City Lobster & Steakhouse
121 West 49th Street
New York, NY 10020Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
City Lobster & Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citylobster.com/
- Phone: (212) 354-1717
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday. 11:30am-11:00pm. Fri - Saturday 11:30am-12:00am. Sun Open until 11:00pm
JOIN US FOR OUR 3-COURSE PRE-FIXED LUNCH FOR ONLY $27.50 AND DINNER FOR ONLY $38.50 AVAILABLE DAILY.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The fine food and atmosphere at City Lobster & Steak make it the perfect location for corporate dining, holiday parties, and other special events. The main dining area seats 165 & the lounge seats 25. The 15 seat bar is also available for use. We can also cater cocktails events for 20 to 300 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Gabriel Biton 2123541717x
A word from City Lobster & Steakhouse
Regional American Seafood, featuring contemporary seafood and shellfish dishes. Special sizing in lobster and a variety of crab. Located at Rockefeller Plaza bordering the Theater District & Times Square. Full service bar and raw bar with an award winning wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Lobster & Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
291 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (90)great for lunch (89)good for groups (76)neighborhood gem (61)romantic (40)notable wine list (39)hot spot (28)kid-friendly (21)great for brunch (20)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (14)great for outdoor dining (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- We love this place.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/23/2014We have been several times now so this is an overall review, not just for one visit. This is a great pre- or post theater spot, or a regular night out. Going pre--theater without a reservation on Saturdays we have had no trouble but I recommend making reservations for dinner, doing it on opentable is great! The lobster is always steamed to perfection and the french fries are the best. I only took off a star for ambiance because they need to work out the airconditioning/heating thing- sometimes it is too hot in there and it does get a little loud but not too much for me. Service is usually great also, never had a problem and they will help you with your lobster deconstruction. Some staff are more experienced than others. The lovely girl who served us this past time was very nice, I just don't remember her name. I didn't care for the lobster mashed potoato thing, I think going pure on both is a better experience. No one I have dined with has had the steak so I can't speak to that, I have enjoyed the scallops, the shrimp cocktail are nice, and the preview menu is always a great choice if you plan to get more than one course. The salads have been excellent also, fresh and plentiful. If you are more than three people get two baskets of fries! I gave it five stars overall keeping in mind it is not "fine dining" it is a fun night out in lobster bibs with wet wipes- take a second date here :) kinda messy yummy fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kro30VIPDined on 11/22/2014Similar to other reviews, the service was very slow. We would have enjoyed some bread on the table and possibility a second glass of wine prior to our meal being served. One guest requested a filet medium rare and received a well done steak, luke warm with cold hollandaise. After sending it back, the new filet came hot with a little pink and the same cold sauce. The fish dish I had (bronzino) had little to no seasoning and when I requested salt and pepper, the salt served is what the kitchen uses to prepare food in a large Morton's-like shaker. Overall disappointed.
- Delicious!travellingcariVIPDined on 11/22/2014The oysters sampler is a welcome new addition to the menu. And as always, the pepper crusted tuna is delicious. A great dinner as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best quality.LocatorDined on 11/22/2014I think City Lobster survives because it is in a highly trafficked tourist area of New York. We went there to have a pre-theater dinner. This was the first time I did not eat my dinner roll, subpar, service and salad was decent, the main meal, Cioppino fell flat. It was clear that they had not used not high quality ingredients.
- DisappointingGlenVIPDined on 11/22/2014Felt rushed which is ironic as our main course took nearly 45 minutes to receive after eating our appetizer. Then the crab cakes had to be returned as they were cold in the middle...another 10 minute wait. Waitress was very nice but seemed stressed. Hopefully it was just a bad one-off experience. That said, I won't give them another chance.
- BETTER SEAFOOD RESTAURANTS AVAILABLE IN NEW YORKDashDined on 11/22/2014ARRIVED FOR DINNER AT 4:30 AND WAS SEATED WITH A WINDOW/STREET LEVEL VIEW. ORDERED TEA AND LEMONADE AND WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE OUT OF LEMONADE. NO ONE WANTED TO MAKE LEMONADE? THERE WERE VERY FEW PRICES ON THE MENU AS EVERYTHING WAS "MARKET PRICE" WHICH COULD CHANGE BY THE MINUTE. WAITRESS FRIENDLY BUT INEXPERIENCED AND DID NOT KNOW ANY OF THE MARKET PRICES. THE PRICE FIXED MENU SEEMED REASONABLE AT $40.00 BUT EVERY ITEM HAD A SURCHARGE SO $40.00 WAS NOT HONEST. ORDERED TWO COBB SALADS WHICH WERE TO INCLUDE LOBSTER MEAT AND BOTH ONLY HAD ONE SMALL PIECE OF LOBSTER. GUESS CITY LOBSTER WAS RUNNING OUT OF LOBSTER LIKE LEMONADE. CHEESECAKE DESSERT WAS DRY NOT NYC CHEESECAKE. NOT WORTH THE PRICE FOOD WAS BLAND THERE ARE BETTER PLACES IN THE AREA TO EAT FROM RED-EYE, THE PALMS, CITY SEAFOOD TO NAME A FEW. LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR VALUE AND TASTE. I AM NOT A TOURIST AND THIS WAS JUST BAD.
- Always Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2014We had a wonderfully delicious dinner last week at City Lobster! The highlight was the Lobster salad; it was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coopDined on 11/15/2014Great food, great location, seafood is terrific.bEasy to get reservation, more NYC travelers sould take advantage of this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service; disappointing food.terpiciaDined on 11/14/2014The good: The hostess was very welcoming; the waiter was attentive and professional. I had asked for a birthday candle on the dessert when I booked on Open Table, and they provided it without reminder. The bad: We both had salad--one had Caesar, the other a lettuce mixture: the lettuce was not crisp in either; the dressings were nondescript. My daughter's scallops tasted faintly ammonia-like; the sauce was thick and flavorless. She sent it back (the first time in her life she's done that). My fish was fairly bland. The restaurant handled the complaint well--we were not charged for my daughter's meal, only the chowder. We had the apple crumb dessert--again, fairly bland both in flavor and texture. We regretted we didn't order lobster and/or oysters, which looked good on other's plates! Will not return.
- SeafoodififVIPDined on 11/13/2014I have had better seafood but I did not order the lobster. Our waitress was the absolute bestSpecial Features:
- Good seafood, great service!TeeKayDined on 11/10/2014I've been here several times and always enjoy it. Monday night we had half a dozen littlenecks, a caraf of rosé, salmon, scallops, cappuccino, and chocolate burbon pecan pie, all of which was delicious. Our server was a lovely, bubbly, funny, bilingual young lady with a V name (Vivian? Veronica? Aaah I forget!) and she was totally delightful. I'd definitely recommend her and the restaurant as a whole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYC destination for seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/8/2014Excellent service comes with a solid seafood meal.Special Features:
- We stopped in for lated dinnerKennVIPDined on 11/7/2014We stopped in for a (very) late dinner and despite the hour the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Radio City Lunchhoward2VIPDined on 11/7/2014Chose City Lobster because the reviews were good and it is one block from Radio City Music Hall. What a nice surprise for lunch! Raw bar...good. Soups...good. Crab, shrimp and, especially, lobster salads...good. Key lime pie...good. Service from Vivian was excellent. We will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceCarshowRellDined on 11/4/2014Amazing food, pleasant waiters, was in town for the day and took my family there for dinner. Left the place telling the general manager we will be sure to return when we are back in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindlivefromGreenBayDined on 10/31/2014Found this diamond by searching on line. Didn't have gluten free items labeled on menu but our waiter wad very knowledgeable. Will visit again on next visit to NYCSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable experienceBabsDined on 10/29/2014The Food was outstanding and our waiter was The Best!! All staff was attentiveSpecial Features:
- good mealabsmithDined on 10/24/2014Loved the Alaskan King Crab Legs! Terrific service! Gotta love when they crack open the lobster for you.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful treat in mid-town!GeoffVIPDined on 10/23/2014Great service, great food, and a must to return! Wasn't sure what to expect and I was more than pleasantly surprised. The angry lobster is amazing and they had a very tasty Wente Estates Morning Fog Chardonnay to go along with my great meal!Special Features:
- Mixed reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2014Calamari app was sent back twice and finally cancelled-heavy breading which was the opposite of what the waitress told us to expect. Same with the fried onion rings. 2 lb lobster was done very well and the filet was medium and very tender, although it was not hot when served. Had a 6:00 reservation before the theater and the restaurant was empty.
- Lively2blackrabbitsDined on 10/23/2014Very lovely atmosphere. Prix fixe menu choices good, but items with lobster were extra. I had the calamari appetizer, nice sauce and tender. I got a 2lb lobster baked. Very tasty, but could have gone with a smaller one since the appetizer was so generous. The peach blueberry parcel (essentially an individual pie) was delicious. Getting a taxi back to our hotel was difficult, try 7th Ave, not 6th. Service was prompt and friendly.Special Features:
- Was Not pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/20/2014I was disappointed in the service. The waitress was clueless on the Menu which made us very unsure of the restaurant. As a chef myself I felt the food was left in the window to long due to the waitress and the Lobster on top of the Lobster Mash was brown.
- Outstanding as always.ToniDined on 10/15/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants because I love Alaskan King Crab legs and you can get 20 oz. either steamed or sauteed. DeliciouslSpecial Features:
- The food and service was greatPab1Dined on 10/14/2014Great food and service very timely made , we came before a show and made it on time, north lobster was great and the filet was good as well, the waiters were very friendly and made sure every thing is rightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehK2NoDined on 10/12/2014My husband and daughter were excited about a 2lb lobster entrée, but they were out. (we had a relatively early reservation, 7:00p.m., the restaurant is called "City Lobster", and they're out of lobster???) So they both ordered a 1.5lb lobster that was small and very dry. They were not impressed. My meal was good. We enjoyed the Ahi Tuna appetizer. The waiter was pleasant. Just meh. We were visiting NYC, so probably won't make an effort to return to this restaurant on our next trip.
- ServiceMarebdayDined on 10/12/2014This was my second time here. First experience was excellent. Now it service wasnt good. Attendants should be mire empathics with visitors, explain the menu and fullfill needs..be nicer and understand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great prix-fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014great pre-theater choice. seafood and prix-fixe were delicious and there were so many different options.Special Features:
- Good for a business lunchdine2shareDined on 10/9/2014The location and prix fixe lunch make this place attractive for meeting people over lunch. However, the wait staff is inattentive and my lobster and shrimp cobb salad arrived under seasoned and under sauced. The waiter tried to convince me it was thus because "it is a heavy sauce", which it is not by any means. Ultimately he relented and brought additional sauce on the side. I intend to give City Lobster another try, this time to check our its raw bar offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinerVIPDined on 10/8/2014Heard good things about the restaurant from other people so we were looking forward to trying it. Unfortunately, our Lobster rolls were mediocre, soggy, small for the cost. French fries were cold and limp.
- Consistently high qualityGolosoneDined on 10/8/2014I've had lunch here many times -- salmon, bronzino, scallops, and a tuna nicoise with slabs of perfectly seared tuna stand out in memory. The food is always good and the service is reliably good to excellent (attentive without being intrusive). The key lime pie for dessert is deservedly popular. the bar at one end of the restaurant is casual, popular, and also features excellent service for after-work drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Lobster and SteakMrBlueSkiesVIPDined on 10/5/2014We had the daily special, 6 oz lobster tail, 6 oz filet, 3 ozs lump crab, and 3 asparagus for $46. Worth every penny. The filet and lobster were cooked perfectly. You literally could cut the filet with your fork. Came with a side of melted butter and hollandaise sauce. We ordered the side of lobster mash. It had a fair amount of lobster but was mushy and odd-tasting. Would not order again. Service was outstanding. No special cocktails but both the Martini and Manhatten were well made. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fairly unimpressiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The service was disorganized and poor. We had to ask several times for several things (um, I ordered glass of wine?, remember we've asked for salt? The wine? The salt?... The food was not unpleasant, but it was not particularly hot, and my friend's steak was a little over done.
- Great lobsterRichDined on 10/2/2014Lobster was delicious, service outstanding. Caesar salad good, shrimp cocktail was wonderful largest I've ever eaten a meal in it's selfSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great reviews but disappointedBistrofanVIPDined on 9/29/2014Read the prior reviews, generally very good. We went at 7pm on a Monday night, restaurant was not overly busy. Friendly greeting and shown to our seats. Service was best part of meal, friendly and attentive. Food was average at best. Too many other great places to go in NYC to waste a meal at this restaurant.
- Pleasantly surprised...RobinVIPDined on 9/29/2014If you're looking for a seafood - type of restaurant in the theater district that serves good food at moderate prices this is your restaurant.Special Features:
- Go To - Seafood RestaurantmiomangiaDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed the excellent seafood dishes and our waiter was quite attentive and hospitable. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a Nice SurprisePeteralanVIPDined on 9/26/2014CL&S does an amazing prix fixe and the regular menu also has some terrific choices. Our waiter suggested that we try the 99 cent oysters, which were excellent. I had the deluxe, Seafood Cobb salad which was filled with lobster, crab and shrimp and was the perfect pre-theater dinner choice. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!!JoniDined on 9/25/2014The service was Great, food was none stop love to come here before the show.Thanks again for a good time as always.Special Features:
- Not What We RememberGlobalDinerVIPDined on 9/22/2014City Lobster in the theater district is usually our spot to dine when we go see a show. However, there are been MANY changes in the last 2 yrs: increased prices every 6 mths & the items on the pre-fix menu have gone to less desirable items. But we still enjoyed the food. However, this time our meal was over cooked and dried out. Also the Pre-fix has increased again & there is no more "Lobster Bake" on it nor does the 2 lb lobster come w/any sides (just the lobster), also the supplement used to be $4, then it was $8, then it was $12, and now it is $16! Makes no sense to even put the 2 lb lobster on the pre-fix! This place just isn't what is was and there are too many really good places to eat in the theater district than eat here.Special Features:
- Great dinner before the show.TedCDined on 9/20/2014My fiance and I wanted to have dinner close to the theater. After looking at their menu in line, we chose City Lobster and Steakhouse. We started with a dozen oysters. Fresh and delicious. My fiance had the yellowfin tuna and I had the cornmeal crusted salmon. Cooked perfectly. And the service was impeccable. We will definitely be going back when in NYC add-inSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.