8 Claude Lane
San Francisco, CA 94108Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.myclaudine.com/
- Phone: 4157622677x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11am-2:30pm
Happy Hour: Monday-Friday 4:00pm-6:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Saturday 5:30pm-10:00pm
**New** Happy Hour
Monday - Friday, 4pm-6pm
$1 per ounce wine on tap!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, French American, French
- Executive Chef: Exec Bridget Batson & Patrick Kelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact Leila to inquire about private dining, cocktail receptions, and buy-outs.
- Private Party Contact: Leila 4159561310x
A word from Claudine
French Eatery and Wine bar, featuring Artisan wine on tap. 3-star SF Chronicle rated cuisine, Top 100 Bay Area Restaurants 2012. Claudine provides casual, warm service with the educated flair of San Francisco. The restaurant's cuisine features Executive Chefs Bridget Batson and Patrick Kelly's sensibilities with local ingredients and French influence. The wine list features an eclectic collection of French Old World and California New World selections from Wine Director Sarah Knoefler.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Claudine reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (6)neighborhood gem (6)great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (4)special occasion (2)notable wine list (2)good for groups (1)scenic view (1)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great for LunchsfcbDined on 7/22/2014Nice spot in the Financial District for a tasty lunch -- even eating outdoors on a slightly rough surface so that the chairs and tables wobble a bit. The food is good: current favorite is the BLT. Well-prepared and well-seasoned -- fresh ingredients not drowned in sauce or seasoning. Really tasty desserts. The service is friendly and enthusiastic as opposed to polished, but not intrusive. Reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local find!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/29/2014Was looking for a new lunch spot in the financial district and came upon this gem. Tucked away on the Claude Lane we enjoyed a solid lunch al fresco one afternoon. Approachable food, prompt service in a cool atmosphere. Nice wine selection- will return!Special Features:
- poor food and lazy hostess servicesjavaDined on 5/21/2014We have arrived at the restaurant and only after almost 10 min someone showed up to put us on a table ....also this resto should NOT charge as much as they do, they seem a bit arrogant to charge for a food that i can eat in any fast food resto...the menu said asparagus and i saw three or four slices of very thin asparagus, this is outrageous...no you guys are not that good....waitress was okay...i did not like it and will not come back...
- Just nice...MaggieDined on 5/8/2014The bar is really nice, so if you are looking for a spot to have a drink before dinner, this is good place. The mussels were not as good as we expected, but dessert and coffe are great!
- The following 128 reviews are from the Claudine reviews archive.
- Fair for early dinnerSFwkendDined on 5/3/2014We had 5:30 seating; good service. Only two servings of chicken left. All portions were small except the kale salad. Wine in carafe was too expensive for small carafe. Menu was very limited for our family of six. We would not return.
- No ValueDinahDined on 5/2/2014Friday lunch with a friend. The restaurant is noisy, the risotto was terrible, the service was poor, and we were charged for ice tea refills(glass is very small). Lunch for 2 came to $64 before tip. That was for 2 entrees, 1 salad, and 3 iced teas priced at $4 each. Very bad value. First time dining and will not return.
- my new tasty placehungryhumanDined on 2/8/2014Dined with three friends and got a good sample of the menu. The cheese selection is great and the vegetable tartine is delicious, though I would like more for $15. Roast chicken is rich and comes with super-decadent (and thankfully small) bread salad. My friend's smoked trout salad looked beautiful... didn't see too much trout but the poached egg on top is glorious. We also got the lime parfait for desert, which is tangy and has the perfect crumble on top and is now one of my new favorite things. It's an "eastery & wine bar" and I am no wine fanatic but I thought the grenache blanc was refreshing. We had a great time talking over our food and ended up spending 2.5 hours at Claudine! But we never felt rushed. Must return for happy hour!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlrightDinerDined on 2/8/2014While I thought everything was fine, Claudine didn't leave much of an impression on me. The servers were efficient and friendly, but none of the food was particularly memorable. Not a bad choice, but there are better places nearby.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a group!OutoftownerVIPDined on 2/7/2014I like that these reviews are from actual diners like myself! Our group was promptly seated, given nice service and ate beautiful foods like the pâté plate, pork belly, mussels and beef brisket. The beef brisket was superb and rose above the rest so I'd definitely recommend it. Overall it was a lovely, relaxed dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningrichbhamDined on 2/4/2014Really excellent food selections (mussels, pumpkin gratin) and delicious wine. Not too crowded on a Tuesday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really wanted moreCaliforniaFoodieVIPDined on 1/16/2014The menu is seductive, trout salad on frisee with roasted potatoes and a poached egg with creme fraiche dressing and a second entree of mussels. OK, we had our choices. But wait, how about some bread. That's $2.00 more, even if you order entrees but we're hungry when we sit down and have ordered wine and a beer between us so we ask for the bread. Table next to us comes in after us, orders their bread and gets two orders before I finally have to ask for ours. Hmmmm, not quite on the ball here. Entree salad comes, it's mediocre and bland, lots of greens, little toppings, mussels come and they are salty. So salty that all the way home we're dying of thirst. Sorry to say, this one's off our list. Will go back to Plouf for mussels.
- Most amazing kale . . .g84vegesVIPDined on 1/13/2014As a vegetarian it can sometimes be a challenge to find variety. Not at Claudine. I split a very favorful kale salad, brussell sprouts in a cream sauce and a very tasty pasta with a delicate cheese. Speaking of cheese, our servor recommended a goat cheese, hard cheese and a cheese in the blue cheese family all of which were amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a solid choice for FiDimamamalleyVIPDined on 1/8/2014We have lunch often at Claudine. Great place to take clients or employees for a nice lunch that isn't overly-fancy. I like the ambiance--feels very N.Y. Food is always well-executed and the menu options are very healthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a very nice, romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We had a very nice, romantic birthday lunch with my boyfriend. The best choice we could make.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013A delicious and romantic meal. Food portions were somewhat small, but my partner and I both quickly found ourselves feeling satisfied. I guess what it lacks in size it makes up for in richness. Ambience was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant, casual French restaurantluvfoodnwineDined on 12/14/2013I visited Claudine several times during a recent week spent in SF for work. The staff are always welcoming and the atmosphere pleasant. Happy Hour is great if you just want a glass of wine or a few with some tasty snacks. The quality of the food is quite good, and the prices are reasonable for a such quality served at a downtown SF location.Special Features:
- Great restaurant to enjoySylviaDined on 12/7/2013Great restaurant to enjoy some wonderful wine and food!Special Features:
- Fabulous sister to Cafe Claude!SuzanneVIPDined on 11/22/2013I love Cafe Claude. It's one of my favorite places, but I just wanted to try something a bit different. Claudine was a perfect match. The food is as wonderful as her sister, Cafe Claude. Other interesting options, a little less traditional, a bit better on the price point. Great wines at very good prices. Options of smaller plates, which the kate salad is not although fabulous! We will visit Claudine again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute spotTTSFVIPDined on 11/5/2013Claudine is tucked away on Claude Ln in the FiDi - it's a cute spot for a glass of wine. I love it for happy hour or a first date. This was the first time I tried it for lunch and was neither blown away nor let down. We ordered the lunch prix fixe - choice of soup or salad, choice of sandwich and macarons. The quinoa tabbouleh salad was delicious - but the server only brought my companion hers, while I sat there wondering why she didn't bring mine at the same time. We both ordered the prix fixe, so it was a bit unusual. The food was very tasty - maybe a little too 'potent' for a working lunch - I felt like my breath was super oniony after one or two bites of the steak sandwich. Will be back for a glass of wine, will see about the rest.
- Love itOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2013Local, fresh, french. I love it. The mussels were amazing, I love how they make their own stuff. It's great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salads are amazingTheProfessorVIPDined on 10/22/2013Try the kale salad. No -- just order it and be amazed. Everything was top notch although the waiter seemed surprised Inwanted to order the salad and the salmon entree. I allowed him to talk me into the meatball soup instead. It was very nice but the salmon preparation did sound more interesting. Wines are by the glass and some unusual things are offered. Don't skip dessert here either. Wine is what pulls the whole thing together at Ckaudine. Save room for Sauternes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and deliciousRdtheWrldTrvlerVIPDined on 10/22/2013A very small French restaurant right on the corner of Claude Lane and Bush St in the heart of the French District. Modern decor, food with riffs on traditional French cuisine. Our meal was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyDianeT1VIPDined on 10/15/2013Claudine was really good. Great location for parking garages and theater. Nice menu.Special Features:
- Perfect for business lunchSnowhiteDined on 10/10/2013Great little spot for business meeting over lunch. Lovely food and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place!SteveDined on 10/4/2013We had a lovely meal here as a family. The food was excellent and the service was superb. The menu is rather short, but it was well done. The large square bar was as popular as the tables for eating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but service SLOWcublubberVIPDined on 10/4/2013Enjoyed the food, ate outside, hated paying $1 for bread and butter but still did. I'm recommending the place but only if you have time. Since it's difficult for the waitstaff to serve outdoors, the service was VERY slow and what should've been a nice one hour lunch was a stressful one and a half hours, waiting for the check.Special Features:
- Hospitality PlusJeanieVIPDined on 9/27/2013This was a great find on a recent trip to San Francisco. Highlight was the warm and welcoming demeanor of the server and hostess. Food excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst service and fair foodOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/10/2013After realizing there was no valet parking and getting stuck, I walk in to find a very rude server. She was young and inexperienced. It took 1.5 hours (literally) to get our entrees. And when they came, there were no apologies or excuses. The food was average to poor.
- SuperbMidwestMavenVIPDined on 9/7/2013We really enjoyed an early dinner here. The service was friendly and happy to oblige, and the food was quite a surprise. I had the chicken which was anything but humdrum. The chicken itself was exactly how you want your own chicken to turn out (mine however never does) juicy, flavorful, paired with bread salad that was so unexpected and SO flavorful (but not overpowering). Wine list wasn't too long to manage, and there were some very reasonably priced bottle options (always appreciate that). I'll go back.Special Features:
- hyped. nothing great.ruchiDined on 8/28/2013Pros: Food is flavorful Place is small so its a cozy setting Cons: Slow service if you sit outside Prices are high for the portions offered. Seriously, I couldn't justify spending so much on so little, even if the food was flavorful. I've eaten at other restaurants where food is more flavorful than this place and dishes are similarly priced. That's where I justify the money spent, but not here. One star also off because we had checked out this place online before and seen some dishes that others had raved about. None of them were on the menu any longer. But we did appreciate that the person who took our order tried his best to suggest some dishes when he saw we were kinda disappointed when we didn't get to taste those unavailable dishes.Special Features:
- I love Claudine's. The foodEditress1Dined on 8/28/2013I love Claudine's. The food is always yummy, beautifully presented and satisfying. This is one of my favorite lunch spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant scenezingeoffVIPDined on 8/22/2013Claude lane offers a nice variety of french inspired eating options. Claudines anchors the alleys end, offering inside tables, subject to horrendous loud noise problems, or outdoor tables which are pleasant in decent weather. The menu consists of small plates and large plates. Even the large plates are modestly portioned. Items favor french favorities like pork and chicken, and ever popular mussels. Items are tasty, infused with generous amounts of garlic. Only wine and beer ore offered. This is a nice option for a minor variation, mostly in venue, to one of the other eateries along the lane.Special Features:
- Reliably good modern French cuisineStudentessaDined on 8/8/2013I have eaten at Claudine's many times, and I've never been disappointed. The menu is small and eclectic, but everything is first rate. I especially like their meatball and kale soup and their Croque Claudine. If you order a diet Come, you get a French brand, which is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing wrong, but ...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2013There was nothing wrong with the dinner we had, but there was nothing special about it either. My glass of wine was very nice (Syrah). Pork chop was hard instead of succulent. Meat ball soup was overly salty. Creme brulee was ho hum. With so many choices in San Francisco, there is just no great reason to return to Claudine.
- Cheers!TTSFVIPDined on 7/29/2013Claudine is the perfect post-work spot for a glass or two of wine and small plates with coworkers or cozy date-night. The small space is really charming and the staff is super friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly SurprisedJohnVIPDined on 7/27/2013The reviews were a bit hit or miss, but my wife and I had an excellent dinner there that balanced great food, excellent wine and quality service. Even the prices were quite reasonable. We split a few salads (Tomate and green salad were great) but the STANDOUT was the meatball soup - not to be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMaryDined on 7/20/2013On a busy street, no ambiance, my table was next to the wait staff prep area and the view was of the Pass thru to the kitchen. I read that Claudine's was cozy and charming. I found it to be the exact opposite. The service was good, but the food was mediocre. The fluorescent lighting was harsh. I would not dine at Claudine's again and would not recommend this restaurant
- Wonderful server named HannahOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/13/2013Wonderful server named Hannah who worked the menu for the three of us like a magician!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the salmon and a cabernetgradstudentladyDined on 6/28/2013I had the salmon and a cabernet sauvignon -- both delicious. I didn't get desert but the rhubarb pie sounded very summer-appropriate. The waitstaff was very professional and knowledgeable about their menu. Thanks, Claudine's!Special Features:
- Revivingly good foodajweillDined on 6/28/2013A good friend had his parents visiting and asked me to recommend a place to meet them for lunch. My friend was also feeling a touch under the weather, so I insisted we go to Claudine's where he could have the wonderful meatball soup with carrots and kale. All of us enjoyed the soup along with excellent roast chicken and gnocchi. The service was amiable, and I'm a big fan of the music selections (largely 60s R&B). We lingered without feeling at all rushed, and the noise level was low enough that conversation was easy. I'll be back as often as I can.Special Features: