524 17th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0A9Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cleavercalgary.com/
- Phone: 4034521211x
- Hours of Operation:
All Week 4:00 PM - Late
Weekends Brunch - Late
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: European, Irish, British
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from CLEAVER
Simple Plates and Unapologetically Bold CocktailsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
CLEAVER - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
CLEAVER reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (38)hot spot (27)late-night find (21)neighborhood gem (18)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (15)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (7)romantic (6)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (3)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Late Sunday night - still goodfivestarjunkieDined on 9/28/2014My wife and I came in after a show on Sunday night (10pm booking). Kitchen was soon to close but they still turned out great beef tacos, beat salad and a steak salad. Nice relaxed atmosphere. Will try it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem with timingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014This is my second time back to Cleaver for brunch. Both times, the food was delicious but different which makes it very interesting. Service first time was terrific, and fairly good the second time. The biggest problem was the timing. I received my main entrée 15 minutes before my two friends. Therefore I ate alone and so did my friends. This makes no sense-they should've held my food until the other two entrées were ready.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHappydinerDined on 9/26/2014The overall experience was great and I would dine here again. It can get quite noisy inside so don't expect a quiet dinner. The food was excellent, a lot of different flavours in each dish. I didn't feel like they had an extensive wine list but the bartender was nice enough to provide a couple samples for us before choosing a bottle. Take note, I made a reservation and they put aside a table outside, which I did not request. It was too cold to sit outside but luckily there was a spot at the bar. Maybe add a note to your reservation if you have a seating preference!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ViviViviDined on 9/26/2014This is the second tune I vivsited the Reaturant since it open. I have to say the food is great!! We had the lamb chops, kale and beet salad and tuna wrap. All three are delicious and our fravoriteis the tuna wrap. My friend said she would go back for the lunch and order the tuna wrap. What is interesting is we overheard our neighbouring table raving about their food. I'll be back with friends again to try out more dishes!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!Luv2DineDined on 9/25/2014The food was great, drinks were great, but the drinks were a bit expensive. Our bill total was $190, for three people. A bit steep. The tables are way too close together, this needs to be addressed right away. The people beside us were on a first date, we were three cousins catching up and out tables are about 3 inchs apart. It was like we were sitting with them. Any time someone had to get out it was very awkward and uncomfortable. I probably wont go back becauae of this. It doesnt seem like a big deal, but they are unreasonable close together!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but rushedTallianneDined on 9/20/2014I chose Cleaver to celebrate my husband's birthday with him on a Saturday night. We made an earlier reservation (6:30), expecting to have time for a leisurely meal as the menu is predominantly share plates. The food was delicious, but came out so fast that we were paid and out of the restaurant by 7:20. The kitchen wasn't busy when we came, but I expected the server to have the experience to space the food appropriately. The tables are small and ended up crowded with food, leaving us to feeling like we had to inhale the food to make room as dishes came out so quickly. We left feeling very rushed and dissapointed as we didn't have the sort of dinner we hoped for.Special Features:
- Great Food But Missing AmbianceCalgaryFoodieGirlDined on 9/20/2014My sister and I were really impressed with the quality of the food as well as presentation. We sat outside on the patio, which looks like a little Parisian style café from the front. The only thing we didn't enjoy was how close the tables were together, as my elbows actually touched the person next to me at times. We might as well have sat with the group next to us, it was that close. Also, the service was fast & efficient but the servers they have hired there, seem to be more suited for a bar, rather than a fine dining place, as they were rather loud & abrupt, giving off a vibe that they were just going through the motions of the service, rather than coming across as genuine and friendly in their demeanour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly disappointedFoodlover23Dined on 9/19/2014After making a reservation I was sat on an overpacked patio where I sat inches away from my table neighbor and sat on an uncomfortable park bench. The service was prompt and friendly however I was sadly disappointed. The crab sliders were horribly fishy and extremely salty. Our food came out incorrect twice and the drinks as well. I understand mixups happen, which I forgive. However the food was truly disappointed. I had the chicken salad which was good however my date had a steak which wasn't that good. All in all it was very over priced. I felt like I was one of many of their clients shoved into the space and pushed out. Sadly, I will not return.Special Features:
- Great spaceEatsNowDined on 9/19/2014Awesome space! Surprised what they could do with the renovations. Food was okay. Sat at the bar and enjoyed interaction but service was strangely subpar; we had to pour our own water and wine all night. I would go back again because it's an interesting place to hang out and a good location.Special Features:
- First time's a hit!DineoutguyDined on 9/19/2014First time for me and my date last Friday! Nice decor and ambiance! Cute place for couples! Was just a tinny bit disappointed with the amount of choices on the menu, very restricted at 12 items, but once we ordered our food, it was great! We had the Trio of sliders and the Beet salad. Everything was very good, good size salad, wished the sliders were a bit bigger. Had to order an extra appetizer to fill me up. Loved the cocktail menu, very original and very different. Found the drink way overpriced but I guess it goes with the location, 17th ave and the originality! Overall I rate this place a 4 stars, good food, good drinks, friendly staff, good service. We will definitely go back again! Reservation a must, the pace is really small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/13/2014Great service and ambiance but the food was a bit hit or miss.Special Features:
- Good first expetienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014The good: Atmosphere was awesome and I enjoyed the decor/concept of the bar. Food was creative and very tasty. Caramel donuts were definitely a highlight. The bad: Ordered the soft shell crab slider and it came out with a long hair tangled in it. The bartender apologized and said "this has never happened". They brought out a new one however it was still on my bill- I would expect a high quality place like this to replace the spoiled plate by compliments of the chef. Cocktails were creative but over-priced. Expect to pay $200 for dinner and a bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmed.FlowerdrumsongVIPDined on 9/13/2014We knew it was new but that's not the reason why we won't consider going back soon. Aesthetically, it looks impressive but the type of food served which would have been the reason why a restaurant would operate is quite lackluster. We don't mind a limited selection (less variety is ok as long as it is really good!) but to serve a sandwich without a side or just have one salad on the menu is not enticing at all. When we visit restaurants, we were hoping to see the "European" point of view that it claims to have. It was supposed to be British/Irish but didn't see that in the food selection nor in the type of ambience it wishes to imbibe. Sorry, not going back soon!Special Features:
- Great new Calgary RestaurantgavinaokVIPDined on 9/12/2014Great restaurant that offers a memorable menu and fun offerings. Meant to be enjoyed as tapas with others it truly brings people together. Love the cheekiness of the wine list and Rodney Strong is a great wine for dinner. Also had a chance to meet Colm Meany on the way out.Special Features:
- Couldn't be happierYummysurpriseDined on 9/12/2014I am so thankful to your staff for making and orchastrating a fantastic surprise for my best friend's birthday! I have to personally send a huge thank you to Robin for helping me make the surprise happen. She was wonderfully kind and very accommodation to silly specifics for the party. The food was outstanding. I'm not a big fan of lamb... But I had to fight off my sister for the last piece! So the food is amazing! Kudos to the kitchen staff, and for the whole team! I will be coming back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great twist on tapasColabear1Dined on 9/12/2014We love eating tapas. What made this restaurant special was the modern twist on the Spanish dish. It was contemporary cuisine made to share. The cocktails were creative twists on your normal offerings of caipirinha etc our waitress was very charming and attentive. The decor and the ambiance was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is excellent.Calgaryfoodie18Dined on 9/12/2014The restaurant was a fantastic experience. Helpful and attentive staff, interesting and varied menu and great (and inexpensive!) wine.Special Features:
- Awesome!dwhw0430VIPDined on 9/9/2014Great menu for sharing. We had the lamb chops, kale & beet salad, steak tacos, and softshell crab - all delicious! Dessert was also a hit. Excellent service and enjoyable atmosphere... we'll definitely be back!Special Features:
- FailedSeasonedEaterDined on 9/5/2014Reserved a table online for my gf and myself. Get there on time- no tables available! Have a seat at the bar. Not impressed. 5 beers on tap (starting at 9$ a glass. ) service was slow, empty glasses sat infront of the bartenders until you asked for a refill. Food tastes were mediocre, our dessert was so sweet we couldn't enjoy the marshmallows. Most likely will not return.
- ExcellentWilsonDined on 9/3/2014It is an incredible experience! Food was fantastic...the chicken is a must have and the food presentation is amazing. But have to say the staff were incredibly attentive and engaging. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Working out the kinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Food was delicious and so were the drinks! Service was the worst I have experienced in an extremely long time. Very unprofessional, not timely or apologetic when multiple mistakes were made. Our reservation was 45 minutes behind schedule and we were there for 4 hours unintentionally. Manager seemed very inexperienced and server even asked to borrow our cell phones to calculate the bill. It was laughable!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014A few highlights from our dining experience - food was phenomenal for the price point & it didn't feel like we were in Calgary (so it felt like a bit of a vacation!). The service was good but not outstanding. The waitress was wearing a very sheer black tank top with no bra and although she rocked it, it was inappropriate for serving as we were a large party that had tables pushed together so she kept having to reach over the table to put stuff down. There were a few wardrobe malfunction 'close calls' :o Other than that, it was fantastic! Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Fryer, not Cleaver!fudlvrDined on 8/29/2014The very small menu is carb heavy and a lot of things are deep fried and fatty...left having eaten more deep fried food in the one evening than I have all month. Better to go for just a drink and snack than for a meal. Nice location and great for people watching.
- Similar to others on 17 Ave..Lov2eatDined on 8/29/2014Fun restaurant. We sat outside on the patio. The tables are very close together, and our neighbor was talking very loud so it was hard for us to have a conversation. I ordered the chicken kale salad which was good. The menu overall is interesting, but not necessarily great. Lots of strange combinations of foods. We eat out a lot, so I think we do have something to compare. I think it has joined a lot of these other tapas restaurants on 17 Ave that offer very heavy food combinations and are trying too hard to be cool and different. Also the waitress used rough language - what the hell, etc. Not cool and not classy..Special Features:
- heloOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Good The service was very good the waitress was pretty helpful and nice all the time. The food was good we order bunch of things all to share so that i like, i try a lot in once. Ur presentation is very nice in the food and also in the cocktails. the Bad My cocktail was tasteless and with a lot of ice. I made a reservation and when i got there they made me wait exactly 25 min so i don't see the point to making one and confirm via text if u are not going to respect the hour. In general i like it. tnksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must havesFoodHunterDined on 8/26/2014Beet/quinoa/kale salad was SO beautiful to look at when it arrived, soft shell crab was the best of three sliders tried, double duck fat fries, AND the to die for doughnut marshmallow salted caramel fondue...but have the dessert to share, or you may go catatonic from the sweetness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and lusciousJavagirlDined on 8/24/2014This place has a casual vibe and well trained service personnel. Acoustically the room is pretty "live" but with effort conversation is possible. We tried steak salad, which is really more than that - steak was prepared perfectly and went well with wild mushroom polenta as a side. Also tried chicken salad, which is really a juicy chicken breast with a crispy skin and a huge salad alongside that balanced crunchy toasted hazelnuts, crispy chewy bacon, and light, tart dressing. Sticky toffee pudding was moist, flavorful, with layers of textures, but the chocolate dessert was dry. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place!ChaiDDined on 8/23/2014Interesting menu, prompt service and a great atmosphere!Special Features:
- Good sceneMWandcoDined on 8/22/2014Came with a friend Friday night, our reservation for a table for 4 was ready right away, at the front by the patio doors. Nice there as it was crowded so we had space. Venue was trendy and loud but fun. Food and service was good, shared a salad, cheese toast (tastes better than it looked) and lamb chops to start and then a chicken - roasted perfectly! Had a great time, Service was attentive but not rushed. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 8/22/2014Food was delicious and a good variety. Downfall ... we had to eat at the bar even though I had made reservations a few weeks in advance. Not a lot of space at the bar when you are sharing plates.
- Hog Town Manhattan..amazing!FoodloverDined on 8/19/2014Great experience from beginning to end. We started off with complimentary bubbly and popcorn which was lovely. Then onto the cocktails..Hog Town Manhattan, the bacon garnish and bitters infused ice was a nice compliment to a classic cocktail. The appetizers were delicious and our server lovely and attentive. Great first time experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad experienceFrequentdinerDined on 8/16/2014The service as well as the reservation structure are very poor. Will not be returning.
- Great service was enoughPetrieDined on 8/16/2014We had such good service, that the food became secondary. We were never left hanging on anything, our server was totally on the ball, with timing of food, requests for more drinks, and friendly chitchat. She knew the menu, she seemed especially passionate about some of the dishes and made some excellent reccomendations. The food was good, some items were excellent while others were random or unnecessary. The desserts were incredible. The cocktails were also excellent, expecially the tequila one. Ambiance is perfect. I really hope to see the restaurant thrive. I believe if they continue to improve their menu and continue a high standard of service, that it will become the new IT spot on 17th.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working out the kinksfoodguyDined on 8/9/2014Wasn't the best experience I have ever had... We had an 8pm reservation that we had to wait 20min to be seated for. Should never have to wait for a reservation... Sat on the patio which is on the sidewalk. The sidewalk slopes towards the road so are table was sloped so much that the glasses would almost slide off the table. Ordered the cheese platter and it came out on a board so small that the items were falling off. Board should have been at least twice the size. There are only 2 washrooms, 1 male and 1 female. There was actually a lineup when I went with some frustrated people. The food however was very good. Loved the Kale tempura and the bone marrow.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/3/2014I think this will be a great addition to Calgary's food scene. Newly open and ironing out all of the kinks, a great experience. Not sure how successful they will be with not modifying any dishes nor accommodating allergiesSpecial Features:
- mmmmmyummyYumyumDined on 7/30/2014Dinner at Cleaver was a great night out. Great atmosphere, even better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 0 reviews are from the CLEAVER reviews archive.