Clay Oven Cuisine of India - San Mateo
78 E. 3rd Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Clay Oven Cuisine of India - San Mateo
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://clayovenofindia.com/
- Phone: 6503429195
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 10:30am - 10:30pm; Dinner: Daily: 10:30am - 10:30pm Lunch Buffet
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant for further details.
- Private Party Facilities: Weddings, rehearsals or graduation dinners can be accommodated on-site. Please contact the restaurant for further details.
A word from Clay Oven Cuisine of India - San Mateo
Welcome to Clay Oven We are located in Downtown San Mateo near El Camino. We offer a mix of modern style with traditional roots, from our handmade paintings representing the incredible Indian culture to our fabulous interior and stylish décor. Come listen to our romantic music and dine on our copper dishes on which we prepare delicious authentic Indian dishes using a centuries old traditional Clay Oven method of cooking that allows us to quickly char roast meats, poultry, and seafood at up to 1000 degrees. The Clay Oven also bakes traditional nan breads crisp or chewy. All entrees are individually prepared to your specified taste and seasoning. We can easily accommodate 70 people for both lunch and dinner service. Come and experience our refined customer service and the highest standard of dining brought to you by our attentive staff and our fabulous food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Clay Oven Cuisine of India - San Mateo reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance2Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (1)Show More
- UK curryuk2usaDined on 7/31/2014Coming from the uk and having travelled to India several times. This Indian restaurant serves excellent food , authentic , full of flavour. Servers could be a little friendlier .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I haven't been to this restaurantepiffinieVIPDined on 2/21/2014I haven't been to this restaurant in a few years, but I loved it before. Unfortunately this experience was different. I marked the the noise level as "energetic" but this was due to the crying baby and child, otherwise it would have been moderate. We asked our waiter for mild spiced food and when it finally came out (took a while) there was no spice. It took a while to flag anyone down to ask if they could add a little spice to at least one of our dishes. When the dish came back it was extremely spicy. We had a different waiter towards the end of our meal and he was very nice. The mango dessert we had was delicious! I was disappointed at this visit, but will probably try this place again since it was great before.
- average food, poor servicestfoDined on 9/14/2013We arrived for dinner and the waiters couldn't be bothered to give us menus or take our order. We should have left at that point. Food was acceptable, but not great. We had to beg for water refills. We won't be back.
- Going downhill fast. DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 2/27/2013Going downhill fast. Disappointing food and service, even when empty.
- I have been to Clay Oven manyFridayNiteDinnersVIPDined on 2/8/2013I have been to Clay Oven many times and for a long time it was our favorite San Mateo place to get Indian food. That has changed - we now recommend Bombay Garden which has better food, better service and nicer ambiance.
- large menu doesn't disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2012Large menu may seem uninspired, but dishes are well seasoned and didn't disappoint.Special Features:
- On Friday night, the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012On Friday night, the restaurant was very relaxing place to dine for a family with a small child. The food was delicious and we were very satisfied.Special Features:
- Was not impressed with thisOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/22/2012Was not impressed with this restaurant. The lunch buffet was not very interesting. It might have been better to just do alacarte menus, if the choice was going to be so sparse. my guest liked the food, but I think that's because he found a habanero in the salad that kicked it up a notch. I guess the food quality was ok, but not outstanding as an Indian restaurant in San Mateo. Atmosphere seemed a little boring too (until the car alarm started going off outside :( )
- Terrible dining experienceBobbyVIPDined on 5/18/2012I was not credited for this visit even after asking the waiter twice to make sure he checked me in. All wait staff was inattentive. Not because it's a self-serve buffet does not mean they don't have to serve the customers. I was very disappointed with the service, and the quality of the food was not the same compared to the other sister locations in San Francisco.
- The food is terrific but whatchocloveVIPDined on 3/23/2012The food is terrific but what I like est about Clay Oven Cuisine is their extensive menu -- many more options than most Indian restaurants in the Bay Area.
- Dined here with a party ofdragonwingsVIPDined on 3/12/2012Dined here with a party of 4. Everyone enjoyed what they ordered, the Shrimp Vindalo made the person who ate it break a sweat, but he said it was very good. I had a chicken and apricot dish very tasty, should have been served with rice but that had to be ordered on the side. prices seemed to be inline with other restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- The food is great at ClayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/9/2012The food is great at Clay Oven, but you have to make it clear several times if you want non-spicy. I almost always have to send back my entree. I always ask for "very-very mild, not spicy at all", but I keep getting very spicy. They are very nice about it though and re-make the food. The second time it was perfect.Special Features:
- Great service and everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2012Great service and everything tasted great. My girlfriend and I picked the Dinner for two (non veggie) and the Malbec was great!!!!
- This is by far my favoritePouleDined on 12/25/2011This is by far my favorite Indian restaurant! Excellent, friendly service, incredible food - and they deliver! It is a perfect go-to place for anything from a romantic dinner, or a casual lunch with friends and coworkers (try their buffet!). Also, their coffee remains some of the best I've had anywhere.Special Features:
- We've been going to Clay OvenOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/2/2011We've been going to Clay Oven for many years and continue to find new dishes every time. Everything is always delicious and the service is great. You have to try the Velvet Chicken!
- Food is tasty. Service slowCArowerVIPDined on 11/14/2011Food is tasty. Service slow and sketchy. Waiter absent a lot, not-gracious, barely spoke english. We had to chase him down to pay.Special Features:
- Food was outstanding, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2011Food was outstanding, service was excellent as there was only two other tables being served. Wine list by the glass could have had a few more choices. Overall I would recommend to a friend or collegue.Special Features:
- I've been to Clay Oven severalOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/20/2011I've been to Clay Oven several times and have always enjoyed what I ordered - I've tried quite a few different dishes. I would certainly recommend the chicken tikka masala, the chicken tandoori and the chicken biryani. Their buffet, if you're going for lunch, is really good, too.Special Features:
- ImpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/22/2011We're Indian and unfortunate elitists about Indian food . . . the lunch buffet was spectacular! Fresh ingredients, expertly prepared, with a wide variety of dishes. It was an excellent value for the quality--$10 per person. We'll definitely go back for more :-)Special Features:
- A really nice selection ofalbeaneDined on 5/16/2011A really nice selection of appetizers, entrees and naan. Also you can get your choice of mild, medium or hot spice levels. All in all I would recommend Clay Oven. For sure we'll go back again.Special Features:
- Not very livelyMMMMMVIPDined on 4/23/2011Staff seems quite indifferent about guests being there - kinda like horses looking out from their stables - expressionless, no comments, no interaction - just melting away the time I guess. Otherwise, food is pretty good. A bit pricey; nan and rice is extra...
- Fantastic lunch buffet!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/14/2011I love this place. The food is always great, the service is friendly and the restaurant is clean. My favorite time to go is during their lunch buffet, i really like trying a little bit of everything. I have even ordered food for pick up and it was just as delicious.Special Features:
- The best Indian Food but slow serviOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/10/2011I have always enjoyed eating at the Clay Oven - the best Indian food for miles around. The ambiance is not bad - the restaurant is lightly occupied during dinner times so you can sit far apart from other diners and have private conversations. The service level seems to be declining of late. The last time we went there for dinner, the service was awfully slow - it took us three hours for dinner - most of it waiting for the attention of the staff, waiting for the food to arrive and, finally, waiting for the deserts to arrive. The food was exceptional, as always but the service could have been more prompt.Special Features:
- I'm from New York and I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/30/2010I'm from New York and I have always said that Indian restaurants are some of the most consistently good eating establishments you can find as you travel around the country. Clay Oven Cuisine is no exception. We enjoyed the Saag Paneer and the chicken Biryani very much. They also have stuffed naan...we had the mint...very nice. We didn't get a chance to sample the Tandoori offerings...next time.Special Features:
- One of our favorite localOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/19/2010One of our favorite local Indian restaurants. Good selection of entrees. Consistently good and unpretentious.Special Features:
- When we arrived at the restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/6/2010When we arrived at the restaurant, it seemed like there were more servers than customers. Unfortunately, this ratio did not result in good service. One server was nice enough, but I thought the rest were rather brash. The food did not stand out compared to other Indian restaurants.
- I enjoyed the tasty food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/25/2010I enjoyed the tasty food, great services and a good selection of the indian music at Clay Oven.Special Features:
- Went for wife's b-day andOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/24/2010Went for wife's b-day and we ordered up a bunch of different items for variety - lamb, chicken and veggies. Everything was outstanding - fresh, flavorful and the aromas were great, service was spot on and attentive throughout the evening. In fact - I scribbled out the original tip on the cc slip and added more to it - the service was that good. Finally - we had lots of left overs and while being on a day trip the following day I spent a good amount of the day quietly anticipating getting home and polishing off the leftovers. This was my third time there and I've never been disappointed.
- We went for dinner with aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/26/2010We went for dinner with a group of 5 friends, we ordered a ton of dishes and they were all great!Special Features:
- I enjoyed the lunch buffetnaturemaDined on 1/15/2010I enjoyed the lunch buffet and found the price very reasonable.
- Decent food, but service leftOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 12/31/2009Decent food, but service left a little to be desired. Nothing incredibly special, just a good meal.
- The spicy lamb coconut curryOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/4/2009The spicy lamb coconut curry was exceptional. Many thanks!
- A very enjoyable meal andetlrVIPDined on 8/31/2009A very enjoyable meal and the service was excellent! My chicken curry was extra hot, as I had requested, and the chicken beautifully tender. My husband had a prawn dish that was also delicious, though next time he will ask for it to be extra, extra hot! To start, we had a cucumber salad that was a little disappointing in its lack of flavour, but there are plenty of other starters to choose from next time we dine there. In all, a very worthwile visit.
- Definitely one of the bestJk23530Dined on 7/8/2009Definitely one of the best Indian restaurants I've found in the area. They tend to hold back on the spicyness more than I would like- when you ask for a medium, it's sometimes closer to mild.
- the food was great, the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2009the food was great, the service was beyond comparison,excellent selection of wines,plus romantic atmosphere. what more could one want. I would recomend this restaurant to any and all people i knowSpecial Features:
- Very delicious Indian cuisineBarbaraFVIPDined on 5/30/2009Very delicious Indian cuisine although the prices are a bit higher than your run-of-the-mill neighborhood Indian restaurant.
- The food is very good. ServersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/20/2009The food is very good. Servers were nice, but not polished. It's a fantastic value for buffet lunch.Special Features:
- decent lunch buffet - good,OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 5/4/2009decent lunch buffet - good, but nothing to write home aboutSpecial Features:
- The food is always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/12/2009The food is always excellent here. The only thing I notice consistently is the red meat can be overcooked. I had shrimp once which was so overcooked it was almost hard. Strange. But the sauces... the sauces and spices they use to flavor everything takes skill - and it makes up for any area that lacks. A particular favorite is the Chicken Korma & samosas. I also like the Spinach Naan... so tasty.Special Features: