Clay Oven Indian Restaurant - West Portal
385 West Portal Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127Neighborhood:
Forest Hill / West Portal
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Clay Oven Indian Restaurant - West Portal
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.indiaclayovensf.com/
- Phone: 4157312400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 10:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We offer catering for up to 10,000 people anywhere in the Bay Area. We have a private room in our other location for up to 220 people with a full bar. We also have Punjabi music.
A word from Clay Oven Indian Restaurant - West Portal
Welcome to Clay Oven Indian Restaurant. We are located in West Portal and Saint Francis woods. We offer a mix of modern style with traditional roots. From our handmade paintings of rich colors representing the incredible Indian culture to our fabulous interior and stylish décor. Come listen to our romantic music and dine on our copper dishes on which we prepare delicious authentic Indian dishes using a centuries old traditional Clay Oven method of cooking that allows us to quickly char roast meats, poultry, and seafood at up to 1000 degrees. The Tandoori oven also bakes traditional nan breads crisp or chewy. All entrees are individually prepared to your specified taste and seasoning. We can easily accommodate 72 people for both lunch and dinner service. Come and experience our refined customer service and the highest standard of dining brought to you by our attentive staff and our fabulous food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Clay Oven Indian Restaurant - West Portal reviews from OpenTable diners
2 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (2)good for groups (2)neighborhood gem (2)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Another good Indian RestaurantFredleeDined on 8/31/2014Our first visit was impressive. The service was fine, but the food was better than my wife and I expected. She was impressed by the leaness of the lamb. I found the spices comfortably warm. The servings are large and we had an excellent repeat of the meal the next day for lunch. Will have to check Clay Oven again and compare to Roti, but Clay Oven is definitely an anticipated destination for us in the future.Special Features:
- A must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Neighborhood gem, come here all the time for the great lunch buffet, dinner and late night feasts! Super friendly and attentive staff! Solid menu! A tad pricey for dinner but quality of food makes it worthwhile!! Try the garlic naan, the chicken tikka and the prawn saag! Outstanding! Ditto for the coconut ice cream!! Namaste!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time and last time!alisapoonDined on 6/20/2014I heard several good things about this restaurant and gave myself a try. The restaurant did not have a host or a receptionist. I mentioned two times to the server that I made a reservation. The guy asked my name and just nodded but didn't check me in and said go to the table. For the food, it is somewhat americanize flavor. Others Indians/Pakistanians have better food and service. No point to eat there and get an ignorant attitude. I have to wait for 3 days to clear my pension status and make sure I get the point. I have no inclination to return!
- Lunch buffetFreeSpiritDined on 3/2/2014Pretty good for lunch buffet, variety of entree is average, price is always $9.99. Not much service here, you're pretty much on your own since this is a buffet style lunch. Their Clement Street location has better service mainly because the owner's there most of the time. I love mango chutney but they no longer serve it at this W. Portal location unless you pay extra. All in all this is a clean and well lit eatery with plenty of free parking nearby.Special Features:
- Valentines day mad housevdayfamilyDined on 2/14/2014Usually we go to this restaurant and it is not so busy. On this Valentines day it was a mad house. It did not seem that the Open Table reservation had much meaning. Arrived at 7:30pm, took order around 8pm, served some food around 9pm, left around 9:30pm. This was not the normal service.
- Food was okayOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/14/2014We went to this restaurant on a busy valentines Friday night. The place was packed and there were only two waiters. Service was extremely slow and at no time did a waiter come back to check on us. The manager walked by tables looking at the pace of food being eaten but never said or ask anything. Our appetizer never came and the food portions were a little smaller for the price. Although I recommend this place, I don't think I will be returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a bit priceyChattyDined on 2/14/2014My family has been to dinner here a few times. The food and service is great but it is a bit pricey and I don't mind paying for good food but one of the noticeable problems was the rice!! We had rice for 4 and the waiter brought out two lovely dishes of rice but there's no way that amount of rice was enough for 4 and on top of that each dish which was supposed to be enough for 2 cost $6. So we paid $12 for two containers of rice which really was only enough for 2-3 people. That's a crazy price for rice and if it weren't for that the prices are worth it.Special Features:
- Yummy food in an authentic settingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/29/2014Love the decor and authentic music here. The food is also well presented and yummy, too. The servers here are very polite and are constantly checking in our comfort. It is also not so noisy as some other places.The prices are a bit high for my taste, but still worth a visit when one wants good, Indian food.Special Features:
- IF you like Indian food.....ChattyDined on 1/21/2014Everything is delicious and the service is first rateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must TryKainnaVIPDined on 5/18/2013First time in San Francisco, had lunch here & was pleased with the experience. Good food & good service! Really cute copperware too.Special Features:
- They have a wide selection,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/8/2013They have a wide selection, but even mild is more than that if you are not familiar with the flavors. This is a real neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- mediocre quality. The ClementdruroVIPDined on 3/6/2013mediocre quality. The Clement Street branch is better.
- My husband and I have enjoyedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2012My husband and I have enjoyed having lunch at this restaurant many times. White tablecloths, quiet, clean and can talk without a lot of loud background noise.Special Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/31/2012Excellent food and service. Always greeted with a smile and dinner arrived super hot and exactly as I ordered it. What more can I ask for.Special Features:
- We have been visiting IndiaOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 9/21/2012We have been visiting India Clay Oven restaurants in the SF area for 20+ years now.... and we still come back on a regular basis. This particular location is our new go-to since it's the easiest to get to now. We love the food, the portion sizes are average and the price is par for San Francisco too.
- Great local indian restaurantrrh13Dined on 9/7/2012The Clay Oven restaurants are generally quite good. This experience was a bit under par. The service was quite good, as was restaurant. The food was generally good, but our rice came with very cold peas. The rice was sent back, and came the same way. I noted the issue, and could not get the waiter to understand that this detracted from the meal. The rest of the food was very good, and we will return.Special Features:
- Outstanding Indian cuisineMokidokiVIPDined on 5/20/2012This beats out almost all other Indian restaurants I've been to with perhaps one exception. Dishes that shine include: eggplant, mushrooms, spinach, lentils, any of the masala meat dishes. The taste is lighter and fresh - there haven't been any overburdened heavy sauces, filled with ghee. Naan is cooked perfectly and food quantities are plentiful. Service is kind and attentive. Dining room is small but well buffered so you can hear yourselves easily. We relish coming here each time.Special Features:
- We have been to Clay OvenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/13/2012We have been to Clay Oven many times. However, this time there was no lamb dish which was a disappointment and several of the items were really overly hot" to the mouth. With this said, we will be back.Special Features:
- The food is very good withOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/1/2012The food is very good with excellant service. We had been there several times before and we also have had them deliver. Always a treat.Special Features:
- The food was delicious! WeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/25/2012The food was delicious! We were going to a movie and so needed to be quick and they were responsive and quick.Special Features:
- Just an overall nice dinnerAmadaVIPDined on 1/6/2012Just an overall nice dinner place. Go check it out.Special Features:
- Food's decent, not the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 1/1/2012Food's decent, not the best Indian food I've ever had. The papadum was a bit bland. Service was extremely slow. Granted we went on New Year's Day, but it wasn't busy when we arrived and it took 40 mins for our entrees to arrive and we had to ask about it because we were waiting so long. The 2 orders of rice wasn't enough for the 4 of us. It came in adorable metal buckets. My prawn vindaloo was very spicy, I wouldn't order again. The lamb curry was tasty but the meat was over done and dry. The chicken curry was better. I think the food tasted better when they initially opened. Very slow service 'tho.Special Features:
- Romantic & Nice AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2012I love Clay Oven I've been here a couple of times. I usually bring friends who had never had Indian Food before. The first time I went here was with my boyfriend and it was quite omantic, I like the ambiance and also the red roses on each of the tables. The only thing I would complain about is the service, I think they are understaff and one particular waiter did not make any eye contact or smile at all even when he was passing by at our table.Special Features:
- Pleased customersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2011My husband and I enjoy coming to Clay Oven on West Portal. We especially enjoy their lunch buffet. The tables are always set with clean crisp white tablecloths and the food is very good.Special Features:
- The food was satisfying andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 11/19/2011The food was satisfying and tasty. I lamb melted in my mouth and the nan with goat cheese was excellent. The service was fine. We will go agian.Special Features:
- My husband and I always enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/4/2011My husband and I always enjoy our meal at Clay Oven on West Portal. We are frequent customers for lunch.Special Features:
- Quite delicious and accommodating.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/24/2011Quite delicious and accommodating. Outstanding food.Special Features:
- Little Indian GemOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/16/2011Clay Oven staff are always welcoming and nice. We went on a busy Friday to celebrate our son's 13th birthday, and it was just perfect. The tikka masala is delicious. The naan too. My younger son even tried the naan with goat cheese, and loved it. We had good dessert afterSpecial Features:
- Really enjoyed the food andGr8bitesDined on 9/13/2011Really enjoyed the food and spicing! Loved the Paneer Saag and Curried Chicken dishes as well as the Bryani Rice!Special Features:
- My husband and I enjoy frequentingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2011My husband and I enjoy frequenting the Clay Oven on West Portal especially for lunch. We enjoy their buffet.Special Features:
- First, let me say I usuallyOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/18/2011First, let me say I usually do not have Indian food when dining out but the girls wanted something different this time and choose Indian. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the food. Luckily for me, the girls choose to avoid any spicy foods. I enjoyed our appetizers and the chicken tikka was my favorite. We did order the lamb kebab but it was a tad dry...flavor was good however. Service was very polite and efficient. I would return!
- Excellent tandori chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2011Excellent tandori chicken - moist and flavorful. Great naan - onion and garlic. The chana masala (chick peas and spinach) super. All the dishes were delicious and they got the orders right as some members of our party wanted very hot (spicy) dishes. Also, the biryani was flavorful.Special Features:
- overcooked foodmomoDined on 6/5/2011chicken, lamb & shrimp was overcooked and dried! The lamb was the worst of all. At least we were able to swallow the chicken & shrimp. Although, sauce and service was good, I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- During lunch, they have anOliviaDined on 6/3/2011During lunch, they have an all you can eat buffet. Delicious!Special Features:
- The Indian Restaurant to go toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2011I love the food and the service of this place. We actually go on a regular basis with different friends, and love it. The chicken tikka masala is just great. Service was well-timed and friendly, wines were affordable.Special Features:
- Late Night Slice of HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/27/2011I was driving through San Francisco late at night, hungry after and all weekend business retreat. I pull up OpenTable just to see whats open at 10:45 on a Sunday night. That's how I found Clay Oven! Fantastic food, over the top service, and the second time we showed up (again late on a Sunday) they remembered us! Try the hot chai, it's delicious!Special Features:
- Our food took 40 minutes toOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/26/2011Our food took 40 minutes to arrive and they forgot our appetizers, even after we told our server we hadn't received them. They even tried to charge us for the appetizer we never received! I will NEVER return to this sad excuse for a restaurant. Food was good but service was horrible.
- The Clay Oven Indian RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 2/3/2011The Clay Oven Indian Restaurant at West Portal provided excellent Indian dinner cuisine and Punjabi specialties with a highly descriptive menu, very tasty food and delightful background music, with candlelight and a very warm and attentive staff that anticipated our wishes. We thoroughly enjoyed all of the tastes of the combination dinner. It is a unique gem and absolutely does not feel like part of a group of other Clay Oven Restaurants. Can't wait to try their buffet lunch! -One who knows the difference.Special Features:
- The lunch buffet is especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/19/2011The lunch buffet is especially a good value and the food is very good. The restaurant is clean with fresh linen tableclothes and napkins at every place setting. Clay Oven continues to be a nice addition to West Portal Avenue.Special Features:
- The service continues to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2010The service continues to be excellent. I called requesting that I table be setup up in a quiet area and not only was the table lovely but we received complimentary desserts. We have eaten at the Westportal and Church St. and both are excellent.Special Features: