Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park
1 Portage Avenue East (3rd Floor)
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3N3Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: CAN$30 and under
Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clayoven.ca/
- Phone: 2049827426
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, S
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
We are open Sundays for Game Day/Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Shashi Sharma
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Clay Oven works with a variety of different hotels and venues for weddings, parties and special occasion dinners from 25 people up to 1,000 people. We provide catering service at all temples in Winnipeg. We are a peanut-free restaurant, gluten friendly
A word from Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park
Clay Oven restaurant is offers a wide variety of authentic East Indian Tandoor and Indo-Chinese (Hakka) dishes in a family environment. Clay Oven Downtown @ Shaw Park is one of three locations in Winnipeg that offers online take-out ordering, delivery via Mobile Maitre d', custom group menus, private chef and catering service available for business functions. We have banquet and event space for small and large parties at this downtown Winnipeg location.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park - Best Restaurants in Winnipeg ›
Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park reviews from OpenTable diners
22 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (12)scenic view (11)good for groups (11)special occasion (8)great for lunch (8)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (5)fit for foodies (5)romantic (4)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great dinner with a friendthekuzzerVIPDined on 8/22/2014We dined on a Friday night with a double-header Goldeyes event going on. I expected it to be packed, but the atmosphere was light and pleasant. I ate papadums, onion bhaji and chicken vindaloo while my friend had a vegetarian dish of many different sauces and dippers (I forget the indian name), and finished with a cup of chai tea. We were both stuffed by the end of the meal, and my favorite dish was the onion bhajis. The flavor was spot on with a spicy kick that the tamarind dipping sauce toned down. I thought the chai tea could use more ginger, but I love ginger so I always want more. Our server was great, very attentive even if just to fill water glasses. I'd definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ConflictedfoodloverDined on 8/8/2014Let me start by saying I LOVE CLAY OVEN. We order regularly from the Inkster Clay Oven and love it! We were disappointed with our experience because the prices for the dishes are the same at both restaurants but at the Hakka Clay Oven, you get SMALL portions. If we had spent $100 at a non-ball-park clay oven we would have ate for days.... While we barely got a full meal at Hakka... I have a problem with the SAME food being served at 2 restaurants, of the same name, and the serving sizes being so off balance. We were expecting a wonderful feast for a special occasion and we did not have the experience at all. It was disappointing.Special Features:
- Indian food and baseballTam93Dined on 8/7/2014I went to the clay oven to have dinner and watch the goldeyes play, they lost but the food was defiantly a win! Great high quality indian food for a fair price. Awesome drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and great food too!GeorgeDined on 8/1/2014Excellent food in a plesent dinning room made this a great experience.Special Features:
- ServiceNewtoyouDined on 7/19/2014Very good food and pleasant. Our main server was a little on the slow side and forgot out dipping sauces with the appys, but he was serving guests on the patio and inside so no worries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014We were delighted with our meal and the service we received. Will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll Be BackCOfansDined on 7/15/2014Our dining experience at the Clay Oven was phenomenal! Food was very tasty and service was excellent. We also loved the decor. Although we sat inside, we'll definitely be back to dine on the outdoor patio.Special Features:
- Snow21Dined on 7/15/2014Very mindful of allergy concerns. Cheerful server. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicesavvyDined on 6/28/2014Was dining on the patio this past weekend and had the worst experience ever. Usually I get the best but it was so disorganized this time around. Ordered food at 7 pm and didn't get food until around 8 pm. We weren't brought plates, napkins or utensils. She said she would come back with plates and by the time she did, we were half done our entree. Then it was really fun trying to eat big chunks of chicken with the large spoon as our only utensil. We weren't asked for another round of drinks or offered any water. Also the mens washroom was completely dark in every stall and made it difficult to use.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 44 reviews are from the Clay Oven - Downtown @ Shaw Park reviews archive.
- seniors lunch clubyehaDined on 4/17/2014We had a lovely lunch. Everyone enjoyed their meals. Our server was attentive and respectful. We would come again.Special Features:
- ventilation requiredOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/29/2014It's too hot inside the restaurant and it is currently winter, during our hot and humid summers it is not a place where I would go out to eat. I've been to other east Indian restaurants that have good ventilation and the smell doesn't linger as much as this location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tasty treatsatiateDined on 3/22/2014The area is spacious and nicely set up. We ordered palak paneer, chicken vindaloo, goat and grilled prawns to start. The prawns were delicious as was the chicken. Very highly recommended. I was told the goat was tasty and naan came out fresh. Unfortunately we weren't aware the palak paneer would have cream in it. All in all, a very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/21/2014My wife and I visited for the first time since the change from Hu's on First. The food was excellent, as it is at the other two Clay Oven locations. While the ambience is fine, the space feels a little too open, relative to the set up, previously, when it was Hu's. This made it feel a little less like a date spot, and more like a place to take the family, which is likely what we'll do next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavourful!IlovetoeatDined on 3/15/2014A tasty spot at Shaw Park (former location of Hu's On FIrst). Rather "lively" in the noise department, and stark in terms of furnishings. What it lacked in decor, it made up for in the food. It was hot, tasty, and full of flavour. Unfortunately the basmati rice was not up the standard of the rest of the food, being of rather low quality rice to begin with. The service was excellent. The price was just right for the portion sizes. The vast selection of dishes should allow everyone to find something they like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!7Ate9Dined on 3/6/2014We went as a group for lunch. Service was fast and attentive, food was delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodshafDined on 2/14/2014A real authentic Indian cuisine and gorgeous place for dinning.Special Features:
- Valentines goodnessRomanticguyDined on 2/14/2014This was a very good night. My wife has to be gluten free and their menu accomplished this very well. Staff was friendly and quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally impressed!SuperselectiveDined on 1/18/2014We are self proclaimed "foodies", and focus on visiting good restaurants with highly rated food during each vacation or business trip that we take outside of Winnipeg. We appreciate good food. Having said that, I will say that we were totally "wowed" by every single dish that we ordered during our recent visit to Clay Oven Shaw Park! Although similar in menu (and tastiness) to the Kenaston location, the addition of an additional menu (Hakka?) allowed for the sampling of additional unique foods (we loved the manchurian noodles!) The butter chicken and vindaloo shrimp were similarly amazing as was a curry dish and the naan bread. The server was very pleasant, knowledgable and attentive. Great experience and a true gem for Winnipeg!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyRoomarDined on 1/18/2014The food was amazing. Such great hakka food! Best Korma ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appalling ServiceDizyhillsDined on 12/20/2013We were treated as an annoyance. Anything we asked for they were apparently out of. No cream for coffee, wine was limited, no liqueurs at the bar, couldn't make specialty coffees etc. No coffee or beverages refills, did not offer dessert, carry away was all wrapped up in one container, odd for two women dining together. What really took the cake though is they went around the dining room shortly after 10pm and told everyone to leave!!!! There were about 30 people still in the dining room, they wouldn't even let us wait 5 minutes for our ride. Guess we should have known when they turned on the lights and started mopping at 9:00pm. Was no surprise this restaurant was only half full the weekend before Christmas. Would definitely not returnSpecial Features:
- PriceyDiscerningDinerDined on 12/13/2013While the food and service are very good, the prices are quite high for the amounts that are served. It seems that every time we've been there, the prices go up and the serving sizes go down. I wonder how long this can go on before business starts to decline.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, but too pricey!DougDined on 12/11/2013Clay Oven delivers good quality Indian fare, but the service is not up to par. The wait staff do not speak in clear voices and are overly friendly. We tried to get some explanations on dishes before ordering, but this proved rather difficult. No one came back to ask us if our food was ok. For the very high prices -- $17 per dish on average -- the dining experience should have been at least as good as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Give it a tryBananaDined on 11/30/2013This new ethnic theme in an existing site was worth the visit. Variety plate has several good tastes. Bread slightly burnt, but edible. Butter chicken great. Service (new to the job) was excellent. Busy, but not too loud in the booths. Will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Full of flavorDee1Dined on 11/28/2013I have tried almost all of the East Indian Restaurants in Winnipeg. This one is one of my favorites. The ambience and look of the room is just a bonus. The service was also good and pricing was average. I thoroughly enjoyed the presentation of the food. We had the samosa appetizer and the combo plate which gave you a large variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our after theatre group allOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Our after theatre group all enjoyed our dinner. The service was good and the food delicious.Special Features:
- poor service, average foodjelmeisterDined on 11/9/2013I was hoping for so much more. The service was awful. No one to greet or seat us upon arrival, and we waited over 20 minutes for a drinks order to be taken after being shown to our seats. Even after that, when our drinks were prepared they sat on the bar for 10 minutes, to the point that they were warm and flat. The food was average, certainly nothing special. For those who are used to indian food this will be a disappointment.
- Special OccasionLuv2celebrateDined on 11/2/2013Had two special occasion celebrations at the restaurant. My friends who attended the first one, wanted to come back for the second celebration to Clay Oven - Shaw Park. Reason... this is the only restaurant in town that has Hakka Chinese food on their menu. It is simply delicious, along with their regular menu. Everyone could order food to their taste due to their variety menu options. Great dining! Wonderful Staff! Highly recommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerHollywoodDined on 11/1/2013I went there with my boyfriend for his birthday. He loved the food. I had a cold so didn't eat much but did enjoy my meal. Our server was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- servicedfreezeDined on 10/28/2013our server was friendly, warm, confident, not over the top, but could have checked in with us more often, as our group would have ordered more items as we waited for other guests. Our "surprise is with a recommended entre" request turned out to be a superb choice. well done Clay Oven.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingbdayexpDined on 8/28/2013Put together a group to celebrate a milestone birthday...other locations have great food and wonderful service, but not this one. The service was terribly slow and inaccurate (kept forgetting to bring drink requests and forgotten orders) and the food was well below expectations. From the time the first entree was served to the last one arriving at our table of 10....was over 50 minutes. Left us with some people starving and others completing their meal before some had even been served. The only saving grace was the outdoor patio with the baseball game going on. Despite the poor overall experience at Clay Oven, the ambience was good.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the dining experiencefood4thoughtDined on 8/28/2013Enjoyed the dining experience with friends from out of town. Very good service and food selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningDmpeeDined on 8/22/2013Nice evening out on the patio! Service was fast and food was served hot. Loved that the server reminded us what each of the appetizers were and described the dipping sauces. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodb4unoitDined on 8/21/2013as always the staff and owner very delightful and the food amazing! never leave here hungry or unsatisfied!Special Features:
- ballgame dinnertravelgirlDined on 8/17/2013Food was good, service was 50/50, guy was friendly and knowledgeable, but the follow through wasn't great, as in forgot 3 different food/drink requests until we had to ask again, annoying! We were also there for the baseball game, but view is not ideal, wouldn't recommend for that at all.Special Features:
- I love the relaxed feel ofAvisLeDined on 8/16/2013I love the relaxed feel of this place. I will definitely return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch ReviewJumboDined on 8/16/2013Food was good, although I found it somewhat complicated to eat. I would prefer just getting a plate with everything on it rather than the little compartments. I'll maybe order differently next time. Prices are a little high for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceZoobaDined on 8/8/2013It was my first time at Clay Oven and I found the staff very helpful in providing information so I ordered the right items suited by my tolerance of spicy foods. The food was incredible and the atmosphere great; we sat in a booth overlooking the Goldeyes ball field so it was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot in the patiofarcle83Dined on 8/7/2013The appetizers are fantastic! Also, the restaurant accommodated all our requests for seating close to the glass for the goldeyes game. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New experiencephillipsDined on 7/29/2013A new food experience. The staff at the Clay Oven were very friendly and helpful in explaining the different ethnic foods and what to recommend. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timeTimHDined on 7/25/2013Great food, and the baseball game in the background made for a great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.