City Tap House - UC
3925 Walnut Street, 2nd Floor Balcony
Philadelphia, PA 19104Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
City Tap House - UC
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.citytaphouse.com/index.php
- Phone: 2156620105x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10 PM
Friday: 11:30 AM - 11 PM
Brunch: 11 AM - 3 PM
Dinner: 4 PM - 11 PM
Brunch: 11 AM - 3 PM
Dinner: 4 PM - 10 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Vetter
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer a great selection of our menu favorites and a large menu of hors d'oeuvres available with our staff for catering at your location.
- Entertainment: Live music: various acoustic acts and bands throughout the week and late-night, DJs on the weekends.
- Special Events: Check out our website, www.citytaphouse.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, for an updated list of upcoming special events
- Cross Street: 39th and Walnut
- Public Transit: The Market-Frankford "El" has a stop at 40th and Market Streets as well as the Walnut Street bus line drops at our door.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is ample street parking and a garage available just across 40th street attached to the Fresh Grocer complex.
A word from City Tap House - UC
CITY TAP HOUSE is serving the region’s largest selection of draught beers – 60 taps in all, including many rare and sought-after crafts – with a menu of creative American pub fare. Features a rustic, 120-seat dining room adjacent to an open kitchen, a spacious bar area, and an outdoor patio with two terraces, a green roof and a row of five stone fire pits overlooking Walnut Street. This University City hot-spot is one of the city’s most popular food-and-beer destinations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
City Tap House - UC - Best Restaurants in University City ›
City Tap House - UC reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (27)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)fit for foodies (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (7)scenic view (7)late-night find (7)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)romantic (1)Show More
- City Tap - now in my top 5OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014Had a great time, server was training a new server, no complaints. The food took just a bit longer than expected to come out but it was fantastic and they more than made up for it by keeping our glasses full! Great service, great food. The managers took the time to say hello and asked about our experience. We were treated so well, I was beginning to think they believed we were from a magazine or online restaurant site. ! Kudos for great service and for coming back strong after for a mini setback. We will be adding the City Tap to our top five fave haunts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh brunchdm715VIPDined on 9/28/2014The brunch menu is small. The Bloody Mary wasn't worth drinking let alone 10$. And the nachos were soggy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummm Honey Goat PizzaNiccogsDined on 9/28/2014Everything was fantastic. Get the Honey Goat Cheese Pizza. You wont be disappointed!Special Features:
- FIRE ALARMOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014It turned on and stayed on for about 40 minutes. That's pretty bad. I know the restaurant is attached to an apartment building, but it totally kills the vibe... we would've left, but we'd already ordered. Otherwise, a very enjoyable evening with a TON of beers on tap, a great server, and tasty food.Special Features:
- Good choice for a nice fall dayRaggyboysVIPDined on 9/22/2014Given the great fall weather we are having we wanted to pick a restaurant where we could dine outside and City Tap House did not disappoint. The space is one floor up and does not front the street so noise was not a problem. Food was good and service was attentive would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Saturday night, where's the food?charlottebronteDined on 9/13/2014Dinner on Saturday night at 7:30. They were already out of a lot of things we tried to order: steak special, mussels, a few other things I don't remember, including beers. Sadness. Several disappointments with the food: gloppy salad under fried green tomatoes, calzone with no flavor. What beer we had was good, though. Would go back for drinks only.Special Features:
- OK placeMelaneej3Dined on 9/6/2014I love the selection of beer they have. Our server immediately assumed that I would want a cider (since I'm a female), which I did not. Then his service was less than stellar at our table. He did come by to check on us but was very short. We originally were sent someone elses food. There was no real apology for that. One person at our table didn't like the food at all, one person liked half of their meal and one person had no complaints. So the food is mediocre at best. This place should stick to burgers and beer only.Special Features:
- Service not up to your usual parBrewerymountVIPDined on 8/23/2014Previous times I have gone to CTH have been splendid, so when I took my in-laws to introduce them I figured CTH wasa no brainer. We were left astray at the check in, waitress was a dear but clearly overloaded with tables, and the busser laid down and then took away one of our pizzas just as we were about to dig in. Was is just staff training day? I hope so because I love LOVE CTH and have recommended it to so many - hope our experience was a one-off!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed iteatingoutDined on 8/19/2014Loved the chicken and waffles. Extensive beer list. I like the restaurant itself too - high ceilings makes I feel really open.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotYasminDined on 8/15/2014My BFF suggested I go for the Shrimp and Grits. My hubby and I went on Friday when I picked him up from a business trip at 30th St. He got the shrimp and grits(not for me because I don't eat pork or beef) and I got the pan seared cobia. The cobia was great. Not a fan of the succatache. It was seasoned well. My husband loved the shrimp and grits. He was a little put off at first because the grits were deep fried in a block. But nice presentation. Over all good food. Oh you have to order the crab hush puppies! Love!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InnaVIPDined on 8/4/2014We took two co-workers to lunch, and enjoyed the experience. The service was good, the food was good - we had a nice time.Special Features:
- Delicious specialAmandaDined on 7/19/2014This was my first time eating at the City Tap House, and it was a great experience. I began with a flight of four beers, which was a great option to have considering they have 43 beers on tap. I ordered the special for dinner: duck with a spinach, mushroom, and goat cheese risotto. It was amazing! Definitely will go back.Special Features:
- City TapOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Six of us went for dinner the other night. Got an outdoor table and had a great meal. Beer selection was very extensive and the food was surprising good and creative.Special Features:
- mixed emotions.angieDined on 7/11/2014Although the server was apologetic and sweet, there were several major problems that will make me question my next trip to this bar. We had a tray full of water glasses dropped onto our table, laps, phones etc. Half of our dinner order was lost somehow and came out 30mins after the first entrée, and was overcooked and inedible. The waitress was sweet and removed the drinks and burnt food and the beautiful outdoor space with fire pits helped soften the blow. I would go back again but I would likely skip dinner next time and head straight to the bar!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingTXAg82Dined on 7/11/2014Had an amazing waitress who was so sweet and knowledgeable. Had a great time and delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large outdoor areaOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/28/2014This place was great. The food was very good. Not bar food at all. Some very interesting choices on the menu. They had a very large outdoor seating area with a garden. It looks like they have a few fire pits for night time as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing outdoor city diningnomeat4meDined on 6/27/2014Had a relaxed lunch with salads and flatbread on the outdoor seating area. Food was delicious, service friendly and responsive, and we sat next to a sea of purple flowers on a second floor veranda. Felt like the city was miles away...a wonderful treat!Special Features:
- Great beer list, nice on the deckSue19Dined on 6/26/2014Very enjoyable to sit on the deck for dinner. Very nice waiter who gave us tastes of beer before ordering. Laid back and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 300 reviews are from the City Tap House - UC reviews archive.
- jln3681VIPDined on 6/22/2014I love this place. Love the garden, love the food, the service. Great spot.Special Features:
- Great burgers and beer!BrunchloverVIPDined on 6/18/2014We were visiting in The Penn area and wanted a nearby place for bergers and beer. City Tap was wonderful! Great food, service and terrific beer selection. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite in PhillyKlamberDined on 5/29/2014My wife and I love City Tap, and have been coming here regularly since we moved to Philly. The beer list is excellent, but the star of the menu is by far the pizzas. We usually get the margherita and pepperoni, which rival Dock Street. Aside from the pizzas, the burgers are very well executed, especially with the sweet potato fries. In terms of the entree, I probably wouldn't recommend the chicken and waffles, but the steak is pretty good. They recently updated their dessert menu, and my personal favorite is the opera cake or the seasonal creme brulee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodjerryDined on 5/23/2014We went for our aniversary with out children, 11 and 14. The wings and burgers were good, so the food is a 3. The beer was cold. The humus wasn't that great, neither was the pizza. An ok place to go, but not rushing back. There are many better pubs.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad food, good beerphillybearDined on 5/20/2014If you are looking for good beer, you're fine. Pizza is generally good, although sometimes arrived with burned crust. Appetizers were really awful. Nachos a pile of soggy, overly sweet goo, the 'sliders' swimming and overpowered by another overly sweet sauce/slaw.Special Features:
- Mother Day OutingFireHogDined on 5/11/2014We had 5 people for a late lunch. I found this restaurant on Open Table. I did not see it was ONLY a brunch only for that day. Rob was outstanding and we started off with drinks. We got there at 230 but you can only get brunch. At 3 we could get salads or pizza and at 4 dinner. So we got dinner at 4 and it was a great day sitting outside on the second floor with the family. We will be going back in the summer for Dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice brunchlibrarianDined on 5/11/2014Went here for Mother's Day brunch. The buffet food was very good. There's not a huge selection, but everything that was there was good. This is a big loud space -- you can tell there's a good bar scene in the evenings. The service was great. Everyone was very friendly. I'd go back for brunch, but probably not for Mother's Day again.Special Features:
- It was okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/11/2014I went for the Mother's Day brunch buffet. Initially, we weren't really directed to where the buffet was. The buffet part itself was mediocre. The best part was the omelet station and dessert. The people who worked there were really nice. Our server, although nice, didn't always clear our plates. We had to put them on the side before he'd take them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mother's DayrdougDined on 5/11/2014We enjoyed the entire set up for the Mother's Day Brunch. The only thing we had a problem with was that the hostess didn't ask us if we wanted to sit in or outside.. and they sat us inside.. then we asked to sit outside but they sat us at a table with no umbrella when it was high 70s. So we moved to a table with an umbrella.. I understand there are sections for waitresses but sometimes its the luck of the draw and the customers should still be able to decide if they can sit in or outside. But besides that it was AMAZING! So cute that my mom got flowers on the way in... and the buffet was AMAZING! the view outside was so nice and peaceful and a great way to spend mother's day with my mother and siblings. We will definately be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentlimericktruckerDined on 5/3/2014Overall excellent place, good food and good beer! Would really like to go back again!!Special Features:
- Excellent beer menuOccasionalDinerDined on 5/2/2014This was my second time at the City Tap House. Both times the noise level made it very hard to hold a conversation and it was a relief to escape the din upon leaving the restaurant. I have not tried the outside seating were this may not be as big of an issue. The food was very good (Shrimp and Grits) and the draft beer selection is impressive. The bar area was packed but still navigable. Would rate this as a good bar scene more than a good dining experience.Special Features:
- good find in university cityalbatrossDined on 4/27/2014the food was very good and plentiful. The beers were also fine, with a wide selection. A bit high priced for the food, which was good, but the bill was a bit shocking. we had some vegan food and also mussels and scallops.Special Features:
- Hidden place, nice areaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014It's a rather nice place, great location. Only gripe isn't much of a gripe, the reservation I made only applied to indoor seating, all outdoor seating was first come, first serve.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best brunch yetNdliziDined on 4/12/2014Went there for a Saturday brunch.left there a believer.loved everything. Especially the bread pudding,had to order another to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer selectionInHarmswayDined on 3/15/2014Great beer and food are enough to go to the City Tap House. The service and wood fire pizzas make it a must for anyone in the mood for a great meal in University City. Plenty of fun to have watching people is you sit in the bar area. Hang with your friends out by the firepits at night on their deck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good stuffNicoleDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant is awesome. The outside rooftop patio is fantastic and their food is delicious. I'm a huge beer nerd and their beer selection is fantastic as well. It was pretty loud and crazy because the Erin Express was going on, but on a normal day I'm sure it would've been fine. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too many kicked kegsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/16/2014I was very excited to bring a customer to a restaurant that boats such an extensive beer list. Sadly, the 4 beers we wanted were kicked.
- Nice placeMichelleDined on 2/14/2014Atmosphere is great. Food is okay. Service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I took my brother and twoPhilDined on 2/8/2014I took my brother and two adult children to the Tap House for dinner. We had the wings which were great and quite unique. I had the ribs and my brother had the pork and broccoli rabe calzone. The food was very good! Our server was very attentive without hanging around. All in all a good experience, and I will certainly go back. Thanks guys, nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and craft beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/6/2014I have been here a few times, and I never was disappointed. Loved their lamb burger, and the craft beer selection was fantastic. Our server was absolutely great as well!Special Features:
- Really goodMaddieDined on 2/1/2014We had 5 propel in are group and everyone enjoyed their meal. The mussels were good but VERY heavy on the garlic. The corn crab fritters were reason enough to eat here! Good for burgers or a big steak.Special Features:
- Excuse me WAITER!!!!!FiercelyluvnteeDined on 1/23/2014I planned an outing for a group of teachers. We arrived at different times and in the beginning our waiter was very attentive with our drink orders. However once we started talking and taking a while to decide our order. We began to wait in 15 minute intervals before we saw our waiter. This may seem like not that long of a time. But for teachers whom last time ate at 12 and now it's 7..WE WERE HUNGRY! Anyway when our food finally did come it was amazing. I had the chicken and waffles. I loved the red tomato sauce for the chicken and syrup for the waffles. It went well together. I didn't like the waffles bc they were soggy with the sauce on the bottom. Overall we enjoyed ourselves we didn't like the wait time. Check it out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.