1001 SE Water Avenue
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.clarklewispdx.com/
- Phone: (503) 235-2294
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: monday thru friday 11.30- 2.00
DINNER: monday thru saturday 5.30- late
HAPPY HOUR: mon thru sat 4.30- 6.30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kyo Koo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The KINDLING ROOM is our intimate and dramatic private room available for up to 24 seated guest for dinner and up to 40 for standing cocktail reception.
A word from clarklewis
A bustling eatery in the central eastside industrial district serving Italian inspired local, organic, seasonal, sustainable fare. clarklewis has received many honors since opening, including restaurant of the year (the Oregonian), 10 most notable new restaurants of 2004 (Wall Street Journal) and 10 hottest new restaurants of the year (msn.com) Dinner reservations are highly recommended, however most evenings we have walk-in availability on a first come first servedContinued
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
clarklewis - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
clarklewis reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (61)good for groups (50)romantic (43)neighborhood gem (39)hot spot (27)notable wine list (22)great for lunch (22)late-night find (14)great for outdoor dining (12)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Trendy Industrial East Side Restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/26/2014Second time here in as many weeks. First time for dinner and the second time for lunch. Atmosphere food and service were great. Prices were about right for the quality of food and service. My only suggestion is that during lunch with the windows open the background music was not necessary. It was getting a little loud. I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!mrsatisfiedDined on 11/22/2014As a special treat, I took my wife out to someplace new and exciting. I read the reviews on Opentable for ClarkLewis and thought we would try it out. We ordered the chef's menu and, although they said it is four courses-there were two to three items per course. The value was amazing given the wonderful array of food. This was a really special night and Charmaine, our waitress, did a fantastic job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally made it to ClarklewisCulinaryNirvanaDined on 11/21/2014I've had Clarklewis on my culinary "bucket list" for nearly a year. We finally had opportunity to dine there this past Friday, and boy am I glad we did. Everything from the bread and cocktail to the tender angolotti and perfectly cooked jack was wonderful. My only "complaint"- I felt the radicchio in the Grilled Radicchio salad needed to be cut into smaller more manageable pieces. Yes, I had a knife and was able to cut it myself, but the rest of the salad ingredients were quite small by comparison-a little unbalanced. The staff was very attentive yet understated. We shared the Gingerbread with pumpkin butter and ganache-OMG! I am looking forward to visiting again and seeing what new delights we discover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnforgettableRobinDined on 11/19/2014We ordered the chef's special tasting and it was...amazing!!! They brought out plate after plate after plate of delicious food, all of which was explained by the professional and knowledgeable service people...the ambiance is friendly and warm and the smells wafting from the kitchen are to die for...I highly recommend this restaurant if you are ready for an amazing dining experience...so wonderful....thank you clarklewis!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outrageously Good Food/Outrageously NoisyTheTruthDined on 11/14/2014The great food and service of this restaurant are overshadowed by the obscene noise level. My partner got hoarse shouting to me from three feet across a small two-person table! It's like eating in the dining hall of a big university, hospital, or prison where there are no noise restrictions. But if that atmosphere is your thing, this place is great because of the great food, drink, and service. The pace is slow and leisurely (just what I like when I'm into a slow dinner with lots of good conversation with my companion(s) and no rush to get somewhere else). If money is an issue, however, be aware that clarklewis is spendy (I would say overpriced, but that judgement is based as much on my income level as on the $140 price tag (including tip) for a great dinner for two including wine and lots of food). We ordered quite a few items as the portions are small compared to my big appetite and the price per item. But everything we ordered was superb, from the generally organic/sustainable ingredients, to the preparation and presentation, to the impeccable service by the waiters. The background music was perfect except for the fact that the place is just so loud that even soft, tasteful music is just one more added piece of the intensely loud background noise. I wonder if the staff and owners are aware of the noise problem, or if it's just me and my partner who have sensitive ears?Special Features:
- Service made the differenceGoBuckyDined on 11/13/2014Went for lunch on a cold wet day so there was plenty of seating. Whereas the lunch menu for the entres' is limited the prices seem ok. The food was nothing special but we had great service which was appreciated as we were entertaining friends from out of town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tasting menu is a great dealbruceDined on 11/7/2014the items were all super delicious. only trouble was too much food!Special Features:
- ReveiwRichDined on 11/6/2014Selected this venue because it is a reliable great place for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent, accessible foodMonicainPDXDined on 11/4/2014Well-prepared seasonal menu that was creative yet still palatable to our 10-year-old daughter. We all thoroughly enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencecbuiDined on 10/24/2014We were very happy with our dinner at clarklewis. Dinner was great, food was delicious, service was awesome. AND did i mentioned that they have parking right next to their restaurant too? Overall our experience at clarklewis was fabulous.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceAshstylerDined on 10/23/2014This place has been around long enough that it's always dependably good. The Crowd is a bit older usually, partly due to price and partly due to portland's ever growing foodie scene. Not as hard to get a table as it was a few years agoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and smallSuvideDined on 10/20/2014I recently took a friend here for her birthday and we enjoyed the terrific, if meager, food that I expect. The one wrinkle in the evening was the wholly uninspired service from our server who seemed annoyed to have our table. We were nothing but pleasant. As my friend said to me, "smiles are free", and a server will benefit financially from an engaging attitude, whether real or acted. But the food is great.Special Features:
- Yum!lovefoodDined on 10/20/2014Loved the radiccio salad, would definitely order it again. Looking forward to Happy Hour on next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!KateDined on 10/18/2014This is my favorite dinner spot. If I could afford to eat here every week, I would. The tasting menu is always wonderful and a surprise. They make me like things I don't normally like or even eat. They are creative and the dishes are paced to perfection. Everyone is clearly working as a team. The atmosphere is soft, warm and rustic. Try it, you'll love it too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visitwhidbeygirlDined on 10/13/2014We planned a visit here on our way to Southern Oregon, and were not disappointed with the restaurant. We started in the bar, and had an excellent hors d'oeuvres suggested by our waiter with wine. That waiter turned out to be our dinner waiter and continued to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We ordered the sampler and loved all except the main course which just did not seem to be as good as all the other tastes. If we returned, we would just do the happy hour in the bar with nibbles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothingifnotcriticalVIPDined on 10/7/2014They must been having a bad night. It took us 2 hours to get our food... they apologized and gave us a credit but nothing makes up for a ruined evening.
- Not what it used to be.DisappointedDined on 10/4/2014ClarkLewis used to be on my list of places to go in Portland. After this last couple of visits, I was disappointed. This is a beautiful time of year for fresh fruits, but the Heirloom Salad used tasteless tomatoes. Seems to be still catering to its past reputation. Did the chef change?Special Features:
- Go for lunch if weather is lousyelwynDined on 10/2/2014Great food and service, but when it is nice out they open the large windows (good!) and when the trains go by several times an hour you cannot hear each other talk (not so good). It's a noisy space, anyway, and the trains just make it unbearable. So go at night and only in bad weather if you go for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, well-designed menubrainstormingDined on 9/30/2014Delicious, fresh, organic, seasonal food. Converted industrial space with functional and aromatic oak-fired hearth in the open kitchen. Informed staff provides solid advise on local cheese and wines. Innovative bartender.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second VisitGoodglassofwineDined on 9/27/2014First visit was a team dinner for work and had a very good experience. Decided to take my wife for a wedding anniversary based on first experience and my second visit lacked to provide me with a similar feeling. Server was off with good table side manner. Waters weren't refilled without effort. Very few smiles from the service team. Kitchen seemed to be out of sync that night. While food was good it took awhile to arrive. With all the variety of dining in Portland, Clarklewis is going to have to step up its game for me to choose to go back on my dime. It was just OK this time.Special Features:
- Another wonderful dinnerLovejacksonVIPDined on 9/26/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants! Another great evening with wonderful service and fantastic dishes.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014Our service was incredibly slow and we were short on time. We thought we had plenty of time until we had to wait over and hour just to be served our appetizer.
- Great Foid and fun atmospherejericksenDined on 9/19/2014Lots of energy and great food. Couldn't ask for anything more on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best tasting menu format - PortlandTGF58VIPDined on 9/19/2014A few friends and I enjoyed an exceptional evening at clarklewis. We all went in on the tasting menu and not only were the various courses amazing, the format is by far the best deal in Portland! We received three different menu 1tems for each of the 4 courses, so all of us got to sample 12 different items, each with plenty more than 1 bite per person. And you can't beat the price for all that food. The pastas were favorites but every item of every course impressed all of us. I would highly recommend clarklewis to anyoneSpecial Features:
- Yummy!datenightDined on 9/18/2014creative and fresh. I tried (and liked) foods that I thought I didn't like (and I like most things so my list of no foods is short and firm, or so I thought).....great service, great value for the creative and delicious "gourmet" feeling meal. The chef's taster meal was almost too much to eat and a great value. Would certainly go again!Special Features:
- Fabulous findKariDined on 9/16/2014We visited for our first time on our anniversary this week. Our reservation was at 7 and we were early and they were able to seat us. The manager wished us a happy anniversary and then we were greeted by our server with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine! Service was on point,and maybe a little slow at some points. However, we were not in a hurry so it did not bother us at all. We shared an appetizer, each had a salad and an entrée. Portion sizes were appropriate ,though my husband wished for a little larger prion of his ribeye. Dessert was complimentary for our special occasion as well. We were spoiled rotten and will be back! What a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't disappointmcmpdxDined on 9/16/2014While I love the seafood at clarklewis, each time I have their pasta, it is some of the best pasta I have ever had! This week, their fresh pasta was something with crab and again it was superb. This remains one of my favorite restaurants in Portland, particularly when the weather is nice and the front windows/walls are all opened up.Special Features:
- OTfanVIPDined on 9/10/2014Simply outstanding. Terrific food presented beautifully by a top notch staff. Can't beat it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food! Order the tasting menu!TShlaesDined on 9/9/2014Fabulous food! Get the tasting menu and try everything on the menu. Fun to share with a small group. Great service tooSpecial Features:
- Hot evening in PortlandLostlusterVIPDined on 9/6/2014Manager accommodated a move of our group of 8 in a professional manner - too hot on a rare 97 degree day. Food was simply wonderful and inventive. Warm Radicchio salad with parmesan was delicious; every entree was great. Steak person said "best steak of his life". Salmon small portion but lovely too. Love this place. Portland has a zillion restaurants. ClarkLewis is one that has stood test of time by reinventing the menu and keeping food topnotch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very uncomfortableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2014We did not realize that this restaurant is open air and does not use air conditioning (although they apparently have it). Plus they had a roaring fire in the kitchen that is open to the dining area. It was a very warm evening and we remember the heat far more than the food.
- Great food, busy atmosphereNutmegDined on 9/6/2014Great food, great service. Always great seasonal items and presented nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very satisfying dining experiencekaterinaDined on 9/4/2014Great wine list. Consistently flavorful! We hope to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CL11goose19VIPDined on 9/4/2014An old favorite of mine. Esp. during warm days when they have all the garage shutters up but it does increase the noise level from the outside. Food is well presented and prepared. The heirloom tomato salad with just a few shavings of red radish and arugula provided a nice contrast to the sweetness of heirloom tomatoes. Risotto was very good, but the caviatelli pasta was a bit disappointing. Wines by the glass are reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, as alwaysdreadtreadDined on 9/2/2014There's nothing on the menu that will disappoint, and although somewhat limited, the items on the wine list has been carefully selected to pair wonderfully with everything on the menu. While Clarklewis is great for the well-heeled patron, there are also suitable options for a moderately priced meal and a wonderful light dinner can easily be had by combining a few of the appetizers. The atmosphere is geared very much towards adults and only rarely is the noise level distracting, even when seated near the bar. Service is excellent and the knowledgeable staff come ready with suggestions. Farm to fork at its finest! Bon apetit.Special Features:
- ImpressedracerxDined on 8/29/2014Jaded as we may with the Portland dining scene, you have to recognize quality, attention to detail, attention to the ingredients. Attended with 4 business partners from overseas. Ordered the tasting menu, when you have large group, pretty much be ready for everything on the menu. Impressed with the salads and appetizers, it is the peak of the summer season and the heirloom tomatoes where fantastic. Pasta dishes that where plentiful and cooked to perfection, the sauces providing brilliant complement. Main dishes where fantastic. Although I was less impressed with the fish and most impressed with the pork loin. Deserts where all fantastic, again in the peak of summer berry season. All in all a wonderful evening. Masterful service.Special Features:
- Very disappointingpdxdinnerDined on 8/29/2014We had a very mediocre meal on Friday night. The artichokes appetizer was minuscule and the outer leaves had to be thrown away. Of 4 pastas and entrees, none of us was pleased- salmon was tiny, pork was tough, lamb ragu with no lamb. Even the coffee was old. However, the strawberry shortcake was delicious. I could not recommend this restaurant to my friends. It used to be one of Portland's great. What has something happened here?
- ClarklewisportlandfoodtimeDined on 8/29/2014Went here for my birthday and my experience was great! The food was delicious and the staff were attentive and very nice. And they noticed I had a present on the table and brought me out desert for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A First Trip to clarklewisPablo57VIPDined on 8/28/2014We had not been to clarklewis before and for the most part it was a good experience. We thought the menu very well thought out and our server was a total pro. Dinner was uneven at times with the best of it easily very good but then there were disappointments in the appetizers. The room works fine and yet the finish of the materials helped make the noise level energetic at minimum. We were next to a large group of business men who were definitely enjoying themselves, but then that's just bad luck and no knock on the restaurant.Special Features:
- David11217Dined on 8/26/2014The food was absolutely wonderful and the service was excellent. We had only 2 complaints: there is no air conditioning (and it was a VERY hot evening) and the noise level was high. We still liked it a lot and will definitely go back.Special Features: