370-A Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02215Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cliorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6175367200x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday – Friday: 6:30am - 10:45am, Saturday: 7:00am – 10:45am, Sunday: 7:00am –12:00pm; Dinner: Monday – Thursday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm, Friday – Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, French
- Executive Chef: Kenneth Oringer
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A maximum of 12 guests at one table is allowed the dining room. For larger parties up to 55, please call us directly.
A credit card deposit is required for parties of 5 or more. Cancellation must be done 48 hours prior or charge of $55.00 per person will be made. A charge $75.00 per person is applied for "no shows". Reservations must be confirmed 24hours prior to date or the reservation will be cancelled.
- Private Party Contact: Michael Anthony 6175367200x
A word from Clio
With an emphasis on artful presentations and exotic ingredients, Clio’s Asian-inflected French/New American cuisine excites the palate with dramatic flavors, textures and techniques. Chef Ken Oringer’s unique style has earned him a James Beard Award for Best Chef Northeast, as well as praise from Gourmet magazine, Esquire and more. In early 2012, the dining room and bar received an extensive renovation from original designer Peter Niemitz, setting the stage for the next 15 years of Clio.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Clio reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)special occasion (58)romantic (34)notable wine list (33)neighborhood gem (10)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)great for lunch (3)good for groups (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good but expensivePenendenVIPDined on 10/17/2014I don't mind paying up if the quality of food, wine list and ambiance merit it but for a limited wine list on a table squeezed in beside the bar, the prices seem high. The food was generally good but the skate was not well prepared.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb for a special occasionribbyVIPDined on 10/15/2014Food incomparably exquisite, service perfect, prices very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/3/2014Clio is one of the best French restaurants in Boston, maybe at the very top of the list. Both the butter poached lobster and the lamb porterhouse were fabulous. There was a level of inventiveness not present in other Boston establishments. Service was fabulous tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully inventiveetktDined on 10/3/2014We had the 5 course tasing menu. We we requested a substitution for the dessert course and the staff accomodated us after checking with the chef. The overall meal was extremely creative and flavorful. The unusual combinations of ingredients created surprising and entirely delicious sensations. As other reviewers have commented, the tables are quite closely packed and neighboring conversations can often intrude but the quality of the food more than compensated for any distractions. The servers were all very attentive. Overall, a delightful evening. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Excellent DinneragtcoolDined on 9/30/2014Had the 5 course with wine pairing. Food was top notch and elegantly presented and the service was warm and approachable.Special Features:
- Not in a hurry to returnJML51VIPDined on 9/30/2014First of all, what happened to the tablecloths? The tables were bare without even a placement. Not very inviting. We sat and waited quite some time before a waiter appeared and when he did, he was extremely inpatient and was not happy that four of us were asking questions about the menu. We then sat another 15 minutes until he offerred drinks. My friend is a vegetarian and asked that the chef prepare a vegetable dish for her with anything he had on hand. The waiter didn't think he would but would ask. Another wait. When he returned, he said she had to choose a dish from the menu. Throughout the meal, the waiter was inattentive and not friendly. The restaurant was extrememly noisy. The food was good but the portions were tiny.Special Features:
- Great foodLeonDined on 9/26/2014Food was great and creative. The dishes infused Chinese and French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OllieDined on 9/20/2014Once we figured out how menu worked we were ok with it. Would have liked to be able to change out entree on 5 course menu. The 9 course seemed like a lot of food. Now that we know how things work would go back for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is AWESOME but...TseWhatDined on 9/20/2014We had our 9th anniversary dinner at Clio. The food is outstanding, we both thoroughly enjoyed every plate of the tasting menu (5 course and 9 course). BUT the restaurant seating arrangement is very tight, it feels like we are on top of our neighbor, and can hear their conversations and vice versa. Also, the wait staff messed up presenting our plates a few times, wrong plates came out, I had my wife's plate and she had mine. Even once, I had to correct the staff, telling him this is not my plate. With the price that we paid, we feel that those things should not happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014The cuisine was creative tasty and wonderful. Service was outstanding, very choreographed and unobtrusive. The noise level was painfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- clio - good food and service butdiner21VIPDined on 9/16/2014The menu included both a la carte and multi-course offerings. The service team worked well together. The decor was luxurious simplicity - a long banquette on one wall, corner oval banquettes and central tables. The wine list was quite expensive as were some of the menu offerings. That being said, everything we ordered was delicious. The sour note was walking in with a confirmed reservation but being seated right in front of the kitchen entry and service area! Particularly annoying when the group immediately before us, with no reservation, was seated at an identical table in a much more desirable location. That was disappointing. If there is a next time, we will certainly mention this. There is also a lower level sashimi bar, not sampled.
- DottieVIPDined on 9/15/2014Food outstanding. Waiter charming and explained menu well---it is totally different kind of menu. overall enjoyable eveningSpecial Features:
- Good but dissappointingINGGROUPDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I decided to enjoy an evening at one of Boston"s best. Upon exiting the car we were informed of the $18 valet charge (no problem). I wanted to pay by credit card and was informed it was cash only (the valet parking stub stated Credit Cards Accepted: VISA, MC, Discover, AMEX accepted on the stub). Finally, after the attendant making a call he indicated the $18 could be added to our dinner bill (ultimately, we weren't charged at all). The food was very good and the service wonderful. Though tastefully done, we were a little disspointed in the decor. The only other item that stood out in our experience was the table across from us; one of the two guys was dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. What can I say?Special Features:
- Memorable momentsyljefDined on 9/12/2014I had a great time with my two daughters. It was their first time in Boston and first time dining at Clio. We enjoyed the 9 service degustation menu. All the meals were very well executed. The meals were complex without giving you the impression of containing too many ingredients. The service was great except for two small details: one of my glasses of wine that was to be paired with the duck was served after I had started the meal and two meals were very little described (I always enjoy to know what I am eating). We had a terrific experience and hope to come back next time we are in town. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great tasting menuPersnicketydinerVIPDined on 8/30/2014I enjoyed an amazing dinner here on Saturday night. I had the vegetable 5 course tasting with the wine pairing. Everything was very tasty and the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- you must be kiddingrealworldDined on 8/29/2014food is delivered with the statement "here you go ladies" (i am male). our waiter is told of the mistake. he tells the person who made this mistake. the same person delivers food again and says "here are your salads ladies". the waiter says that he told the person already. i ask to speak to the manager. i am told that the "person" making the mistake is the manager! the manager never comes over to apologize. when one of our party told him at the end of the meal that he could have at least come over and said something, his answer was that he preferred to "stay away". what a manager! great awareness and service! no thanks. will not be back.Special Features:
- The remodel was a big mistakeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014We knew Clio from previous dining experiences, but the place was remodeled and changed the concept. While the food is still outstanding, the ambience does not fit the quality of the food nor the price. For $300-dinner for two I would expect at least a table cloth and waiter who don't wear jeans. Probably not coming back any time soon.Special Features:
- Not what we expectedDavekDined on 8/23/2014Fixed Price Tasting Menu. last time there we had a full a la carte menu. Like to choose what I want and have as little as I am in the mood for.Special Features:
- Expected MorevtredheadDined on 8/23/2014The food at Clio was absolutely amazing. My issues with this place were the service and the noise level. For a place where the average bill is around $400, I expect a little more. My friend ordered the 10-course dinner, and my husband and I split the 5-course. Several times, they put my friend's plate in front of my husband. I ordered a martini and was asked if I'd like olives or a twist. I asked for olives. The drink arrived with a twist of lemon. The waiter apologized, took it away, and returned with one with olives. I took a sip. The drink was permeated with lemon flavor. The bartender had fished out the lemon twist and dropped in some olives instead of making a fresh drink. I sent it back for a new one. Not impressed by that.
- Beyond compareBrooklineFoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the best meals I've ever had. Each of the five-course--from the seasonal tasting menu--was better than the last. The A-5 Wagyu beef was smooth, buttery, cooked to perfection, and beyond compare--certainly the best beef I've ever had. I've had many great meals in my life, from New York, Paris, and Rome to London, Tokyo, Seoul, and Beijing; this dinner (on Saturday 23 August) rivaled the very best of them. The five courses included sashimi, corn velouté, lobster tail in butter sauce, chicken roulade, and rhubarb dessert. I added the Wagyu beef, an heirloom tomato salad, and tomato-water martini as supplements. Ten stars out of five! Perfection!Special Features:
- ClioMcdclanVIPDined on 8/20/2014The food is exquisite and so inspired. The waitstaff is attentive and knowledgeable. Fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food experienceFoodiekfDined on 8/16/2014We did the 10 course priz fuze menu. Every dish was a beautiful and delicious experience. Even had a chance to meet the chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedmikelVIPDined on 8/16/2014The website for the restaurant never mentioned that the menu was fixed price whether you order 5 or 10 courses. Service was slow and the waiter did not seem to understand a food sensitivity vs an allergy. The prices were exorbitant with a glass of white wine costing $20 each. My husband and I rarely skimp on price but when we feel taken advantage of we get angry. Will not go back.Special Features:
- Weird and wonderfulepiannDined on 8/14/2014Clio was a belated anniversary present to ourselves--not for the everyday for those of us with limited pocketbooks, but a really wonderful experience. The only available menus were 5 or 10 course tasting menus, which, since that was what we wanted, were great. The chef combines fascinating ingredients into flavors and textures we'd never had before. The food was spectacular, the pacing was perfect. The bartender also had some wonderful creations involving tequila and cinnamon smoke. The one hitch was that, while they were careful to ask about food allergies or aversions at the beginning, we nevertheless were served something on our "no" list just as we left. The restaurant called immediately to let us know, but c'mon. Still, would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dineonDined on 8/13/2014Everything about Clio is terrific, from being met at the door to the food to table service, which might have been a little over the top. A lovely 'quiet' room with a nice buzz. I was surprised that you could not order a la carte but were required to order a minimum of a 5 course meal - delicious (sometimes a little salty) but a lot of food! Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food in BostonBaz1Dined on 8/11/2014The food was fantastic, service excellent from knowledgable staff and good advice on wine. Nothing was too much trouble.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014My wife and I attended this restaurant for a birthday. Truly superior service and artistic food. The restaurant was also very accommodating when we didn't like 1 of the items on the price fixed menu they gladly offered alternatives to ensure our meals were to our liking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visit...AlecVIPDined on 7/26/2014Tasting menu was fantastic. Accommodated our requests. Service was flawless. The only downer was the table packed in next to a solo weird dinner who laughed to himself through his meal.Special Features:
- Numero 1 in BostonTavoDined on 7/25/2014We had a celebration dinner in March at a restaurant rated #1 in Boston half a block away from Clio and while the experience was good, we questioned why it was rated so; from our perspective Clio is #1. The food was excellent. Everything our party of five ordered, appetizers and entrees, was wildly praised. The service was outstanding, our waiter had a total knowledge of the dishes, their many ingredients and how each dish was prepared, and same applied to the wine list The atmosphere is sophisticated and elegant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RuedeRivoliDined on 7/22/2014Excellent experience. Especially the service. We will go back.Special Features:
- Disappointing returnsavoryeaterVIPDined on 7/22/2014My husband and I hadn't been to Clio for several years. We were very disappointed. The service was pretentious yet poor for such a high-priced restaurant. Our appetizer was brought before the one for our friends, which arrived at least five minutes later. Everything was about presentation, but our beet salad wasn't terribly tasty. I had the skate wing. The sauce was nice, but the texture of the fish was stringy and unappealing. This may have been due to my choice -- skate wing can be a gamble. But my husband's salmon was flavorless and undercooked (he had asked for it cooked through). Coffee was not hot enough. Given the high prices of this restaurant, we expected a better meal, with less pretention and better quality.
- Really Amazing!LisaMDined on 7/18/2014We were a group of 9 which I split in 2 tables (unknown to Clio's). The 50-80 year olds at one table, the 18-25 year olds at the other. The service was the best I have had at both tables. The waiter with the younger group was so knowledgeable with cocktails as well as food, the "kids" had a great experience. Our waiter, at the "old" table did an amazing job of recommending food and pairing wine. It was all around a GREAT experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Birthday at Clio Restaurant YumClio9Dined on 7/18/2014Every bite was bursting with flavor. I loved the tomato water martini. I could have had ten of theses little flavorful drinks! Our first taste was of a little cube with lebne. It felt firm but immediately melted in one's mouth. The Spanish ham was outstanding. My only concern was the pacing. There was a long break when it came to the waygu beef that we order and the entire tasting took approximately three hours? I was ready to fall a sleep as I lost interest in the last 5 courses as it just took way too long overall. If I would return, I would make it known that I only have two hours to eat and that the need to move things along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clio Food and Drink ReviewBiscuitsDined on 7/14/2014Food was very good. one thing that let the restaurant down was that the waiter waited until our glasses were empty before asking if we would like another drink. Sat for a while waiting for more drinks. Apart from that lovely restaurant, but have been to better restaurants in Scotland (i.e The Torridon)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best for special occasionsGoodthingsDined on 7/14/2014They always go the extra mile with advance notice. Customized menus, so many GF options. We had the 7 course tasting dinner with wine pairing and they worked around our dietary restrictions for one of the best meals I've experienced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CLIO's is excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2014Excellent experience for out Anniversary. Attention to detail and level of service from our waiter, Steven, was amazing.Special Features:
- Lived up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014My new fiance and I were in boston to celebreate our engagment. Everyone was great, the food was inventive and expertly prepared. Favorites were the artichokes, foie gras, and tuna with burratta.Special Features:
- Spectacular cookingAJ72Dined on 6/28/2014The roasted beets with bacon emulsion were killer. Abalone delicious. Sea Bass is hard to mess up but this was perfect. Skipped desert because that part of the menu seemed substantially less interesting -- all dairy and peanut butter and chocolate, but nothing light and spacey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedLizzyDined on 6/26/2014We decided to sit at the bar. There wine list was limited. No cabernet's. No jack Daniels . The food was good. Did not walk away stuffed which is a good thing. I would not go back. If I spend that kind of money on food,it should be great!!
- immaculateAdventuristDined on 6/25/2014Clio is the picture of perfection with intriguing, delicious food artfully plated and impeccable service. The food is among the best I've ever tasted. As much as we all eat with our eyes first (and these plates are beautiful!), I keep coming back for the playful and inventive dishes on offer here. The use of exotic or unexpected ingredients (green strawberries or bee pollen to name two), brings joy to a food adventurist such as myself. The service is absolutely without flaw. From the friendly joking valet staff, prompt seating by host/ess all the way to the apologetic table bussers, the staff were personable efficient and knowledgeable about the food and wine. This is a special occasion place for me and they make the evening special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 942 reviews are from the Clio reviews archive.