1014 SW Stark St
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
Downtown Portland - NE
EuropeanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydecommon.com/
- Phone: 5032283333x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm.
Dinner: Daily: 6:00pm - 11:00pm.
Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm.
We take limited online reservations to open our restaurant to walk-in diners.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, American
- Executive Chef: John Leach
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Clyde Common provides catering for the Ace Hotel's private event space, The Cleaners, located next door to the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Jen Alfieri-Adams 5035468509x
A word from Clyde Common
Clyde Common is a European style tavern serving delicious food and drinks in a casual and energizing space.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Clyde Common - Best Restaurants in Downtown Portland - NE ›
Clyde Common reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (77)vibrant bar scene (50)hot spot (46)good for groups (41)neighborhood gem (32)special occasion (21)late-night find (15)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Notable FlavorsEater10000VIPDined on 10/25/2014We started with a cocktail in the bar, which is a worthwhile experience alone . . . superb bartenders. For dinner we started with the garlic cashews and the smoked mussels. Wow. Those mussels really rock. For entrees, my spouse had the wild mushroom tart and I had the pork plate. The tart was plenty large for a "small plate" and had really good, balanced flavors. The pork plate has three preparations (slow cooked shoulder, tenderloin and a croquette). Each was unique and represented the animal well. I liked the shoulder the best. The beans were perfectly prepared. I really liked the grilled nectarines, as it is a nice way to have fruit flavors without being too syrupy. We ran out of time for dessert, though we will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, noisy atmospherexxxxVIPDined on 10/24/2014I find it unfortunate to have a very good dinner, well prepared and presented, to be so very distracted by the noise level. My date and I could not even hear each other across the table. That really takes away from my overall experience, which is too bad. I don't know why so many restaurants think they need it to be shouting loud for people to come. I may not come back just because of the noise. Otherwise I thought the food and service were quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An unexpectedly terrible mealPortlandeaterDined on 10/19/2014Clyde Common in typically one of my favorite Portland restaurants, but Sunday's dinner was really terrible. I can't think of another word to describe it. They were playing Unbelievably loud death metal music, which made it nearly impossible to hear my friend's conversation just feet away. I ordered the only vegetarian meal, which consisted of cold gnocchi on a bed of uncooked and undressed spinach leaves with whipped cream and granola on top. Almost inedible. The waiter never cracked a smile, said nothing about the menu or food, and rarely checked in on us. I have had so many delicious and lovely dinners at this restaurant, and really hope this was just a fluke. Not sure I will be coming anytime soon, however.Special Features:
- solid reccomendationFriendlyDined on 10/17/2014Went to CC on suggestion of a local friend. Solid menu. Our table enjoyed the chicken heart ragu pasta, branzino and salmon. Will return when in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & Service & NoisyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2014Wonderful food... super nice wait staff... The music was turned up really really loud... in addition to loud acoustics via design of the restaurant... difficult to enjoy the company of the person across from me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurgerMtandaDined on 10/3/2014Their burgers are awesome for even the dinner!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnmaddieDined on 10/1/2014Way too noisy. Love the food, love the space, but the food is not THAT good that it's worth screaming at my dinner mate. I am in my thirties, so this is not written by someone with hearing problems. Music was way too loud, let alone the hard surfaces. Waitperson brought food long before cocktails.Special Features:
- Fun in portlandAshlandLavenderDined on 9/29/2014Love this gem right next to the living room theater. Food is innovative and fresh. Start with the popcorn!Special Features:
- Interesting dish execution but...TipsyGypsyDined on 9/27/2014Was recommended Clyde common by a chef I work with and was excited to come in for a late seating expecting to not to be rushed and enjoy a leisurely dinner. We were not but I think our server was fully checked out by the time she came to serve us. Foie gras was great and the scallop dish was sub par. We also ordered the crab special which was less than extraordinary. Didn't order cocktails which we should have but were kind of cocktailed out. Wine list came up short as well. The chèvre panna cotta was obviously pre plated as our plate came out damp. Our dinner plate was also dirty as well as cobwebs building on the lights above us. Sloppy when it comes to the details but food was good but not as great as expected. Will give another go. :)Special Features:
- Noisy But TastyNA35Dined on 9/20/2014This was honestly the noisiest restaurant I have ever been to. I was immediately put off by the noise and the rude hostess. However, our server was friendly and knowledgeable about the food. He even let us know that there would be a bit of a wait to get our entrees & brought us some bread. The food was fantastic! We got the duck, branzino, salmon & tagliatelle, all cooked to perfection. No room for dessert, but I might be back for the roasted corn dessert with someone I don't need to have a conversation with!Special Features:
- browneyedsusanVIPDined on 9/19/2014Nice piece of branzino...and the simple salad was perfectly dressed. Great view from upper balcony. It's always a pleasant food experience at CC.Special Features:
- DisappointmentYachtrockDined on 9/19/2014We've dined at Clyde Common many times and loved it. However, this will probably be our last visit. Our server seemed bored in that Portland server kind of way and the food was a bummer. The new chef has taken the menu in an undesirable direction. Gone are the hearty standout dishes, loaded with flavor. It was an effort just choosing something that sounded tasty. Nothing was terrible, but nothing was great either. It's sad that the cheese, honey and preserves was the best part of our meal. My husband and I rarely get out on dates and were super excited to go to one of our favorite spots.
