Clyde's of Chevy Chase
5441 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Clyde's of Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/
- Phone: (301) 951-9600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Sunday: 10:00AM - 4:00PM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM; Friday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM; Late Night Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 10:00PM - 12:30; Friday - Saturday: 10:30PM - 1:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Derrick Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: N/A
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private cocktail reception space is available in The Race Bar. Limited availability for semi-private sit down dining.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Balfour or Any Manager 3019519600x
- Entertainment: Soundstage with live entertainment from 9pm on Friday & Saturday nights in The Race Bar, and on Thursday evenings from 7-10pm.
Tuesday Night Trivia, Every Tuesday 7:00pm - 9:30pm
- Special Events: Free live music in the Race Bar area on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm - 1 am, and Thursday nights from 7-10pm.
A word from Clyde's of Chevy Chase
Situated in the heart of the upscale Chevy Chase shopping district, the decor of this two-level restaurant celebrates the golden age of travel with steamships, planes, and the famed Orient Express rail line. Chef Derrick Jackson uses flavorful, fresh ingredients to prepare American-style cuisine in the Travel Rooms on the main level, or in the casual atmosphere of the downstairs Race Bar and Dining Room. Bar on main level, and a new outside bar and dining area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Clyde's of Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Clyde's of Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
260 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (129)great for lunch (123)good for groups (90)kid-friendly (71)great for brunch (70)special occasion (49)fit for foodies (34)vibrant bar scene (28)late-night find (26)great for outdoor dining (21)romantic (13)notable wine list (11)hot spot (10)scenic view (6)Show More
- Okay, but not extraordinaryCarolDined on 11/23/2014Three of the four in our party ordered crab cakes. They were just okay -- nothing great -- and certainly did not contain big junks of lump crab meat as one wants in a crab cake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No longer a neiborhood gemKayswiss92VIPDined on 11/22/2014The changes across the board at Clyde's has changed and not for the good. The new management team is rude and rarely resolves customer issues, the current chef's menu choices are uninteresting and offer poor grouping of foods. If you like kale and collared greens you are in luck. Even chef Marion's dessert menu has become generic and lacks her fabulous creations of the past. The noise level is not energetic, but loud from screaming out of control kids who parents refuse to discipline and let their children run all over the restaurant. Try some of the other Clyde's locations. Experience will be much more enjoyable both in ambiance and menu selectionsSpecial Features:
- Love my local Clyde'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/22/2014I always feel welcome at Clyde's Chevy Chase. Food is always great. Service is solid. Parking is available. Close to Metro. Friends are always happy to meet there. Comfortable ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant place to eat--food mediocre at best.NoneVIPDined on 11/19/2014The atmosphere is so nice but the food is lousy. I had fish and chips--the chips were kind of soggy--the fish was mostly breading. The cole slaw came in a tiny little dish. Brunch is somewhat better here- but lunch and dinner just aren't what they used to be. I guess the only thing to have here is a hamburger.
- CarolDined on 11/15/2014Restaurant was great in accommodating my request for an easy access table for my elderly mother. However, dropping her off at the door was difficult as there is no handicap entrance and picking her up afterwards was extremely difficult due to awkward traffic pattern.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good.aaajDined on 11/14/2014Clydes is always very good - nice menu, good ambiance and wonderful service. On a nice day, the outside seating is very pleasant. They offer validated parking to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceNiff1010Dined on 11/8/2014We had not been to Clyde's in many years - that's going to change based on our dinner this past Saturday night. Menu had lots of options. My wife enjoyed the Osso Buco special and my Shrimp Fra Diavolo was excellent. My sister and picky niece split the chicken with Fettuccini and they said it was very good. Hint - if you are looking for a light dessert, order the brownie Sunday and ask them to split it - it was perfect for the four of us. I noticed a band playing in the downstairs bar started at 9PM. We will have to come back and check that out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating at Clydes in Chevy ChaseMarty1930Dined on 11/8/2014I eat there often since it's in the neighborhood and an easy walk from home. It's predictable and comfortable and I particularly appreciate the moderate noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably goodLuckymeDined on 11/7/2014Food and service are always good. Noise level is wonderful... You can have a conversation in a normal tone of voice! The interior is getting a little worn but, that's what makes Clydes feel like homeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FreddieDined on 11/4/2014I had the New Brunswick Stew and the Pear Salad, both starters, for lunch instead of an entree and it was more than enough. The "New Brunswick Stew" was made with fish which is certainly a new twist on Brunswick Stew but it was otherwise traditional and did not taste fishy at all. The Pear Salad was one of the best salads I have ever eaten.Special Features:
- lovely lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/3/2014Three of us reserved for lunch on a Monday 12:30 and it was a good idea as this place is popular. We wanted to take our time and our waiter was very accommodating in allowing us to chat for a while before we ordered and even after we'd eaten. Burgers and fries were had by 2 and the chili and house salad by the third, all good. A large pitcher of filtered water was put on the table so we didn't have to ask for refills. This location also has ample parking and validates the parking up to a generous amount of time, 2 to 2 1/2 hours, I believe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to look at, good to eatYumyumVIPDined on 10/31/2014I ordered the baked acorn squash entree and was truly surprised at the beautiful presentation. The food was equally as good. I have always liked the Clydes menu,especially the veggies, but this was exceptional.Special Features:
- LunchMspickyDined on 10/30/2014October Lobster special was not cooked immediately before being served I believe must have been left in warm water to keep warm before serving, as it was only warm, not hot, and soggy. Having lived in the northeast for over 30 years and always accustomed freshly cooked lobster, was quite a disappointment. Also had the chocolate expresso that was lovely.Special Features:
- Lobster Special in Sept & OctAveryDined on 10/29/2014A special treat for a very good price! Clydes's does not disappoint with its monthly specials. This one is my favorite. This restaurant theme is various modes of transportation and it features an electric toy train which makes its way around the place occasionally appearing over your head. Lots of old posters and models of steamships set the tone further. Highly recommend a visit.Special Features:
- Good Food, Poor Service (This Time)RayvuerDined on 10/24/2014Loved the lobster special, but unlike previous visits, we had extremely poor service. When we complained to the manager, he kindly resolved all of our issues. We appreciated his efforts. It's good to know that Clyde's of Chevy Chase is concerned about its patrons' dining experiences. . We look forward to returning, but would definitely ask for a different waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to Clyde's usual standardsSnowflakeVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is probably the first review I've ever given a Clyde's dining experience that deserves less than 5 stars for service. At many restaurants tonight's service would be par for the course, but at Clyde's it's usually top notch. Tonight we got the wrong bottle of wine not once but twice, then the server did not bring our wine cooler for the table with out our asking for it, did not bring our bread with dinner until we asked, and forgot to give me a spoon for my coffee until I requested it. We really weren't paying much attention when the 2nd bottle of wine came, and found it delightful with our dinner, although Italian rather than the French wine we'd ordered. We also noticed on our check it cost a little more.Special Features:
- Lobster monthBallet007VIPDined on 10/19/2014Lobsters at Clyde's are sweet and delicious and a good value. I wish they would have lobsters all year, not just September and October.Special Features:
- First visitOutdoorsDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed our visit to Clyde's. We had an 8:00 reservation and were seated promptly. The menu had some unique items. My companion enjoyed the lobster pot pie and I had a shrimp dish. The quantities were just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Condiments are importantCondimentsDined on 10/17/2014Our experience was very good. We had an issue where a condiment / honey mustard was ordered to accompany an entree and the wrong condiment came with the entree. An immediate request was made for the correct condiment (honey mustard) but it wasn't brought until one bite was left of the entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!SimbaSamDined on 10/14/2014Good food, drinks, scene, and location. Overall good vibes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster specialDaleDined on 10/14/2014Clyde's does the best steamed lobster, no question. We always come for this seasonal treat. Only complaint: they served with a phony butter (some yellow oil) and we had to request the real thing. happily, they allowed a substitute for the fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoloVIPDined on 10/14/2014went for the lobster special. the lobsters were good, but very very small. you should order a second one without the sides if you really want to be full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!MarylandcrabDined on 10/13/2014Always enjoy lobster with 1/2 price wine on Mondays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdieDined on 10/13/2014Since this is in my neighborhood, I frequent it quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/2014It was a disaster. Fire alarm went off. Dinner was delayed. Service was awful and no one offered to comp anything, not even dessert. No one even apologized for the inconvenience. I know it wasn't their fault, but dinner took over 1 1/2.Special Features:
- Habitual favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014It's fine for bringing friends for lunch and a long chat. The monthly specials (don't miss the two-month lobster special) are always worth it. The wait staff is accommodating and stalwart in occasional emergencies, such as a recent fire alarm evacuation. It can be a little noisy because it's a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster FestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Loved my lobster dinner. I had a double in the shell and they absolutely delicious and at a great price. Two recommendations for the menu: 1) add baked potatoes or at least baked sweet potatoes; 2) add Riesling and Zinfandel wines to your wine list (I was very disappointed at having to settle for a Rose). Our waitress needs retraining on being more responsive and checking on her customers throughout their dining. She did not check to see if we needed water refills and we had to wait over 45 minutes before we could get her attention to pay our bill (which meant we had to pay extra $$ for parking beyond the Clyde's complimentary 2.5 hour parking limit on our ticket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lobster specialtastyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Lobsters were outstanding. As good or better than some we've had in Maine. Skip dessert; all 3 choices were dreadful. Maryland Crab Soup as always good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable for a lovely outingCecilyDined on 10/11/2014We, my husband, daughter and I enjoyed our dinner at Clyde's in Chevy Chase. We had a lovely waitress, a good meal, drinks, dessert and appetizer, all very good. I was celebrating my birthday but did not indicate it before hand, I got serenaded nonetheless. My husband loves Clyde's in Chevy Chase. I like the one in Tower Oaks too. There was nice buzz of people of all ages enjoying their dinner. The restaurant was well lit and just seemed festive. I liked the food selections in general. There is something for everyone and there was some flexibility. French fries are not healthy and should be the option, not the standard. My husband had roasted potatoes and I had string beans (too undercooked for me), so we had healthier options.Special Features:
- October is lobster monthBonheurDined on 10/11/2014I chose the above special which was decent (French fries were not as good as they looked and not warm enough). The dessert title seduced me "Black Forest Cheese cake" - it turned out very disappointing for a mini portion... I would only recommend the lobster (1 1/4 lb.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, freshLuckymeDined on 10/10/2014Great location, validated parking, good service, easy to converse... Food is good.. Not cutting edge but consistently well prepared...prices are more than reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun LunchmarycanaryDined on 10/9/2014Four of us enjoyed our food and great service...Our server was nice enough to take our picture--and she did a great job!Special Features:
- Great PlaceLadyleisureDined on 10/8/2014This is a comfortable restaurant with great tasting food and a wonderfully varied menu. Overall, the service was good though our particular waiter that day seemed distracted. This was my second time there and I definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- SPECIAL DIETS HONORED!!!LoisVIPDined on 10/7/2014Always willing to prepare salt-free food, I find the result tasty and far from dull. Any special requests are honored and staff is extremely pleasant if there are any problems with the order. One of my favorite destinations for a juicy hamburger or chicken wings! Monthly specials on the menu can include lobster or even a good steak. Quality of food and service at this Chevy Chase site seems better than at other other Clyde's locations.Special Features:
- Not a fanKellyDined on 10/3/2014I understand it was a Friday night but our server wasn't very attentive. Also the food portion were off, one person ordered lobster (it fit the entire plate), one person ordered steak (it was so big it was spilling off the plate), in ordered pasta...there were ehat seemed like 6 noodles and 10 pieces of shrimp and it was way too salty. It was also a birthday so we ordered a complimentary dessert , the cheesecake, and it was so small with melted whipped cream on the side. I will not be coming back to this location. However, the train and cars in the race bar were cool.Special Features:
- MakeitGoodDined on 10/1/2014I always like coming here to either Chevy Chase or Tower Oaks locations. It is relaxing, quieter than most restaurants in this area, and the service is excellent. Food is good, but crab cakes anytime and lobster months are great. tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No brunch unless you have childrenvrob40Dined on 9/28/2014I love Clyde's but realized that come for Happy Hour in the bar downstairs or during the week. The food is delicious, but I had a horrible experience when I went for brunch.There were TONS of families with screaming children and some who even ran around the restaurant.I was really disappointed because I had taken a friend who was visiting from out-of-town to one of my favorite places and we could hardly hear each other.I'm not a parent, but she is, and even she thought the children were out of control.I'll never go again during a Sunday Brunch or any other kid-friendly hour.I can't blame the restaurant for parents who think that children clanging forks, screaming and running around should be loved by everyone. Also, waiter wasn't good.Special Features:
- Stable menuMontmartreDined on 9/28/2014After visiting this restaurant over several years, the menu has started to be restricted--no noticeable changes have been made. The preparation and presentation of the food is very reliable and pleasing and all the ingredients seem fresh. This is a safe bet for standard American cuisine and I like taking guests here if I'm not sure how adventurous they are with foreign foods. The atmosphere is great and the design motif of transportation--cars, planes, boats, and trains--continues to be attractive and amusing. I recommend Clydes to anyone searching for a restaurant on upper Wisconsin Avenue.Special Features:
- TerribleNoneDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Clyde's many times over the years but very little recently even though it is in our neighborhood. We won't be going back. As nothing else on the (tired) menu appealed to us we ordered the strip steaks RARE. What we got were totally overcooked (not even pink). Sent them back. Next two were even more done. Sent them back and declined an offer of a third try. Service was not great either. Wine orders mixed up. Our dinning partners lobster shells were left on the table until we left.
- LocalfoodielocalfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We frequently have dinner at Clydes-Chevy Chase. This time we ordered the monthly special, a 1 1/4 pound lobster that was cook to perfection. The side dishes also were very good. The lobster shell was cut (strategical cut in the kitchen) to offer easy access to the meat in the claws and tail. One suggestion is to have an early reservation. By 7 PM the restaurant was full and there was a line of patrons waiting to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.