Clay Oven Cuisine of India
15435 Jeffrey Road
Irvine, CA 92618Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Clay Oven Cuisine of India
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.clayovenirvine.com/
- Phone: (949) 552-2851
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tues-Sun, 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Tues-Sun, 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian, Wild Game, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Geeta Bansal
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full service catering - Premier caterer to all major hotels and event sites requiring Indian regional cuisines.
- Special Events: Summer Wine Event, Monday June 23rd
Calling all wine aficionados for our Summer Wine Event! Join us for a fun evening of summer wines and interesting small bites! We will be offering tastes of wines from France, Italy, and California along with small bites. The tapas style plates will range from $6-$10. Regular dinner service will not be available that evening. Entry for the evening will be $30 which gives you the opportunity to sample all 16+ wines. 4:30pm - 7:30pm, Monday June 23rd. For reservations for this special event, call us at (949)-552-2851!
A word from Clay Oven Cuisine of India
A meal at The Clay Oven is destined to change the way guests think of Indian dining. Taking inspiration from the regional cuisines of India, The Clay Oven offers a selection of seafood, poultry, meats and vegetables. This jewel-like restaurant has a welcoming glow reflected by the soft contours of the walls, eclectic artwork, and candlelit tables. The delicious aromas wafting through the interior prepare diners for a "traditional modern" Indian dining experience. Owners Geeta and Praveen Bansal have been serving loyal guests for over 25 years, tickling their palates with dishes like Pumpkin Tamarind soup, Pomegranate Glazed Quail and Nilgiri Scallops. The menu is always evolving, changing with the seasons and comparable to cuisine offered at fine dining restaurants in Delhi, Bombay and Bangalore. The Clay Oven is a local favorite and, at the same time, a trendsetter for fine Indian dining in Southern California.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Clay Oven Cuisine of India - Best Restaurants in Irvine ›
Clay Oven Cuisine of India reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (19)special occasion (9)romantic (5)good for groups (5)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- A Truly Amazing RestaurantConwonfuDined on 11/16/2014I love Indian food so I might be a little biased. But, I loved everything about it! Our host was one of the nicest guys I've met and he was so accommodating! The food was excellent! I had a chicken tikka masala that was amazing and the okra is a must try! It is so good. I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Clay Oven!CarolDined on 11/14/2014A favorite spot for us and has been for many years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our FavoriteFishloverDined on 11/1/2014Clay Oven is one of our very favorite restaurants. We go there 3-4 times per year and always take out of town guests there for dinner. We (and guests) are universally impressed with the amazing flavors and textures of all the menu items we've ordered. We are vegetarians, and they are so accommodating, always willing to recommend wonderful vegetarian options from their extensive menu. We will be back again and again.Special Features:
- Favorite Indian restaurantXKXKXDined on 10/31/2014Wonderful food, very nice ambiance, excellent selections of beers (I don't know enough about wine to comment on the wine list), charming hosts, and some menu items you wouldn't expect to find at an Indian restaurant.Special Features:
- Nice Place - Nice PeopleTrainkcVIPDined on 10/29/2014Had a very nice meal there this week - staff was very friendly and helpful - food was good tooSpecial Features:
- Great Nite OutHLSCALDined on 10/25/2014Great Food, Excellent Service, Nice Presentation of Food ItemsSpecial Features:
- Lovely Little Neighborhood GemFoodChickDined on 10/12/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Clay Oven. My family of 5 adults and teens came for my daughter's 19th birthday, and we were treated with wonderful service, great food and pleasant ambiance. The waiter helped us decide on entrées, and the amount was perfect...no food pushing here, just thoughtful advice and delicious food. We had Chicken Tikki Marsala (our favorite), Pork Vindaloo (Nice Spice), Lamb Shank, which melted off the bone and had a wonderful depth of flavor, and spinach paneer, which honestly was just OK. The naan and rice were delicious and fully complimented the meal and we had a nice bottle of red wine. Lovely...we feel we have found our Indian restaurant! Finally!Special Features:
- Great FoodDenisVIPDined on 9/28/2014This was an anniversary, and as we come here about once a year, I am always pleased with the food and the service. The owner and his son are ALWAYS professional and extremely helpful. I would and have recommended this to anyone who enjoys awesome food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Indian Dining That gets itBS1MEDined on 9/17/2014What an amazing meal. Outstanding service from an owner that get's it. Fresh ingredients, not oily and loaded with cream. Indian Food done right. They have the traditional and they have exotic....rabbit, elk, boar. samosa taster one with kale and kimchee? amazing. Swordfish that melts in your mouth. Let the owner recommend the food and sit back and take a trip back to india.... about time! well done!Special Features:
- Our Third VisitElaineDined on 8/24/2014Once again we very much enjoyed Clay Oven. I had planned on ordering the lamb shank which I have had before, but the owner said it's possible I might change my mind. He was right, as when he suggested the lamb chops. I couldn't resist. My husband stuck with his original choice, the rack of baby back ribs. My lamb chops were thick, tender, tasty and cooked perfectly. My husbands ribs were fall off the bone tender with a great sauce, nothing like the usual barbecue sauce. In addition, we ordered a spinach dish which was also excellent. Our server was wonderful. The owner is a very pleasant man who made us feel comfortable. I rated the ambience outstanding because we like a quiet restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovetodineLovetodineVIPDined on 8/23/2014Clay Oven is simply the best Indian restaurant in Southern Calif. The food is fresh, prepared exactly as you want it. There are always interesting new items with the change of seasons. The owner and son are wonderful hosts,make you feel like family, always remember you and make great food suggestions. We typically dine there at least once a month and each time the experience is excellent.Special Features:
- Always perfect!DrENGVIPDined on 8/22/2014I have been dining at Clay Oven for over 20 years and they never stop being amazing! The food is terrific, the beer and wine menus are maturing nicely and the service is exceptional! Now living in Michigan, I make dining here a priority on each return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don;t Go TheredissappointedDined on 8/19/2014Food was just OK, not great, but what shocked us was the bill. We were charged $ 70 ( seventy dollars) for a lunch that was barely worth # 25 I would never go there again, or recomend it to any of my friends.
- Clay Oven is the best IndianOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014Praveen continues to provide the best Indian dining experience in Orange County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousShoshanaVIPDined on 8/8/2014If you didn't know it was there, you could easily walk past and miss this gem! My husband and I were groaning with delight all the way through the meal. This is the BEST Indian cuisine I have ever had, and I frequent restaurants in Northern and Southern CA. What a find!Special Features:
- Eclectic Indian CuisineAspiringCriticDined on 8/3/2014Very good food in a very pleasant atmosphere. We brought my mother here for a nice dinner out and were greeted by both the owner and his son. The specials were all interesting and we were pleasantly surprised to find such a wide variety of dishes on the menu, all Indian inspired, but each with a unique twist. The menu included duck, venison and rabbit. We ordered three different entrees, naan and rice for three adults. Portions weren't huge, but we all felt satisfied at the end of the meal. For the price, you're getting enough inspired, high quality food to be content. If you're looking for typical, hastily prepared curries in large quantities, this is probably not the right place to go. But if you want food with character, come here!Special Features:
- Incredible blending of flavors!OpenTableDinerVIPDined on 7/29/2014The Clay Oven is one of my favorite restaurants when I crave a satisfying, burst of FLAVOR!!! The service is impeccable, and the meals never fail to delight. This is far and away the BEST Indian cuisine I've experienced in this country. Thank you SO much!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 290 reviews are from the Clay Oven Cuisine of India reviews archive.
- Great Indian FoodRAL3Dined on 7/25/2014The service is attentive and the food authentic and some dishes have a twist. Like the Habanero Chicken Vindaloo. Great flavorful dish, but you have to like it hot, cause it is! They have a good assortment of vegetarian dishes. The chef even created one for my wife. It tasted great. This is a must try and we will be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/19/2014We've been dining at Clay Oven since 1990, and have never been disappointed. With the menu changes that have taken place the food is getting even better every time! Fantastic food, archive and atmosphere! A favorite of ours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Time for a ChangeDDavidsonVIPDined on 7/18/2014Menu has been the same for the past five to six years. You get tired of the same menu of items. Its time for a change to this old menu. Its now boring. Will have to find a new place with more options.
- Best Indian food in OCdavemVIPDined on 7/2/2014Always excellent. Some dishes with a gourmet twist, some traditional. Me and my family have been here 5 times and every time was consistently great.Special Features:
- Always impressive!Nobell45Dined on 6/20/2014Brought my sister here for dinner. She is not adventurous when it comes to food, but I have raved about this restaurant for years to her. She was surprisingly very happy with everything we ordered and loved the complex flavors of all of the sauces! I personally love the food here, and think it is the best Indian food in O.C.! We will be back. The only 'issue' we had is that is got so extremely noisy in there because of a 'party' going on in the small space of the restaurant.... we were literally screaming our heads off to talk and hear each other... very disappointing. I ended up with a very hoarse throat and a true headache from screaming for 2 hours and we had to leave. But as far as service and food - EXCELLENT!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/14/2014I'm old fashion when comes to "service" at a restaurant. You receive a wonderful service from the waiter as well as the manager. I love Indian food in a traditional home style but once in a while I want to taste it in a different level. Clay oven is perfect for it. Many varieties of choices of meat, great spice, very elegant. Who knew Indian food can be this way?Special Features:
- Phenomenal All-Around Experiencesidv22VIPDined on 6/6/2014Had an exceptional experience. The staff, including the owner and his son, provided top-notch service and even created special dishes for us based on our preferences. The soups were amazing, especially the tomato soup with tomatoes from the owner's backyard. The eggplant was grilled; it is so hard to find grilled eggplant as most places fry it, and it was amazing. All the main courses, including dishes featuring lamb, chicken, and shrimp were just fantastic, as was the dessert. The owner picked out an exceptional bottle of wine.Special Features:
- Treasure Trove Indian foodie CusineFoodieDined on 6/4/2014Great dining experience , the owner was very attentive to your requests and recommended dishes and combinations accordingly. The wine list is ideal for the cuisine. We really enjoyed the experience..Noteworthy : the spices/sauces used are not over welhming and bring out the natural flavors of the main ingredients . The Feta naan was an amazing surprise ! loved it !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oustanding FinddingoVIPDined on 5/23/2014Once again, great meal. If you enjoy exotic meats they always have a special that will intrigue you. Food and Service is always the best.Special Features:
- Our favorite Indian restaurantrjonesirvDined on 5/3/2014Clay Oven is near our home and we visit it often. The owner, Previn, is very attentive and we rely on him for suggestions. We have yet to order from the menu; just leave it up to them to recommend. The swordfish melts in your mouth.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite food and friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/11/2014Exquisite food and friendly and impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/8/2014Had a wonderful meal at Clay Oven. The food was spicy and fragrant but not overwhelming to an American palate. From the menu, we had the Lamb Panange, rice, and Naan as an appetizer with mint and tomato spreads. Both were excellent! We also had a beef shank tandoor and a wonderful chicken dish from the specials. This restaurant is pricy, so it befits a special occasion meal. But the atmosphere and service are both good for such an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictably PerfectlapsrusVIPDined on 4/4/2014Yet another evening when we, at the last minute, decided to go back to the Clay Oven and were impressed by another wonderful meal. The staff is first rate and the beef kabobs, saag, and naan were perfect. If you are on a budget, go to the lunch buffet. Same great food, but much less expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative IndianMarcoVIPDined on 3/22/2014Although you can get chicken tikka masala, there are a variety of really tasty and creative Indian dishes on the menu not seen on your run of the mill Northern Indian menu. Some healthy alternatives are also available such as quinoa and brown rice3Special Features:
- I think the food quality wasFirsttimerDined on 3/21/2014I think the food quality was overall good. But at the end of the day, it did seem pricey for general dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian in OCSeregei8Dined on 3/14/2014My girlfriend and I have been trying to find a good Indian place in OC and haven't had much luck until Clay Oven, it was amazing! Food was incredible! The wait staff was excellent, the owner and his soon are extremely nice and do most of the serving personally. They a tremendous job reccomending wines and food, my girlfriend ordered the chicken tiki Marsala and I originall ordered a lamb dish. When I did the owner asked if I really liked lamb, when I said yes he said he would bring me something better. He brought out the most amazing lamb shank the we devoured! And it wasn't even on the menu! For my girlfriend he asked her preference on spicy she likes her dishes and brought sauces to fit her tastes exactly. We will definetly be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and service.KYoungVIPDined on 3/13/2014A delicious spread of food, and some of the best service ever. Preveen, the proprietor, made us feel welcome from the moment we walked through the door, and his attention didn't waver throughout the entire meal. His wife is the chef, and each course was extraordinary. The mixed grill special included wild boar, frog legs, quail and venison, and the seafood curry converted my husband from a curry hater to a fan. Don't let the strip mall location fool you. THis place is a little piece of Indian heaven in Irvine. MUCH better than the overpriced Tamarind of London in Newport Beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and ExquisiteShoshanaVIPDined on 3/11/2014Who would have thought that tucked into this strip mall is the most outstanding Indian restaurant ever! Service is top-notch, flavors of all our dishes danced over our palates, and the ambiance is elegant and comfortable simultaneously. We have already made our next reservation. Can't wait!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much love for The Clay OvenRobinDined on 3/8/2014The Clay Oven is my favorite dining spot in Irvine. Terrific Indian food and fabulous customer service. The owners are so nice and make you feel special every time you dine there. I enjoy the relaxing dining environment. You can't go wrong eating there. I dine there regularly for date night and family date night. I have also purchased multiple tandoori turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas and everyone enjoyed them including family members who don't love Indian food. I hope you enjoy this restaurant as much as I do.Special Features:
- Finally - good Indian Food!!kkldDined on 2/15/2014We have been on the hunt for good Indian food for quite some time. As it was, our favorite place was about 700 miles away, which was not especially convenient.... The service was impeccable. Our glasses were never empty, and before we even realized we needed anything, things showed up! Even the smallest of details were perfect! The food was even better. We ordered the pork vindaloo and the chicken daily special. I think I would go with chicken vindaloo next time. The pork was good, and something I had not tried before, but I prefer the taste of chicken. But this is on me, not the restaurant! The chicken special was delicious and spicy without being overpowering! The artichoke pakora app was amazing! Everything was perfect!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodIzizDined on 2/14/2014I made a reservation on-line for Valentines Day and disintegration know what to expect. I saw that the place had. Decent rating so I took a chance. I had the chicken Massala w Nananf rice and some samosas . The food was excellent and the service was even better. The man that greeted me at the door was friendly and cordial and even allowed us to dine earlier than our reservation time. I have nothing bad to say about this place. It was my first time eating there and I will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wont be back on valentines daylowerscatDined on 2/14/2014Spent 70 including tip for two. Anod doggie bag. $8 for a 2-3 oz salad. $15 on veggie dishes, less than a whole potato and spinich!, and same with brusttle sprouts, $15, were they even organic? Served in a very "nice" but small cerial type bowl. And also 4 dollars for bread x2, second "bread was a tortia heated up for $4, most resteraunts give bread while you wait. ALSO THE SERVICE WAS OVERLY ATTENTIVE, BORDERLINE invasive, and a constant disturbance, mixed with untimly entree distribution did'nt make sense. I finally had to vibe em , that i was there to be with my gal, not constantly be interupted.Special Features:
- Excellent service & excellent food.OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/11/2014Especially recommend the samosa trio appetizer. Service is consistently exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.