1001 SE Water Avenue
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.clarklewispdx.com/
- Phone: 5032352294x
- Hours of Operation:
LUNCH: monday thru friday 11.30- 2.00
DINNER: monday thru saturday 5.30- late
HAPPY HOUR: mon thru sat 4.30- 6.30
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kyo Koo
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: The KINDLING ROOM is our intimate and dramatic private room available for up to 24 seated guest for dinner and up to 40 for standing cocktail reception.
A word from clarklewis
A bustling eatery in the central eastside industrial district serving Italian inspired local, organic, seasonal, sustainable fare. clarklewis has received many honors since opening, including restaurant of the year (the Oregonian), 10 most notable new restaurants of 2004 (Wall Street Journal) and 10 hottest new restaurants of the year (msn.com) Dinner reservations are highly recommended, however most evenings we have walk-in availability on a first come first servedContinued
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
basis. Bar counter space is first come first served as well. Online booking available up to a party of 6.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
clarklewis - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
clarklewis reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (44)good for groups (39)romantic (38)notable wine list (27)hot spot (25)great for lunch (24)great for outdoor dining (17)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (13)great for brunch (8)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Jaded as we may with the Portland dining scene, you have to recognize quality, attention to detail, attention to the ingredients. Attended with 4 business partners from overseas. Ordered the tasting menu, when you have large group, pretty much be ready for everything on the menu. Impressed with the salads and appetizers, it is the peak of the summer season and the heirloom tomatoes where fantastic. Pasta dishes that where plentiful and cooked to perfection, the sauces providing brilliant complement. Main dishes where fantastic. Although I was less impressed with the fish and most impressed with the pork loin. Deserts where all fantastic, again in the peak of summer berry season. All in all a wonderful evening. Masterful service.Special Features:
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014We had a very mediocre meal on Friday night. The artichokes appetizer was minuscule and the outer leaves had to be thrown away. Of 4 pastas and entrees, none of us was pleased- salmon was tiny, pork was tough, lamb ragu with no lamb. Even the coffee was old. However, the strawberry shortcake was delicious. I could not recommend this restaurant to my friends. It used to be one of Portland's great. What has something happened here?
- ClarklewisportlandfoodtimeDined on 8/29/2014Went here for my birthday and my experience was great! The food was delicious and the staff were attentive and very nice. And they noticed I had a present on the table and brought me out desert for my birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A First Trip to clarklewisPablo57VIPDined on 8/28/2014We had not been to clarklewis before and for the most part it was a good experience. We thought the menu very well thought out and our server was a total pro. Dinner was uneven at times with the best of it easily very good but then there were disappointments in the appetizers. The room works fine and yet the finish of the materials helped make the noise level energetic at minimum. We were next to a large group of business men who were definitely enjoying themselves, but then that's just bad luck and no knock on the restaurant.Special Features:
- David11217Dined on 8/26/2014The food was absolutely wonderful and the service was excellent. We had only 2 complaints: there is no air conditioning (and it was a VERY hot evening) and the noise level was high. We still liked it a lot and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Open air neighborhood gemSpeedyLHDined on 8/23/2014Loved this restaurant! Elegant but comfortable and casual with the summer breezes wafting through keeping the diners cool despite the warm evening. Menu is locally inspired with so many options and perfectly presented and prepared. The salads are beautiful and delicious, the salmon and albacore perfect! Perfect portions and Service good- will be back! We enjoy trying Portland's restaurants and this is one worth trying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceDontgetaroundmuchDined on 8/23/2014Had a nice meal for our anniversary - we don't get out much, so took a bit of a chance trying this restaurant out. We had the chef's tasting menu, which was very good - and allowed us to try things we most likely would have not chosen on its own. We aren't very adventurous, and were pleasantly surprised at how good the combination of their plates were. Great food, and the service was great as well. Was a bit loud - but to be expected with the open-air setup of the restaurant (train horns, live music from a nearby restaurant, etc.). Seems like they save plenty of tables for walk-ins - there were no opentable reservations between 6-8, but plenty of tables available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland visitorNan22Dined on 8/19/2014We needed a good meal and decided to choose ClarkLewis. Nice variety on the menu, I had the prime rib, spouse had a pork loin. All perfectly done. Great wait staff. All ready recommended to friends and family. A little noisy, but not to the extreme.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food and vibrance!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014The pork belly risotto was outstanding! A regular for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Predictily excellentMrfearlessVIPDined on 8/15/2014We took some young out of town relatives there because the food is always excellent, the service gracious and attentive, and the bar and wine list inventive and expansive. We were not disappointed. The only disappointment, and this is not the restaurant's fault, was the near-deafening noise level, exacerbated by two, very-long freight trains, horns ablazing every 30 second for about 10 minutes long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'm still thinking about my pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014...three days later, and I'm wondering if I can recreate it at home. All of our food was tasty, tempting and well-seasoned. Our server was polite, elegant, and most importantly, attentive without being over-bearing. The reason I went with four stars though, is that my husband had to continually shoo fruit flies away from his wine glass and the noise level. I wish that PDX restaurants wouldn't compete with the loudness of the crowds by cranking their music even louder. The music itself was unoffensive, but it wasn't special; it wasn't something I needed to hear. My companion, however, was someone I wanted to hear.Special Features:
- Just right82pastasDined on 8/12/2014Our family- favorite place for celebrations. The food manages to be interesting yet simple, the flavors of each ingredient coming through - no mélange here. The waiters we've had are professional in the best sense of the word.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!!eatingduoDined on 8/11/2014This is the second time that we have dined here and it was excellent once again. Service, food, drinks , and ambience all make this place a great experience!Special Features:
- Solid go to restaurantJJpdxVIPDined on 8/11/2014I have been going to Clarklewis for years and always enjoy good service and consistently good food. I tend to follow the direction of the staff when selecting food and drink and have never been mislead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!SamAdamsDined on 8/9/2014The food, atmosphere and staff are fantastic! I like the seats that face the street that in good weather are open air.Special Features:
- Loved itwspalsDined on 8/5/2014The food, service and atmosphere was great! Our first time to Portland and this was our favorite spot so far!Special Features:
- A Fun Night in PortlandeatlocalDined on 8/2/2014We really enjoyed ourselves at clarklewis. The staff made us feel welcome and the food was completely awesome.Special Features:
- good place, too hotJeffVIPDined on 8/1/2014Went back to this place to enjoy the wood fired food. The food was quite good, as was the service. But, no air conditioning on a 90+ degree day made our dinner a hot and sweaty affair. Not my idea of a good evening. In all fairness, the staff opened up the roll up doors for good effect to let the breeze help cool us. But either go late or come back on a cooler day.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Medium steak served fleshyPDXfoodieDined on 7/25/2014Our first visit to Clarklewis was superb-so we returned for our anniversary.We ordered the arugula salad which was salted. The tuna pasta we shared was very good - tasted fresh made and the flavors were delicate. Entrees, I ordered lamb with fennel/zucchini. The lamb was flavorless and raw in the center. My husband order the pave steak, medium. The steak arrive tartar or ahi style: seared on the very outer edge, raw and fleshy in the center. When he tried to cut the steak it was sinewy and tough. We don't ever send food back because a) we don't want anyone messing with our food and b) by the time the steak would be cooked, I would have been done with my dinner and he would have eaten alone. They should get it right the first time.Special Features:
- Excellent foodNoNameVIPDined on 7/21/2014Beet and smoked salmon first course was yummy. Loved the tuna. Wine recommendation was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014The food was very creative and good. However, the greeter and server staff did not look very happy, didn't smile at all, and were very aloof. Overall, disappointing compared to previous reviews.
- uh-mazing chef's menu... incredibleDanniDined on 7/16/2014Went this week when friends were all free. Weren't focused on food, just wanted to get together quick and ended up at cl. Decided on chef tasting menu (freakish bargain at $55 for absolutely ever y thing) again not for the food, but bc it was quick and we could get back to catching up fast. Huge surprise in how We got almost every thing on the menu, stuff we'd never order and how fun it was to share. Service was friendly and extra-ish. Only thing kitchen was out of was tartar - my fave. .. and somehow the kitchen yielded one for us. So much food, We took home three boxes. Not snobby, but have every right to be. You wanna treat your folks, Your staff, your out of town pals. .. this is your venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find !!!MmmmmDined on 7/14/2014This restaurant was highly recommended to us while on a tour of Oregon's Pinot country …..it did not disappoint. we all left commenting on how fabulous every dish was.Special Features:
- Disappointingly small tomato saladAaronVIPDined on 7/9/2014I ordered the tomato salad for $11 and it looked like half a salad. Two other people at my table ordered the same thing and we joked that they must have split it into three portions. It was the kind of salad that someone on a serious, serious diet would need to eat but, come on people, tomatoes aren't that expensive right now.
- Wonderful!EnjoyableVIPDined on 7/5/2014Clarklewis never disappoints. My salmon was cooked perfectly and the arugula salad with parmesan cheese was fantastic! I have been coming here 1-2 times a year since they opened and have never had a bad meal. Initially, we ordered the several courses fixed price dinner and always were impressed.Special Features:
- ClarklewisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/30/2014The salmon was delicious, and ur server was very good. My husband asked that his salmon be cooked through and through and it was. I asked for my salmon to bea bit undercooked and it was. Very good overall.Special Features:
- 25 anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Thank you Clarklewis! I made dinner reservations online and mentioned we'd like a nice table because we were celebrating our 25th wedding ann. Our waiter came with a glass of champagne for all of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant eveningMomofDanaDined on 6/25/2014After a hectic day and early evening, it was nice to relax at clarklewis and be served well with good food. Our friends had never been there and enjoyed it very much.Special Features:
- Good food, rather noisy.Mostlyretired1Dined on 6/25/2014With the doors open and many trucks going by, it is hard to converse. However, the food and service were great. Would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good inspite of the street noiseLauraGDined on 6/23/2014This location is very noisy - trains, trucks, etc., but the food combinations are unusual and tasty. Found an unusal wine to have - an Italian cabernet franc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy and slow at lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/23/2014The kitchen and server were overwhelmed with a modest crowd at lunch. Very slow to get food to the table. It is clearly an industrial area with trucks and trains roaring by. Not a great place for a business lunch because of all the noise.Special Features:
- New to us restaurantlvg4foodDined on 6/21/2014Thought we would try clarklewis for dinner, as we have the Passport Card, yet had never been! So glad we did--great steak, excellent "greens" and the card helped make it more affordable. We'd go back. For us very selective diners, that is quite a compliment.Special Features:
- Wish I could eat here every weekKrisKringleVIPDined on 6/16/2014Truly exquisite food in this converted warehouse. Had the bruschetta appie & loved it. Full of flavor & sharing size. We both went for fish - one the salmon and the other the tuna - and each was prepared perfectly. Cooked to perfection, complimented with veggies and sauces/purees that added bursts of compatible flavors. (Mary Brent was on fish this night!) Were able to get a half bottle of the Cristom Pinot Noir we wanted - perfect for the two of us. Desserts were superb too - sorbet for her and carrot cake for me - best I ever had & portions that hit Cinderella Zone - Just Right. Service was impressive. A staff member heard a guest at the table near us drop a spoon and immediately arrived with a replacement - no need to ask!Special Features:
- hmmOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/14/2014used to be a restaurant with a variety of small plates. unhappily, changes to a below average "normal" restaurant
- YummyLeslieBDVIPDined on 6/13/2014Hadn't been in for a while and was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and tasty everything was. The service was good and the food arrived promptly. A nice evening.Special Features:
- Did not receive my 1000 pointscomemosVIPDined on 6/11/2014I dined on June 11, at 5:45, within the time frame for 1000 points. I only received 100 points ( for an overpriced meal)Special Features:
- Great meal - Again!LovejacksonVIPDined on 6/9/2014We have been three times before and this again was one of the best meals to be had in Portland. Great attentive service, fantastic halibut and a bottle of Italian white recommended to us which we had never had before and was fantastic. We will be back again.Special Features:
- LovelyKB12Dined on 6/9/2014What a great place to spend to lunch with parents visiting from out of town. Food was awesome and we loved the smell of the wood stove. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!SamAdamsDined on 6/6/2014The food, service and ambience are wonderful. The salmon with morel mushrooms was perfectly cooked. The cold soup was a great starter. Karen our server was knowledgable, fast and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!karenw0716VIPDined on 6/6/2014Server was very accommodating to my dietary restrictions, and the food was delicious!Special Features: