2020 Calamos Court
Naperville, IL 60563Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citygategrille.com/
- Phone: 6307181010x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner: Friday 4:00pm - 12:00am
Dinner: Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: George Engel
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Available
- Entertainment: Live music on Friday & Saturday nights.
- Special Events: Our stunning location features event rooms that hold from 12-250 guest for a seated occasion or for a cocktail/ hors d'oeuvre party.
A word from CityGate Grille
At CityGate Grille, you can enjoy Mediterranean influenced cuisine, perfectly paired with your choice of one of our many incredible wines or specialty drinks. Satisfaction has never had such style.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
CityGate Grille - Best Restaurants in Naperville ›
CityGate Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)romantic (26)fit for foodies (20)good for groups (18)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (14)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (11)neighborhood gem (10)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- A surprise findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Had never heard of this restaurant before, but found it searching online. Beautiful modern, décor. The food and wine were amazing! Also has a beautiful banquet room downstairs. Everyone we had an interaction with was so helpful. Our waitress Brittany was awesome! Definitely a great place to go for a special occasion. We were celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently ExcellentRogerDined on 8/30/2014We were not disappointed - this is our new neighborhood favorite. Our (repeat) waiter CHRIS was outstanding - courteous, professional, patient, and polite - everything you could ask for. Dined with our son this time - men had steaks - my wife had their special of the night - the crab-meat stuffed salmon. She absolutely loved it. New discovery for us this visit - the Blue Cheese Chips (appetizer) was a great flavor and taste to start the casual evening. We will continue dining here regularly.Special Features:
- Couldn't have been worseSusanDined on 8/29/2014Not sure where to start...the server who asked how we'd like the scallops cooked? She told us an appetizer had six pieces, when it arrived after our salads, but about 2 minutes before our entrees, which was about 1 hour 15 minutes after we arrived, and it only had two pieces?? The multitude of plates that sat on our table while the bus boy was busy clearing plates from tables where people had already left? The wrong cocktail being brought out, and my husband had to go to the bar to get another because the server was AWOL? The band who began in two thirds empty restaurant that was so loud you couldn't hear others at the table talking? Not sure what they're thinking, but this was perhaps the worst experience we've had in ages.
- Never disappointsAK47Dined on 8/27/2014I took a friend to City Gate who had never been there before. Her verdict? "Once again, you picked a winner! You always know the best places to go. I am so glad you suggested this. I will definitely tell more people about it. I never knew this was here" "Nuf said. This place rocks.Special Features:
- MarleyDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent. Service was slow. We waited 15-20 minutes for a drink. We found out the waitress was new after talking to the manager. The management was very responsive and comped us a round of drinks and dessert. We would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable evening!AUGBDAYSDined on 8/16/2014We had wonderful waiters, both in the bar and in the restaurant. Very pleasant guys, with a good sense of humor. We were there for our August birthdays and were treated very special. We also went there last year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this hidden gem!AK47Dined on 8/14/2014I had yet another great dinner at the City Gate Grille. Kirsten, our server, was a delight. The food, as always, was fantastic. Love the roasted garlic and accompanying bread/crackers they give you free to start. Although the construction on Rt 59 is a bit inconvenient, it is well worth getting past it to find this place. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time a great time!CityHoppinDined on 8/14/2014Thanks to the attentive staff and fantastic chefs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bit overpriced but great food :]QtpiDined on 8/11/2014Very beautiful scenery, splendid entrees and VERY friendly staff :) however the appetizers need to have more options for non fish loving people -.-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Restaurant FindluvdiningoutDined on 8/8/2014The food was outstanding, I had the filet 8 oz., husband had the ribeye, son had the filet, and daughter had the salmon special. Our server Pablo was very knowledgeable about the food and made some good recommendations. Dining area was very comfortable and not too loud. I would most definitely recommend this restaurant for a special occasion or just a nice dinner out. We will be dining there again.Special Features:
- Amazing!Daisy738Dined on 8/6/2014I found this restaurant online in a quick google search. I read over to menu and reviews. Everything looked pretty good. When my party got there we had amazing service and the food was to die for! Everything was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely the Best!LindyhopDined on 8/1/2014This was our third time dining at City Gate Grille over the past two months. The food and service are among the best in the Chicago area. Our compliments to Chef George and the entire restaurant staff for providing a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Good but NoisyToolieDined on 8/1/2014Service was excellent and food was good. The restaurant was noisy and we could hear the conversation at another table near us. This was a disappointment as my wife and I were trying to enjoy our dinner and have a conversation. Next time we go we will ask to be seated away from the window.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The First Time Won't be the Last!LadyQDined on 7/18/2014We had only been in Il for 2 weeks and wanted a romantic date spot. We decided to try City Grille and it did not disappoint! We were greeted by friendly, free valet service. Soothing, live music played and we entered to an amazing live band! There's a live band every Fri. and Sat. Our server quickly came to provide us with a wine/cocktail list. We both decided on cocktails. He had steak and I had salmon...lets just say we went home with no leftovers! DELICIOUS! 1st timers can send a text and for a free appetizer or dessert. They have daily specials like 5$ Martini Mondays and a late night menu. If you're looking for a romantic restaurant with great food and excellent service check out CityGrille, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A DelightFreqFlyr2Dined on 7/18/2014Everything was just right- and the one item that wasn't was corrected immediately . Outstanding service . good food and a little limited wine list, but otherwise a treat at reasonable prices. Duck breast was absolutely perfect. Definitely requiring a repeatSpecial Features:
- great placeMarkDined on 7/12/2014food is excellent and service great. Ask for Pablo to be your server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014I travel and eat out regularly so I know good food. This restaurant has great quality food, presented well that tastes very good. Its hand down the best meal I have for weeks each time i've been. The chef is great, menu is good and wine list is even better.Special Features:
- Awesome FIndhoulagrl86Dined on 6/28/2014After debating with my mother what would be the best place to eat that would please the picky palates of our family, we ran across this gem. It was amazing, it appealed to both the foodies and picky palates of our group. It definitely had a Mediterranean flair that was spectacularly delicious. It was expensive, but totally worth it!Special Features:
- Dining and Lounge ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Food was good, but over priced and portions were average. Did not like seating arrangements by window, you are sitting to close to the next people and could not carry on a private conversation. Waiter Pablo did a fine job. Lounge was great, and music was fantastic. Would not make this a regular stop for dining.Special Features:
- Amazing food, unexpected locationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014A wonderful restaurant! Great menu and service was great even when we were the only ones dining outside (patio is dog friendly!). If you don't mind being in a business park, the view and ambiance was beautiful overlooking a retention pond with cute strings of light everywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They always do a wonderful job...CityHoppinDined on 6/3/2014Their attentive staff and great food keep us coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid place all aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/20142nd time at the restaurant in the last month. didn't disappoint again. interesting menu options and all courses were solid. great live entertainment.
- DavidandroseDined on 5/27/2014Late weekday, very few in the restaurant. High quality prime steak at a reasonable price. Quick preparation, decent wine by the glass. Could determine steak was undercooked without cutting in to it, but it was quickly corrected.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014food was terrific and service fantastic. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C3113ZDined on 5/13/2014This is a great restaurant for business lunches. The menu has a nice variety of items so that anyone in the group can find something that they will enjoy. Service is attentive and the food arrives promptly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchhappydinerDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother here for Mother's Day brunch. All of the staff, including the parking attendants who helped with her wheelchair, were very friendly and helpful. They brought us coffee while we waited in the lounge area for our table. We each received a beautiful rose. There was a good variety of brunch selections. The beef tenderloin was very good.Special Features:
- Excellent placeProfDaveDined on 5/10/2014Food was excellent. Service was wonderful. I had Duck - great. My wife had pasta which she loved. Good size portions. Mussels as an appetizer was a generous portion. Large deserts - sharing may be appropriate. I had a couple of Johnny Walkers before dinner - It is my preferred drink so I order it often - they were a bit pricey here. Band starting playing about 8:30 - I liked the music, but a load restaurant became even loader. Not cheap - but good value for your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointing experienceanniversarydinersDined on 5/10/2014Our table was very small and literally 2 feet from a waiter station. We ordered a bottle of wine and appetizers to start, then the waiter took our entree order. Halfway through the appetizer, the food runner brought our entree and seemed a bit irritated that we were still enjoying our appetizers, and with our very small table, we had to rearrange everything on the table just so he could set them plates down. The food was simply OK and it seemed as though the sides had be prepared ahead of time because they were dry and slightly shriveled. Would have been nice to be able to enjoy the meal at a reasonable pace, but it seemed that we were rushed by the wait staff, even though the place was not completely filled. Would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014excellent value. Great food at very reasonable prices. excellent, attentive and personable service!Special Features:
- Great family dinnerNumbersDined on 5/10/2014We had a tasty dinner with family (4 kids, ages 10-16) for a recent special occasion. The steaks were tender and flavorful. The service was helpful and attentive, but not intrusive. This was a good value compared with well-known steak and chop houses in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty dinner in a lovely restaurantBeccaDined on 5/10/2014I took my mother here for Mother's Day. It was a really nice restaurant, and the food was good. For the price level, I've had better food (Niche in Geneva, IL). I don't think I would come back here considering that alone. Still, it was a nice place, nice views, and the restaurant looks great. Service could have been better--maybe they were understaffed? Either way, most important is that my mother enjoyed herself.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundNellDined on 5/7/2014My husband took me for my birthday and I could not be happier. We had the scallops and they were delicious! Pablo our waiter was attentive and not intrusive. He made great recommendations. Wednesday is half price wine night.....a super feature.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassypurylDined on 5/5/2014Very nice restaurant and nice ambience. I would recommend it for both lunch and dinner. Very good place for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 725 reviews are from the CityGate Grille reviews archive.
- Noise levelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014We were there with nine people to celebrate my daughters graduation from nursing school. We were at a long table and because of the music and singer were unable to have conversations. The singer was actually very good but he was very loud and in the two hours we were there 8:30 t0 10:30 he never took a break. I spent $700 and was very disappointed the evening turned out the way it did. We truly like and normally enjoy you restaurant and will return though request a table as far from the music as possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HoneymoonOlesonDined on 5/3/2014My husband and I went to dinner at CityGate Grille for our Honeymoon. The steak was the best I've ever had, and his lamb was amazing. We had early reservations and it was empty when we first arrived, but it quickly filled. I would definitely go there again if we are in the area!Special Features:
- Best kept secretwestburbfoodieDined on 5/2/2014I have only good things to say about this restaurant. Quite a variety to select from on the menu for dinner, which I appreciate especially since I have food allergies. The service was excellent - not only by our server but many others at the restaurant, including the manager checking in us. Our server was very knowledgeable on the menu and easily answered my questions on recommendations due to my food restrictions. Everything I had was great and I will definitely come back.Special Features:
- great find - great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014This was our fist visit to CityGate Grille... we will be back - but only for special occasions - since it is on the expensive side. They provide ample serving sizes and the taste is delectable - it is just a bit pricey for "everyday dining" .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable experiencetrynew1Dined on 4/28/2014The food was delicious and creative. The service was excellent. I would dine there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Food was awesome, it got 4 stars only because my husband ordered his steak med rare and it came out well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceoceanviewDined on 4/23/2014Our waiter was outstanding and the food phenomenal. We had a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.