Clyde's of Chevy Chase
5441 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Clyde's of Chevy Chase
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/
- Phone: 3019519600x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Sunday: 10:00AM - 4:00PM; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00AM - 4:00PM; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00PM - 10:00PM; Friday - Saturday: 4:00PM - 10:30PM; Late Night Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 10:00PM - 12:30; Friday - Saturday: 10:30PM - 1:30AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Derrick Jackson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: N/A
- Private Party Facilities: Semi-private cocktail reception space is available in The Race Bar. Limited availability for semi-private sit down dining.
- Private Party Contact: Maria Balfour or Any Manager 3019519600x
- Entertainment: Soundstage with live entertainment from 9pm on Friday & Saturday nights in The Race Bar, and on Thursday evenings from 7-10pm.
Tuesday Night Trivia, Every Tuesday 7:00pm - 9:30pm
- Special Events: Free live music in the Race Bar area on Friday and Saturday nights from 10pm - 1 am, and Thursday nights from 7-10pm.
A word from Clyde's of Chevy Chase
Situated in the heart of the upscale Chevy Chase shopping district, the decor of this two-level restaurant celebrates the golden age of travel with steamships, planes, and the famed Orient Express rail line. Chef Derrick Jackson uses flavorful, fresh ingredients to prepare American-style cuisine in the Travel Rooms on the main level, or in the casual atmosphere of the downstairs Race Bar and Dining Room. Bar on main level, and a new outside bar and dining area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Clyde's of Chevy Chase - Best Restaurants in Friendship Heights ›
Clyde's of Chevy Chase reviews from OpenTable diners
252 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (128)great for lunch (123)good for groups (83)great for brunch (69)kid-friendly (66)special occasion (51)fit for foodies (37)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (23)vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (13)hot spot (12)notable wine list (9)scenic view (5)Show More
- Not up to Clyde's usual standardsSnowflakeVIPDined on 10/20/2014This is probably the first review I've ever given a Clyde's dining experience that deserves less than 5 stars for service. At many restaurants tonight's service would be par for the course, but at Clyde's it's usually top notch. Tonight we got the wrong bottle of wine not once but twice, then the server did not bring our wine cooler for the table with out our asking for it, did not bring our bread with dinner until we asked, and forgot to give me a spoon for my coffee until I requested it. We really weren't paying much attention when the 2nd bottle of wine came, and found it delightful with our dinner, although Italian rather than the French wine we'd ordered. We also noticed on our check it cost a little more.Special Features:
- Lobster monthBallet007VIPDined on 10/19/2014Lobsters at Clyde's are sweet and delicious and a good value. I wish they would have lobsters all year, not just September and October.Special Features:
- First visitOutdoorsDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed our visit to Clyde's. We had an 8:00 reservation and were seated promptly. The menu had some unique items. My companion enjoyed the lobster pot pie and I had a shrimp dish. The quantities were just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Condiments are importantCondimentsDined on 10/17/2014Our experience was very good. We had an issue where a condiment / honey mustard was ordered to accompany an entree and the wrong condiment came with the entree. An immediate request was made for the correct condiment (honey mustard) but it wasn't brought until one bite was left of the entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!SimbaSamDined on 10/14/2014Good food, drinks, scene, and location. Overall good vibes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster specialDaleDined on 10/14/2014Clyde's does the best steamed lobster, no question. We always come for this seasonal treat. Only complaint: they served with a phony butter (some yellow oil) and we had to request the real thing. happily, they allowed a substitute for the fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoloVIPDined on 10/14/2014went for the lobster special. the lobsters were good, but very very small. you should order a second one without the sides if you really want to be full.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!MarylandcrabDined on 10/13/2014Always enjoy lobster with 1/2 price wine on Mondays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EdieDined on 10/13/2014Since this is in my neighborhood, I frequent it quite often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/12/2014It was a disaster. Fire alarm went off. Dinner was delayed. Service was awful and no one offered to comp anything, not even dessert. No one even apologized for the inconvenience. I know it wasn't their fault, but dinner took over 1 1/2.Special Features:
- Habitual favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/12/2014It's fine for bringing friends for lunch and a long chat. The monthly specials (don't miss the two-month lobster special) are always worth it. The wait staff is accommodating and stalwart in occasional emergencies, such as a recent fire alarm evacuation. It can be a little noisy because it's a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster FestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014Loved my lobster dinner. I had a double in the shell and they absolutely delicious and at a great price. Two recommendations for the menu: 1) add baked potatoes or at least baked sweet potatoes; 2) add Riesling and Zinfandel wines to your wine list (I was very disappointed at having to settle for a Rose). Our waitress needs retraining on being more responsive and checking on her customers throughout their dining. She did not check to see if we needed water refills and we had to wait over 45 minutes before we could get her attention to pay our bill (which meant we had to pay extra $$ for parking beyond the Clyde's complimentary 2.5 hour parking limit on our ticket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lobster specialtastyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Lobsters were outstanding. As good or better than some we've had in Maine. Skip dessert; all 3 choices were dreadful. Maryland Crab Soup as always good. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable for a lovely outingCecilyDined on 10/11/2014We, my husband, daughter and I enjoyed our dinner at Clyde's in Chevy Chase. We had a lovely waitress, a good meal, drinks, dessert and appetizer, all very good. I was celebrating my birthday but did not indicate it before hand, I got serenaded nonetheless. My husband loves Clyde's in Chevy Chase. I like the one in Tower Oaks too. There was nice buzz of people of all ages enjoying their dinner. The restaurant was well lit and just seemed festive. I liked the food selections in general. There is something for everyone and there was some flexibility. French fries are not healthy and should be the option, not the standard. My husband had roasted potatoes and I had string beans (too undercooked for me), so we had healthier options.Special Features:
- October is lobster monthBonheurDined on 10/11/2014I chose the above special which was decent (French fries were not as good as they looked and not warm enough). The dessert title seduced me "Black Forest Cheese cake" - it turned out very disappointing for a mini portion... I would only recommend the lobster (1 1/4 lb.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable, freshLuckymeDined on 10/10/2014Great location, validated parking, good service, easy to converse... Food is good.. Not cutting edge but consistently well prepared...prices are more than reasonable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun LunchmarycanaryDined on 10/9/2014Four of us enjoyed our food and great service...Our server was nice enough to take our picture--and she did a great job!Special Features:
- Great PlaceLadyleisureDined on 10/8/2014This is a comfortable restaurant with great tasting food and a wonderfully varied menu. Overall, the service was good though our particular waiter that day seemed distracted. This was my second time there and I definitely will be going back.Special Features:
- SPECIAL DIETS HONORED!!!LoisVIPDined on 10/7/2014Always willing to prepare salt-free food, I find the result tasty and far from dull. Any special requests are honored and staff is extremely pleasant if there are any problems with the order. One of my favorite destinations for a juicy hamburger or chicken wings! Monthly specials on the menu can include lobster or even a good steak. Quality of food and service at this Chevy Chase site seems better than at other other Clyde's locations.Special Features:
- Not a fanKellyDined on 10/3/2014I understand it was a Friday night but our server wasn't very attentive. Also the food portion were off, one person ordered lobster (it fit the entire plate), one person ordered steak (it was so big it was spilling off the plate), in ordered pasta...there were ehat seemed like 6 noodles and 10 pieces of shrimp and it was way too salty. It was also a birthday so we ordered a complimentary dessert , the cheesecake, and it was so small with melted whipped cream on the side. I will not be coming back to this location. However, the train and cars in the race bar were cool.Special Features:
- MakeitGoodDined on 10/1/2014I always like coming here to either Chevy Chase or Tower Oaks locations. It is relaxing, quieter than most restaurants in this area, and the service is excellent. Food is good, but crab cakes anytime and lobster months are great. tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No brunch unless you have childrenvrob40Dined on 9/28/2014I love Clyde's but realized that come for Happy Hour in the bar downstairs or during the week. The food is delicious, but I had a horrible experience when I went for brunch.There were TONS of families with screaming children and some who even ran around the restaurant.I was really disappointed because I had taken a friend who was visiting from out-of-town to one of my favorite places and we could hardly hear each other.I'm not a parent, but she is, and even she thought the children were out of control.I'll never go again during a Sunday Brunch or any other kid-friendly hour.I can't blame the restaurant for parents who think that children clanging forks, screaming and running around should be loved by everyone. Also, waiter wasn't good.Special Features:
- Stable menuMontmartreDined on 9/28/2014After visiting this restaurant over several years, the menu has started to be restricted--no noticeable changes have been made. The preparation and presentation of the food is very reliable and pleasing and all the ingredients seem fresh. This is a safe bet for standard American cuisine and I like taking guests here if I'm not sure how adventurous they are with foreign foods. The atmosphere is great and the design motif of transportation--cars, planes, boats, and trains--continues to be attractive and amusing. I recommend Clydes to anyone searching for a restaurant on upper Wisconsin Avenue.Special Features:
- TerribleNoneDined on 9/27/2014We have been to Clyde's many times over the years but very little recently even though it is in our neighborhood. We won't be going back. As nothing else on the (tired) menu appealed to us we ordered the strip steaks RARE. What we got were totally overcooked (not even pink). Sent them back. Next two were even more done. Sent them back and declined an offer of a third try. Service was not great either. Wine orders mixed up. Our dinning partners lobster shells were left on the table until we left.
- LocalfoodielocalfoodieDined on 9/27/2014We frequently have dinner at Clydes-Chevy Chase. This time we ordered the monthly special, a 1 1/4 pound lobster that was cook to perfection. The side dishes also were very good. The lobster shell was cut (strategical cut in the kitchen) to offer easy access to the meat in the claws and tail. One suggestion is to have an early reservation. By 7 PM the restaurant was full and there was a line of patrons waiting to be seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good with excell svc!JohnDined on 9/26/2014Definitely a go-to restaurant. We especially enjoyed the Sep special - a 1 1/4 lb lobster, fries and cole slaw for under $20!!! Can't beat that price in this area. They do this annually and we go annually!!!Special Features:
- Raw turkey burgersam1990VIPDined on 9/25/2014At first I was served a turkey burger that was not fully cooked. They cooked it some more, but still tasted pretty bad.
- Always goodadchotinVIPDined on 9/24/2014This was our umpteenth time back at Clyde's of Chevy Chase. It has always been a go to restaurant when needing to have dinner in the Chevy Chase neighborhood. And it never fails to impress. The food is consistently good, the prices are very manageable, and the service is always professional. The lobster special, at $19.99, is affordable and good. The brick pressed chicken was delicious , as were the other two dishes we had. Once again, we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableMarylandcrabDined on 9/22/2014Always enjoy Clyde's especially when they have lobster and half priced wine bottles on Monday. We always ask for a booth by a window.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No plan to return soon.GoldieVIPDined on 9/21/2014I don't like going to Clydes but my 88 yr. old mother likes to go there. They have had basically the same menu for years! We went there on Sunday and I ended up getting a veggie burger because I liked that there was fruit on the side and it wouldn't be too fattening. It was just ok. I probably would've ordered the lobster,had the waiter told us there was a special. My mother did order the lobster roll and said it needed flavor as it had no taste. She was very disappointed and is not interested in going back either. The waiter was slow serving and didn't clear the table very fast. My husband ordered the hummus,tapenade and red pepper spread-it looked gross especially the tapenade and didn't taste good either.
- Walker BrigademaynardGkeynesVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you are mere child of 50, you may find yourself one of the youngest patrons at this particular branch of Clyde's, which appears to be catnip to the geriatric set. It's located in a rather prosperous, elderly neighborhood with a large senior citizens complex almost across the street. I've heard of restaurants where they put the waiters are on roller skates, but here they should put them on walkers. Still, the food is great for the money, we had a comfortable table near a window, and a fun evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clydes of Chevy Chase enjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/19/2014We certainly enjoyed the lobster special and plan to dine there again. The restaurant is always great for lunch or dinner. The food is really good and the prices are definitely affordable. It's a little noisy, especially for those with hearing problems. It's our "go to" for casual dining!Special Features:
- Good valueluv2lunchDined on 9/18/2014Clyde's provides consistently good value. The food is middle of the road, unpretentious but served hot and tasty. Service friendly and prompt. Lobster special for $19.95 is a treat. Our favorite spot for an affordable night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster!ProsperoDined on 9/18/2014Lobster dinner in September and October for $20. Good value. Lobster well-cooked and tender.
- WellOiledMachineDined on 9/17/2014Clyde's is the ultimate reliable nice restaurant -- always comfortable, always good food, always good service, always reasonably priced, easy parking, easy metro access, almost always no waiting for a table. It's like a big well-oiled machine that just keeps on going and going. Accommodates grandpas or the littlest kids, groups from one to twenty, a wide range of appetites and tastes. So go already, you'll like it, don't worry.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphereLuckyDined on 9/17/2014Had a Bison Burger...which wasn't much tasteful. My friends Rubens sandwich the same. It's nice atmosphere, but the foods could do a little improvement.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Leslie M Dallas, TXLeslieVIPDined on 9/16/2014Always consistently good. Great service. I had the Sage Chicken it was gender juicy and delicious. The Whole Lobster looks awesome and a bargain at $19.95! Looking forward to my next visit to try the Whole Lobster!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Waiter was helpful when my entrée had to go back. He remembered that my guest was celebrating a birthday too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice ambiance, so-so foodPlumDined on 9/14/2014Clyde's focus is fun, warm and inviting atmospheres in their restaurants. The food really needs improvement, however. It's not bad, it just is more like cafeteria food. Stick to simple dishes, like salads and scrambled eggs.Special Features:
- a favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014I get to DC several times a year & try to get to one of the Clyde's locations at least once or twice on my visits. Always good food & drinks. The crab cakes are consistently one of the best anywhere. Also, like the various fresh local seasonal vegetables & salad offerings.Special Features: