Clyde's of Chevy Chase
5441 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Clyde's of Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/
- Phone: 3019519600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Sunday: 10:00AM - 4:00PM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM; Friday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM; Late Night Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 10:00PM - 12:30; Friday - Saturday: 10:30PM - 1:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Derrick Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: N/A
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private cocktail reception space is available in The Race Bar. Limited availability for semi-private sit down dining.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Balfour or Any Manager 3019519600x
- Entertainment: Soundstage with live entertainment from 9pm on Friday & Saturday nights in The Race Bar, and on Thursday evenings from 7-10pm.
Tuesday Night Trivia, Every Tuesday 7:00pm - 9:30pm
- Special Events: Free live music in the Race Bar area on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm - 1 am, and Thursday nights from 7-10pm.
A word from Clyde's of Chevy Chase
Situated in the heart of the upscale Chevy Chase shopping district, the decor of this two-level restaurant celebrates the golden age of travel with steamships, planes, and the famed Orient Express rail line. Chef Derrick Jackson uses flavorful, fresh ingredients to prepare American-style cuisine in the Travel Rooms on the main level, or in the casual atmosphere of the downstairs Race Bar and Dining Room. Bar on main level, and a new outside bar and dining area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Clyde's of Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Clyde's of Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
222 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (112)neighborhood gem (100)great for brunch (76)good for groups (71)kid-friendly (63)special occasion (41)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (36)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (17)hot spot (11)romantic (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (6)Show More
- Always reliableFrankRDined on 5/23/2014Seldom disappointed at Clyde's. Menu is pretty varied. Service attentive without being fawning. Preparations are OK - not for foodies but reliable . Crab cakes are a safe choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RKHKDined on 5/20/2014Had lunch outside; it was great! The ravioli in mushroom sauce was delicious and my guest's turkey burger was similarly described. How nice to have such a place nearby!Special Features:
- The following 1515 reviews are from the Clyde's of Chevy Chase reviews archive.
- Not what it used to beChamisaVIPDined on 5/18/2014We have been fans of Clyde's over many years. A couple of years ago, we noticed frayed upholstery and a general down-at-the-heel look. We came back this week to give them another change. The place looked freshened up, but they were out of the two entrees we ordered, and it took a long time for that information to arrive. Appetizers and wine took a long time to arrive, and bread never came. The famous crabcakes had become institutional hockey pucks. Just isn't like the old Clyde's.
- LoDinesVIPDined on 5/18/2014Clyde's of Chevy Chase is my go-to restaurant. The food is delicious, the servers superb and the atmosphere casual and comfortable. And like the Cheers Bar of television fame, everybody knows my name.Special Features:
- NicoleDined on 5/17/2014SO YUMMY!!! LOVED IT! SOO HAPPY THERE IS A PLACE CLOSER AND QUICKER THAN DC WITH TEH SAME FOOD!! AMAZING RESTURANT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long Time Client DisappointedAnnoymousDined on 5/16/2014We've enjoyed Clyde's ever since they opened and usually have a great food experience. Not this time! Waitress recommended brick oven chicken even though I told her I never eat white meat because it's so dry. She promised it wouldn't be dry. It was and I returned it and ordered the stew which is supposed to have mussels (4), clams (1), catfish (0), tomatoes and some herbs. What my wife got was a stew filled with minced onions, tomatoes and herbs filled with calamari rings being the predominant seafood, which isn't even mentioned as one of the ingredients. It was very disappointing experience for both of us. How Clyde's Mgmt would or could allow there kitchen to do this is beyond comprehension. Two entrees unacceptable in one setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKSteelersgirlDined on 5/11/2014I thought it was going to be better then what I expected. The waitress was soooo slow. I heard about Clyde's so I went for Mother's Day and let's just say I won't go back, it's not for me. The food was not great, I had the Ruben and I was so disappointed, my brother had the ribs (smh) and my mom had the crab cakes. Not again sorry! But don't let my reviews stop you it's just my opinion.Special Features:
- Clyde's in CC is a hit againGrannyDined on 5/10/2014We took our grandson (19) out for his birthday lunch. We made a reservation so had no wait. Two of us had brunch selections and two lunch selections plus appetizers. Everything was delicious! Clyde's is a favorite of ours so we regularly meet friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the food, not the experiencedcnotreallyafoodieDined on 5/8/2014I've been the Clyde's a number of times because I live in the neighborhood. Overall, I love the food but don't love the restaurant experience. I haven't had anything bad, and many things are very good. In particular, I loved the Shepard's pie from St. Patrick's Day & the Georgia salad. But generally the service isn't as good as I would want - given the quality of the food & the price. Water isn't filled quickly, orders are messed up. Sometimes we get great service, but usually it's just OK. Finally, the tables themselves are kind of strange - I (and other guests) seem always to hit our knees on their metal bolts. It's a small thing, but getting bruised by your table at dinner isn't something I enjoy.
- Comfortable morning get togetherCandieDined on 5/5/2014We met another couple for brunch/lunch at 11:00 a.m. Monday morning. The menu offered quiche and lunch items...We sat and talked for hours while enjoying sandwiches, tuna melt and quiche....service was fast and had a few laughs...Relaxed ,quiet atmosphere along with their travel motif. Free parking is always appreciatedSpecial Features:
- Dependable and ComfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/3/2014A dependable local resource, with comfortable seating and quiet tables and booths -- in case you want to have a conversation with your table-mates! There's a range of choices on the menu, nothing outrageously gourmet, but dependable and well-prepared. Spacious and with excellent service. I go back again and again.Special Features:
- our favorite hangoutwriterladyDined on 5/2/2014I'm part of a group of friends who enjoy ending the week with a meal at Clyde's. We love the comfortable booths, generous drinks and food that is always fresh, affordable and highly flexible--meaning that you can mix and match most of the entrees.Special Features:
- Still goodamarciaVIPDined on 5/2/2014This is not fine dining. It it is good dining and almost never disappoints. It is well prepared American food in pleasant atmosphere. Sometimes service is unreliable so not good for kids who are starving. It becomes pricey when bringing teenagers with big appetites. We come fairly often with grand kids and with adults. Sometimes the wait for food is too long but we all keep coming back for more.Special Features:
- Good food - intrusive waiterMargieVIPDined on 5/1/2014Clyde's is always reliable for a good quality meal. Service suffered a little on this visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring back the Lobster Roll!Goodfood123VIPDined on 4/30/2014Lunch was good as always, but we are missing the lobster roll! Hope it comes back soon. Otherwise excellent Grilled chicken saled. Nice atmosphere -- easy to talk. Thanks!Special Features:
- Poor Seating ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/27/2014I went here with my elderly mother and she is 87 years old. We had a reservation and the maitre D walked us thru the entire restaurant to try to seat us in the rear in a corner. When we arrive at a vacant table near a window I told my mother (who walks with a cane) to sit down and relax. I then spoke to the man who was taking us on a tour of the restaurant that we will be sitting down right where we are. He came and told us that he will check with the front desk. He came back and asked us to move to another table one chair over. I politely said NO. He finally walked away in a tissy. I live in the neighborhood and love Clydes so I will give it another chance. I hope it had nother to do with us being black!Special Features:
- Just OK BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/27/2014My buttermilk pancakes were good and the bacon was crisp. The Bloody Mary was good. But my friend's chicken breast was not good. Tasteless. Had they microwaved it?Special Features:
- Terrible Night Manager Chevy ChaseCoolDined on 4/24/2014I had a great waiter, great food, good wine, but we had asked to have a bottle after getting a glass and asked for the glass to be credited toward the bottle. The waiter said yes and brought the bottle. When he brought the check the waiter said the manager over-ruled him and refused to credit the glass of wine. We asked to speak to him and when he came over he was very combative, arrogant, and rude. He was so condescending in his tone and manner that I asked him to stop talking and leave. We tipped the waiter anyway but I have decided to never eat at Clydes again and I will spread the word among my colleagues how this young insolent manager seems to be the new trend in service at Clydes in Chevy Chase.
- Excellent restaurantFoodloverVIPDined on 4/22/2014Excellent restaurant to meet friends and have good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Food Quality/ ServiceBizLunchDined on 4/21/2014Clydes has a good reputation in the DC area; their Tower Oaks is high on my list of American-food restaurants. My recent visit to Clydes-Chevy Chase with an out-of-town client was a big disappointment. It was a weeknight, not busy with waitstaff aplenty, but I sat for half the meal with no drink nor water, didn't see the waitress until 30 minutes later. We had the tuna appetizer, which was too warm (appropriately seared, likely sat for some time) and almost tasteless. I ordered crabcakes, in past a great dish, but bland and served with a few shriveled steak fries, no coleslaw. My colleagues' swordfish was overdone. Because the waitress didn't come around until the end, we couldn't tell her in time. I expected much better from Clydes.
- Great AmbianceTassieDined on 4/20/2014Love the "Orient Express" decor of this pleasant eatery in Chevy Chase, MD. Food is very tasty and reasonably priced too! Plenty of free parking helps.Special Features:
- Sadly disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Disappointed that at an early dinner on Easter they had sold out of two popular entrees. Our waiter was very good howeverSpecial Features:
- Not up to standardsLaMarVIPDined on 4/20/2014Clyde's Chevy Chase used to be pretty reliable, but has been hit-or-miss lately. This last visit was a miss. My fish & vegetables were overcooked and drenched in some kind of oil. No flavor to speak of. My party's lamb was tough and also lacked flavor. Appetizer (crab dip) and dessert (apple pie) were good. They were out of our first dessert choice. We had such a good meal last time, about a month earlier. This location seems to be the orphan child of the Clyde's Group. I hope they get around to getting the kitchen in order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Go Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014We went on Easter Sunday at 5 p.m. There were two of us and we both have eaten at Clydes Chevy Chase together, as part of a larger group and apart from each other. We like all aspects of the dining experience - the food, ambience, servers, etc. ALL past experiences at Clyde's Chevy Chase have been very positive and we will return another time. This one visit we seemed to end up in the 'no man's zone' of the restaurant. Luckily another wait staff person took care of us initially, but eventually they disappeared and we occasionally had a different person. This is unusual and had we not been so engrossed in our conversation, we probably would have said something to the management who I'm confident would have addressed it immediately.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clydes is delicioussmnixonDined on 4/20/2014I loved going to Clyde's and it was terrific for Easter Brunch! Our waitress made terrific recommendations for the mimosas.Special Features:
- Brunch on EasterGronupDined on 4/20/2014I was expecting a madhouse, instead the brunch was delicious and was well attended by the staff, loved the magician!Special Features:
- ViKings aperitifSewinggirlDined on 4/19/2014I love the convenience of eating here, then going downstairs to the Race Bar for drinking and dancing. Especially when the VIKings are playing. The servers and managers were especially nice to us even though our daughter no longer is an employee there. Our group had a wonderful time. We'll continue to go there. Thank you.Special Features:
- Good times at Clyde'sDEaterDined on 4/17/2014Took a teenager who enjoyed the restaurant as much as I did! The service was really exceptional, the food very enjoyable, and the atmosphere friendly and engaging for diners of all ages. The menu offers something for everyone. Definitely a family favorite for the all around experience. Kudos to Clyde's each time we visit.Special Features:
- Excellent Well-Situated Lunch SpotdeluxedinerDined on 4/17/2014The lunch menu was varied, appealing to a wide variety of tastes, and there were some excellent specials too. The service, beginnng at the front desk and continuing to our waiter, was pleasant, informative, and efficient. We appreciated the validated parking too, which made it possible to combine lunch with a bit of shopping. My only criticism is that it was fairly noisy -- a clear indication that the diners were enjoying themselves!Special Features:
- Elder dining!SandyDined on 4/16/2014In this neighborhood Good for the "mature set'! The service and food were fine though. Definitely not a romantic spot.Special Features:
- A regular spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2014My family and friends come here regularly. We know the food and the service is usually good. On Sunday night the service was FABULOUS thanks to Allison. If you can request to be seated in her section, do so. She had a great sense of humor and was just lovely.
- bad food, service, and noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/12/2014Got seated promptly, ordered immediately since we were going to a movie, simple order--a vegetarian plate, waited 40 minutes for the meal after we complained, it was cold, drenched in oil, asparagus was charred, and overall tasteless. Expensive for the awful food and long wait. Manager gave us 2 free appetizers for next time visit, which I do not think we will use.
- My friend and I went for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/11/2014My friend and I went for dinner and the service was slow (it took me thirty minutes to get a soda), the food was mediocre, my friends meal was incomplete (she ordered stew and it came without mussels) and it wasn't worth the $50 we spent on the meal. So not going back.Special Features:
- With out of town friendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2014Opportunity to sit and "catch up" was excellent. We were not rushed. Noise level was low. It served our purposes very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clyde's is Clyde'scrabcakeloverDined on 4/11/2014I ordered a crab cake, and remember them being better in the past. It was decent enough with a good beer, but not worth making a trip for. A really good crab cake is hard to find outside of Baltimore. My friend seemed to enjoy the bison burger.
- I would definitely go backNaomiF21Dined on 4/11/2014I would definitely go back to Clyde's. They had the best crab cakes and the portions are reasonable. A little pricey but worth it. Dessert of Brownie Sundae was soooo good.Special Features:
- Nice, comfortable atmosphereAlexandrianDined on 4/10/2014Nice, comfortable atmosphere with ample room. Was there on a business lunch, and was perfect for that occasion, menu provided a good selection to address our group's varied tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clyde's is slippingBallet007VIPDined on 4/5/2014I've been going to Clyde's for decades and it has always been reliably good -- nice menu selections, good food, timely service. I went twice in the past week and something is happening at Clyde's. The food orders took an inordinate amount of time on both occasions. A manager apologized for the delay after we repeatedly asked various staff where our food was. "The kitchen was backed up." That was unusual since Clyde's is typically busy and has timely service. She offered to adjust the price and comped dessert. The second time that week the food took 45 minutes. We inquired several times and heard they were backed up. Clyde's needs to correct whatever has gone awry and get back to its usual good standards.
- Service Was Very BadsimjamDined on 4/4/2014The waiter was surly and ignored us as much as possible. Three ladies and a male were treated very badly! We gave him no cause for his lack of attention to us.
- always reliable and alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/3/2014always reliable and always a good meal with great service!Special Features: