City Tavern - Downtown LA
735 S. Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90017Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
City Tavern - Downtown LA
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citytaverndtla.com/
- Phone: 2132395654
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jessica Christensen
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: 7th st
- Public Transit: There is a metro station for subway at 7th and flower (1 block away)and bus stops 1 block away at 8th and flower, and 7th and francisco
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Valet is available on Figueroa st. Otherwise there is a lot for the Fig at 7th complex with entrances on both 7th and 8th streets. Park on the bottom 3 floors for restaurants and shops.
A word from City Tavern - Downtown LA
From the Rush Street and the first City Tavern guys – Ken Kaufman & Brian McKeaney – comes their newest Downtown Los Angeles venue, an old school tavern, CITY TAVERN to be exact! Distressed brick walls, reclaimed wood floors & walls, warm wood tables and chairs plus a lounge with comfy couches. Old school, until you look at the menu where you will find refined comfort food for lunch and dinner, 28 of the best California craft draft beers behind the bar, a boutique California specific wine program and some of the best hand crafted cocktails in DTLA.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
City Tavern - Downtown LA - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
City Tavern - Downtown LA reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (6)hot spot (4)late-night find (3)neighborhood gem (3)special occasion (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Great find in Fig at 7th!bicibellaDined on 9/12/2014I've visited the Fig at 7th many times since the location was renovated, but have not dined at City Tavern until last Friday 9/19/14. I made a reservation there a month in advance for a working lunch and had no issues with the wait or the possibility of accommodating an extra person. The food and service was excellent! I'm curious to try the other food items upon my anticipated future returns! Definitely a great find for dining and happy hour!Special Features:
- Had a wonderful lunch thereyijinuiucDined on 8/20/2014We went for lunch and it was my first time being in City Tavern. It was a great experience. I had the steak cseasar sald with garlic fries and it was very very good. I ordered my steak medium rare and it was perfectly done. The place was very noisy though in my opinion. I felt I had to yell when I talked to my coworkers sitting across the table. Our waiter Michael was attentive, quick, polite. You could tell he's a guy getting the work done. I'd take my young kids here for lunch since my kids are loud. I haven't been there for dinner so I wouldn't know anything about the noise level or the atmosphere at night. The set-up and the decoration throughout the restaurant is great too. Very at ease yet chic. I'd suggest this place to everyone!Special Features:
- Pastrami hamburger725figVIPDined on 8/14/2014Might be the best burger I've ever had. The burg was like silk, and the pastrami was tender. Fun place, too.Special Features:
- NcalcarazDined on 8/1/2014The food was okay, nothing special. I loved that they had so many beers though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!JaneDined on 7/23/2014A little hard to find as it is below street level in fig@7th complex but well worth it especially if you like local brews, wines and liquors. Food was great. Tried the pork sliders, deviled eggs, Brussels sprouts, steak salad and chicken salad. Nothing disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serviceJustbeingreal0313Dined on 7/8/2014Waitress disappeared plenty of times during happy hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for Lunch!justmaverickDined on 6/27/2014Really a great addition to Downtown LA. The beer is amazing and the food hits all the right spots! Go to this place, and you will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- LunchNewhalresidentVIPDined on 6/24/2014It was extremely noisy at lunch, we wanted to conduct business and it was difficult to talk.Special Features:
- Place is goodFriendlyneighbor1Dined on 6/4/2014The pull pork sandwich is delicious. The sauce on the sandwich taste soo good!Special Features:
- The following 8 reviews are from the City Tavern - Downtown LA reviews archive.
- RoadWarriorVIPDined on 5/17/2014The woman who waited on us (Halee) rushed us to order drinks while we were still sitting down and then wanted our food order instantly. We told her we were not ready. Then when we were actually ready to order, she was at the kitchen entrance yapping with the manager and someone else and could not have cared less about us. The service here is usually stupendous so I won't hold it against the restaurant, but I will not be seated in her area again
- A-OKKatKDined on 5/13/2014Reading some of the grand opening comments, wanted to give the place some time to get into a groove. They seem to have accomplished this. Service good and food good, I must try their salads (they look awesome). A bit pricey......I ordered the veggie burger. It was tasty, but chucks kept falling out of the bun. Probably needs some added filler to keep the patty together. Will certainly go back again.Special Features:
- Try the burger and the deviled eggseatdisyoDined on 5/9/2014I can't speak to anything else on the menu. However - the burger and the deviled eggs starter are amazing and filling!Special Features:
- Downtown needed a good tavernOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/16/2014Good food, good beers/drinks and great service. That's all a tavern needs.Special Features:
- Food was OK - good price pointMichaelDined on 3/21/2014Food was OK - good price point for lunch. Service was indifferent and noise level way too high - couldn't hear what tablemates were saying without having to lean way in over the table. Maybe work on some acoustic treatment and I'd have no hesitation going back.Special Features:
- The service was great as wellNormaDined on 3/13/2014The service was great as well as the food and the price even better, I will recommend the City Taver to all my friends.Special Features:
- Pretty Standard GastopubLuvDiningOutVIPDined on 3/8/2014Nice, spacious and handsome decor and design. The food was pretty middle-of-the-road; not bad, but nothing to cheer about. The service was good and friendly, if a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only OK.DonnJulieVIPDined on 3/2/2014Place has kind of an industrial look. We had decent service and the food was OK but not exceptional. LONG walk from parking garage to the restaurant.