Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel
7247 N Rosemead Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91775Neighborhood:
San Gabriel Valley
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clearmansrestaurants.com/northwoods/
- Phone: (626) 286-3579
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room accommodates up to 125 people.
- Private Party Contact: Richard 626 -286-3579
A word from Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel
An authentic bit of North Woods set down in Southern California. Before the turn of the century the huge logging wheels holding our sign were pulled by oxen and used to haul logs out of the North Woods. The sign itself is mounted on a slab cut from a thousand year old mammoth redwood tree. Inside you will find steaks, seafood and sandwiches, also of giant size and quality, our tribute to hearty appetites and to the early pioneers of the North Woods.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (16)special occasion (16)neighborhood gem (12)kid-friendly (8)fit for foodies (6)romantic (6)great for lunch (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- An Old FavoriteRoncanineDined on 11/16/2014An old favorite, been there for years. Good food and service, a full bar and an eclectic Northwest decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BBQ ribs!!!!DarcyDined on 11/14/2014We had the rack of ribs special, and it was huge, even our good eater could not finish it. The ribs were perfectly cooked, not greasy, tender juicy meat easily coming off the bone, sauce had a slight spicy kick, and also smoky flavor! Excellent quality meat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014Not as good as I remembered it. Service was adequate, but server was very rushed and impersonable. Bread and red cabbage still taste great though.Special Features:
- North Woods InnGirlsNightOutVIPDined on 10/25/2014We went to North Woods Inn for my friend's birthday. He grew up going there and since then he moved to SF. The food was terrible, our steaks was over cook. The salad was soggy, and the chicken was greasy. Our drinks have very little alcohol in it. Overall it was very disappointing.
- No reason to make a reservationSoupyDined on 10/18/2014I always enjoy my time at this local chain. It's very charming and virtually unchanged for at least 40 years. I don't see any reason to make a reservation here, though. The reservation did not matter. After 20 minutes, when I asked about it, my party of two was seated at an 8-top table.Special Features:
- Birthday MealDianeandLenVIPDined on 10/4/2014Been coming here to celebrate birthdays for years, but this year certainly was a disappointment. Looking at the prices one would think they were in a $$$$ restaurant. In years past the service was great, and the food was good. This year they both were sub par. Cheese bread stale, salad way over-dressed and soggy, steaks under, and over done, tough and stringy. All brought to the table with no smile, and an attitude like we were an inconvenience. No check in during the meal to see how things were, and seemed to be in a hurry to get us out of there, even though there were plenty of open tables. With this kind of service and food there will be more open tables in the future Too bad...
- Never missesQueenLTDined on 9/7/2014This weekend I was craving bread, like Red Lobster or Geoffrey's. As we sat on the couch contemplating choices I said "Clearmans!" and the boyfriend said YES because he loves that crazy mix of salads! So we trekked from Westwood to Rosemead Blvd. Great waitress, seated right away and ordered. Boyfriend had the New York steak and I had their king crab legs (second time having them and oh so good). For those who don't know, Clearman's brings the most amazing greasy cheesy garlic bread and two big bowls of salad, one a tossed with blue cheesy dressing and the other a pickled cabbage. I would not think mixing them would be good, but it's delicious! Food comes with rice and a baked potato (maybe a little overkill in the carbs). GREAT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be returning!BunnyDined on 9/6/2014My boyfriend has been going to north woods inn since he was a child so we came for his nostalgia fix. They are great for groups and have a rustic feel to them. This was my first experience and it definitely is not a place you wear your little black dress to but it was an overall enjoyable experience. The food is EXPENSIVE. Lets just get that out of the way. My medium rare steak and medium rare hamburger both did not come out true to medium rare. It came out more medium so if you like medium rare it might be safer to order rare. At least if it's undercooked it's fixable. They charge $15 to bring your own wine, $7 to share a plate and $4 to upgrade the side salad to the awesome blue cheese and red cabbage salad. The cheese toast was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place with good steakFangirl25Dined on 8/30/2014This is a "throw peanuts on the floor " kind of place. It's casual and a little kitschy, but don't let that stop you from trying it out. It's a family style restaurant with claim jumper size portions. The plus is the meat, which was cooked to a juicy slice. It's pricier than a black angus or sizzler, but more unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!happyfoodies2014Dined on 8/29/2014Had the best Rock Lobster and Crab Legs on our first date. !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for the price!!RachelFDined on 8/16/2014Very large portions of food. More bang for your buck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebration Go TofunfoodieDined on 8/16/2014Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel has always been a family favorite, and we have celebrated many special occasions there. So happy to find that reservations can now be made, especially for large parties with children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out on special occasionNoryDined on 8/9/2014My family enjoyed birthday dinner on a Saturday night but service was kind of slow and the food was too salty for most of us. Still a great place for special occasion. Nice and unique environment with live music between 6-10pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 274 reviews are from the Clearman's North Woods Inn of San Gabriel reviews archive.
- Loud birthdays.phillip2Dined on 7/26/2014Nice atmosphere,food and service. I don't particularly like restaurants that sing happy birthday to other tables. I think it is disruptive of your own dinning experience.. A quieter happy birthday wish could be just as effective rather than disturbing everyone attention on someone's birthday who are complete strangers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business lunchL0723VIPDined on 7/16/2014The manager seated us at a nice quiet table as requested in our Open Table Reservation, for my business meeting. The food was very good with good service. I will be back....Special Features:
- ContessaDined on 6/22/2014The food was great. Our server was great. Big portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014We enjoyed an excellent meal with excellent service. Although it was Father's Day, we were seated before our reservation time. The service was outstanding even though they were very busy. This is a family favorite for special occasions and we weren't disappointed.Special Features:
- Family friendlyBesosVIPDined on 6/15/2014This restaurant has been our place to celebrate birthdays and special occasions for years. It is a family tradition. It is casual and kid friendly. It is noisy but if you can overlook that you will enjoy it. This is not a place for a quiet, romantic dinner. We requested Michael as our server and he greeted us right away and said that he was waiting for us. He is funny and makes us feel special. We love the cheese bread and the salads the most. The baked potato is huge. The portions are generous. I love the scallops and the chicken is also yummy. We typically get the special platter when we go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at North WoodsstephVIPDined on 5/25/2014The visit was fine; nothing special. We go there to have their bread and salad (the half and half). Service was fine.
- Family funOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014Great Mother's Day dinner...delicious meal and great servicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Waste Your MoneyGourmetGoddessDined on 5/11/2014We greeted by a friendly hostess which was the best part. We were seated right away, but we waited over 20 minutes (my boyfriend had to actually get up to find our server, otherwise, it would have been longer.) to have our order taken. The waiter was a bit on the abrupt side. Every meal is served with salad, which was swimming in dressing. The "famous" cheese bread was just soggy and greasy. The steak was OK and I stress OK. For $40 plus per person, I was expecting a lot better food and service.
- So disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014NorthWoods Inn used to be such a good restaurant. While the atmosphere remained the same, and our server could not have been more attentive, the food was subpar. The scallops were tough, the mahi-mahi old. I will not go back.Special Features:
- SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/10/2014Only problem was I asked for Medium steak and it was rare. They had to take it back and cook another one.Special Features:
- Nostalgic fun!FoodieFunDined on 5/9/2014Had a wonderful time with very good service so if it's been awhile, make a revisit.Special Features:
- Classic casual gemItsmerenedDined on 5/3/2014Still a classic gem with great quick service to eating peanuts and discarding the shells in the floor to a tasty abundance amount of food served by great servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Rare throwback restaurant. The drinks were modest and my 25oz porterhouse was tasty.Special Features:
- Great wait staff poor kitchen staffJoshtDined on 4/19/2014The wait staff was excellent food came out at a good time. My wife asked for her steak medium and it came out rare by all steakhouse standards. They took it back to cook it more and it was still gummy and raw in the center. They eventually brought out a new filet and comp'd it but it was medium rare still. I know steakhouse standards are much different then norm but I eat my steaks rare to medium rare and this was raw. Our friends ordered a salad because she's a vegetarian without chicken and she found a couple of pieces of chicken in her salad like it was already pre made and all they did was pick out the chicken. The wait staff was very apologetic and nice but my wife didn't eat her dinner till everyone was done. Pretty disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyglockgirlVIPDined on 4/17/2014Best cheese bread EVER! Ok the food is always amazing no matter what you order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we tried it!KathieDined on 4/12/2014I have lots of friends who swear by this place, and we just had to give it a try. Everything was tasty and well prepared and service was great. But it almost felt like the idea of the place exceeded the experience. It is steeped in tradition with a simple menu, so of course you have to have the famous salads and cheese bread. Back to honoring tradition, any other restaurant that only offered chopped up iceberg with bleu cheese in cheap fake wood bowls would be skewered! But here it was delicious and just right. And I know some will say this is heresy, but I was not a fan of the cheese bread - it was extremely greasy for my tastes.Special Features:
- food was excellent and ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2014food was excellent and ambience was wonderful. I would go there again and again when in that area..Special Features:
- didn't disappoint as usualJrsygirlDined on 3/28/2014We were a large group of nine. It is a great place to enjoy a great meal and not have to worry about kids disrupting anyone because they are entertained with the throwing peanuts on the floor. The ambiance is loud and fun so the usual kid noise is not so noticeable. It is the perfect place to take the family. Not such the romatic evening place for my style but with the food you just can't go wrong. I wish there was one closer to me.Special Features:
- Something differentAnnaVIPDined on 3/23/2014It's been years since I last visited this restaurant. The prices are a bit high but I guess its for the food and themed woods atmosphere. Service was attentive. It did get a bit loud as there was a large noisy group in our area. Cod and steak were cooked just right. The medium steak was smaller than expected. Their cheese bread seemed oiler and saltier than the last time I had it. It was good for a special occasion, but I can think of other places with just as good or better food for the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to go when I was a kidHeatherDined on 3/15/2014Used to go when I was a kid and had such wonderful memories. It hasn't changed Northwoods is a wonderful unique dining experience! The food is amazing, ambiance is like no other!Special Features:
- Tacky. Steak was good, butCCEHDined on 3/2/2014Tacky. Steak was good, but all else was second-rate. This place is a puzzle. Wonderful interior/mood, but someone forgot to apply the same level of attention to the food. Strange.
- No MemoriesMelanieMcVIPDined on 2/13/2014It is surprising to me how many LA natives have such great memories of North Woods Inn. Not being from LA, I don't have those memories. The portions are large and the food is good -- but not great. The night we were there is steady but not too busy and service seemed a bit slow. It is good for groups and it is certainly child friendly. I always feel like it is way too much food and that the price is just a bit too high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice end of the day dinnerAnnivNo7VIPDined on 2/8/2014Took our visiting friend from Hong Kong here for an end of the day dinner after visiting Palm Springs. We had a good time and the food was very good as it always is. As usual the salads and cheese bread are to die for.Special Features:
- Great Ribeye!!!3AnCDined on 2/7/2014The salads were scrumptious, their dressing is perfect, just the right amount of flavor...cross between blue cheese and ranch. My husband liked the cabbage vinegrette salad better than I did, but I liked mixing both of them together. The cheese whipped butter sauce for the baked potato is fantastic! The ribeye steak was very flavorful and their homemade steak sauce was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewjennkellerDined on 1/25/2014I must say I was a little disappointed. I was with a party of six for a birthday celebration. 3 of us ordered the steak, scallops, and chicken dinners. The steak was tough, and the chicken was just not good. We had another birthday in December in the Covina location and the food was similar to this time. I have been coming here for many years and it seems to be going down hill. Of course we all love Northwoods and not giving up on it, just disappointed in the food the last couple of trips. Love that you now allow for reservations.Special Features:
- gREAT fOODOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Great food..they need bigger drink glasses so u dont have to refill so much. dinners are huge in porportion. we fed 3 people with one dinner. they charge 6.95 to split a dinner.All you can eat salads- yummy, definately on the more expensive side. kind of noisy. Open table was a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always the Northwoods InnOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014As always the Northwoods Inn comes through. Great food and great service. Our server, Jesus, was fantastic and made for a memorable dining experience.Special Features: