Cleo - SBE
1717 Vine St.
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Cleo - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cleorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (323) 962-1711
- Hours of Operation:
Daily from 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Danny Elmaleh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Cleo's award-winning Mediterranean cuisine by Chef Danny Elmaleh at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Cleo. Cleo accommodates up to 200 guests with on-site and off-site catering, design by famed-photographer Matthew Rolston, custom menus by Chef Danny Elmaleh, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Cleo - SBE
Named Los Angeles Magazine's "Top 10 Best New Restaurants" and OpenTable's "50 Hottest Restaurants in the U.S.”, Cleo sits at the epicenter of Hollywood glam and Mediterranean charm. The open kitchen upholds the prestige of Cleopatra herself, with the intoxicating scents of exotic spices creating mouth-watering culinary creations. Cuisine paired with striking mixology, Cleo always delivers experiences you’ll never forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cleo - SBE - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Cleo - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (137)hot spot (118)good for groups (94)special occasion (83)romantic (64)vibrant bar scene (56)neighborhood gem (51)late-night find (37)notable wine list (14)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Perfect pre theatre restarauntOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014We have been to this restaurant before, and it never fails to impress us with its friendly waiters, fresh and delicious food and quick service. Since we were going to the Pantages, it's location across the street was perfect. We did feel a bit rushed, and didn't like we could relax and enjoy our dinner before the show. It is a bit loud and the tables are very close together, but overall it was great and very convenient.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was disappointed in the lack of serviceMrsNVIPDined on 11/15/2014I have been to Cleo's a number of times, this last visit was to celebrate my daughter and son's birthdays. I mentioned this when the reservations were made, the lack of service from being seated (we waited over 30 mins), to the waiter not checking on our food order(s), not refiling our drinks and no mention of the birthdays. This was a disappointing visit. Being an "SBE member" garners nothing except a 10% discount.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanVIPDined on 11/13/2014Super fun place if you're looking for an energetic, dynamic and vibrant night scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumm!biscuittVIPDined on 11/13/2014the drinks were delicious! the food was even better. we got about 6 things and each was amazing brussel sprouts, cauliflower, flat bread, lamb shank, fish... yes please!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantJillianDined on 11/12/2014The food here is exotic and delicious. The feta dip is amazing - creamy and yummy with the wonderful hot bread (and I don't normally like feta). The dips are all great. The vegetable dishes, kebabs, tagine dishes, scallops, the hanger steak... so many incredibly tasty choices. The wine list is terrific. The Syrah has a cherry flavor with a teeny hint of spice. I love it. The special drinks are all fabulous - the Lotus Flower, Vinebury, Cleo Kiss, Clementina to name just a few. Beautiful flavors. The restaurant is intimate and elegant, comfy and lively. The staff are all friendly and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Middle Eastern yumm....markdmarcVIPDined on 11/8/2014Very good Middle Eastern food. Great vibe. Elegant and fun. Food was delicious. Service was very good. Everyone was so friendly and happy. Really enjoyed ourselves. We rarely come to Hollywood...but this will be high on our list of places to return to!Special Features:
- blah. horrible experiencebarabDined on 11/8/2014food was excellent along with the drinks but service was slow and the front desk person/maitre d with attitude.. gotta go. super rude.Special Features:
- The Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014I go to Cleo's every time I go to see a play. The food is always great! Every server is fantastic. They are all knowledgeable about the drinks and the food. The service is fast. Last time I was there I was running late, they brought the food out fast and we still had time to relax. 5 starsSpecial Features:
- Loved it!gdbelleDined on 11/6/2014Really enjoyed our dinner at Cleo. Such a cool place - really great food and service and a beautiful setting. We had tickets to the Pantages and they got us in and out, no problem. Took one star off for ambiance because seating is really on top of each other if you are in a booth which didn't really bother me, but bothered my dinner date. Jay was our server and he was fantastic - took all of his food recommendations and enjoyed everything! Gotta try the brussel sprouts. Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a great spaceCorbinVIPDined on 11/2/2014From beginning (cocktails) to end (desserts), a feast for the palate. While the menu may be daunting for some, exploring it is richly rewarded with amazing tastes, unusual spicing, unexpected pleasures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indelibly Amazing!!samdeliDined on 11/2/2014From the service to the food, this restaurant spoiled us in nearly every regard. Great location, nice ambience, & most importantly, excellent tapas style food! The charred Brussels sprouts were out of this world! The duck & chicken pastry puff was a heavenly balance between sweet n savory that made my mouth water till the final bites. Beet salad, Mmm! Centered with a 2.5 hr slow-poached egg whose running yolk imbibes the pasta sauce with a flavor there aren't words quite yet designed for, delicious dish of ravioli. Sticky toffee bread pudding to end it all, culinary ecstasy and the onset of a slumberous, intoxicating state of food comatose. To say the least, I would suggest this over any other restaurant in Hollywood! Bravo Cleo...bravo!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014The food was incredible, as always. However, the service was pathetically slow and got it wrong a couple of times.Special Features:
- My experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014The food was ok the prices was correct the restaurant is a very original and classy place .. Was too much noise
- EnjoyableSylviaDined on 11/1/2014Good food and armosphere. Very close to the Pantages Theatre. opens at 6pm and booked heavily for theatre but service was great and sensitive to time. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always...MrBrightside0078Dined on 10/29/2014Stellar! 2nd time there, look forward to my 3rd. Welcomed upon arrival, great hosts and server was spot on! I do not recall her name or the hosts but please pass on my gratitude. See you on my 3rd visit, thank you again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerfoodsparadiseDined on 10/20/2014Found Cleo last minute because my girlfriend guessed the first place I was planning on taking her to. Thank goodness for that!!! Awesome service, I really wish I could recall our waiters name because he was amazing. Even hooked us up with 2 extra small plates because of our Anniversary. We never went wanting, always received water at the appropriate time. Brussel sprouts. Get them. The hype is real. Great experience overall, will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New ExperienceSyrinitiDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant gave me the impression of what I would think a speakeasy would be. Dark and mysterious, Loud and Energetic. So much to share, so much to see. An open restaurant, noticeable uniforms, excellent customer service. It is great for groups to share plates of new tastes.Special Features:
- Super SodiumOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Decent menu of Middle-Eastern food. Excited to try this place. However, when eating it was obvious that every dish for the most part was WAY over-salted. So much so that the next day I woke up and couldn't get my wedding ring off if I wanted to, my fingers were so puffy. What is up with restaurants that use so much salt? It is NOT necessary and in this case, pretty much ruined the dining experience. I have eaten at many traditional Lebanese, Mediterranean and other Middle-Eastern restaurants that do NOT use salt like this. The natural spice flavors come out and the food is delicious. With so many options, we won't be back.
- Terrific!foodyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Great food, great service, wonderful menu of small plates....terrific time for all!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This isn't my first time eating there and it won't be my last. I love the food. Its always great!!!Special Features:
- Quality at a great price!OCfoodieDined on 10/17/2014We dined at Cleo before the Jersey Boys performance at Pantages. Food was absolutely outstanding. Every dish was distinctive and the portions of each item were more than enough for two to share. We had appetizers, entrees, desert and the tab was less than $50.00 ---- unheard of Hollywood. What a gem!Special Features:
- Great food at CleoZippywebbVIPDined on 10/16/2014Had a group of 6. We ordered many dishes at different times. Our waiter did a great job of making sure we were done in time to see the show at the Pantages. What really surprised us was that every dish we ordered was divine. We ordered lots of different things and each was so good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014Great restaurant. Interesting, but very good food. Our server [Helen] was friendly and attentive. We had dinner there before a show at the Pantages. Was perfect.Special Features:
- Good for Pre TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Cleo is a short walk from the Pantages, so we ate there before our show. I liked the small plates format, and the food was tasty. While I could read the menu with just a little strain, my partner needed the help from an app to have enough light to read the menu. While we could converse OK, the noise was right on the edge of being uncomfortable. I would add another star if the lighting and noise issue were addressed. There was a bit of a lull in service before we got our waiter's attention in order to obtain dessert menus. Our desserts, the flourless chocolate cake, which was more like a molten lava cake, and the sticky toffee pudding were pretty good. I would consider returning for a pre-theater dinner.
- Hollywood genFoodmavenVIPDined on 10/14/2014Right near Pantages. Small plate mediterranean. Fabulous drinks. Very tasty food -- great variety -- watermelon salad, flatbreads, octopus. Every dish was a homre run. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showEatoutDined on 10/11/2014I made the reservation here after reading some of the reviews on YELP! and I was NOT disappointed. This place (a little hard to find) is right around the corner from the PANTAGES theater. Being in Hollywood, I made the reservation for later...naturally I got there earlier than my reservation and they were accommodating and moved up my reservation. The restaurant is cozy and they drop the lights for romance although I did notice that the elderly patrons had their cell phone flashlights on to read the menu. The food is served in small plates so that you can make your meal as many courses as you want. A lot of their selections are pork and lamb. This is a fine Mediterranean restaurant and would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FestiveBadnightVIPDined on 10/11/2014Wonderful place. Love the food! Fantastic value. All the food is served as it becomes ready through the course of your meal. This makes ordering various items throughout the dinning event easy and fun! Was a little disappointed this time as one of my items didn't arrive in a timely manner, so had to cancel it as we were heading to a show! It was really busy! The server was very nice, and I enjoyed her!Special Features:
- disappointment before the theaterontheQDined on 10/11/2014Went to Cleo Pre-Pantages. It was Saturday night so I was ready for a crowd. We were seated and had to wait for our waiter to show up. When he did we placed our drink and food order right away. Got my drink and our first 3 small plates promptly. We then did not see our waiter again for a 30mins. When he did show up I told him we were waiting for the rest of our meal and I wanted another drink. He curtly told me our order was coming. 15 more minutes and we were brought one dish of pork belly that was half cold. The rest of our plates came together about 10 minutes later. The food was good but $$$. I have season tickets at the Pantages and I would be happy to pay for good food at this location but not for that kind of service.Special Features:
- AwesomebmackDined on 10/10/2014Cleo is a fantastic spot! Great food! Great drinks! Great service! Great atmosphere! Very clean! Peer Larson is an outstanding manager! I noticed him go by every table to make sure everyone was doing ok! He was also running drinks and food to tables which you don't see a lot of managers do! Very exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/9/2014everyone must try the artichokes. I do Not even like artichokes, but I couldn't stop eating them!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KikiKikiDined on 10/8/2014We enjoy going to Cleo before seeing shows at the Pantages Theatre. We had a delicious meal of heirloom tomatoes and burrata salad, Brussel sprouts, hanger steak and braised leg of lamb over lentils. We enjoyed it all, along with the Lotus Flower cocktail. The service was great - they didn't rush us and we made it to our show with plenty of time to spare. It is noisy, but that is not unusual these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cleo is greatroseylovesfoodDined on 10/7/2014By far my favorite restaurant. The type of place you can order something you've never had, and love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas restaurant!EatingBluntlyDined on 10/7/2014The food was amazing! We had the pork belly skewer and lebenah (sp?) Dip to start followed by the garlic shrimp and meatballs. Perfect amount of food before going to a show at the nearby Pantages theater. Plus their drinks are all made fresh with with real fruit and ingredients (no premade mixers). Yum. My only compliant relates to the host that tried to sit us in the front room that is for restaurant overflow and walk-ins...we had to tell her that we wanted to seat in the main dining room and at first she said we would have to wait a while for a seat and then we asked her manager and she said there were several 2 tops available in the main the dining room and would seat us immediately. A little annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good before going to the theatertennisgalDined on 10/3/2014Close spot if you are going to the Pantages theater. Interesting menu. Interior lighting a bit too dark for my taste. Couldn't read the menu easily. Lively. fun. Would go back if down in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner before Pantages showLAWorldFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014Cleo is the ideal dinner pick right before a show at the Pantages since it's just around the corner and the food is good and you can be done in around 1:15min. If you are not in a rush, this is a hip venue good for gathering with friends or family (probably not small children) in the heart of Hollywood. This is also a nice date spot though it's a bit dark. They offer complimentary hot bread that's uniquely served in a brown paper bag. The brussel sprouts side dish is a house specialty. Overall, a good dinner out choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, horrible noise levelMalibugirlVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food is great, service is irregular but noise is so loud you cannot talk. It was too dark to read menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All was great except for the musicdinnerDined on 9/30/2014The service was tops as was the food! The music was too loud and did not accent the wonderful feeling and the decor of the Restruant . Change your tune and I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedfoodforthoughtDined on 9/26/2014This was the second time I have been to CLEO. the first was ok and we were attending an event close by so it was easy. Service was horrible and the food was so over salted we could hardly move our fingers the next day. Needless to say we won't be going back.Special Features:
- First time to Cleo but not last.sandler01VIPDined on 9/23/2014Had a very good time with family and the food was good and fun. A bit dark but all and all very good spot.Special Features:
- still too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/22/2014I love the ambiance and the food- but, even early on a Monday nite the noise level is problematic. This week we had a great time - but, I know to never come after 6:30 or my party will be bombarded with a sonic boom that will wipe out any conversation or any other interaction. I had dinner with friends there on a Saturday nite at 8PM - and we all left in a horrible mood having been bombarded by insanely loud rock music. So awful- when the food was so good. But - I was there last Monday nite, 9/22 with two girlfriends and the music wasn't so loud, the service was great (shout out to Jay!) food was faboo and our experience was great. So keep it up Cleo!!!Special Features: