Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar
8595 Pelham Rd Suite 100
Greenville, SC 29615Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coalfiredbistro.com/
- Phone: 8643290400x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Italian, Wine Bar
- Executive Chef: Gerard Cribbin
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We look forward to hosting your special event!
- Private Party Contact: Event Coordinator 8663585479
- Entertainment: Enjoy live music every Friday and Saturday.
A word from Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar
Coal Fired Bistro takes Italian cuisine to the next level by embracing the tradition of using fresh, local ingredients to create an inspired and elegant dining experience. The menu offers pasta dishes as well as steaks, seafood and veal. Coal Fired Bistro features an extensive wine list, craft and Italian beers, unique cocktails and the only Italian wine dispensing system in the Upstate. Taste the essence of Italy and feel transported.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (4)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (2)notable wine list (2)romantic (2)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Not Bad....MisterMangiareVIPDined on 6/14/2014It's been awhile since we've eaten here and honestly, my wife and I were not as impressed as we usually are. It was a Saturday evening at prime dining time and the restaurant wasn't even half full. The food was just ok. The gnocchi were not the little "pillows of air" but instead were doughy and the sauce was too heavy. The veal was undercooked and affected the taste. And the biggest nuisance was the fly that kept buzzing coming around...definitely not an attraction at this high quality of a restaurant. Don't know if we'll go back. BTW...the service was very good and the live band was extra good.Special Features:
- Great DinnerBrandonDined on 6/6/2014Once again, had a great experience at Coal Fired! The wine list is second to none and the food is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 424 reviews are from the Coal Fired Bistro and Wine Bar reviews archive.
- Always a winner!BuzzDined on 5/31/2014Great food as always since Gerard has been the chef there!Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/28/2014What a great place! Everything from the food to service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DARKTonisayzDined on 5/27/2014The restaurant was so dark that I was surprised that is was still light outside. I would prefer more natural light. Food was good. I was happy to have several pasta choices at a smaller size and price point. Too bad they no longer have artistanial pizza's. They are missed!Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceMicheleVIPDined on 5/24/2014Arthur made our dining experience wonderful. The lobster with linguine and rose sauce was outstanding. Lobster was so tender. The sauce and al dente pasta were devine. The carbonara had a generous amount prosciutto, bacon and pancetta although there was a bit too much sauce for my wife's taste.Special Features:
- Always great!BuzzDined on 5/14/2014Chef Gerard has created a fantastic menu of his culinary delights! You can't go wrong with any selection. I had the bisque and a Mahi special. Both were off the charts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedFrenchfoodyDined on 5/9/2014Don't look at the neighborhood. A Spinx station and a bank don't speak in its favor! Inside the atmosphere is somewhat dark but romantic. Nice wine list with good choices of wine by glass. Tasty food, nice presentation in the plate, caring service. I highly recommend this restaurant that is definitively a good value for money in Greenville. This was our third visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's great, setting's iffyAXJ66Dined on 5/9/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary this weekend. While we were both pleased with the food and service, the tables were placed surprisingly close together. It was hard not to overhear conversations of the other diners. I wouldn't have minded this as much in a larger group or for a business dinner, but for a romantic evening it was less than ideal. I would have expected more separation from a non-urban restaurant of this price range. That said, the food was excellent and the server was knowledgeable and courteous.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/8/2014Very disappointing. Cocktails were watery and flavorless. The pasta entrees were over sauced and gloppy.
- A Fabulous FindMrPhilDined on 5/8/2014Coal Fired Bistro is a fabulous find. Always a great meal with super attentive service. Deep wine list albeit a bit pricy.Special Features:
- Outstanding food and serviceCharOttoVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was our first visit to Coal Fired Bistro since Chef Gerard Cribbin took over. The whole experience was fabulous. I had the ravioli with sausage cacciatore and my husband had the ribeye steak with a side of carbonara. Both were exceptionally well-flavored and beautifully presented. We would highly recommend this restaurant for any occasion. Chef Gerard makes it special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is back!DinnerBelleDined on 4/10/2014An excellent choice for dining. Food was delicious. Service was great. The restaurant was floundering for a while with the change of ownership but seems to have hit its stride with a viable menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last TryDineramaDined on 4/3/2014My husband and I heard that CFB had a new chef so we tried the restaurant again though it had never been a favorite from an ambiance standpoint. The service was attentive and courteous although somewhat inexperienced and therefore a little stiff. I followed the server's recommendation and ordered a lobster pasta dish that was swimming in sauce. The lobster was fresh and plentiful and the sauce was tasty, but I had to drain each bite. My husband ordered a ribeye, that while adequately cooked, was also drowning in a quite salty sauce. Doubt we'll go back.
- We were disappointed in theBettsDined on 3/29/2014We were disappointed in the food. Having been to the restaurant several times before, we felt the food was not nearly as good as it was in previous visits. The amount of wine served was too little for the price and the food just mediocre. We will not be back. The only thing good about it was our server, who did a fine job.Special Features:
- We used to really enjoy CoalBb1958Dined on 3/14/2014We used to really enjoy Coal Fired, but the last few visits have been much less than what we paid for. We probably won't go back!
- The new Chef has made a biggreenvillefoodieVIPDined on 2/28/2014The new Chef has made a big difference for the restaurant.Special Features:
- The Gulf Black Group was outstandinBearlyeatinDined on 2/26/2014The Gulf Black Group was outstanding. Prepared broiled it sliced like I was cutting through butter! It was accompanied by risotto and one of my least favorites, brussel sprouts. But the way it was prepared I found myself licking the plate clean. Cannot wait to go back, a true neighborhood gem!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid overallDukeVIPDined on 2/25/2014Nice staff, Tracy very pleasant. Comfortable seats. Nice wine list. Food pretty good. Overall solidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful dining experiencegapcreekgourmetDined on 2/24/2014Coal Fired offers the fine dining experience of yesteryear. From the time you are seated at the beautiful table, you are showered with attention and care. The food is mesmerizing. I recommend the light and flaky calamari to start. Dinner is a hard choice. Linguine Cardinale (with rose lobster sauce and spinach). Think Lobster Bisque and POW! The Scallops in sherry cream sauce with mushroom risotto was rich and savory, cooked to perfection. The Veal Saltimbocca was perfection. The wine selection is divine. Be sure to get a card from the bar and try out the Enomatic wine machines or try the smokey martini for a pairing with one of their delicate desserts. Perfect for romantic evening, business meeting, or a girls night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingLULUDined on 2/21/2014So happy to see Gerard's menu. Yum. We had a wonderful meal. Morgan and William were wonderful. Very attentive. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Not so great anymoremsjaye1Dined on 2/19/2014I went here not knowing that the management and chef had changed. This is not the same place anymore.Special Features:
- Service was good until a 12OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014Service was good until a 12 person table came into our dining room. Our server was responsible for our table and that table and our service suffered.Special Features:
- A Lovely Experience!RsavageVIPDined on 2/15/2014We dined at Coal based on the feedback of other OpenTable reviewers, and were not disappointed! Though they didn't have the full menu up because it was Valentine's Day weekend, they had an exceptional Valentine's menu. I ordered salmon and my boyfriend ordered grouper and they were excellent. They were cooked perfectly and the sides that accompanied them were an delicious compliment. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone!Special Features:
- Great 1st Trip, Want to Come back!IzManDined on 2/15/2014I was disappointed that the menu was cut down for Valentine's Day, since the full menu looked so good. We had an excellent waiter who was really patient with us. The soup was excellent, & both of our entrees were delicious. Great find, and we're looking forward to going back with the full menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Picture Perfect!loversatheartDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I had a great time. The food was delicious and service was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer our "Special Place"JandTDined on 2/15/2014We went for our anniversary as we have for three years. This year when we were seated we were handed a special "Valentine's Day" menu. It was not Valentine's Day, it was the day after. We asked if we could order off the regular menu and were told "no its going to be busy tonight so we have limited selections to keep things flowing in the kitchen". It was an extremely limited menu. We settled on our entrees, the food was delivered, it was okay but nothing we couldn't have got elsewhere. No special memories this time. We will probably look for another "special place".Special Features:
- Waitress's first night...we wished.FuzzyDined on 2/14/2014We'd been to Coal Fired several times over the years. Our previous experiences had always been favorable. Our table was ready when we arrived even a little early. Nice location. Then our waitress approached us and introduced herself and that's when it started going downhill. She talked too much, didn't understand the menu, forgot our drinks, had to come back to the table to ask, took forever and just generally left us not wanting to ever come back. The carpaccio and veal were delightful, the ambience almost perfect, but my wife had to send her sopping wet salad back because... it was sopping wet. If had been her first night or even week, we'd have understood. Alas, 'twas not. So sorry. We'll not be back.Special Features:
- Thank God the Food Was GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/14/2014Since VD fell on a Friday this year, we decided to venture out and eat at one of our favorite places.Unfortunately the masses did as well; restaurant interested in doing as much business as possible .Night started off poorly at the desk; rude host.A couple that wasn't reserved until 7:30 showed at 7 (right in front of us), and was given our table in the main dining room.We then were seated in the secondary dining area. The seating arrangement felt like a cafeteria. As many two top and four top tables that could fit were packed into this space.Service was slow and kitchen slower.Shame on us for thinking this was a good night to go out, but shame on CFB for turning the night into a money maker rather than an enjoyable evening for its guestsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentRonDDined on 2/8/2014Our fourth visit was as good as the first. Looks as if we are about to qualify as regulars. Pastas are, without qualification, the best in the upstate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was outstanding!irisDined on 2/8/2014The food was outstanding! The ONLY negative was the very slow service. As people were being seated, the host apologized up front for the slow service. Not sure why there was a problem; however, the food was definitely worth the wait.Special Features:
- In from the cold26pt2runnerVIPDined on 1/29/2014I dined while on a business trip during a winter storm that brought the area to a standstill. Lucky for me, Coal-Fired Bistro was open. I ate at the bar and was well tended to by Jack, I enjoyed my Golden Tile-Fish with lemon caper sauce along with a pleasant glass of Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. All were lovely and service was attentive and friendly. I rerturned the next evening and was greeted by name by both the host and Jack the bartender. This evening I went for the duck and it was outstanding - doner perfectly. I will return the next time I'm in Greenville!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greenville's Best Kept Secret!!MrCerretaDined on 1/22/2014Maitre' De and Server where exceptional. Mgr greeted us during dining. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodPalvinDined on 1/21/2014I've been here a few times on business. Great bar, great food, great staff. Always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at the Coal Fired BistroDanNDined on 1/18/2014We were somewhat disappointed in our experience here. We had been here two times before and really liked the restaurant. However, several changes to the menu combined with a very loud music combo really detracted from our previous high quality expereinces. They have stopped offering tap beers such as Smithwick's and Moretti's as well as the antipasta appetizer. Our server was very busy although the restaurant wasn't overly crowded. The food was average unfortunately. We had the mussels appetizer which were good. I had the ribeye steak which was excessively fatty and the tiramisu desert just wasn't all that good. On top of that the loudness of the music combo made conversation very difficult. Most likely we will not returnSpecial Features:
- Very Nice Romantic DinnerLaure41Dined on 1/18/2014We appreciate the food quality and the ambiance for the romantic dinner. Except, almost 3/4 hour between the cocktail and the course... We liked the decoration and music Jazz during the dinner. Very nice service!Special Features:
- Fine dining at a reasonable price.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2013Great place to take business associates, a favorite date, a friend you want to impress or for any special occasion. I went there for a late evening dinner on New Years Eve and was very impressed. The food was wonderful, the wait staff was well trained and professional and the ambiance was plush and romantic. It will be my first choice on Valentines Day and on any other occasion that I feel like being pampered. A romantic evening should begin or end here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All was good but service afirsttimerDined on 12/31/2013All was good but service a little slow but forgivable for new years eveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve - dining experiencePeJaeDined on 12/31/2013As expected, Coal Fired Bistro's food was excellent - mussels respectively Caesar salad as appetizers, Atlantic salmon and Lobster Cardinale - all great tasting and eye pleasing. The ambiance would have gotten five stars from me had it not been too warm in the dining area. The service was very friendly and appeared professional - however they were not at their best form that night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve DinnerJohnDined on 12/31/2013Seated immediately. Service was excellent with very knowledgeable waiters. Lighting could have been a little higher, as it was difficult to read the menu at our table. Mussel appetiser was fantastic. Entrees were excellent and the right amount. Excellent Italian wine at the right temperature and properly decanted. Ambience would be improved with less TVs or just shut them off. Overall, an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.