255 State Street
Boston, MA 02109Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.citylanding.com/
- Phone: 6177250305x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 9:30am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Brodsky
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off premise catering options are available. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Entertainment: A sophisticated and eclectic collection of world, jazz and contemporary music sets the tone for this modern yet comfortable space.
- Special Events: City Landing hosts special events. They can be found on the restaurant's website at http://www.citylanding.com/news-and-events
- Cross Street: State Street and Atlantic Avenue
- Public Transit: Directly across the street from City Landing is the Aquarium Station T-stop (on the Blue Line), Long Wharf Ferry Terminal, Water Taxi Dock and Hubway Bicycle Station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Validated Parking is available at the Rowes Wharf Garage. Simply bring your parking slip and present it to your server for validation.
$12 Nights and Weekends, $27 All Day Parking
30 Rowes Wharf
Boston MA 02110
Several garages and parking lots are in the immediate area within a five minute stroll of City Landing.
A word from City Landing
City Landing is a contemporary, upscale-casual restaurant located at 255 State Street, serving lunch and dinner seven days a week with Sunday brunch. Forbes Four-Star award winning Chef/Owner Bill Brodsky prepares contemporary American cuisine that meets an energetic and casually sophisticated design, care of Boston's Stephen Sousa. Open airy windows overlook Long Wharf and the Rose Kennedy Greenway; just seconds away from Faneuil Hall, the NE Aquarium and Harbor. A convivial and comfortable setting sees splashes of mint green and rich mahogany, accented by natural quartz stone inlaid with mosaic glass tiles and chic high end lighting. The menu features a large variety of American fare including thoughtful seafood dishes, artisan pizzettas, creative salads and a bounty of carefully crafted entrees produced from locally indigenous ingredients. The bar features small plate tapas, specialty cocktails, local distilleries, local brews on tap, and a reasonably priced wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
City Landing reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)great for outdoor dining (50)good for groups (42)special occasion (42)great for lunch (40)romantic (33)neighborhood gem (29)scenic view (21)kid-friendly (18)great for brunch (16)hot spot (15)notable wine list (12)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (5)Show More
- CitySlickersDined on 9/16/2014Friendly and attentive staff with great senses of humor! Our waitress was attentive but not overbearing and made us feel at home.Special Features:
- Good food, reasonably pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/16/2014At 6pm on a Tuesday night the dining area was fairly empty, but it filled up quickly over the next 2 hours. The service was good, the food was great, and the prices were reasonable. We ate indoors, but the outdoor seating looked like it would be a great choice when the weather permits.Special Features:
- Vegan FriendlyGDFLSDined on 9/12/2014Happy to have them offer a specific menu for vegetarian / vegan dinners! The service was excellent and very attentive to our dietary needs. The food was exceptional and well thought out - not just 'oh here is a salad' type dish for alternative dinners.Special Features:
- Yummy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Ladies night out with a group of old friends. I saw a piece about City Landing on Chronicle so I suggested it. We all loved it! The service was great, food was outstanding. We had the pizzettes which were amazing, Scallop signature dish to die for! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new findLuvgoodfoodDined on 9/5/2014I took a friend here for her birthday and we had a terrific experience. The staff was very attentive and accommodated my food issues and made me a special dish.They presented a delicious dessert for my friend, including writing her name and happy birthday on the dish. The ambiance was lovely and included outside seating. One thing- the mini lobster rolls were to die for. They were buttery and sweet. We had these as an appetizer and both agreed we could have 4 orders each and be totally satiated and happy.Special Features:
- good foodLyndaDined on 9/3/2014Good food, good service, great outdoor seating. I would recommend this restaurant to those who are visiting Boston and for those who live in Boston.Special Features:
- Nice restaurantMartinDined on 9/2/2014Overall, we had a positive experience at this restaurant. The food is very good and servings are adequate. The service was friendly. It was very quiet and the ambiance was somehow ''too'' quiet. It is a big dining room and and it was empty. The waiter explained that it was the transition period between summer clients and reguar locals. Maybe this good be alleviated by music or a different lighting set up. We are New York City regulars and used too a little more life.Special Features:
- So SoLoveGoodFoodVIPDined on 8/30/2014At the beginning, we felt reused by the waiter and then as the meal progressed, he was hard to find and not very attentive. Fried calamari and heirloom tomato side was delicious ... Meatloaf and Ahi tuna mains not so successful ... Seems like the chef was really heavy handed with the salt. Desert special of peaches and cream was ok if you don't want anything sweet ... Eating a ripe peach is a lot sweeter.
- Great dining experience!DebbieNHDined on 8/30/2014We dined at City Landing for the first time this weekend and they did not disappoint. Everything was wonderful from the delicious food to the wait staff. We were not rushed at all and this made for a very enjoyable dining experience. We ordered the red sangria which was great and were served warm delicious rolls. My husband ordered the gazpacho which was very flavorful and I had the clam chowder and was one of the best that I have had. The scallops served with mushroom ravioli was a highlight of the meal and super good. Dessert was also very yummy. We shared the coconut tart was was creamy and delicious. We will definitely return again.Special Features:
- Gavin123Dined on 8/30/2014Our friends at the Boston Harbor Hotel recommended City Landing, and we were not disappointed. It was a quite lunch scene for Labor Day. However, when we came back after our Duck Tour, it was hoping inside and out. Great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible Servie/Overpriced FoodBella25VIPDined on 8/29/2014We arrived at the restaurant at 7:30pm on a Friday night and the restaurant was empty and there was even a private party taking up half the restaurant. We were seated and the waitress came over took our drink order when she came back she took our appetizer order. She never came back to the table again until it was 8pm. We still hadn't ordered and hadn't received our appetizers, which was tomato salad and mussels - itemsf that shouldn't take long to make especially no other guests. She finally came back to take our order, apps came, but we didn't get our food until 8:45pm. Afterward she NEVER came back to the table to check on everything and refill drinks until she dropped off the check. Terrible service and food wasn't worth the price.
- consistently deliciousalavalleyDined on 8/28/2014every time i come, the food continues to be great.
- Never disappointsladylukeDined on 8/25/2014This is my go-to place for lunch with friends. I am always impressed by the elegant setting and by the fact that anyone casually dressed is made to feel welcome. The servers are very knowledgable about the menu. This most recent visit I spent some time at the bar, and I was pleased with the thoughtful advice of the bartender when I was hesitating over a wine selection. The food is excellent overall, but for those of us who need to eat gluten-free, this is THE place to go. It is a joy to order soups and other items with no need to worry if the kitchen is paying attention to allergies. And I always have a side of one of their fantastic fries. The truffle fries may be a little expensive, but they are worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loyal dinersJaneolVIPDined on 8/24/2014We eat lunch or dinner there most Sundays. The food is always wonderful. I recently had a dinner sized portion of their mussels which were heavenly. The staff always remembers us and goes out of their way to engage us and give us the very best service! Jane OSpecial Features:
- Nice Lunch OutsideTheOneTNVIPDined on 8/24/2014We had a nice lunch at City Landing. I enjoyed the mini lobster roll appetizer and the Steak Frites. Sitting outside was nice, I guess the only disappointing part is being in view of all the tour busses and tourists. It was a solid experience - nice, and I may go again, but for dinner to get a different perspective.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekEHM282Dined on 8/22/2014We went on a Friday night at 8:30 and it was great. There were only a few other tables of people which may have facilitated the excellent service we received. I decided to try some new dishes starting off with the rabbit sausage. The next dish was the duck cooked medium rare which melted in your mouth. I finished off with the chocolate mousse. Overall the dinner was exceptional and I would recommend this others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot for friendsiluvf00dDined on 8/15/2014I went here with two of my friends, and it was quiet enough for us to have good conversation but still lively enough to be exciting! The food was great, I especially liked the gluten free and vegetarian menu options. I will definitely come back here soon.Special Features:
- Nice venueLyneDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, however we found it a little too salty to our liking. Service was very good and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014We went to City Landing after seeing a television article on the restaurants that use local farm products and how fresh the food at the restaurant was. Made a reservation through Open Table and was most impressed. Upon arrival we were greeted nicely and seated at a street view window seat. Our waiter John O was the best! His enthusiasm and recommendations were most helpful in enhancing our wonderful meal. While it was our first visit, I know it will not be the last. The location is great, but the food is just superb. The scallops were the dish John O suggested, and he was absolutely correct. Hope to see them soon.Special Features:
- Great service & kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/9/2014Not only was the wait service top notch, the the kitchen was extremely accommodating making sure our party's specific dietary restrictions were met. All the food was amazing, unique, and cooked to our specifications. Apart from some noisy Boston motorists, the outdoor dining was very relaxing and comfortable. Overall, an amazing restaurant and a gem, we will definitely come back!Special Features:
- So much to see.JillyDined on 8/8/2014We ate outside on a beautiful, very busy day, so I feel bad rating the noise level. It was noisy, and just what we were looking for while visiting the city for lunch. Everything was perfect here.Special Features:
- All around greatRFV1234Dined on 8/7/2014I am a regular at City Landing taking friends and family. There are always wonderful choices on the menu for each course and the menu changes with new surprises frequentlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soChefKDined on 8/6/2014Our dinner orders were not taken until after the appetizers were cleared, leaving us with bulky menus under our plates. Coffee is served cold, steak frets, although tender and juicy, had no flavor (where was the roasted garlic flavor or salt?) and the fries were under cooked. My niece got the steak as well, hers had flavor but was tough. I did not touch but 3 bites of my meal and was never asked how it was. After we finally paid (2.5 hours later) I approached the manager about the meal, just to let him know. He said there was nothing he could do (I never asked for anything), but as soon as I told him I was a Chef and ran restaurants, he literally started to tremble and offered me a free meal to return.
- repeat customerletsdineoutDined on 8/5/2014City Landing is always good. Nice choices and service. Love the bar area, wine options and bar bites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- well donefoodieDined on 7/31/2014city landing is a gem. it is all about the food. after dining at cl a few times we are impressed with the creativity of the chef and the consistency. whether you are visiting or a local this is a great choice.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunch experienceTK11VIPDined on 7/31/2014Went there after the aquarium with the kids. I had the shrimp n' grits that I love! It's yummy with plenty of shrimp and sausage. Very flavorful. Ordered fish and chips for the kids (it's not on the kids menu, but they accommodated the order). Service is polite & attentive. Good place to go to if you are in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SilkeVIPDined on 7/31/2014We generally love City Landing... this particular lunch, not as much. While the service and ambiance and some food were good, it was (1) Just too expensive for what we had for lunch, $71 for two, basically for sandwiches and coffee; (2) Soft-shelled crab (sandwich) was a real disappointment as the crab had been fried in some used oil which made it taste fishy and oily (like bad seaside French fries) rather than having much of its own delicious delicate crabby flavor. Also, without asking, our server gave us still water with no ice, and we had to ask for (house-made, delicious) sparkly water with ice (luckily we knew they had it). So this was the first inkling I've had that City Landing isn't always PERFECT!Special Features:
- entertaining waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Our waiter was very friendly without being intrusive. My veggie burger was yummy.
- Amazing!GabyDined on 7/26/2014I loved the interior design and ambiance. The staff was superb, the food was delicious - my favorite was the bread pudding desert!!! must have!! One of my top and favorite places to go. For sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accommodatingNConnollyDined on 7/25/2014Last minute decision to get together for dinner with a few friends and we had no problem getting reservations on a Friday evening. Even when an extra friend joint us there was no problem accommodating us. The drink menu is very nice with a good wine menu as well. The mussels I had were very tasty steamed in a light creamy sauce with diced tomatoes. I also enjoyed the salmon on a bed of white and green beans. Very unique. The menu did have great vegetarian options as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- capecodgirlDined on 7/25/2014Food and service are always great. Love the scallops and the lamb ragout is delicious! Location is also convient.Special Features:
- ClienthostDined on 7/24/2014Very good food and well presented. We had excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will definitely come back!SuzeQDined on 7/23/2014The gluten free/vegetarian menu was full of interesting dishes. I got the GF Maplebrook Farms Burrata With Heirloom Tomatoes sald with Aged Balsamic and Basil -- and it was very tasty. For my entree I selected the Curried Seitan Vegan Squash Ravioli in a Curried Carrot-Coconut Broth with Baby Carrots and Fresh Peas and it was very good. I look forward to visiting again to try another dish when I'm back in Boston on business.Special Features:
- Mostly hits (with a few misses)AmyBVIPDined on 7/20/2014Loved the vegetarian menu! The squash pizza was delicious and the gazpacho (though visually unappealing) was very good. The seitan dinner with ravioli was also delicious, but the blackened tofu salad was pretty blah....where was the blackened anything? I had a very pale piece of tofu that lacked any flavor. But the best thing we ate was the vegan brownie...swap out the banana gelato for the salted caramel gelato and that is as good a dessert as you would eat anywhere (don't bother with the pots de creme-bland and next to the brownie lacked any chocolate flavor).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceFantamicDined on 7/20/2014Went for lunch. the soft shell crab sandwich was delicious. The GF pizza was very good too. Service was excellent and they were able to accomodate a few requests "out-of-menu" for the kids.Special Features:
- A Great Experience!JimGVIPDined on 7/19/2014As expected, the food was very good. The waterfront was pretty crowded as one would expect on a Saturday in mid-Summer, and the Restaurant was no exception. Despite the crowd, the service was still outstanding and overall a great experience!Special Features:
- A GREAT LOCAL FINDfirstgirlDined on 7/19/2014We need to find something local where we were staying near the Wharf in Boston since we were attending a concert that night and City Landing was the place. We started with clam chowder, the best I ever tasted; calamari, superb; the trio spread with pita bread excellent and the chicken wings spicy. Our main course choices were scallops which my daughter raved over, the lobster choice which my younger daughter was so happy about not having to crack the shells, tuna which melted in your mouth my husband described and salmon with white beans which tasted fantastic. I also felt nothing was over salted which I hate because I blow up like a balloon from restaurant food. Overall we were very happy.Special Features:
- Slowest service ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014We waited almost an hour for our food to arrive, the restaurant wasn't busy and it was inexcusable. They also forgot our appetizer.
- City LandingKikaDined on 7/17/2014The salad was great. A mix of arugula, strawberry, goat cheese and caramelized nuts. The pizza dough was too hard, I wouldn't recommend to order pizza there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor servicejasonfDined on 7/17/2014I was excited to try City Landing, especially for their gluten free and vegetarian menus. The food did not disappoint. I had salmon on a bed of tasty beans and tomatoes, my wife had clam chowder that she described as "like home-made" and my daughters were pleased, one with a GF pizza and the other with very creamy mashed potatoes. The problem, though, was that our server was demonstrably more interested in the table of four young women behind us than he was in providing attentive service to my family. Watching him visit them again and again while we waited -- even for the menus -- was a deeply frustrating experience. City Landing clearly wants to appeal to a wide array of diners, but my server did not live up to this ideal.I would recommend this to a friend.