurant!KathylDined on 8/8/2014I visit Coal Vines almost weekly with a close group of friends, and it never fails to let us down! The food is fantastic, the staff is great, and the restaurant really has a great vibe to it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Experience7GalsfromNEDined on 8/2/2014We had a blast! The food and wine were delish and our waitress Darcie was the BEST! Overall experience was GREAT!Special Features:
- First Time Was a Charm!SouthPawVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went to Coal Vines for the first time for our anniversary brunch. It was great! I had the benedict and he had an omelet. Both were excellent! We also polished off two $12 pitchers of mimosas! Can't beat the price. We'll definitely be back!!Special Features:
- so-so.lizamirizeDined on 7/27/2014The waitress was nice, and the host was accomidating.But the food took awhile to reach us, and by then I had cold eggs benedict. Omelet was a scrambled eggs dish. Won't return, unimpressed.Special Features:
- food you can get anywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2014My friends and I went here for Sunday brunch. Our waitress was one of the worst I've ever had. We are a very kind and "go with the flow" group, and we all agreed that based on the food and service, none of us would be back. She was rude, didn't know the menu, brought us the wrong pizza, said nothing came on the side with my order (so I got potatoes, which came with my order, I said I didn't want them, she charged us for them), and I we saw her twice...once to take our order and once to give the bill. My friend was in the middle of placing his order and she said "hold on!", went over to another table, then came back to ours...weird and rude...the food was so so, but nothing special.
- A little disappointed in Brunchbwake25Dined on 7/20/2014Been here several times before for lunch and dinner and always really liked the pizza and atmosphere. Went for brunch on Sunday and I was a little disappointed after hearing that this was a great place for brunch. The service and my food was below average. We sat outside and our server was very nice, but we felt a bit neglected for drink refills because our food took quite a while compared to those around us. My omelette was visibly overcooked, thus also very dry. Not good to mess this up when you are serving brunch. However, my girlfriend got the breakfast calzone and a strawberry mimosa and were excellent according to her. Trying not to make a final judgement on this first brunch experience and may try again in the future.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Came here for dinner on a thursday, and enjoyed it so much we returned on saturday!! Fun, energetic, good food, great service!! We will definitely be back!!!Special Features:
- The BEST!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/13/2014Wonderful setting. Loved it for Sunday Brunch! Food is absolutely delicious! Going back again and again..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy Meatball PizzaJimandVickiVIPDined on 7/12/2014It doesn't get any better! (Unless you get the Penne in Vodka sauce)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid brunch with Just OK serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/29/2014I had a really hard time deciding what to have because everything on the menu looked and sounded good. I would make a decision and then change it as I saw other people's food being served! I landed on the eggs benedict and it was delicious! The basil hollandaise was very different and delicious. Everyone in my group really enjoyed their food as well. Our server was extremely indifferent to being there, but the host was very friendly and helpful. He refilled our coffee and helped us out where our server failed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy food and great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/21/2014We had quick service from our server and the pizza maker let us play with the dough. He even sent dough to the table! We had a great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enchanting Brunchwasmith21Dined on 6/15/2014We had a wonderful brunch for Father's Day here. Danielle was an amazing server, with great knowledge of the menu and wines. The view was enchanting, at the window overlooking Brush Creek. The gourmet pizza pies had a perfectly, crispy crust and the sausage was divine. The granola was warm and fresh with a creamy yogurt. The cheese accompanying all aspects of the meal melted in your mouth and each was perfectly paired or prepared. The lemon cake was moist and just rich enough to satisfy without being too heavy for a brunch dessert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/14/2014We love having wine and pizza here. The salads are the best! We love the pizza choices and our picky son likes the "Regular" as well. We have been several times and it is always a win.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but gets club-esque.RadoDined on 6/6/2014Good service and good food. Restaurant was really cold for whatever reason - the doors were open but they were just blasting the A/C even though it was gorgeous outside. Pizza is obviously the star but the mozzarella sticks and the tuna tar tar were also very fresh and clearly house-made. The one downside is that on the weekends if your dinner runs much later than 9 PM you are going to get your face blasted off by crazy loud house/EDM music. I'm no stranger to the club scene but you know how it is with EDM DJs...they think their music is awesome so they end up playing it loud as hell. It quickly turns into a dinner where you essentially have to yell across the table. Before 9ish though its Sinatra etc. - really great stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Brunch LocationnekralDined on 6/1/2014I took my family here for brunch on a Sunday morning. There are traditional options (eggs, omelets, pancakes) for non-adventurous eaters, but they also have some creative (and very tasty) Italian-inspired brunch dishes. They also offer carafes of mimosas (or peach/strawberry/raspberry equivalents) for only $12, which is more than enough for 6 champagne flutes. Their coffee was also quite good. The restaurant has some indoor and outdoor seating available, so with nice weather, it would be a great outdoor brunch spot. It wasn't very noisy (important when you have older family members), and it didn't feel crowded. In general, it was a very good and surprisingly affordable brunch.Special Features:
- The following 181 reviews are from the Coal Vines reviews archive.
- Marginal ServiceKSSteakLvrDined on 5/22/2014The Server while friendly was inattentive. Spent most of her time visiting with one specific patron at the bar. Had to request to others to get the server so our order would be taken, and also to get our check. Not a very good experience. On a positive note, the food was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pizza in Kansas CityBigDubVIPDined on 5/17/2014Awesome atmosphere, great brick oven pizza and an outstanding wine list.... What more do you need?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomenessLindaDined on 5/15/2014Huge menu with optional wine pairings. Reasonably priced as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We love Coal Vines. We take our family there during the holidays. We love the atmosphere and the food us excellent. We especially like hoe gage chefs have entertained my grandson. My wife loved being at Coal Vines for Mother's Day. JTRSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wood fired pizzapumpkinDined on 5/10/2014We have been to Coal Vines two times now. My husband is extremely picky about his pizza, hates wine, and was very hesitant about going to a new place. We were both pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pizza. It was delicious, had ample toppings but wasn't drowning in greasy cheese, and had that great wood fired flavor. The wine list is nice I suppose, but I am a drinker of the sweet to semi-dry varieties so there was not much I liked on the list. Overall, a great little place. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great timesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014I go here a lot and I am always thrilled with the food as well as the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls Nightmargie212Dined on 4/22/2014Perfect restaurant for a girls get together! Great pizza (we had the White Pizza and the Sausage and Pepper), wine, and atmosphere. Weather was perfect so the open air seating made the experience even more enjoyable. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Great PizzaTomKDined on 4/19/2014If you like thin crust pizza, you will love coal vines. Service was good. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:
- Love this place!KC18Dined on 4/18/2014Great pizza and great brunch! I definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PizzaExceptionalVIPDined on 4/13/2014Excellent thin crust pizza. Fabulous taste and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy brunchKB1988Dined on 4/13/2014Fabulous brunch complete with mimosas and lighter food options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome plaza find!WINEAUDined on 4/12/2014The atmosphere was very pleasant - clean, not loud/chaotic and staff very knowledgeable and accommodating. Some of the best pizza we have ever eaten!!!Special Features:
- Very PleasedDDElaineDined on 4/5/2014We had a very enjoyable experience. Our reservation was ready on time and we were given a window table which made it that much more enjoyable to watch the outside as well as the inside. We felt like we were the only people in a crowded restaurant. Our servers were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun FridayDiningOutInKCDined on 4/4/2014We always enjoy the atmosphere and food at Coal Vines. This trip was no different than the others, but our friends were experiencing it for the first time and loved it! The pizza and wine were great, as was the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cold and crowdedcoldcoalsDined on 4/4/2014We suggested Coal Vines as the place to rendezvous before WarHorse and needless-to-say, we were disappointed. The meatball appetizers were lukewarm and the pizza cold. Our table of four was so crowded that I was eating under the pizza tray and I was not the only one eating "down under!" We really did not have the time to send it back and chances are we won't be back. Thank God, I gave up wine for Lent because NO room for wine glasses!!! Very disappointing!!!
- great food & service, crowdedMagsterDined on 3/31/2014great food & service, crowded seating, felt a bit cramped.Special Features:
- Tasty Italian in a lively settingChoosydinerDined on 3/29/2014Coal Vines serves excellent paper- thin crust pizza and yummy crispy chicken parm. This is a fun setting on the Plaza! The service is helpful and attentive without seeming annoying. The Caesar salad is dressed perfectly. My only complaint is that there aren't enough croutons. The croutons taste like they've been fried. We would've liked a bucket of them to take home. We will return to Coal Vines again.Special Features:
- Great foodKCdocVIPDined on 3/26/2014Far west of plaza but really good and trendy Good good service and ambiance Worth a try and retrySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coal Vines- Our Date Night FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/23/2014Absolutely love the restaurant Coal Vines. We keep coming back for more! Every date night, special occasion or when the craving hits-we are back for more: sharing a bottle of wine, ceasar salad and a large white special! I highly reccommend coal vines to anyone who is looking for a restaurant with great ambiance, service and food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- On VacationyumyumDined on 3/17/2014I was spending a few days of Spring Break with my teenagers checking out colleges in the KC area and we stayed in the Plaza. We had a great dinner at Coal Vines. We had an appetizer and pizzas that were delicious. My salad was excellent as well. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features: