Clyde's of Chevy Chase
5441 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Clyde's of Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/
- Phone: 3019519600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Sunday: 10:00AM - 4:00PM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM; Friday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM; Late Night Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 10:00PM - 12:30; Friday - Saturday: 10:30PM - 1:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Derrick Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: N/A
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private cocktail reception space is available in The Race Bar. Limited availability for semi-private sit down dining.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Balfour or Any Manager 3019519600x
- Entertainment: Soundstage with live entertainment from 9pm on Friday & Saturday nights in The Race Bar, and on Thursday evenings from 7-10pm.
Tuesday Night Trivia, Every Tuesday 7:00pm - 9:30pm
- Special Events: Free live music in the Race Bar area on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm - 1 am, and Thursday nights from 7-10pm.
A word from Clyde's of Chevy Chase
Situated in the heart of the upscale Chevy Chase shopping district, the decor of this two-level restaurant celebrates the golden age of travel with steamships, planes, and the famed Orient Express rail line. Chef Derrick Jackson uses flavorful, fresh ingredients to prepare American-style cuisine in the Travel Rooms on the main level, or in the casual atmosphere of the downstairs Race Bar and Dining Room. Bar on main level, and a new outside bar and dining area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Clyde's of Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Clyde's of Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (116)neighborhood gem (113)good for groups (79)great for brunch (77)kid-friendly (66)special occasion (39)fit for foodies (34)great for outdoor dining (34)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (18)hot spot (11)romantic (10)notable wine list (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- Stable menuOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/28/2014After visiting this restaurant over several years, the menu has started to be restricted--no noticeable changes have been made. The preparation and presentation of the food is very reliable and pleasing and all the ingredients seem fresh. This is a safe bet for standard American cuisine and I like taking guests here if I'm not sure how adventurous they are with foreign foods. The atmosphere is great and the design motif of transportation--cars, planes, boats, and trains--continues to be attractive and amusing. I recommend Clydes to anyone searching for a restaurant on upper Wisconsin Avenue.Special Features:
- TerribleNoneDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Clyde's many times over the years but very little recently even though it is in our neighborhood. We won't be going back. As nothing else on the (tired) menu appealed to us we ordered the strip steaks RARE. What we got were totally overcooked (not even pink). Sent them back. Next two were even more done. Sent them back and declined an offer of a third try. Service was not great either. Wine orders mixed up. Our dinning partners lobster shells were left on the table until we left.
- LocalfoodielocalfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We frequently have dinner at Clydes-Chevy Chase. This time we ordered the monthly special, a 1 1/4 pound lobster that was cook to perfection. The side dishes also were very good. The lobster shell was cut (strategical cut in the kitchen) to offer easy access to the meat in the claws and tail. One suggestion is to have an early reservation. By 7 PM the restaurant was full and there was a line of patrons waiting to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good with excell svc!JohnDined on 9/26/2014Definitely a go-to restaurant. We especially enjoyed the Sep special - a 1 1/4 lb lobster, fries and cole slaw for under $20!!! Can't beat that price in this area. They do this annually and we go annually!!!Special Features:
- Raw turkey burgersam1990VIPDined on 9/25/2014At first I was served a turkey burger that was not fully cooked. They cooked it some more, but still tasted pretty bad.
- Always goodadchotinVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was our umpteenth time back at Clyde's of Chevy Chase. It has always been a go to restaurant when needing to have dinner in the Chevy Chase neighborhood. And it never fails to impress. The food is consistently good, the prices are very manageable, and the service is always professional. The lobster special, at $19.99, is affordable and good. The brick pressed chicken was delicious , as were the other two dishes we had. Once again, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableMarylandcrabDined on 9/22/2014Always enjoy Clyde's especially when they have lobster and half priced wine bottles on Monday. We always ask for a booth by a window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No plan to return soon.GoldieVIPDined on 9/21/2014I don't like going to Clydes but my 88 yr. old mother likes to go there. They have had basically the same menu for years! We went there on Sunday and I ended up getting a veggie burger because I liked that there was fruit on the side and it wouldn't be too fattening. It was just ok. I probably would've ordered the lobster,had the waiter told us there was a special. My mother did order the lobster roll and said it needed flavor as it had no taste. She was very disappointed and is not interested in going back either. The waiter was slow serving and didn't clear the table very fast. My husband ordered the hummus,tapenade and red pepper spread-it looked gross especially the tapenade and didn't taste good either.
- Walker BrigademaynardGkeynesVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you are mere child of 50, you may find yourself one of the youngest patrons at this particular branch of Clyde's, which appears to be catnip to the geriatric set. It's located in a rather prosperous, elderly neighborhood with a large senior citizens complex almost across the street. I've heard of restaurants where they put the waiters are on roller skates, but here they should put them on walkers. Still, the food is great for the money, we had a comfortable table near a window, and a fun evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clydes of Chevy Chase enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014We certainly enjoyed the lobster special and plan to dine there again. The restaurant is always great for lunch or dinner. The food is really good and the prices are definitely affordable. It's a little noisy, especially for those with hearing problems. It's our "go to" for casual dining!Special Features:
- Good valueluv2lunchDined on 9/18/2014Clyde's provides consistently good value. The food is middle of the road, unpretentious but served hot and tasty. Service friendly and prompt. Lobster special for $19.95 is a treat. Our favorite spot for an affordable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!ProsperoDined on 9/18/2014Lobster dinner in September and October for $20. Good value. Lobster well-cooked and tender.
- WellOiledMachineDined on 9/17/2014Clyde's is the ultimate reliable nice restaurant -- always comfortable, always good food, always good service, always reasonably priced, easy parking, easy metro access, almost always no waiting for a table. It's like a big well-oiled machine that just keeps on going and going. Accommodates grandpas or the littlest kids, groups from one to twenty, a wide range of appetites and tastes. So go already, you'll like it, don't worry.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereLuckyDined on 9/17/2014Had a Bison Burger...which wasn't much tasteful. My friends Rubens sandwich the same. It's nice atmosphere, but the foods could do a little improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie M Dallas, TXLeslieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Always consistently good. Great service. I had the Sage Chicken it was gender juicy and delicious. The Whole Lobster looks awesome and a bargain at $19.95! Looking forward to my next visit to try the Whole Lobster!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Waiter was helpful when my entrée had to go back. He remembered that my guest was celebrating a birthday too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice ambiance, so-so foodPlumDined on 9/14/2014Clyde's focus is fun, warm and inviting atmospheres in their restaurants. The food really needs improvement, however. It's not bad, it just is more like cafeteria food. Stick to simple dishes, like salads and scrambled eggs.Special Features:
- a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I get to DC several times a year & try to get to one of the Clyde's locations at least once or twice on my visits. Always good food & drinks. The crab cakes are consistently one of the best anywhere. Also, like the various fresh local seasonal vegetables & salad offerings.Special Features:
- lovelobsterDined on 9/13/2014Lobster was really excellent as was a chocolate dessert. But chicken wings were undercooked, and our first glass of rose was undrinkable. A shame. No bread was ever brought to the table or offered. Service was slow and waiter was unattentive.Special Features:
- saturday evening dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Aside from two noisy drunks in the booth next to us, everything was terrific. Our waiter moved us to another table. Problem solved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Count on Clyde'sfuninchevychaseDined on 9/12/2014I go there often for good food, nice seasonal offerings, friendly staff, and convenient free parking.Special Features:
- Excellent food but ...GoodFoodDined on 9/10/2014We both had the cod (recommended) which was excellent fish. However, it was very salty. I expect this was a fluke (a mistake in the sauce?), since everything else about the food was so good. We told our server who apologized and "comped" us for our appetizers and overall handled this very well. I would go back again because I think what happened was very unusual.Special Features:
- Leslie Dallas TXLeslieVIPDined on 9/10/2014Ribs are great and only $14.95 a bargin! We have eaten here numerous times and always have enjoyed our dining experience.Special Features:
- Special occasions are great hereTassieDined on 9/9/2014We celebrated my birthday here and the food was very good. I had their lobster special and it was delicious! The service very good - did not rush us yet very attentive. Love the decor too.Special Features:
- Birthday at Clyde'sAveryDined on 9/8/2014Wanted a special evening to celebrate a friend's birthday and Clyde's delivered. We had their lobster special which was fresh and delicious. Recommended wine complimented it well. Transportation theme of this restaurant is charming and well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster is terrificHELLIEDined on 9/8/2014as is the heirloom tomato salad and the service. The only thing that could be upgraded, as always, is the bread.Special Features:
- Spotty ServiceKPMinDCDined on 9/6/2014Clyde's is a lot like a comfortable sweater: you (almost) always know what you're getting into. This past Saturday, however, we experienced some spotty service at "old reliable." Our two alcoholic beverage came right away, but we had to ask a 2nd time for a non-alcoholic drink. Two of us ordered Caesar Salads & were brought tiny "pudding bowls" of mostly flavorless Romaine lettuce, not the full-sized salads on the menu. The waiter never asked which we wanted. At main course time, only two of the three dishes arrived and the server seemed confused that there was a third dish. Almost all was forgiven with the brownie sundae dessert, but paying $3.50 for a weak cup of coffee left a bad taste. I like Clyde's--just needs to try harder.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicePatrickDined on 9/5/2014We don't go here often, but thought it would be convenient for out of town guests. The service with "Dena" was impeccable. However, there was a family in the corner with a screaming kid. The parents were irresponsible. Wait staff was accommodating for those customers wanting to be reseated elsewhere in the restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie Dallas TXLeslieVIPDined on 9/5/2014Nice comfortable atmosphere. Ribs are really good and only $14.95 came with great corn on the cob. They offer whole lobster for only $19.95. Look forward to trying the lobster soon!Special Features:
- hatetocookDined on 8/29/2014nice food presentation as well as a very nice menu, excellent service, great ambiance, terrible seating in booth (see below)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still a stalwartNancsterDined on 8/28/2014I met a friend for lunch and conversation and both were excellent. We both had the crab cake sandwich…slid down a treat! The waitstaff was excellent and we lingered long over coffee without interruption….THANK YOU! I appreciate the quiet atmosphere, the unobtrusive wait staff….AND the yummy nosh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally disappointingJGreensVIPDined on 8/28/2014We went to Clyde's for lunch and made the mistake of ordering food that was inedible: liver with gravy so thick that it resembled gummy paste. Service was nonexistent, so we did not get to tell anyone in time about the food. If you go to Clyde's, just get a hamburger and fries and be done with it. I think they've changed the menu since we were there last, so small salads are more "gourmet" than before. I thought I would be getting a bunch of salad greens, but what came was a sliced beet and a few strips of kale for $8.95. To their credit, when I complained, they took it off the bill.
- not the best Clyde's experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/27/2014I've only been in the bar at this Clyde's. We met a friend for dinner and was not impressed. The booths are very uncomfortable. I'm not a tall person and my feet dangled and fell asleep. Next time, I will ask for a table. Food was not up to Clyde's standards, in my opinion. The crabcake, which I've had several times in the past, tasted fishy and was full of shell bits. I ordered one glass of wine, which ended up being more like a 1/2 glass of wine. Service was not good either. Our waitor seemed crabby and very inattentive -- and it was not busy. I hope this was just a fluke, otherwise, I'll stick to the bar in this particular restaurant.
- marbilleilDined on 8/26/2014Entree salad with steak was delicious. However, I could not taste any wine in the sangria and the poultry in one of my friend's sandwiched looked like it had been cut from a roll in the deli section in a grocery store.Special Features:
- Hidden jem in Friendship HeightsLove4gourmetDined on 8/24/2014I love the period decor -- it makes you feel like you're in an old train, with green velvet seats and overhead luggage racks in the main dinng room. The downstairs bar is fabulous with it's round race track-like design, vintage cars on display, and beautiful murals. It has a real vintage feel, without being pretentious or kitch. The food was surprisingly reasonably priced and the server allowed us plenty of time to sit and chat in our booth. We all had the salmon dishes, which were very tasty and moist. Would highly recommend for families and groups of friends.Special Features:
- Couldn't Ask for MoreBarbJDined on 8/21/2014This is an ideal place for DC/Maryland friends to meet for lunch. Good parking, close to metro and perfect choices for lunch.Special Features:
- menu change disappointing1localDined on 8/19/2014we were taking out of town visitors to dinner . Met at Clyde's Chevy Chase - convenient location as they took metro and we drove. we recommended the crab soup only to learn they have changed to a spicy tomato based soup. very disappointing, less crab, full of vegetables and too spicy. Our visitors said crab cakes were excellent. still love the bread .Special Features:
- AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Lots of things to see such as ship models for the ones that went down, model air planes, a train that runs around the entire room on an elevated track. Kids will love it. Manager was great as was our server.
- We love Clyde's of Chevy ChaseBarbDined on 8/18/2014We have visited Clyde's many times, particularly for special occasions such as birthdays, anniversaries, etc. We are happy that when they refurbished the restaurant they kept the some type of decor. We love the little train that circulates, although she's getting old and doesn't come around as often as she used to.Special Features:
- Excellent in all categoriesSloopy1Dined on 8/17/2014Menu is diverse, wine list varied, food is delivered in good time and appropriate temperature. I recommend Clyde's to all my foodie friends who want good food at reasonable prices. Service is courteous, helpful and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.