425 South Coast Highway
Laguna Beach, CA 92651Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.claesovation.com/
- Phone: 9493769283
- Hours of Operation:
Wednesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Hines
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private rooms, each available by advance reservations only. Our private wine cellar can accommodate parties up to 10 people. Our San Clemente Room, which is adjacent to the dining room, can accommodate parties up to 32 people.
- Private Party Contact: Restaurant Manager 9493769283
- Entertainment: Located adjacent to Claes Ovation is the OceanView Bar and Grill. Bartenders will prepare a signature cocktail while the music styling of Fiz permeate the air! Beginning at 8:30pm on Friday and Saturday evenings, Fiz and his band perform covers from the 80’s, 90’s, and today! Fiz also has own line up to include tracks that blend Singer-Songwriter Rock and melodic British Pop. Musically, Fiz has filtered all of his diverse influences growing up into one distinct sound. One can hear the romantic adult contemporary melodies of Elton John, the melodic British pop of The Beatles, the alternative rock of Goo Goo Dolls, and the smooth-as-satin vocals of countless doo-wop and Motown singers. Introducing "Fiz and Friends" on Thursdays at the Oceanview Bar and Grill beginning at 8:00pm!
- Cross Street: Laguna Avenue
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is offered on a first come, first serve basis. Prior to a 5:00 pm arrival, there is a $3.00 charge for the first 2 hours. After a 5:00 pm arrival, a charge of $3.00 is applied for the first 3 hours. Regular rates apply thereafter.
A word from Claes Ovation
Experience a culinary journey complemented by an unrivaled 180-degree view of the majestic Pacific Ocean. Let our Chefs tantalize your palate with one of our signature plates while you celebrate an intimate dining experience with your guests or simply enjoy an extraordinary meal. Featuring California Coastal style food, our creations span culinary delights from the Wine Country with original favorites such as Rabbit, Angus Filet and Bone-In Veal Chop, to the coastal delicacies of Lobster Spring Rolls, Fricassee of Oysters and Local Sea Bass. If you wish to graze upon our small plates, there are selections to suit every distinguished palate. Boasting over 150 choices, Claes Ovation's Wine-Spectator awarded Cellar will undoubtedly include a superb wine to your liking that will pair wonderfully with your dinner selection. Utilizing only the freshest, locally farmed and harvested ingredients, Claes Ovation is the perfect choice to host your next gathering of friends and family.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Claes Ovation reviews from OpenTable diners
- Since the changes at ClaesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2012Since the changes at Claes they haven't worked out the bar service. We had to wait almost a half hour after ordering a martini from our waiter in the main dining room. He said he was in line for the drink orders but the bar was backed up due to the only bar servicing three sections of the restaurant. The service was slow, but the food was good. We were in no hurry, but it was disconcerting to wait for our initial drink while taking in the view.Special Features:
- It was awful! The hostessOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012It was awful! The hostess and all the waiters were frantic, charging everywhere with huge platters of food, racing by our inside table to get outside. They bumped into chairs and people (we changed seats 3 times to try to get away from them and have some peace). The only saving graces were the excellent food and the view. We will never eat inside again which is sad for us. We loved it once! We realize it's about the money, and no longer a great place to go. Sad again.Special Features:
- I have always loved diningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/4/2012I have always loved dining at the Laguna Beach Hotel. We took out of town guests and dined inside for the first time. While our table was great, the service was lacking. There was a new menu that the wait staff did not know much about. The food was good and I believe they will get it together but it was not the experience we had hoped for for our out of town guests.Special Features:
- Poor service, restaurant wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/27/2012Poor service, restaurant was out of a lot of food. Way too expensive.
- No sunset over waterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2012Over the phone they said they have great sunsets, however, when we got there the sun does not set over the ocean and you cannot see it well. Great view of the ocean although you can't hear the waves. Scallops were fantastic!Special Features:
- Claes at Hotel Laguna is Superb!marchefanVIPDined on 7/14/2012We love the outstanding ccean view, excellent service, and good food that we always enjoy at Claes.Special Features:
- The view is spectacular. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2012The view is spectacular. Service was excellent. Skirt steak was okay, filet was wonderful.Special Features:
- Dinner at Claes last Friday.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/7/2012Dinner at Claes last Friday. Overall an enjoyable experience. We made a last minute reservation thru Open Table and were late arriving due to Laguna Beach traffic and parking, but called the restaurant they were happy to save our reservation. The food: Excellent. The Service: Equally excellent. Our waiter, Alfredo was attentive and not intrusive. The noise level and acoustics of the room were the only detractor. Normal conversation across the table was a challenge, but apart from the noisy crowd - a very nice experience. We would go back.
- We love Claes'!!marchefanVIPDined on 6/23/2012We love being able to walk from the village to the spectacular view, thoughtful and friendly service, and delicious dinner. Claes' is a dinner to savor. You will not need to shout across the table to engage in conversation or be cautious not to eat off the plate of the parties seated mere inches to your right and left as in some popular, recently opened LB restaurants. The half lobster addition to a meat dish is great. Don't miss the excellent Claes' house salad with the lightest of dressing, blueberries, and blue cheese.Special Features:
- Don't know if it's kid friendly,karenbDined on 6/17/2012Don't know if it's kid friendly, but this will be our new favorite spot. BEAUTIFUL view and dining area and delicious food. We made this at the last minute and LOVED it. And love Open TableSpecial Features:
- We Love ClaesmarchefanVIPDined on 6/9/2012We appreciate the recognition to Laguna locals for regular return business. Service is almost always excellent. The scallops, lobster tail, and ribeye were well prepared and tasty. The "sardine seating" effect of some new and popular Laguna restaurants where you have to be careful not to eat inadvertently from the adjacent table's plate inches away from yours is not a problem here. Fortunately, the loud soundtrack, loud parties, and intense crowding of some other Laguna restaurants that preclude thoughtful, intelligent conversation is not problematic at Claes. The relaxed, view-oriented atmosphere makes for a lovely dinner.Special Features:
- The veiw is one of the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/2/2012The veiw is one of the best in Laguna Beach. Service and food were great.Special Features:
- Pricey experience!BobJill2VIPDined on 6/1/2012Our only issue is it was TOO EXPENSIVE! We love the view but the table was small for six people. It was a Friday and there were only three parties in the restaurant. Out on the deck, it was crowded and pleasant. We will sit outside next time. We brought our own wine and the dinner was still $400 for six people!!!Special Features:
- Terrific food, atmosphereShellyDined on 5/25/2012Terrific food, atmosphere and service. Had a wonderful time and can highly recommend. Beautiful view.Special Features:
- Sad state of a former great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2012Not as good as I remember, sadly. Especially at the price! They didn't have the Rack of Lamb I ordered, even though we were there first after opening. The second choice was Braised Short Ribs, and it was pretty dry meat. Neither were my wife's Scallops something to write home about. Service wasn't all that swift either. Sorry to lose a good place to go.Special Features:
- We epecially appreciate beingmarchefanVIPDined on 5/19/2012We epecially appreciate being recognized as returning locals. Service and view are excellent, food is good; small plates and variety are thoughtfully done.Special Features:
- We had a great Mothers DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/13/2012We had a great Mothers Day there. Great service, best view, good food. A little disappointed that they took advantage of the occasion--our bill for four for brunch was over $250!Special Features:
- Clae's Ovation & Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Gorgeous View, great food, and courteous service with Steps leading down to the Beach and Ocean!Special Features:
- I thought the food was prettyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/13/2012I thought the food was pretty average brunch food but the view made it worth the while, right on the ocean and gorgeous. The staff was all very good also!Special Features:
- Service was great. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/12/2012Service was great. Food was very good. Nice sunset view.Special Features:
- We so appreciate the attentionmarchefanVIPDined on 5/12/2012We so appreciate the attention that Claes gives Laguna locals!Special Features:
- Standard menu items (beef,OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/6/2012Standard menu items (beef, fish, fowl), but done with care and precision. Excellent dining experience overlooking the Pacific.Special Features:
- Great food with a Fantastic ViewOpiloDined on 4/8/2012Laguna Beach has been blessed with many fine dining establishments in the past several years, so as "Locals" we tend to be critical of the under performers. Claes Ovation has undergone a serious renovation with a new executive chef (Robert Hines) and General Manger for the entire Hotel food operation. The restaurant has two sides: one inside with a fantastic view of Main Beach, and a large patio with a great view of the beach and ocean. The food and service for Easter brunch was very, very good. This place should be on everyone's list for at least one meal while in Laguna Beach if you like a quiet setting with one of the best views in town. We will certainly go again in the near future.Special Features:
- Great veiw of ocean. ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2012Great veiw of ocean. Service was excellent. Food was good but not great. Resturant needs updating. View and service made it a good experience.Special Features:
- We feel we are at home whenmarchefanVIPDined on 4/7/2012We feel we are at home when we have dinner at Claes. The food is good, the view is superb, and the staff is thoughtful and friendly.Special Features:
- Excellent food and exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012Excellent food and exceptional service were only superseded by the full view of the ocean.Special Features:
- liked the food and service.SirPaulofEnglandDined on 3/16/2012liked the food and service. The restaurant is set in an old, slightly run down hotel which doesn't attract enough people for the ambiance to be good.Special Features:
- We frequent here throughoutOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2012We frequent here throughout the year. This time was for my husbands Bday, but I was kind of disappointed with the food. My seabass Was dry, potatoes were dry and not enough veggies. My husbands lamb was outstanding! The music was Asian influanced which didnt fit the ambiance at all. But, you just can't beat the restaurant over all and we will Keep coming back because it's dear to our hearts. Maybe there was a new chief or he didn't bring his A game. Our servers were amazing as usual and you can't beat the wine and drink list. We will be back.Special Features:
- We especially appreciate beingmarchefanVIPDined on 3/10/2012We especially appreciate being recognized as returning customers and locals in a town overrun with tourists.Special Features:
- Not Like It Use To Be......OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2012Took my wife for Valentine's Day dinner. We were seated very quickly let had to literally wait for about 10 minutes just to be approached by our waiter. During this time, we didn't even have water in our glasses. I literally had to go up and ask who our waiter was in order to get service. Claes is not the same as it was 8 years ago. The food was okay but could have been better. Our sea bass was hard and overcooked. The best part of the dinner was actually the dessert, the chocolate crunch. I expected more from this restaurant and wish it was still the same. I will probably not be returning to Claes. Whatever they changed over the past eight years, they should revert back to the old ways. Back then service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- nice place, but food not so muchbusinesstravelerVIPDined on 2/4/2012Food was sub-par for a high-end restaurant. Interesting menu and deserts, but they can do much better. Very nice ocean view, but nothing else stands out. Not necessarily over-priced, but you do expect more from a restaurant in this area.Special Features:
- Better for a burgerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/24/2011Dining room is nice (nicer in the day when you can see the ocean) but so loud that you literally cannot hear one another talk. We opted to eat in the bar which was much quieter but not the ambiance of the restaurant. However, I must say that both the manager and our server were very nice and accommodating. My dining guests enjoyed their respective dinners but I was unimpressed with my tasteless duck wontons and the cold, too sweet dipping sauce along with the bouillabaisse that arrived in a way too salty broth. I think this may be a better place for a burger or salad during the day versus a fancy dinner in the evening.
- Very nice staff and viewOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/3/2011The food was bad, sauces and vegetables were good but the quality of the meat and seafood was poor. The seafood had no flavor and tasted like you defrosted it from a Costco frozen bag. The tomato sauce in the bouillabaisse tastes like water with a teaspoon of tomato! The duck breast was fatty and hard to pull apart, this could not have been quality meat. You will never get return local customers from a meal like this. It was not worth $80 it was worth $30 The wine was average as well. We could have gotten a much better meal for that price.Special Features:
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Everything was great except it took 3 hours from beginning to end.Special Features:
- This is the 3rd year our familyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2011This is the 3rd year our family has dined at Claes for Thanksgiving. This year's menu rocks! From the appetizers to the desert, the combinations of flavors and textures and presentation were a delicious surprise. Congrats to the chef!Special Features:
- Beautiful and delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/19/2011We went to Claes Ovation for our anniversary, had an early reservation time to catch the sunset, and almost had the whole place to ourselves, so they seated us at the premier table. The view was awesome and the food and service was outstanding. I can't imagine a better romantic anniversary dinner for 2!Special Features:
- We hadn't eaten in Claes forAtlazDined on 11/10/2011We hadn't eaten in Claes for 3 years and were surprised and delighted by the lovely changes. The menu is extraordinary, the setting hasn't changed, but the service was superb! We met friends for dinner and hadn't seen them in a year....Claies provided the perfect spot in which to enjoy their company and experience the fine cuisine. Thank you, Carol ZaltaSpecial Features:
- Great location. Horrible foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2011Great location. Horrible food (can't call it cuisine). Attempt was made to provide good service, but they have a long way to go. The place was "dead" on a Friday night between the hours of 7p-9p. Ovations should stick to sports arenas. Hope the hotel and restaurant is sold as soon as possible to someone who understands the art of cooking and service. If it was the only restaurant in the area and I was in need of a meal, I would drive miles before I would put myself thru the experience of dining at Clae's again.
- Not so sure about the newOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/4/2011Not so sure about the new menu. The music was cheesy. The view still is great.
- This is what dining out should be!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/2/2011A wonderful surprise. Alfredo our waiter was very attentive. He had a thorough knowledge of the menu. The chef was excellent. Deffinately fit for foodies. We are definitely going back to experience all the menu choices. This is what dining out should be!Special Features: