255 State Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citylanding.com/
- Phone: 6177250305x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Brodsky
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering options are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Entertainment: A sophisticated and eclectic collection of world, jazz and contemporary music sets the tone for this modern yet comfortable space.
- Special Events: City Landing hosts special events. They can be found on the restaurant's website at http://www.citylanding.com/news-and-events
- Cross Street: State Street and Atlantic Avenue
- Public Transit: Directly across the street from City Landing is the Aquarium Station T-stop (on the Blue Line), Long Wharf Ferry Terminal, Water Taxi Dock and Hubway Bicycle Station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated Parking is available at the Rowes Wharf Garage. Simply bring your parking slip and present it to your server for validation.
$12 Nights and Weekends, $27 All Day Parking
30 Rowes Wharf
Boston MA 02110
Several garages and parking lots are in the immediate area within a five minute stroll of City Landing.
A word from City Landing
City Landing is a contemporary, upscale-casual restaurant located at 255 State Street, serving lunch and dinner seven days a week with Sunday brunch. Forbes Four-Star award winning Chef/Owner Bill Brodsky prepares contemporary American cuisine that meets an energetic and casually sophisticated design, care of Boston's Stephen Sousa. Open airy windows overlook Long Wharf and the Rose Kennedy Greenway; just seconds away from Faneuil Hall, the NE Aquarium and Harbor. A convivial and comfortable setting sees splashes of mint green and rich mahogany, accented by natural quartz stone inlaid with mosaic glass tiles and chic high end lighting. The menu features a large variety of American fare including thoughtful seafood dishes, artisan pizzettas, creative salads and a bounty of carefully crafted entrees produced from locally indigenous ingredients. The bar features small plate tapas, specialty cocktails, local distilleries, local brews on tap, and a reasonably priced wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since April 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)good for groups (47)great for outdoor dining (43)special occasion (38)great for lunch (37)romantic (30)neighborhood gem (27)scenic view (25)kid-friendly (23)great for brunch (19)hot spot (15)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)Show More
- Great spot for friendsiluvf00dDined on 8/15/2014I went here with two of my friends, and it was quiet enough for us to have good conversation but still lively enough to be exciting! The food was great, I especially liked the gluten free and vegetarian menu options. I will definitely come back here soon.Special Features:
- Nice venueLyneDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, however we found it a little too salty to our liking. Service was very good and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014We went to City Landing after seeing a television article on the restaurants that use local farm products and how fresh the food at the restaurant was. Made a reservation through Open Table and was most impressed. Upon arrival we were greeted nicely and seated at a street view window seat. Our waiter John O was the best! His enthusiasm and recommendations were most helpful in enhancing our wonderful meal. While it was our first visit, I know it will not be the last. The location is great, but the food is just superb. The scallops were the dish John O suggested, and he was absolutely correct. Hope to see them soon.Special Features:
- Great service & kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014Not only was the wait service top notch, the the kitchen was extremely accommodating making sure our party's specific dietary restrictions were met. All the food was amazing, unique, and cooked to our specifications. Apart from some noisy Boston motorists, the outdoor dining was very relaxing and comfortable. Overall, an amazing restaurant and a gem, we will definitely come back!Special Features:
- So much to see.JillyDined on 8/8/2014We ate outside on a beautiful, very busy day, so I feel bad rating the noise level. It was noisy, and just what we were looking for while visiting the city for lunch. Everything was perfect here.Special Features:
- All around greatRFV1234Dined on 8/7/2014I am a regular at City Landing taking friends and family. There are always wonderful choices on the menu for each course and the menu changes with new surprises frequentlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soChefKDined on 8/6/2014Our dinner orders were not taken until after the appetizers were cleared, leaving us with bulky menus under our plates. Coffee is served cold, steak frets, although tender and juicy, had no flavor (where was the roasted garlic flavor or salt?) and the fries were under cooked. My niece got the steak as well, hers had flavor but was tough. I did not touch but 3 bites of my meal and was never asked how it was. After we finally paid (2.5 hours later) I approached the manager about the meal, just to let him know. He said there was nothing he could do (I never asked for anything), but as soon as I told him I was a Chef and ran restaurants, he literally started to tremble and offered me a free meal to return.
- repeat customerletsdineoutDined on 8/5/2014City Landing is always good. Nice choices and service. Love the bar area, wine options and bar bites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well donefoodieDined on 7/31/2014city landing is a gem. it is all about the food. after dining at cl a few times we are impressed with the creativity of the chef and the consistency. whether you are visiting or a local this is a great choice.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunch experienceTK11Dined on 7/31/2014Went there after the aquarium with the kids. I had the shrimp n' grits that I love! It's yummy with plenty of shrimp and sausage. Very flavorful. Ordered fish and chips for the kids (it's not on the kids menu, but they accommodated the order). Service is polite & attentive. Good place to go to if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SilkeVIPDined on 7/31/2014We generally love City Landing... this particular lunch, not as much. While the service and ambiance and some food were good, it was (1) Just too expensive for what we had for lunch, $71 for two, basically for sandwiches and coffee; (2) Soft-shelled crab (sandwich) was a real disappointment as the crab had been fried in some used oil which made it taste fishy and oily (like bad seaside French fries) rather than having much of its own delicious delicate crabby flavor. Also, without asking, our server gave us still water with no ice, and we had to ask for (house-made, delicious) sparkly water with ice (luckily we knew they had it). So this was the first inkling I've had that City Landing isn't always PERFECT!Special Features:
- entertaining waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Our waiter was very friendly without being intrusive. My veggie burger was yummy.
- Amazing!GabyDined on 7/26/2014I loved the interior design and ambiance. The staff was superb, the food was delicious - my favorite was the bread pudding desert!!! must have!! One of my top and favorite places to go. For sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingNConnollyDined on 7/25/2014Last minute decision to get together for dinner with a few friends and we had no problem getting reservations on a Friday evening. Even when an extra friend joint us there was no problem accommodating us. The drink menu is very nice with a good wine menu as well. The mussels I had were very tasty steamed in a light creamy sauce with diced tomatoes. I also enjoyed the salmon on a bed of white and green beans. Very unique. The menu did have great vegetarian options as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capecodgirlDined on 7/25/2014Food and service are always great. Love the scallops and the lamb ragout is delicious! Location is also convient.Special Features:
- ClienthostDined on 7/24/2014Very good food and well presented. We had excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely come back!SuzeQDined on 7/23/2014The gluten free/vegetarian menu was full of interesting dishes. I got the GF Maplebrook Farms Burrata With Heirloom Tomatoes sald with Aged Balsamic and Basil -- and it was very tasty. For my entree I selected the Curried Seitan Vegan Squash Ravioli in a Curried Carrot-Coconut Broth with Baby Carrots and Fresh Peas and it was very good. I look forward to visiting again to try another dish when I'm back in Boston on business.Special Features:
- Mostly hits (with a few misses)AmyBVIPDined on 7/20/2014Loved the vegetarian menu! The squash pizza was delicious and the gazpacho (though visually unappealing) was very good. The seitan dinner with ravioli was also delicious, but the blackened tofu salad was pretty blah....where was the blackened anything? I had a very pale piece of tofu that lacked any flavor. But the best thing we ate was the vegan brownie...swap out the banana gelato for the salted caramel gelato and that is as good a dessert as you would eat anywhere (don't bother with the pots de creme-bland and next to the brownie lacked any chocolate flavor).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFantamicDined on 7/20/2014Went for lunch. the soft shell crab sandwich was delicious. The GF pizza was very good too. Service was excellent and they were able to accomodate a few requests "out-of-menu" for the kids.Special Features:
- A Great Experience!JimGVIPDined on 7/19/2014As expected, the food was very good. The waterfront was pretty crowded as one would expect on a Saturday in mid-Summer, and the Restaurant was no exception. Despite the crowd, the service was still outstanding and overall a great experience!Special Features:
- A GREAT LOCAL FINDfirstgirlDined on 7/19/2014We need to find something local where we were staying near the Wharf in Boston since we were attending a concert that night and City Landing was the place. We started with clam chowder, the best I ever tasted; calamari, superb; the trio spread with pita bread excellent and the chicken wings spicy. Our main course choices were scallops which my daughter raved over, the lobster choice which my younger daughter was so happy about not having to crack the shells, tuna which melted in your mouth my husband described and salmon with white beans which tasted fantastic. I also felt nothing was over salted which I hate because I blow up like a balloon from restaurant food. Overall we were very happy.Special Features:
- Slowest service ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014We waited almost an hour for our food to arrive, the restaurant wasn't busy and it was inexcusable. They also forgot our appetizer.
- City LandingKikaDined on 7/17/2014The salad was great. A mix of arugula, strawberry, goat cheese and caramelized nuts. The pizza dough was too hard, I wouldn't recommend to order pizza there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor servicejasonfDined on 7/17/2014I was excited to try City Landing, especially for their gluten free and vegetarian menus. The food did not disappoint. I had salmon on a bed of tasty beans and tomatoes, my wife had clam chowder that she described as "like home-made" and my daughters were pleased, one with a GF pizza and the other with very creamy mashed potatoes. The problem, though, was that our server was demonstrably more interested in the table of four young women behind us than he was in providing attentive service to my family. Watching him visit them again and again while we waited -- even for the menus -- was a deeply frustrating experience. City Landing clearly wants to appeal to a wide array of diners, but my server did not live up to this ideal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic!hallebingoVIPDined on 7/14/2014I work in the area and this is my new favorite restaurant. A friend who is vegan introduced me to it because they have some of the best options around and it is DELICIOUS. I always get the salmon and it's some of the best I've ever had. The fregola is also amazing but isn't currently being offered on the menu. Extra points to them because last time I went, they saw that I ate there often (via my OpenTable reservations) and offered me and my girlfriends a free dessert. Good food, nice ambiance, customer appreciation and friendly staff. It just doesn't get any better than that!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We found this restaurant through a web search. It was highly recommended on a site written by area chefs. My husband and I were there with his brother who was visiting from St. Paul. We all had a great time from cocktails though dessert! We all loved the shared starters and our individual entrees. Our waitstaff was knowledgeable and we ordered a number of AJ's suggestions and recommendations. We will definitely return. Thank you.Special Features:
- Nice place for lunchRichSVIPDined on 7/9/2014Ate outside for lunch where the whole seating area is nicely shaded at that time of day. Duck Bruschetta with Foie Gras was excellent. The baked Lamb Bolognese was also very tasty. Wine list by the glass was OK, but lacked spicy reds (Red Zin, Shiraz) which are only available by the bottle.
- SBJenSBJenDined on 7/8/2014Great food and amazing lobster rolls. Found this place on trip advisor and it was pricier than the 2 "$$" listing but so glad we stayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/6/2014Had such a wonderful experience at City Landing this Sunday! Everything was exquisite from the decor to the food and service! We had the lobster rolls for an appetizer and I was blown away--so delicious! For our entrees we had the lamb bolognese and buffalo meatloaf, and cleaned our plates it was so delicious! The service was outstanding throughout our time at City Landing! Thank you for making our evening special!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, children out of controlJessieUVIPDined on 7/2/2014The food was really good, service was nice, but our whole dinner experience was really soured by the mommy group with 10 kids under the age of 5 screaming and letting them run around the whole place and climbing on the furniture.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!SkipDined on 6/29/2014The whole experience was very pleasant. Waitstaff was very attentive, the food was delicious and the right temperature. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside. We will go back again.Special Features:
- Good pizzas but very slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2014The only good thing this place has to offer are the pizzas. The rest of the food is nothing's special. The service was very slow even though the restaurant wasn't full at all. Next time I would consider doing take out instead of going in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Service both from Waitor & BarDisappointmentVIPDined on 6/28/2014No parking whatsoever. Wait to be seated. Waitor took a long time to initially come to table, 15 mins to get our drinks, whenever we were lucky enough to see our Waitor across the room would have to get his attention, even the manager saw our frustration but he didn't even come over to check on things, food was the only good thing but not worth returning nor recommending.
- Another great mealkwexelVIPDined on 6/28/2014We live in Boston suburbs and had a great meal last summer and returned again for a beautiful night along the water. Great menu and food. We sat outside and enjoyed the crowds. Pretty weak service however with a very junior staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShazzawilsonShazzaDined on 6/27/2014Good to find an establishment that focuses on food quality more than quantity. Choice was excellent and service was discreet but very good. Well worth a visit. Wine choice excellent with a whole range of global wines to match your food choice. Keep up the good work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friends and parentsMerlincrystDined on 6/25/2014We had dinner there last night and I picked the place based on my mum being vegetarian and being quite hard to cater for. That and my guested wanted to sample Boston seafood, this place was an excellent choice and we all had a great meal. Service was excellent despite the place being very busy. The only down side was the nose level which was so high we were shouting to hold a conversation around a round table. Would go back but would try to find a quiet corner to eat inSpecial Features:
- Perfect for mixed cuisineDiningFromIndiaDined on 6/23/2014Took a colleague and his wife visiting from India to the restaurant. Has a very appealing vegetarian menu. Meal and drinks were ideal for weekday meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls night outTrendyspotloverDined on 6/20/2014Really enjoyed having great cocktails with friends. The drinks were great and the food was delicious however it took 25 minutes to get drinks each round and the service was slow. The server also put in the wrong menu item for one of the dinner attendees and and did not take it off the bill till we requested he did for his mistake.Special Features:
- Perfect Father's Day BrunchnorthendnativeDined on 6/15/2014I came to City Landing with my family for Father's Day brunch and we had a great time. My sister and I got the french toast, my girlfriend got the shrimp and grits and dad got the eggs Benedict. All of the food was delicious and we had a very enjoyable time sitting outside people watching. The service was a bit slow but we were in no rush and were enjoying each others company so it wasn't an issue.Special Features:
- EnjoyableWineDined on 6/7/2014The food was good, I wasn't blown away but I actually came for the drinks. The first time I came we had a wonderful bartender. We thought he might be working so we brought our cousin for her birthday. We ordered old fashions, they were extremely strong and hard to drink, extremely bitter. My cousin went to the bartender to ask if she can get her drink re-poured and the bartender was extremely rude. He told her he didn't know what to tell her, that's the way the drink is which was a lie. I just don't understand why he couldn't make the drink over for her and if he didn't know how to make it, why not just say so? other than that our waiter was nice and attentive but seemed a little overwhelmed.