1330 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cityzenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027876006x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Ziebold
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Enjoy our 6-course tasting menu at $120 per person (also available with a vegetarian option at $110 per person). We also offer a semi-private room that can accommodate up to twenty two guests.
A word from CityZen
Eric Ziebold was voted in Food & Wine magazine as one of ‘America’s Best New Chef’s’ and the restaurant one of the ‘Hottest Restaurants in the World’. On arrival, relax in the restaurant’s lounge and choose from a signature martini or champagne cocktail. The restaurant’s 20-foot high ceiling offers you a better view of the activity in the open kitchen, while the style and décor still provide an intimate setting. Eric’s menu changes monthly depending on the availability of the freshest ingredients. He and his team create multi-course tasting menus while our expert Sommelier advises on wine selections from the award winning wine list.Continued
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
CityZen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
CityZen reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)fit for foodies (83)romantic (64)notable wine list (50)hot spot (8)late-night find (5)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)good for groups (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- barmikeVIPDined on 8/23/2014This continues to be the BEST RESTAURANT in Washington DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall experience everCHKHVIPDined on 8/23/2014Beyond the out of this world food and presentation, beyond the exquisite service, it was the attention to detail that impressed me. We were there for my wife's 40th and the staff found several ways to make it a classy and special event. A truly once in a life experience that my wife will treasure for many years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than lives up to the hypethomasthechanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Top shelf food with first class service. My wife and I could not have enjoyed our evening here more. Our server, Nicole, was warm, personable, and knowledgable. Both our chef's 6-course and a 4-course a la carte meals were nothing short of remarkable. We hope to dine here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an occasionRicinVaDined on 8/16/2014Terrific spot for girlfriend's birthday. Went the four course route. Tried different things. The veal tongue ravioli was amazing - glad I was open to it. We shared everything including the duck for two - perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Exceptional servicehickabillyDined on 8/15/2014The service is exceptional and the dinner is as good as it gets. On Birthdays we go to one of the top 10 from the Washingtonian and this one did not disappoint. I don't know how you can compare the top 5 and arrange them. Service was as good as the Inn at Little Washington and the dinner was as good as Komi. The only ding that I could come up with was that one of the guests had an extreme food allergy to seafood which was conveyed at time of reservation and throughout the meal. Yet the first two courses of the Chef's vegetarian menu were fried in oil that had been used for fish. The guest was sensitive to this problem and questioned the meal and it was replaced with something grilled. The restaurant apologized profusely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food; Fabulous ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014CityZen is everything that fine dining should be--wonderful food with the freshest ingredients, perfect but not unlimited or overwhelming wine pairings, amazing customer service (especially for those of us with food allergies), and the best staff anywhere (they are incredibly professional, and completely unobtrusive). This was one of the best dining experiences I have had anywhere in the world.Special Features:
- Romance and fine dinningDCDentistDined on 8/13/2014Always an amazing experience. Citizen provides the experience other restaurants strive forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMaddogVIPDined on 8/13/2014A great spot for a relaxing dinner. Pre fixe menu but very flexible. Great cheese course with ample portions. Good service attuned t o your needs.Special Features:
- Like ClockworkloggerheadDined on 8/9/2014Everything from the greeting at the front, to seating, to ordering cocktails, dinner, wine, and each course was done with alacrity and smoothness. Questions were answered immediately, opinions given in no time, and there was never a moment I thought anything other than what was happening was needed. And the food? I am not sure it is the same stuff I buy at the grocery store. Where does all that flavor come from?Special Features:
- A magical eveningMeredithVIPDined on 8/9/2014Everything about our dinner at CityZen was exquisite--from Eric Ziebod's inspired cuisine to the superb service. The prime rib was especially amazing--I have never tasted meat as delicious.Special Features:
- Great food. Nice service.ExpecthebestDined on 8/8/2014Wine is very expensive. Not sure why sommelier did not visit us after I asked whether there was one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent high qualitybbrockvaDined on 8/7/2014We went here for a birthday, which we do once or twice a year. The food is always consistently flavorful and carefully prepared. They also listen to the customers' preferences, such as cooking duck medium instead of medium rare. Crab tempura was a very good version of soft shell crab, which I don't even normally like that much but decided to try it, and it far exceeded my expectations. Recommended. They also allowed a substitution from the tasting menu in the regular menu. Timing of food and wine appearance at the table was spot on. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable visitGraybillVIPDined on 8/1/2014Have celebrated several special occasions at CityZen, and have always found it to be excellent. The service is excellent and the food is great.Special Features:
- Quite goodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/1/2014Second trip here - first time was seven years ago with the tasting menu. Opted to pick this time and was very pleased. A blowout pricewise, especially with their winelist markups, but worth a splurge. Next time will be at the bar. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but not out of this worldArnepDCVIPDined on 7/30/2014To celebrate my birthday, my wife and I dined at CityZen, which came highly recommended. I had the six course tasting menu and vintage wine pairings, while my wife ordered selected dishes off the 4 course menu and chose her own wines by the glass. Overall, I would recommend the approach taken by my wife. I thought only 3 of the 6 courses in the tasting menu were outstanding (soft boiled hen egg, foie gras, crispy black bass), while the other 3 (lobster consommé, pan roasted lamb and the root beer float dessert) were unexceptional. I also found the wine pairings strange and would have preferred to order from the wine list myself. Bottom line: I would recommend the restaurant, but not the 6 course tasting menu or the paired wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met Expectationsoccasional1splurgeDined on 7/29/2014Cityzen met our expectations for fine dining on our anniversary (2014). The service is excellent, with each dish and wine pairing being described when served and everything very neat, orderly, and fast. The food is unique and some of it is very tasty. If you know this place, the menu changes constantly though, so some of the dishes you will have are not as great as others. It is very much like a "top chef" judging experience where you get some new dish and get to decide what you and your date think about it. The restaurant is very clean and nice, and the kitchen is large, open, and very clean. The price is expensive, but it is on par with other restaurants in the area that are of the same atmosphere and caliber of food. We enjoyed itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was Awesome!!!AwesomeDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed every morsel! I can't say enough how delightful each bite was and the service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgtNamesIUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here before and it hasn't changed much. The portions are small but I prefer that. A lot of people would complian. My issue is that the food is just too "fussy". They'll start with a good concept but just keep adding ingredients until you really don't know what you're eating. It's too dark to see what you're eating. Noise level is high. Just not real pleasant when considering the price you pay. I wouldn't go again unless staying at the hotel as I was doing on this night.
- Fantastic!PattyDined on 7/25/2014Me and two colleagues ate dinner last friday night, great ambience, amazing food, high quality wines and great service. It's my second visit to CityZen and I would return over and over again. We had the tasting menu, every dish and it's wine pairing was worthy to remember!Special Features:
- Great everythingpapawuuDined on 7/19/2014First time touring the DC area and wow this was a highlight. 2 of us ordered the chef's tasting menu which was awesome, especially the cucumber crab and foie gras dishes. Everything from the moment walking in till we left was perfect. Service was impeccable, food amazing and ambience awesome.Special Features:
- So glad I finally got a reservationYumYumVIPDined on 7/18/2014Attentive service. Inventive cocktails. Delicious food presented with style. Set aside 2.5 hrs for this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great experienceTheAdventuringOneDined on 7/16/2014CityZen came as a recommendation. I was not disappointed in the least. What an experience. If you're a foodie, you need to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City Zen! 1 word "Amazing"!dinner4twoDined on 7/12/2014Amazing dinner. 5 stars all the way around. Definitely a Romantic setting. Or for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Master SommelierDCdinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The highlight of CityZen is definitely Master Sommelier Andrew Myers and his wine list. Food compares well to prior visits but unfortunately service is no longer the same quality, at least on this summer Saturday evening. The kitchen runners were out of sync with the wait staff and the pace of the meal at the table. Courses rushed out of the kitchen before diners could clear their pallets and before Master Myers selections could be served. Service improved once we spoke up, but never reached the excellence of prior evenings.
- Overrated; Not Worth the TripKatrinaVIPDined on 7/12/2014Dinner for four (two six-course tasting menus, one vegetarian tasting menu, and one four-course tasting menu) was just OK. Food ranged from OK to good--unacceptable for a restaurant of this caliber. None of the dishes was remarkable, memorable, or even that enjoyable. Vegetarian tasting menu and four-course tasting menu was better received, but no one was raving about the food. Felt like Eric Ziebold was trying too hard. Had better tasting menus at Marcel's and Corduroy. Wine pairing was very good. Best part of the meal was the bread that came with it.Special Features:
- Not Quite GreatDCDinerDined on 7/9/2014The service was phenomenal and the food was generally good. I ordered baked mussels, sea scallops, duck breast and panna cotta as part of the four course menu. I could only describe these a "good"--not great. I was disappointed that the flavors fell flat. I may go back, but overall the price is too high for the composition of the flavors.Special Features:
- Best in DC!NathanJamesBishopDined on 7/5/2014This restaurant has the food and the vibe that if you're looking to have a good time with your friends, while enjoying great food and service...this is it!Special Features:
- MarylandGrackleDined on 7/2/2014We had the vegetarian tasting menu. Nearly all the dishes were fantastic and very interesting. One was too salty.Special Features:
- You must go...OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/2/2014If you have not been to CityZen, you must go. It is an experience you will always cherish. I am a golfer and this is the Augusta National of Washington restaurants. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SublimeTrancendsDined on 7/2/2014If your looking for that overall food experience, somewhere that food is is transformed to art in its presentation and taste than this is the place. The sommelier (actually certified not some poser) will pick wines that are perfectly paired and are wines that you cannot find. It is relaxed and not pretentious and basically just friendly. City zen, if you read this thank youSpecial Features:
- Dining at CityzenGoyard14Dined on 6/28/2014The restaurant is opulent.Unfortunately the service hindered the dining experience.The food was impeccable.To end the night,when the valet brought the vehicle to me, he didn't open the door for the lady until ask to.Needless to say this wasn't the truly exceptional experience I expected.Until the service at the CityZen and The Mandarin Oriental is perfected it will always remain 4 Stars not 5 Stars. Definitely not the Louis XV at the Hotel de Paris in Monaco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Has something changed?BDWdcVIPDined on 6/27/2014We have had the pleasure of dining at CityZen at least 4-5 times previously, always amazing. This past experience on Saturday night was a miss. We were seated promptly and waited several minutes before acknowledged, the waiter asked us if we had ever dined there before (in the past we were welcomed back), the wine was poured for me to taste while the waiter was going over menu, courses were brought haphazardly and two of them were not tasty at all. The dining room felt under staffed and a bit chaotic. Sadly, we were hosting a friend for a wonderful dinner (which we dressed black tie for) and left underwhelmed. Sadly, we will be checking this off our list and head back to other fine DC establishments for fine dining.
- Best in DCMarkVIPDined on 6/27/2014I visit DC often (from the Midwest) and have been going to CityZen since it opened 9 years ago. Been to a lot if the greats in DC and this is the best. My wife and I brought my two daughters this time (11 and 20). The staff took great care of the girls and, as always, went the extra mile to make this a very special experience for them. Incredible food (had the Chef's Tasting Menu - awesome!), great service and incredibly inspired wine pairings from Master Sommelier Andy Myers (congrats Andy). Eric Ziebold has created an extremely unique establishment that gets better and better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perhaps the best in DCrrschrumjrDined on 6/26/2014CityZen may be the best restaurant in DC. The food is out of this world, the service could scarcely be better, the wine pairings are tremendous. It's expensive, but save your pennies, and go once in your lifetime. It's on par with the French Laundry and its ilk. I can't wait to return someday.Special Features:
- Meant for true "foodies"winnetkamomDined on 6/24/2014We celebrated our anniversary dinner at CityZen this past week. We had a great experience, that was made interesting by how we ordered. He went with the four course pre fix menu and I did the six course tasting menu. What we learned was that true tasting menus are meant for true foodies. His four course menu would have been much more my speed, and that is what I will go with in the future. We had a great experience, but I suppose I realized in the process that I am not a true foodie - the dishes were slightly too daring for my taste!Special Features:
- Ten Years StrongOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014First experience here was to celebrate my daughter's college graduation 10 yrs ago.It was so memorable that this was the spot I chose to celebrate my BF's special birthday-the ultimate go-to for a very special occasion.There's a reason Eric Ziebold continues to be one of DC's finest and classiest chefs - he knows what he's doing in his kitchen! Each diner in our group chose the four course option.Every dish well executed, inventive and tasty.The chef "surprises" chef throughout the evening were sumptuous.CityZen has mastered making a special occasion even more special-complimentary after-dinner birthday glass of muscat served to everyone at the table was particularly delightful!Only disappointment-timing of courses was a little too fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinnerdatenightVIPDined on 6/20/2014The food was fantastic (except for the quail- FYI it is NOT like chicken- very greasy and fatty). The cod was out if this world. It simply melted in my mouth. The wine was also incredible. They made great effort for my husbands birthday:) lovely evening out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maintaining excellenceDCDinerVIPDined on 6/20/2014This was my second time dining at CityZen, the first was nearly 6 years ago. I'm still blown away by the food and service the staff provides. The fact that they don't require everyone in a group to order the tasting menu if one person would like to try it is really fantastic. My sister and I went to celebrate her master's degree and my birthday - we each ordered different tasting menus and wine pairings, so I was able to sample 12 dishes instead of six. All were excellent. Service is attentive without being overbearing or pretentious. I need another occasion to return to celebrate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Dining ExperienceBella714Dined on 6/20/2014A little pricey but worth the treat. So glad I booked it for my trip to DC. Top notch service from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded every expectationOutstandingDined on 6/13/2014My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our six course tasting menu (actually ten courses with cheese and three bonus courses) with pairings (his with vintage, mine with regular). The food was spectacular and the wine/beverages were well paired. The service was an absolute highlight. The meal was paced spectacularly and we felt special without it being obnoxious or obvious. I would recommend to anyone except the truely budget restricted. We thought it was worth every penny. The Lamb Carbonara is the best dish both of us has ever eaten and the rhubarb sorbet was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.