- Best BLT in TownscootchDined on 9/18/2014I had the best BLT. The perfect bread, and "home grown" lettuce, and heirloom tomatoes. DELICOUS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/16/2014Great food and cocktails, but rather noisy indeed even on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty and LivelyKatNPDined on 9/9/2014This is where I bring out of town friends first. It's a good way to get a sense of how Portland is for foodies as well as show off how busy the night life is. Lots of tasty small plate options. The ambiance is very pretty (especially at night by candle light) and very social. Sharing tables seems strange for the uninitiated, but can help liven things up. Be nice to your neighbor and you might make a new friend. This place starts quiet in the early evening but as the night progresses you'll notice you have to yell to be heard. It's hopping even on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCarolDined on 9/5/2014Based on other stroller reviews we drove down from tacoma to have our anniversary dinner here. To our dismay our food was so so but the place was so loud we couldn't carry on a conversation. Bar scene was lively and good cocktails but wish we'd picked some place else.
- Amazing flavorsVoltron159Dined on 9/4/2014Service was great from the hostess to our server. Everyone was very attentive, knowledgeable, and best of all made excellent recommendations. This was the first place we had dinner on our trip to Portland and was what we compared all other restaurants to. Honestly they came out on top. Next time we are in Portland we are definitely coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails in townjjjcesDined on 9/4/2014Menu is simple and local. Few ingredients with lots of flavor packed in. This is my favorite spot for happy hour and late-night snacks in downtown Portland.Special Features:
- great food but noisyluvmyfood2Dined on 8/31/2014Rather entertaining environment, quite the buzz and don't expect a tete a tete here. Food is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local fresh ingredientsLovinbrunchDined on 8/31/2014Took out of town guest to brunch and everyone enjoyed their meals The make your own champagne cocktail was perfect for sharing Enough choices for all even vegetarians A little loud for deep conversation but great music Even let us substitute for a vegan We will be back love the ever changing fresh menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Great food - love the smoked duck with grilled cabbage and the lobster with risotto croquette. Dessert - roasted corn ice cream pie graham crust, meringue, blueberry was great. Server made great recommendation.Special Features:
- Good, not what it used to beAlikDined on 8/21/2014The food and drinks are still good, but it's not what they were a few years ago when this place was at its peak. There's much less variety on the cocktail menu, and the bar nibbles are now much more pedestrian. I enjoyed our meal, but am not as enthusiastic to come back as I was last time.Special Features:
- A Portland Go ToRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 8/21/2014Every time I visit Portland I make plans to visit Clyde Common. It has consistently provided delicious food. No exception this time. The service was a bit less attentive than in the past but overall acceptable. The noise level can be high so be prepared for that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okAmywDined on 8/17/2014We had multiple recommendations for this restaurant but it was not as good for us. For a Sunday night, it was extremely loud with music over the noise, so we were yelling at each other just to communicate. The cocktails were good and the appetizer of the smoked clams were delicious, but everything else was just ok.Special Features:
- old friendsuicideDined on 8/15/2014Haven't been for awhile. Still "portland" in all ways. Just terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy bar and detached staffgoodgrindzDined on 8/14/2014After carefully reviewing my options, I chose this place because of a recommendation from a friend. I expected the noisy boisterous atmosphere, and communal seating but have to say...the food and wine list were disappointing. Everything was adequate, but just lacked that "something". I get the feeling that it is more of a local watering hole, which isnt a bad thing, but the staff-all of them, down to the chefs who you could watch-seemed detached and not very personable. All in all, an interesting experience...the peppers were probably the best thing I ate all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food , great ambiance ,priceyeatupdrinkupDined on 8/9/2014Loved the food and ambiance at this place. Nice family style seating. But we were charged gratuity as well as a very high service charge.. The bar scene was quite vibrant too.Special Features:
- Worth a visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014Overall experience was good. Salmon was delicious. Menu was minimal and the service was a bit absent. They ran out of lobster, but was able to substitute salmon for my dish. We sat upstairs. Quieter, but hot! No air movement or ceiling fans. Rough! We had to ask for ice a few times to go with our room temp water. Ambience was nicer and trendier at the bottom, but very loud and busy.Special Features:
- Clyde Common Experiencebowenbill24Dined on 8/8/2014Very fit for 'hipster foodies' and us 'nearly senior 50+ year olds' alike...6 of us gathered in the raucous dining atmosphere that is Clyde Common...we ordered the breadth of the main dinner menu and all came away well fed, well beveraged and feeling that much cooler for our efforts...too bad we couldn't get into the neighboring ACE Hotel, maybe next time!Special Features:
- delectable food- a bit loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014We've been here before and had a great time- delicious food as always. This time the music was cranked up a bit too loud- too loud to even hear someone else if they talked loudly/somewhat shouted. The food was amazing- great drinks, decent service. Their charcuterie plate was outstanding and their old fashioned was simply delicious! The food presentation was also beautiful.Special Features:
- Saturday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014I was able to call in advance and increase our reservation size without a problem. We were seated on the mezzanine level, which would have been cozier if the noise and heat from the main dining room didn't travel upwards. Main course took a while to arrive, but worth the wait. Our party enjoyed the foie gras, lamb grill, buffalo steak, chinook salmon, and branzino as everyone cleared their plates. I chose this location for dinner because it was a special occasion, and I knew the choice of meat would appeal to my husband. Our waiter was extremely knowledgeable but lacked patience when dealing with some of our guests. It's a bit spendy for a large group, but 2-4 diners would be perfect. Definitely make a reservation to be seated right away.Special Features:
- Great food. Way too much noise.MerileeDined on 8/1/2014The food was delicious. The noise level was antisocial, hard to have a conversation. (OpenTable's maximum noise rating is 'Energetic.' It was worse than that.) When I asked our server if a fish on the menu was sustainable, she was bewildered. This at a high-end restaurant in a foodie town? I did my own research on my phone -- the fish was sustainable, and sublime.Special Features:
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014the food was very well done, the bar offered a great selection of drinks, and the vibe of the restaurant was very artsy and modern.Special Features:
- classy and great serviceblivDined on 7/26/2014food was good although a little pricey which is to be expected. Calamari appetizer and lavendar lemonade were both absolutely delicious. Great service and atmosphere although due to all the mid-20s hipsters it got a bit loud at times.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and great servicePdxdinerDined on 7/24/2014We were lucky to get a 7:00 reservation and everything was fabulous: the food, service and wine.Special Features:
- Great MealEater10000VIPDined on 7/24/2014We come to the bar often and De used to have dinner. I had a negroni to start and we split a simple salad. My spouse had the salmon, and I had the pasta, which was very flavorful. We will certainly return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- !!bvvvvvoooDined on 7/22/2014The gnocchi was great but the portion was small for $23. I didn't really like how "open" the place was. It would have been nice if there were some booths, etc.Special Features:
- Very Rustic - Not what I expectedLMod1234Dined on 7/20/2014This restaurant was amongst the top 5 of the list we received from the Auto Rental company. Despite the fact that we had a reservation and there were 9 empty tables; we waited 17 minutes to be seated. Another 5 minutes passed before we received beverage service. They offered an average Brunch menu eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. The only note worthy item on the menu was "Not Available". Considering the exposed wiring, weathered furniture, chipped paint and peeling drywall I expected the food and service to be great. Fortunately the price of the food was acceptable.Special Features:
- ridiculously loud stereoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/13/2014Great food but unnecessarily noisy ambience. Solicitous waitstaff. Great location.Special Features:
- KG2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014Very creative, yummy food. The roasted rhubarb soup was amazing. The noise level was way too loud. Difficult to have dinner conversation even upstairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.