Cleo - SBE
1717 Vine St.
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Cleo - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cleorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3239621711x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily from 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Danny Elmaleh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Cleo's award-winning Mediterranean cuisine by Chef Danny Elmaleh at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Cleo. Cleo accommodates up to 200 guests with on-site and off-site catering, design by famed-photographer Matthew Rolston, custom menus by Chef Danny Elmaleh, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Cleo - SBE
Mediterranean Spice, Hollywood Glam... Don’t just peek behind our curtain, step inside and discover a side of Hollywood that’s typically under wraps. Explore a destination where eclectic Mediterranean cuisine takes center stage while our supporting players deliver the glitz and glam of the big screen straight to your table. Everyone has a seat (and at least two plates to share). From our open kitchen, the intoxicating scents of exotic culinary creations mix freely with the sound of boisterous laughter amongst friends both old and new. Just like the great Queen of Egypt, Cleo always delivers experiences you’ll never forget. But with cocktails this tempting, we won’t blame you if you do. Cleo has been named to Los Angeles Magazine's "Top 10 Best New Restaurants" and OpenTable's "50 Hottest Restaurants in the U.S."Continued
The SLS Las Vegas is now open and taking dining reservations. Your table awaits. Book Now
The SLS Las Vegas is now open and taking dining reservations. Your table awaits. Book Now
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
Cleo - SBE - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Cleo - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
209 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (130)hot spot (107)special occasion (88)good for groups (71)vibrant bar scene (68)romantic (61)late-night find (48)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Flavorful!LarryMVIPDined on 8/29/2014One word describes the food at Cleo - flavorful. Intense, but not offensive, complex flavors blossomed from every small plate we tried. Order dishes you think you know and discover how they can be taken to the next level.Special Features:
- Less would be morePJLAVIPDined on 8/24/2014You'd think a nominal Mediterranean themed menu would slam dunk the regional cuisine. Alas, no. Hummus drenched in lemon and garlic (a gloppy wet mass). Virtually inedible and unrecognizable. Roasted lamb and Israeli couscous? 1/8" thin slices the width of beef jerky atop a soggy heap. Getting the theme? Everything wet, damp, blah. Meh. Bastilla? Surely they couldn't muck up this Moroccan delight. Alas, yes. Chicken/duck filling nicely done; even the filo wrap passable. Then why oh why plop it onto an orange reduction so the crispy filo can absorb it all and transform into a viscous wad of starch? One highlight: crispy Brussel sprouts. If you can get past the residue of oil soaking the coffee filter paper in which it is served. Yikes.
- Yum! If you like shared plates!mofoodDined on 8/22/2014My only complaint is that it isn't open for lunch too! Our dinner was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood choicesheldonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Pre-Hollywood Bowl, this was a great find. Interesting cocktails, interesting food, reasonable wine list.Special Features:
- One word: Brussels! !!!Roxy57Dined on 8/18/2014The food was incredible. A bit pricey, but Def worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot HollwoodLadyYayaDined on 8/17/2014Great spot for dinner before heading to the Greek theater for concert. Smack in the middle of all the action in Hollywood, yet not touristy. We noshed on hors d'oeuvres at the bar. Great service, great atmosphere, eats were delish. We're definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLJordanDined on 8/16/2014Went on a first date to this place and it was perfect! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Nice dining in LAluv2dineDined on 8/15/2014We were in LA for a conference and wanted to find a place for dinner not far from our hotel at Universal Studios. I checked TripAdvisor and decided on Cleo at Hollywood and Vine. We were able to take the metro which was really convenient. When we arrived we sat in the outer area which was kind of the lobby/bar area. It was a little quieter but didn't feel like were were part of the restaurant. The service was good. We had one waitress who helped with choices. The portions are small and meant to order a few things and share. This is what we did. We enjoyed our dinner but wouldn't say it was the best or can't wait to go back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved by the manager!!TinaODined on 8/9/2014Our visit had a shaky start! The first half of our visit was about 1 star overall.We had a reservation for at least 4 weeks in advance. When we arrived we were seated at a table with long benches. Not very practical for the older folks. Then they had trouble moving us (the restaurant had just opened). They finally moved us, but tried to squeeze 4 people into a booth for 3. The server seemed annoyed that she had to work with us. I asked for some serving spoons from another server, he bit my head off. The second half was greatly improved, I think the manager knew something was not right, he came over and assessed the situation, he was great and tried to make up for the trouble we had. After that the server was much more accommodating.Special Features:
- CLEOOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014This place was a wonderful experience, the food was amazing. The ambience was super nice. The waiteress was amazing, ALLIE!! Thank you for a wonderful night, this place was walking distance to the show at the pantages.Special Features:
- Cleo is our favorite!BabslovesKurtDined on 8/6/2014We go to Hollywood to see plays at the Pantages and always go to Cleo. Wonderful atmosphere, great food and drinks!Special Features:
- Great, Flavorful FoodGetty20132809VIPDined on 8/1/2014The lamb tagine and mousakka are flavorful and very tender. The spicy potatoes with cilantro aioli is good but smokey. The baba ghanoush is also very smokey, carrot dip is sweet and spiced well.Special Features:
- Love itsdsrbDined on 8/1/2014When ever i'm in Hollywood I must go to Cleo. The tapas are so good, I only wish they were open earlier (6pm open). I'll be back soon!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/31/2014Great choice before theater (Pantages). Food was great and service was good. Small plates wonderful for sharing amongst 4 people. Just enough to taste many dishes. We will return next time we go to the theaterSpecial Features:
- Food good but portions too smallUpscalehealthynaturalVIPDined on 7/30/2014The spanakopita was two tiny squares. The restaurant needs to be more generous w/ portions. Also the shrimp was nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerMalibuJDined on 7/30/2014We had dinner here before going to the Pantages for a show. It was great!Special Features:
- Great FoodMiclevDined on 7/28/2014The food was very, very good. the place is a bit too dark and the decor is odd and greySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, but Good FoodfluxmasterDined on 7/27/2014The service was a little spotty, but the server was friendly. The location was very noisy. We were in a group and it was difficult to hear each other. We ordered everything to share, and almost everything we ordered was delicious. The server said some of the items were spicy, but they weren't spicy at all. We all enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Nice discoveryfoodie007VIPDined on 7/27/2014I decided to try Cleo during Dine LA and so glad I did. The food was great and our server Helen was very helpful. The Lotus Flower cocktail was very refreshing and the items on the menu was fantastic. Some of my favorites: 1. Cigars 2. Spanakopita 3. Hummus 4. Baba ganoush 5. KabobsSpecial Features:
- fantastic food, sub par serviceRoseDined on 7/26/2014The food was wonderful, the desserts were all disappointing and our waitress was MIA.Special Features:
- too noisyMikeVIPDined on 7/26/2014ask for a seat in the bar if you want to talk. Food is very good, innovative mediterranean, small bites (some too small and not easily shareable).
- Wonderful TapasNateDined on 7/25/2014My best friend and I scheduled an evening of tapas indulgence at Cleo and were surprised, impressed, and in love with the service, ambiance and food. There was a large menu to choose from and the servers were patient as we continued to order from the menu and the drink list throughout the evening. Wonderful experience and highly recommended!Special Features:
- great placeandrewDined on 7/23/2014Very helpful waiting team - Jay and Stacey - together with John, helped us through the ordering and we were very satisfied. The recommendation of Brussel Sprouts was excellent as was all the food. One of out best meals of the trip.Special Features:
- PCHgalPCHgalDined on 7/23/2014We decided to try this restaurant before going to the theater at the recommendation of a friend. We were told to not miss some appetizer items and the brussel sprouts. It was during LA Restaurant Week so we ordered the multi-course meals and a side order of the brussel sprouts. The bread, hummus and yogurt dip were delicious. I ordered the Chicken Tagine. My dinner partner ordered the Chicken and Lamb skewers. The Chicken Tagine was dry and lacked any taste. The chicken skewer was a bit dry but okay. The lamb was in the form of 1 large sausage, not pieces like the chicken and the meat was not recognizable as lamb. We ate very little of the dinner and waited for the brussel sprouts but they never came. Dessert was a 30 min. wait.
- Excellent!FabianoFeijoDined on 7/22/2014The food at Cleo is seasoned and cooked with perfection. Don't miss "the" Brussels Sprouts...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/22/2014Good food, although not as popping delicious as usual. Our wait person was less than adequate. He definitely got points off for telling us toward the end of our meal that the last dish we were expecting was unavailable. Also, he didn't offer us a dessert menu but just brought the check.
- always consistentcleoloverDined on 7/20/2014Cleo is always great!! Gotta hace the brussel sproutsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014The service is amazing. Each dish is explained in detail.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Food good except for artichoke flat bread which they graciously took back and did not charge us. Very noisy! Good service. My daughter LOVES this place so we will likely return when we come to LA to visit with her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Exceptional Culinary FindCalabasasDinerDined on 7/17/2014My daughter and I enjoyed a scrumptious pre-theater dinner. We selected a sampling of small plates from the mezze menu. The Brussel sprouts, moussaka, and tagine were exceptional. I look forward to trying the octopus and sweetbreads when I return with my husband to celebrate his birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpectationsLAFoodJunkieDined on 7/16/2014Did not meet my expectations. The brussels where the best thing on the menu!! The tables were to close to each other and the ambiance was not up to LA standards.
- Great food. Great service.PerezDined on 7/14/2014Every thing we eat was very good. The only item that we weren't so excited about was the ravioli. The Brussels sprouts were good. I've had better sprouts before but the food overall was worth coming back for. The service was good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Service unfriendlymimi10019VIPDined on 7/9/2014Had an amazing time eating at Cleo. Our server was not interested. We gave him 20% tip plus only because thats how we roll. But he wasnt attentive. He needed to be flagged down many times. He didn't smile. Just would prefer a better server otherwise, hosts and everyone else was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything I expected...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2014I read all the reviews on Trip Advisor and it was everything I wanted and expected before seeing the performance at the Pantages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not GreatYumYumYumDined on 7/5/2014The restaurant has two seating areas... the main dining room and another smaller dining room/bar that feels like your almost in the hotel lobby. We requested sitting in the main dining room which felt more comfortable to us than the smaller dining room. Our waiter was odd and always seemed like he was in a rush. He recommended that we order five items for the two of us. We started with 3 dips, the brussel sprouts, and two kabobs. Our waiter made us feel like we shouldn't order more than that. It was definitely not enough food. Everything was delicious and more refined than the more "hole in the wall" places we've been for middle eastern food. But, nothing was amazing and it wasn't so much better than we'd be rushing back.Special Features:
- very disappointingeatoutalotDined on 7/5/2014Hostesses very unprofessional and have a do not care attitude. Server was good but food nothing to rave about.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD!!teachermom1954VIPDined on 7/3/2014My friend I was with actually had been to the restaurant before and knew how great it was. Food was really good as was the service. Will go again when attending the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIGGER TABLESMariDinnerDined on 7/3/2014There is nothing worse than when I am with only one other person and I get sat at a small table for two. I understand it's about space but don't make those small tables. THEY SUCK! We are constantly moving dishes to make room for more food and it makes me not want to order a lot of food. The table next to us asked to be moved and we should have done the same thing. The other table next to us was so close we were in each other's conversation. No good.Special Features:
- foodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014a little noisy for friday date night but the food is so great it makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tight spotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014It was my birthday dinner with a few friends, and i didn't receive any kind of birthday love from the restaurant. I had told them it was my birthday when I made the reservations. They had seated us in the tightest spot in the restaurant. There was a lot of people which is good to see in a restaurant. I feel like the pictures from the site and what I saw didn't match. The place seemed so much smaller. The food was ok, it was really greasy for an upscale restaurant. The drinks were way better than the food.Special Features: