Cleo - SBE
1717 Vine St.
Los Angeles, CA 90028Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
Cleo - SBE
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cleorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3239621711x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily from 6pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Danny Elmaleh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: sbe Catering offers Cleo's award-winning Mediterranean cuisine by Chef Danny Elmaleh at any location, for intimate dinners at home, meetings at the office or elaborate parties just about anywhere. Customize your event with tray-passed service, seated dinners or chef’s stations. sbe Catering can do it all! Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
- Special Events: From intimate to grand, let sbe Events + Catering plan your perfect event at Cleo. Cleo accommodates up to 200 guests with on-site and off-site catering, design by famed-photographer Matthew Rolston, custom menus by Chef Danny Elmaleh, and premium mixology and specialty cocktails. Visit sbe.com/events or call 323.525.2400 to plan your event today.
A word from Cleo - SBE
Named Los Angeles Magazine's "Top 10 Best New Restaurants" and OpenTable's "50 Hottest Restaurants in the U.S.”, Cleo sits at the epicenter of Hollywood glam and Mediterranean charm. The open kitchen upholds the prestige of Cleopatra herself, with the intoxicating scents of exotic spices creating mouth-watering culinary creations. Cuisine paired with striking mixology, Cleo always delivers experiences you’ll never forget.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Cleo - SBE - Best Restaurants in Hollywood ›
Cleo - SBE reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (134)hot spot (111)good for groups (90)special occasion (89)romantic (60)vibrant bar scene (52)neighborhood gem (45)late-night find (41)notable wine list (12)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Found Cleo last minute because my girlfriend guessed the first place I was planning on taking her to. Thank goodness for that!!! Awesome service, I really wish I could recall our waiters name because he was amazing. Even hooked us up with 2 extra small plates because of our Anniversary. We never went wanting, always received water at the appropriate time. Brussel sprouts. Get them. The hype is real. Great experience overall, will definitely return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New ExperienceSyrinitiDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant gave me the impression of what I would think a speakeasy would be. Dark and mysterious, Loud and Energetic. So much to share, so much to see. An open restaurant, noticeable uniforms, excellent customer service. It is great for groups to share plates of new tastes.Special Features:
- Super SodiumOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/18/2014Decent menu of Middle-Eastern food. Excited to try this place. However, when eating it was obvious that every dish for the most part was WAY over-salted. So much so that the next day I woke up and couldn't get my wedding ring off if I wanted to, my fingers were so puffy. What is up with restaurants that use so much salt? It is NOT necessary and in this case, pretty much ruined the dining experience. I have eaten at many traditional Lebanese, Mediterranean and other Middle-Eastern restaurants that do NOT use salt like this. The natural spice flavors come out and the food is delicious. With so many options, we won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014This isn't my first time eating there and it won't be my last. I love the food. Its always great!!!Special Features:
- Quality at a great price!OCfoodieDined on 10/17/2014We dined at Cleo before the Jersey Boys performance at Pantages. Food was absolutely outstanding. Every dish was distinctive and the portions of each item were more than enough for two to share. We had appetizers, entrees, desert and the tab was less than $50.00 ---- unheard of Hollywood. What a gem!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2014Great restaurant. Interesting, but very good food. Our server [Helen] was friendly and attentive. We had dinner there before a show at the Pantages. Was perfect.Special Features:
- Good for Pre TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/15/2014Cleo is a short walk from the Pantages, so we ate there before our show. I liked the small plates format, and the food was tasty. While I could read the menu with just a little strain, my partner needed the help from an app to have enough light to read the menu. While we could converse OK, the noise was right on the edge of being uncomfortable. I would add another star if the lighting and noise issue were addressed. There was a bit of a lull in service before we got our waiter's attention in order to obtain dessert menus. Our desserts, the flourless chocolate cake, which was more like a molten lava cake, and the sticky toffee pudding were pretty good. I would consider returning for a pre-theater dinner.
- Hollywood genFoodmavenVIPDined on 10/14/2014Right near Pantages. Small plate mediterranean. Fabulous drinks. Very tasty food -- great variety -- watermelon salad, flatbreads, octopus. Every dish was a homre run. Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showEatoutDined on 10/11/2014I made the reservation here after reading some of the reviews on YELP! and I was NOT disappointed. This place (a little hard to find) is right around the corner from the PANTAGES theater. Being in Hollywood, I made the reservation for later...naturally I got there earlier than my reservation and they were accommodating and moved up my reservation. The restaurant is cozy and they drop the lights for romance although I did notice that the elderly patrons had their cell phone flashlights on to read the menu. The food is served in small plates so that you can make your meal as many courses as you want. A lot of their selections are pork and lamb. This is a fine Mediterranean restaurant and would definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and FestiveBadnightVIPDined on 10/11/2014Wonderful place. Love the food! Fantastic value. All the food is served as it becomes ready through the course of your meal. This makes ordering various items throughout the dinning event easy and fun! Was a little disappointed this time as one of my items didn't arrive in a timely manner, so had to cancel it as we were heading to a show! It was really busy! The server was very nice, and I enjoyed her!Special Features:
- disappointment before the theaterontheQDined on 10/11/2014Went to Cleo Pre-Pantages. It was Saturday night so I was ready for a crowd. We were seated and had to wait for our waiter to show up. When he did we placed our drink and food order right away. Got my drink and our first 3 small plates promptly. We then did not see our waiter again for a 30mins. When he did show up I told him we were waiting for the rest of our meal and I wanted another drink. He curtly told me our order was coming. 15 more minutes and we were brought one dish of pork belly that was half cold. The rest of our plates came together about 10 minutes later. The food was good but $$$. I have season tickets at the Pantages and I would be happy to pay for good food at this location but not for that kind of service.Special Features:
- AwesomebmackDined on 10/10/2014Cleo is a fantastic spot! Great food! Great drinks! Great service! Great atmosphere! Very clean! Peer Larson is an outstanding manager! I noticed him go by every table to make sure everyone was doing ok! He was also running drinks and food to tables which you don't see a lot of managers do! Very exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 10/9/2014everyone must try the artichokes. I do Not even like artichokes, but I couldn't stop eating them!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KikiKikiDined on 10/8/2014We enjoy going to Cleo before seeing shows at the Pantages Theatre. We had a delicious meal of heirloom tomatoes and burrata salad, Brussel sprouts, hanger steak and braised leg of lamb over lentils. We enjoyed it all, along with the Lotus Flower cocktail. The service was great - they didn't rush us and we made it to our show with plenty of time to spare. It is noisy, but that is not unusual these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cleo is greatroseylovesfoodDined on 10/7/2014By far my favorite restaurant. The type of place you can order something you've never had, and love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tapas restaurant!EatingBluntlyDined on 10/7/2014The food was amazing! We had the pork belly skewer and lebenah (sp?) Dip to start followed by the garlic shrimp and meatballs. Perfect amount of food before going to a show at the nearby Pantages theater. Plus their drinks are all made fresh with with real fruit and ingredients (no premade mixers). Yum. My only compliant relates to the host that tried to sit us in the front room that is for restaurant overflow and walk-ins...we had to tell her that we wanted to seat in the main dining room and at first she said we would have to wait a while for a seat and then we asked her manager and she said there were several 2 tops available in the main the dining room and would seat us immediately. A little annoying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good before going to the theatertennisgalDined on 10/3/2014Close spot if you are going to the Pantages theater. Interesting menu. Interior lighting a bit too dark for my taste. Couldn't read the menu easily. Lively. fun. Would go back if down in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect dinner before Pantages showLAWorldFoodieVIPDined on 10/1/2014Cleo is the ideal dinner pick right before a show at the Pantages since it's just around the corner and the food is good and you can be done in around 1:15min. If you are not in a rush, this is a hip venue good for gathering with friends or family (probably not small children) in the heart of Hollywood. This is also a nice date spot though it's a bit dark. They offer complimentary hot bread that's uniquely served in a brown paper bag. The brussel sprouts side dish is a house specialty. Overall, a good dinner out choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food, horrible noise levelMalibugirlVIPDined on 9/30/2014Food is great, service is irregular but noise is so loud you cannot talk. It was too dark to read menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All was great except for the musicdinnerDined on 9/30/2014The service was tops as was the food! The music was too loud and did not accent the wonderful feeling and the decor of the Restruant . Change your tune and I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than impressedfoodforthoughtDined on 9/26/2014This was the second time I have been to CLEO. the first was ok and we were attending an event close by so it was easy. Service was horrible and the food was so over salted we could hardly move our fingers the next day. Needless to say we won't be going back.Special Features:
- First time to Cleo but not last.sandler01Dined on 9/23/2014Had a very good time with family and the food was good and fun. A bit dark but all and all very good spot.Special Features:
- still too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/22/2014I love the ambiance and the food- but, even early on a Monday nite the noise level is problematic. This week we had a great time - but, I know to never come after 6:30 or my party will be bombarded with a sonic boom that will wipe out any conversation or any other interaction. I had dinner with friends there on a Saturday nite at 8PM - and we all left in a horrible mood having been bombarded by insanely loud rock music. So awful- when the food was so good. But - I was there last Monday nite, 9/22 with two girlfriends and the music wasn't so loud, the service was great (shout out to Jay!) food was faboo and our experience was great. So keep it up Cleo!!!Special Features:
- What a great spotShadypunjabi7Dined on 9/21/2014I had a great time at Cleo. I have been there before and it is quite the show stopper. The architecture is amazing and the dimly lit room sets a romantic mood and allows for intimate conversation. I enjoyed my dinner which included chicken kabob lamb and also their famous bread. We got the yogurt dpi which blended great with the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedindzineVIPDined on 9/21/2014My friend and I looked forward to our meal at Cleo's after the Opera. The menu selections sounded great but that was not our experience. I eat out often, not fast food, and have a discriminating palette, that being said, I must say we were very disappointed in the food. Almost all dishes were either too salty, had too much vinegar or sweetness, everything was just heavy handed with regards to the seasoning. The flatbread with olives was good though a bit salty but that is the nature of the olives. I saw no indication of grilling on the grilled octopus, the octopus meat was too soft. Octopus meat tends to be firm and a bit chewy, that was not the case here, the accompanying sauce left much to be desired. We did not drink wine or have desert.
- Fun vibe, great service, yummy foodvegchic74Dined on 9/20/2014The most notable part of the evening was our terrific server - she went out of her way to accommodate our large group and multiple special dietary needs. The diverse shared plate menu offered something for everyone, and the food was fresh and tasty. The restaurant is in a beautiful space - perfect to kick start a night on the town, or for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambiance, Food = DivineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/18/2014We ate there before Pantages and didn't expect much. Wow. The food, everything we ordered was delicious, flavorful, not too heavy but tasty. The drink menu was fun. Our waiter was a blast. The ambiance was super chic. Will definitely go again and recommend!Special Features:
- Best Brussel Sprouts EVER!brusselsproutsluvDined on 9/18/2014Specialty cocktails are a must! Cucumber martini rocked with just a hint of spice and loved the sugared rim. Started with hummus and warm bread...I would have asked for more, but wanted to try the rest of the menu. Had the Artichokes with olives next...good, but would try something different next time. The BRUSSEL SPROUTS...BEST EVER and would go back just for these and would order 2 for myself next time! Had the pork belly (yum!), shrimp skewer (would try lamb next time) and the moussaka (bit rich and we were way to full). Ordered the baklava for dessert even though the server suggested the sticky pudding. Should have gone with the sticky pudding. Next time I go back to the Pantages...I'm at Cleo!Special Features:
- Very nice for Pre/Post theaterFranciscoDined on 9/18/2014We really enjoyed eating at Cleo before heading to the Pantages which is a very short walk. The small plates menu was very diverse and everything we ordered was great. Like everyone else says, the brussels sprouts were awesome. The drinks were small and expensive but unique and good. The service was tight. Multiple staff checking on us, serving us, and clearing the table made for a nice efficient dining experience since we were in a time crunch to get to the show. If I wanted to linger and enjoy a slow meal it might have been irritating but maybe they stepped up the pace for us intentionally to accommodate our time constraints. If so, excellent job. Valet parking for dinner and the show, $12 with validation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pre-Pantages placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014The food was great- very creative and tasty. A little too dark hard to read the menu. Great location right next to the Pantages. I'd go there again next time I'm in the area for a show.Special Features:
- Overall okay, not amazingLucyDined on 9/16/2014Cleo is good, but it's not great. The food is okay, but not amazing. The menu is geared for sharing, so it is funner to go with a group to try different menu items. The ambiance is nice and vibrant, but there are much nicer places in LA. The service is mediocre, at best. Even with reservations, we still waited 25 minutes; when we decided to grab a drink until our table was ready, it took at least five minutes for the bartender to approach us. Our server was aloof and all over the place, he approached us three times to take our order--after we had already ordered.Special Features:
- Always a good experienceEveryoneismoonDined on 9/14/2014So many great food items. And since it's small plates, it's easy to try everything! Some of my favorites are the spicy cigars, octopus, Brussels sprouts, lamb shank, and lamb tartar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good to the last biteKkkkrrrDined on 9/13/2014We had an opening reservation and there was a delay in our seating. The service after being seated was stellar. We had amazing food from the Brussels sports to the scallops. Everything was so flavorful, loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Brussels!NightsOutDined on 9/10/2014Great food, great ambience. Lamb sliders fantastic, always order the Brussel sprouts. We were happy with everything ordered. Service was attentitive & helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed it againOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014It was our return visit. Everything is still holding up. Outstanding service starting from the valet to the waitress. I really enjoyed they way the hostess asking "any special occasion for the evening". The food was so delicious especially the seafood and so fresh. We really enjoyed this place. We will be back again.Special Features:
- Flavorful!LarryMVIPDined on 8/29/2014One word describes the food at Cleo - flavorful. Intense, but not offensive, complex flavors blossomed from every small plate we tried. Order dishes you think you know and discover how they can be taken to the next level.Special Features:
- Exceptional RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/24/2014Outstanding service starting from the valet to the waitress. I really enjoyed they way the hostess and our waitress (Victoria) asking "any special occasion for the evening". You rarely found this in any restaurants including the high caliber restaurants. The food was so delicious especially the seafood, and was so innovative. Everything was so fresh. We really enjoyed this place. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Less would be morePJLAVIPDined on 8/24/2014You'd think a nominal Mediterranean themed menu would slam dunk the regional cuisine. Alas, no. Hummus drenched in lemon and garlic (a gloppy wet mass). Virtually inedible and unrecognizable. Roasted lamb and Israeli couscous? 1/8" thin slices the width of beef jerky atop a soggy heap. Getting the theme? Everything wet, damp, blah. Meh. Bastilla? Surely they couldn't muck up this Moroccan delight. Alas, yes. Chicken/duck filling nicely done; even the filo wrap passable. Then why oh why plop it onto an orange reduction so the crispy filo can absorb it all and transform into a viscous wad of starch? One highlight: crispy Brussel sprouts. If you can get past the residue of oil soaking the coffee filter paper in which it is served. Yikes.
- Yum! If you like shared plates!mofoodDined on 8/22/2014My only complaint is that it isn't open for lunch too! Our dinner was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent neighborhood choicesheldonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Pre-Hollywood Bowl, this was a great find. Interesting cocktails, interesting food, reasonable wine list.Special Features: