1330 Maryland Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20024Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.cityzenrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2027876006x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Eric Ziebold
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Enjoy our 6-course tasting menu at $120 per person (also available with a vegetarian option at $110 per person). We also offer a semi-private room that can accommodate up to twenty two guests.
A word from CityZen
Eric Ziebold was voted in Food & Wine magazine as one of ‘America’s Best New Chef’s’ and the restaurant one of the ‘Hottest Restaurants in the World’. On arrival, relax in the restaurant’s lounge and choose from a signature martini or champagne cocktail. The restaurant’s 20-foot high ceiling offers you a better view of the activity in the open kitchen, while the style and décor still provide an intimate setting. Eric’s menu changes monthly depending on the availability of the freshest ingredients. He and his team create multi-course tasting menus while our expert Sommelier advises on wine selections from the award winning wine list.Continued
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Located at the sophisticated Mandarin Oriental, CityZen creates the ideal atmosphere to celebrate, congratulate or just indulge in the fine culinary journey.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
CityZen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
CityZen reviews from OpenTable diners
104 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (87)fit for foodies (76)romantic (61)notable wine list (46)hot spot (13)good for groups (6)neighborhood gem (6)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Go before they close in Dec!LuvgoodfoodDined on 10/25/2014Each of the four of us ordered different things and we shared tastes of everything. Almost everything was creative and delicious on many levels. Surprisingly, the vegetarian tasting had some of the best dishes of the night. Service was excellent, courses were served to each of us at the same time and each was described quickly, wine pairing was served before the course arrived, and empties were whisked away without feeling like we were hovered over. It's very expensive, but if you enjoy tasting lots of different items, it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the $$$$.M1973VIPDined on 10/24/2014Wine list good but by the by bottle markup is ridiculous; our food was salty (across the board on all main courses); desserts good but not spectacular. Not a "top ten" worthy restaurant; not worth the $1000.00 tab my party of four shelled out.Special Features:
- wonderful foodJaneLongDined on 10/23/2014Many new dishes. We had great evening with excellent 6 course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing deserts!LovemyveggiesVIPDined on 10/17/2014I had mixed emotions here. The ambiance and the service were great, but I felt my meal was just OK. As a vegetarian, I was excited to see a tasting menu devoted to me, but it wasn't nearly as bountiful as my boyfriend's meat tasting menu. I think one of the courses just had a piece of celery when he got a large portion of duck and pork and then my main course was 3 pieces of pumpkin while he got a steak. About halfway through, I had to ask for more bread as I wasn't sure I'd be full. I do want to mention that I had the fudgsicle for desert, and that was one of the best deserts I've ever had! Overall, I gave 4 stars because we had a great night - I just felt a bit disappointed with the vegetarian menuSpecial Features:
- Once again greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014Have been there several times. We always try to visit when DC, although hard to get a reservation. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Second visit, not the sameRolstoDined on 10/9/2014Still a fabulous meal and great service, but while my first visit ranked as a 5-star experience, a combination of great (but not extraordinary) staff interaction and creative, appealing dishes (but not mind blowing) takes it down a notch. My guest felt the same. I dont normally visit restaurants twice, i like to try new venues. Not CityZen because of visit #1. Number two left me flat with a massive, but expected, bill.Special Features:
- Great food while respecting timeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/8/2014We arrived and said we had to be on a car to Dulles in 90 mins. Great service great food yet we did not feel rushed or that anyone was put outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing nightoel55Dined on 10/4/2014My husband and I came here for our 1 year anniversary and it was definitely a night to remember. It's a great atmosphere that is inviting, relaxing, and makes you feel like you in for an experience. And the service was some of the best I've ever experienced, they were very professional and made you feel like you were at a high end restaurant, but they were still able to laugh and allow you to enjoy your time. Our waiter was patient and explained the menu options to us and made suggestions when we asked for them. Everyone we encountered had a smile on their face. The staff even signed a card wishing us an enjoyable anniversary. But the food! Amazing doesn't begin to explain it! Each course was better than the next! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/3/2014Not worth the price. The food was bland, and extremely disappointing. They do a good job of distracting patrons with the numerous boxes of bread and other seemingly fancy intermediary dishes. All of that takes away from the overall mediocrity of the main entrees. The bar menu is also sparse at best and the servers are not able to recommend any drink pairing with food order (our $300 dollar dinner for two did not warrant a visit from the sommelier, assuming they actually have one) . For a $300 dinner (for two) there are numerous better options in DC for a small fraction of the price. CityZen is an overpriced tourist trap that should be avoided.
- Birthday dinner was above averageOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/2/2014So this was a birthday celebration for my mom but, rather an opportunity to get back to see what had changed since the last time I went to CityZen years ago. Service was pretty spot on in just about every way. Had a great bottle of wine recommended by the sommelier. Food was definitely above average for your standard "fine dining" experience which is exactly what you would expect from a high dollar evening. I personally am a chef and look forward to evenings such as this probably more than those that we are celebrating for. And maybe that is why I have higher expectations than they do as well. But for a group who was raised near the "inn at little Washington" we felt like they weren't quite on that level. Still spectacular however!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousfallschurchmomDined on 9/27/2014Food was amazing; service impeccable. This was my first visit and I sincerely hope to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly deliciousHappy2dineVIPDined on 9/27/2014We have been to CityZen many times but this last time was the best ever, and may have been the best meal we have had anywhere! The Chef out did himself, the menu was creative with dishes you can't find anywhere else and every bite was perfect. The service was impeccable as always. It was an incredibly special evening, memorable, and best of all amazingly delicious! We were thrilled with our dining experience and truly grateful to all the staff for such a special night. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Restaurant but...ensonDined on 9/26/2014I had a good meal but I just wasn't thrilled about it. Ambiance was really nice and service was absolutely fantastic (couldn't have been happier about that), but our meal was just ok. Maybe it's not fair to say but I came ready to be impressed by the food and left thinking it was just OK. Again, I can't stress enough that the service was really spectacular. It was a special occasion for us and CityZen really treated us very well.Special Features:
- Exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014Exceptional service! It was our anniversary and the restuarant went well out of its way to make it special!Special Features:
- One TimetomcDined on 9/20/2014Chose the tasting menu and splurged for the vintage wine pairing and the optional cheese course. First few courses were good, but nothing to remember. The Foie Gras Course was superb. The second best course after the foie one was a substitution they made for me (I got the sweetbreads instead of the lamb that was on the tasting menu). Sweetbreads were superb. My wife had the lamb. Not great. Super hard to cut... (and we noticed both of the couples seated quite close to us in bistro-style seating were having a hard time cutting it as well). We also had to wait 25 minutes for our cheese course because they only have one cheese trolley and too many people ordered cheese ahead of us... Just expected more for $350/head.Special Features:
- OverratedBO64Dined on 9/20/2014Allegedly one of the best table in DC ? Come again. Food was mediocre at best, and definitely zero "waow" factor. 3 out of the 5 main dishes were bland. Lamb had to be sent back as uncooked. Bottom line, trendy but definitely not a place for true food aficionados...Special Features:
- Uneven eveningExnewyorkerVIPDined on 9/19/2014Returned after three years and noticed several things: the room is as elegant as before with soaring ceilings; lighting is subdued and pleasant; the food, however, was not up to old level and far too salty - all courses, all diners commented; the attention of servers was uneven; menu is overly complicated with no flexibility: cheese, offered at a premium, is not a substitute for the mandatory dessert course so if you don't want sweets you pay twice; and wine list extremely expensive.
- Average in its classVinorskDined on 9/16/2014We've dined at CityZen three times and while it has always been good, something has always been missing. The good isn't quite as creative as you would expect, the service isn't quite as crisp, and the atmosphere isn't quite as warm. The team approach to service is distracting and leads to gaps in service. Food arrives in advance of its wine pairing and not every server is knowledgeable about the food or wine. Citronell was the best in this class locally and every time I eat at Cityzen I leave saying 'I miss Citronell'. These days, for the money I think Komi is a better meal and experience.Special Features:
- barmikeVIPDined on 8/23/2014This continues to be the BEST RESTAURANT in Washington DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best overall experience everCHKHVIPDined on 8/23/2014Beyond the out of this world food and presentation, beyond the exquisite service, it was the attention to detail that impressed me. We were there for my wife's 40th and the staff found several ways to make it a classy and special event. A truly once in a life experience that my wife will treasure for many years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More than lives up to the hypethomasthechanVIPDined on 8/22/2014Top shelf food with first class service. My wife and I could not have enjoyed our evening here more. Our server, Nicole, was warm, personable, and knowledgable. Both our chef's 6-course and a 4-course a la carte meals were nothing short of remarkable. We hope to dine here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for an occasionRicinVaDined on 8/16/2014Terrific spot for girlfriend's birthday. Went the four course route. Tried different things. The veal tongue ravioli was amazing - glad I was open to it. We shared everything including the duck for two - perfectly cooked.Special Features:
- Exceptional servicehickabillyDined on 8/15/2014The service is exceptional and the dinner is as good as it gets. On Birthdays we go to one of the top 10 from the Washingtonian and this one did not disappoint. I don't know how you can compare the top 5 and arrange them. Service was as good as the Inn at Little Washington and the dinner was as good as Komi. The only ding that I could come up with was that one of the guests had an extreme food allergy to seafood which was conveyed at time of reservation and throughout the meal. Yet the first two courses of the Chef's vegetarian menu were fried in oil that had been used for fish. The guest was sensitive to this problem and questioned the meal and it was replaced with something grilled. The restaurant apologized profusely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food; Fabulous ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014CityZen is everything that fine dining should be--wonderful food with the freshest ingredients, perfect but not unlimited or overwhelming wine pairings, amazing customer service (especially for those of us with food allergies), and the best staff anywhere (they are incredibly professional, and completely unobtrusive). This was one of the best dining experiences I have had anywhere in the world.Special Features:
- Romance and fine dinningDCDentistDined on 8/13/2014Always an amazing experience. Citizen provides the experience other restaurants strive forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentMaddogVIPDined on 8/13/2014A great spot for a relaxing dinner. Pre fixe menu but very flexible. Great cheese course with ample portions. Good service attuned t o your needs.Special Features:
- Like ClockworkloggerheadDined on 8/9/2014Everything from the greeting at the front, to seating, to ordering cocktails, dinner, wine, and each course was done with alacrity and smoothness. Questions were answered immediately, opinions given in no time, and there was never a moment I thought anything other than what was happening was needed. And the food? I am not sure it is the same stuff I buy at the grocery store. Where does all that flavor come from?Special Features:
- A magical eveningMeredithVIPDined on 8/9/2014Everything about our dinner at CityZen was exquisite--from Eric Ziebod's inspired cuisine to the superb service. The prime rib was especially amazing--I have never tasted meat as delicious.Special Features:
- Great food. Nice service.ExpecthebestDined on 8/8/2014Wine is very expensive. Not sure why sommelier did not visit us after I asked whether there was one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent high qualitybbrockvaDined on 8/7/2014We went here for a birthday, which we do once or twice a year. The food is always consistently flavorful and carefully prepared. They also listen to the customers' preferences, such as cooking duck medium instead of medium rare. Crab tempura was a very good version of soft shell crab, which I don't even normally like that much but decided to try it, and it far exceeded my expectations. Recommended. They also allowed a substitution from the tasting menu in the regular menu. Timing of food and wine appearance at the table was spot on. Very enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable visitGraybillVIPDined on 8/1/2014Have celebrated several special occasions at CityZen, and have always found it to be excellent. The service is excellent and the food is great.Special Features:
- Quite goodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 8/1/2014Second trip here - first time was seven years ago with the tasting menu. Opted to pick this time and was very pleased. A blowout pricewise, especially with their winelist markups, but worth a splurge. Next time will be at the bar. :)I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, but not out of this worldArnepDCVIPDined on 7/30/2014To celebrate my birthday, my wife and I dined at CityZen, which came highly recommended. I had the six course tasting menu and vintage wine pairings, while my wife ordered selected dishes off the 4 course menu and chose her own wines by the glass. Overall, I would recommend the approach taken by my wife. I thought only 3 of the 6 courses in the tasting menu were outstanding (soft boiled hen egg, foie gras, crispy black bass), while the other 3 (lobster consommé, pan roasted lamb and the root beer float dessert) were unexceptional. I also found the wine pairings strange and would have preferred to order from the wine list myself. Bottom line: I would recommend the restaurant, but not the 6 course tasting menu or the paired wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met Expectationsoccasional1splurgeDined on 7/29/2014Cityzen met our expectations for fine dining on our anniversary (2014). The service is excellent, with each dish and wine pairing being described when served and everything very neat, orderly, and fast. The food is unique and some of it is very tasty. If you know this place, the menu changes constantly though, so some of the dishes you will have are not as great as others. It is very much like a "top chef" judging experience where you get some new dish and get to decide what you and your date think about it. The restaurant is very clean and nice, and the kitchen is large, open, and very clean. The price is expensive, but it is on par with other restaurants in the area that are of the same atmosphere and caliber of food. We enjoyed itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was Awesome!!!AwesomeVIPDined on 7/29/2014We enjoyed every morsel! I can't say enough how delightful each bite was and the service impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ForgtNamesIUsedForgtNamesIUsedVIPDined on 7/26/2014We've eaten here before and it hasn't changed much. The portions are small but I prefer that. A lot of people would complian. My issue is that the food is just too "fussy". They'll start with a good concept but just keep adding ingredients until you really don't know what you're eating. It's too dark to see what you're eating. Noise level is high. Just not real pleasant when considering the price you pay. I wouldn't go again unless staying at the hotel as I was doing on this night.
- Fantastic!PattyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Me and two colleagues ate dinner last friday night, great ambience, amazing food, high quality wines and great service. It's my second visit to CityZen and I would return over and over again. We had the tasting menu, every dish and it's wine pairing was worthy to remember!Special Features:
- Great everythingpapawuuDined on 7/19/2014First time touring the DC area and wow this was a highlight. 2 of us ordered the chef's tasting menu which was awesome, especially the cucumber crab and foie gras dishes. Everything from the moment walking in till we left was perfect. Service was impeccable, food amazing and ambience awesome.Special Features:
- So glad I finally got a reservationYumYumVIPDined on 7/18/2014Attentive service. Inventive cocktails. Delicious food presented with style. Set aside 2.5 hrs for this dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, great experienceTheAdventuringOneDined on 7/16/2014CityZen came as a recommendation. I was not disappointed in the least. What an experience. If you're a foodie, you need to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.