343 Old Mammoth Road
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cjsgrillmammoth.com/
- Phone: 7609343077x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch 11am - 3pm
Dinner 4pm - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jason Hoeltzel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Tastes Good To Me Catering offers the same great service and food as CJ"s Grill - but with the flexibility of creating your own menu and location.
We are available for in house events with a private chef, weddings, baby showers, holiday dinners - and much more! Please ask us for a Tastes Good To Me Catering menu, or to set up a menu planning meeting.
- Private Party Facilities: CJ"s dining room can be reserved for private events - perfect for holiday parties, ski groups or weddings. Please ask about our buyout minimums and menu choices.
- Private Party Contact: Carrie Hoeltzel 7609343077x
- Entertainment: In our bar area we offer 3 HD TV"s, great for watching your favorite football, hockey, baseball or basketball game!
A word from CJ's Grill
One of Mammoth Lake"s newest restaurants. CJ's Grill offers new American cuisine with homemade sauces, dressings and desserts. Join us for a great family dinner in our cozy dining room. We strive to bring to Mammoth a warm, welcoming ambiance with a rustic feel - reminiscent of the old Swiss Cafe. We have great craft beers and a California wine menu, with CJ's signature cocktails. Everything at CJ's is made from scratch and in addition, if you are gluten sensitive or have food allergies, you'll find you can safely dine here - and dine well because we know every ingredient in all of our foods. We hope to have you echoing our motto, "Tastes good to me."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
CJ's Grill - Best Restaurants in Mammoth ›
CJ's Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
7 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
kid-friendly (5)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (3)good for groups (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Don't miss the donuts for dessert!PastorTerryDined on 8/8/2014CJ's Grill is a great (fairly) new restaurant in Mammoth Lakes, California. The food is always interesting and fabulous. The drinks are a wonderful blend of flavors. The service is excellent and friendly. All the desserts are great. However, this is the only place I ever eat a doughnut (I never eat a donuts unless it is CJ's) !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expected betterluv2fishDined on 7/2/2014Decor is well-appointed, decor tasteful, facility clean and ambiance very comfortable. Food was OK, not spectacular: tri-tip steak ("The Special") was quite tough--not tender at all. The chicken in my entree salad was dry (day old?). Waitress "Natalie" was friendly, attentive, prompt and courteous. Just don't understand her explanation of how a $22 "Special" had to be rung up with two "$1 Special" surcharges to make it $24. (So why not just say it's $24?) Overall, for the price, the value was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Great new seasonal dishesMammothDinerDined on 7/1/2014Jason, the chef, changes some of his menu each season. His menu reflects his his creativity in a delicious way that makes it a treat to go there. The homemade toffee donuts for dessert are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 60 reviews are from the CJ's Grill reviews archive.
- Pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 3/29/2014We were ISO a kid/adult friendly menu on a Sat night, party of 8. Low expectations going in - pleasantly surprised. Our waitress was the GM and could not have been nicer even with our 4 young kids. Interior is mountain chalet charming, great fireplace, good wine/beer selections - clean restrooms and a changing table with a mobile. Very pleased with our food choices ranging from salads and soup to burgers. The wings were awesome! In contrast, we dined at Chart House two nights prior (completely unprepared for our online OT reservation) and CJs, a block up the road, was *exponentially* better and a much better value. It felt like a neighborhood restaurant where everyone knows your name - we will definitely go back again when in Mammoth.Special Features:
- Let downDisappointmentDined on 3/24/2014Went here off others reviews. Total let down. We were seated at 7 ordered an app and our food a few mins later. They forgot our app, and it took til 8:15 to get our food. Kids pasta was topped with chucks of tomatoes not marinara sauce and the kids side salad was 2 bites! They put it in a side bowl that you would put dressing in. Too small!! Vegi burg was very bland and the fish and chips was average at best. The donuts for dessert were greasy gut bombs! Unfortunately we won't be coming back!Special Features:
- Birthday PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014We had a 40th birthday celebration here with 15 people and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night DinnerJohnDined on 3/8/2014This was our first time, party of 5. Service was good, I had salad, spaghetti and meatballs. The spaghetti sauce had good flavor but the meatballs were hard and dry (overcooked) We had the donut dessert which was over the top fantastic. Everyone at our table liked their meals, my wife had lasagna, loved it but couldn't finish because the portion was too big (a good thing) I wish they had craft cocktails; maybe in the future? We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night!natSDined on 2/21/2014My wife and I went to CJ's after hearing an ad on the local radio station. We made reservations but got there early. They had no problem seating us even with a decent crowd there. The service was excellent and after ordering wine and an appetizer we each ordered one of the specials. They were mahi mahi and a 14 oz. New York steak and both were terrific and cooked perfectly. We enjoyed our evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, family friendlyEatoutoftenDined on 2/19/2014A friend recommended CJ's and we were not disappointed. The service was friendly and the food was delicious! The lamb chops and ratatouille were highlights. Everyone enjoyed the warm pretzel bites to start. The kids were happy with the kids' menu too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud environment, so-so foodalwakehamVIPDined on 2/17/2014We went to CJ's on a Monday evening and were one of just a few occupied tables when we arrived (not crowded at all...). Our reservation was for 6pm, however we did not receive our meal until after 7pm. 20 min. after we ordered I was informed that they were out of buns for my son's hamburger, not quite sure what took so long. Unfortunately the food did not make up for the long wait. My shrimp pasta must have been sitting there for a while as the noodles were all stuck together and were lukewarm at best. Additionally, for a restaurant that was not that crowded it was very very loud. The positive was that my son liked his mac n' cheese and makeshift hamburger. I would not recommend this restaurant and we will not be going back.Special Features:
- good find in mammothbiscuittVIPDined on 2/16/2014the service was great. our waiter was very nice and attentive the food- warm pretzel bites were amazing! ratatouille was delicious my friend loved the mediterranean shrimp drink- nice pinot noir we will be backSpecial Features:
- Great NightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/15/2014Our friends loved the food, and we all had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLAtoMammothDined on 2/15/2014We had a party of 12 and it was a Holiday weekend, the service was slow. We placed Kids orders first, but they were delayed nearly 40 mins before they came out. The Pretzel Bites were a bit "doughy" and undercooked, although the Fried Mozzarella was pretty good. The Dinners were barely OK, but over priced for the quality. The Chicken Marsala was over cooked and rubbery. My Lasanga had a big hard chunk along most of the edge. The best dish was probably the Fish & Chips. Final Recommendation.....Look for other options first.
- great place to eatslopesDined on 2/14/2014We have dined here on several occasions and have never been disappointed. We have also recommended to people coming up and they have enjoyed it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More consistent than the snow!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2014I LOVE coming to CJ's every year when we visit Mammoth. The food quality and selection as well as the helpfulness of the staff and kitchen are way more consistent than the snow conditions on the mountain :-) Carrie and Jason are gems - the portions are hearty, the food is delicious AND (as a Celiac diner) I can always count on a safe meal that is top quality without any compromise. I look forward to coming back every year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food for 14macnjenDined on 2/8/2014Our server worked her fingers to the bone doing multiple jobs. Maybe they were short staffed, but regardless the food was good and the staff friendly. They had room for our party of 14 though the small room makes it quite loud when full. I'd go back.
- CJs for Dinner in MammothJBfromLADined on 2/4/2014CJs has delicious food at very reasonble prices. We have been there several times and I have tried something different every time. I have not been disappointed. A great well rounded wine list and excellent desserts make this a nice place to go for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow service & food was okSanDiegoSkiersDined on 12/29/2013We went to CJ's because of other great reviews on yelp. We had a large group -6 kids & 6 adults. The service staff was very nice, but very slow. We ordered our food to only be told 5-10 minutes later that it would take too long to make the pizza my son ordered and it wouldn't be served with the rest of the meals. Had to change the order. Then one of our friends ordered steak with a baked potato & they came back and said they were out of baked potatoes. We were there over the Christmas break and being a new restaurant, maybe the management hadn't anticipated the large crowds visiting the mountain, but we were disappointed in the length of time it took to get our food (especially with 6 kids) & the changes to our orders we had to make.
- Homemade is just okLaurDined on 12/24/2013CJ's was very busy that night but even though everyone says its all homemade, it was very fair dining. The pretzel bites were undercooked, the flatbread pizza was not tasty. The steak needed seasoning. All in all it is a good effort but the food lacks. Maybe on a less frantic evening it is better. Also it is fun by a nice husband and wife who are very nice but they need more help in the restaurant. The wait for service and drinks is too long.Special Features:
- Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2013My husband and I had a great time at CJ's Grill for Christmas Eve. The staff was fantastic and the food was delicious. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, and informative. We watched her handle a large demanding group (a few tables away) with a smile and she didn't skip a beat despite their rudeness. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommend!MWestDined on 12/19/2013Cozy, delicious food and fantastic service! See you the next time we're in town!Special Features:
- ehnoogVIPDined on 8/28/2013not my favorite, the waitress was very nice though
- A great place to eat.AndyDined on 8/2/2013Really nice meal. "Home made" soup to start followed by a variety of tasty entrees. Friendly service and best meal of the holiday so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekend funHappyeaterDined on 7/20/2013I went to the area to visit my daughter, we went to CJ's for dinner. The service was great, the food came out quick even though they were very crowded. Everything was fresh, nothing tasted cooked ahead. I would defiantly recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly service, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013We appreciated the friendly staff but were disappointed with the food. They were out of trout and suggested the sock eye salmon which I ordered. It was over cooked and very dry They were also out of the steak special and suggested petite sirloin which was ok but not what we expected. The outside of the restaurant has peeling paint and could use some attention. Next time we're in Mammoth, we'll go somewhere else.Special Features:
- Open Table AbuseOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/12/2013This restaurant is a sham and clearly the good rating ion open table is from friends, employees or owners of the restaurant as anyone that has an unbiased opinion would rate their experience as poor.
- CJ's Grill - Worth regular visitsjdinehVIPDined on 6/21/2013The menu doesn't change, but there are a couple of outstanding items-- the Mediterranean shrimp for one--and on the whole the food is reliably good and reasonably priced. Entrees come with soup or salad and a side, which means that one can have a complete meal (sans dessert) with wine or beer for under $30. It's on our regular visit list for Mammoth.Special Features:
- Great LunchPrettyPickyDined on 6/18/2013CJ's is a great local restaurant for visitors and locals alike. The day we were there there happened to be a crying toddler at the next table so it was a bit noisy. The food is great and the staff very friendly and eager to please. Service was a little slow but they were trying hard; they seemed to be a little short-staffed for the noon lunch rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CJ's steps it upOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/28/2013CJ's was located across the street from where we were staying so it was mighty convenient. They took our dinner reservations for a table of nine during a busy spring break 2013. The waiter was super accommodating (and patient) with the four kids we had in tow. The food hit the spot in many ways: not too fancy — but a nice step up from the usual hamburger fare other Mammoth restaurants often offer for the price (I had the rosemary chicken, BTW), a good craft beer selection, and an range of salads beyond the usual iceberg. The atmosphere was warm, but not fussy. The crowd was a combination of out-of-towners on ski holidays and locals out for a meal after work. We'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- Everything about CJ's wasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/8/2013Everything about CJ's was perfect! The food is incredible, and service was spot on. The chef (and I think owner?) even came by just to make sure we were loving our food. Barbeque Chicken Mac n' Cheese....fantastic! Highly recommend to anyone!Special Features:
- Cozy atmosphere, deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2013Cozy atmosphere, delicious food and great service. So glad to find a new restaurant to enjoy when we are in Mammoth.Special Features:
- This is an odd place. It'CuisineCowboyVIPDined on 2/21/2013This is an odd place. It' generic American Grill fare, steaks, chicken, pasta, etc. But with a few Pennsylvania flourishes. For those of you not familiar with the cuisine of that region that means putting french fries on a salad. Not kidding. I actually ate such a thing at a diner outside Altoona PA one dreary day. But that's another story. Anyway, there are french fries on the Pittsburg Salad. There is Amish cole slaw. There are Pittsburg sports memorabilia on the walls in the bar. The food is all pretty good. I just wouldn't return because we were met at the door by a hostess who said abruptly "We're closed" Me: "I have a reservation." "Oh. Hold on." She walked away. Eventually we were seated but is this any way to run the front of house?
- Always love CJ's. BarbecueOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/21/2013Always love CJ's. Barbecue quesadillas and pretzel bites are fantastic appetizers, and always a great steak. Jason is a creative up-and-comer on the Mammoth scene - always a treat to see what he's cooking up next.Special Features:
- The pretzel bites are a must;OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/20/2013The pretzel bites are a must; however, everything else was just average.
- CJ's has great pretzil bites.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/19/2013CJ's has great pretzil bites. Their dressings are all homemade and the blue cheese dressing was amazing. Food was decent and the service was good. Ambiance was not great. We were the only ones in the restaurant as it was 5:30 and were seated in the corner next to the window (weather quite cold out)and were chilly. We asked to be moved next to fire place and were told they had those tables reserved. We were a large party and during our dining experience only one party of two were seated at the tables next to the fireplace. My guess is that our bill was a bit larger than the 2 top.Special Features:
- Didn't measure up for the price!StoveTopDined on 2/17/2013Had rezs thru OT, but had to wait 30+ mins to be seated. Then sent to a booth in the back of bar; better than front since this area adjoins dining room and is more of a thru-fare. Bar does not have much ambience. Did peek in the dining room which seems cozier with a beamed ceiling, fireplace, and nicer windows. A lot of kids and tables in there at this time 8ish.. Service was mediocre and slow, waitress was nice enough, but did not check back with us or ask if everything was ok. Wine was fine, but a very stingy pour especially for price, food fine but nothing remarkable, and way to expensive for what it was. Maybe dining room seating would have improved the experience. Hoped for another great Mammoth eatery, currently this was not it!Special Features:
- We are frequent diners atOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/16/2013We are frequent diners at this wonderful little restaurant - one of the best in Mammoth Lakes. However, on this dining occasion, we chose to dine early, as there were no later reservations available. Our party of 8 was seated off to the side of the pretty fireplace, and we were served drinks. A large party of approximately 16 came in, and were seated at a table of 12 (adults and older kids) and table of 4 (very young children). The small kids had virtually no supervision, which became an issue when one of them fell back, hit his head, and started screaming. This was a very different dining experience than we were expecting, to say the least. Our server apologized, but we were anxious to finish our meal, and be on our way.Special Features:
- I have Celiac Disease andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013I have Celiac Disease and therefore have to eat gluten free. The owners of CJ's make their own sauces and salad dressings, and many of them are gluten free. The owners are knowledgeable about the gluten free diet and hidden sources of gluten. I have always felt confident that my meal is safe and they have taken care to make sure it is. Besides that, the meals are always DELICIOUS!
- Great menuBobSDined on 2/2/2013Really great menu, food, prices, and service. Fantastic cheese fondue, as well as a broad selection overall. Great job Carrie & Jason.Special Features:
- Everything is moderate, nofoodiewinoDined on 1/27/2013Everything is moderate, no super food, no super price either.Special Features: